The Second Life, Facebook affair is over - Page 8 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » The Second Life, Facebook affair is over

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #176 (permalink)
Display Name

Re-Twittered

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsy Pendragon View Post
FTFY.

MOST people exist in multiple identity circles. They may use the same name, they may use a nickname or even a fictional name: Family, School Friends, Work Friends, Church Friends, Bar Friends, Bowling Friends, Neighbor Friends, Multiple Online Game Friends, Multiple Online Community Friends, ...

If FB were a USEFUL social networking tool, it would allow us to mix or separate the different zones of our 'social network' as we wished, rather than lumping them all together into one big vomitoruim.
Rod Humble gets/got this.
Dusan Writer’s Metaverse Ľ Virtual Dialogues: My Conversation with Rod Humble, CEO of Linden Lab
Quote:
I asked Humble whether he subscribed to the conventional wisdom that in the digital age, privacy is dead:
No, I donít think that the conventional wisdom is the only way to look at it. Privacy is extremely important for anyone putting themselves out there, expressing themselves, or expressing a side of themselves through an avatar. People donít want other people to connect the dots from their avatar to their real life person Ė or even, for that matter, to an alt. One of the ethical obligations we have is to protect peopleís privacy.
People come to Second Life because they want a story, they want to be in a storyÖ.and we have an ethical obligation to protect that.
Iím not so sure that the conventional wisdom makes any sense. Yes, it might be technically easy to track people and all that. But in the long-term Iím optimistic that weíll see the pendulum swing back in the other direction towards more privacy.

The Avatar
Humble doesnít just believe that we need privacy and control over what we disclose Ė he believes the avatar is a powerful and deep-seated vehicle for expressing and exploring ourselves:
ďItís not unlike the persona I portray on Facebook I suppose. I mean, Iím very deliberate about what I post on Facebook. Itís a persona. Iím not sure itís a construct, but itís certainly an aspect of me.
Now, Second Life lets you really extend those dimensions, the ways you can show yourself.
I donít want to get all geeky about it, but I sort of see this day coming when thereís a formalization of identity that happens. We havenít had the tools before to formalize our broken up bits of identity.
See, thereís the me who goes to school meetings with my kids and thatís a very well established identity. And thereís the me who plays shooter games online and I donít want those separate identities to mix up. Itís not appropriate.
We can increasingly go deep on each element of identity and they become more valuable and I canít help thinking that if we formalize the structures around those identities and have the tools to do that it might actually change us Ė it might change the person.
The identity system itself influences the person.
!quit
Sling Trebuchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #177 (permalink)
She Who Is Me

Easy Come, Easy Go

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 9,2007
Client: Firestorm
Has Hamlet weighed in on this yet?
http://brendaconnolly.deviantart.com/
Brenda Connolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #178 (permalink)

Confused

The elephant in the room on Facebook is that the minimum age is thirteen, thirteen year olds are not in a position to agree to sharing the information Facebook insists you must share. I'm not quite sure how they get away with this.
Ciaran Laval is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #179 (permalink)
She Who Is Me

Easy Come, Easy Go

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 9,2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran Laval View Post
The elephant in the room on Facebook is that the minimum age is thirteen, thirteen year olds are not in a position to agree to sharing the information Facebook insists you must share. I'm not quite sure how they get away with this.
Brenda Connolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #180 (permalink)

casu consulto

SL Join Date: July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Connolly View Post
Has Hamlet weighed in on this yet?
He wants FULL Facebook integration, whatever that means.

my blog. mostly pictures.

I have a second blog for SL Forum post counts.
Ossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #181 (permalink)

The Doomsday Clock now stands at 21 seconds to Midnight

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitomi Tiponi View Post
And the chances of that being correctly matched are minimal ....just like with Redzone, who had a large number of users who didn't seem to care about accuracy either.
I think Facebook has better database geeks than Redzone had.

As an example, I took the most common first name (James) and the most common last name (Smith), and a big city (Atlanta), and that narrows it down to 95 people. Now add some additional info, like IP address and ping time, and they can probably narrow that down to a smaller group. Cross check with spouse name, or any other personal info helpfully provided on the FB profile, and I think you can nail it down to a single person.

Even if the name matching is not perfect, it is still commercially valuable. In the days of paper mailing lists, you only needed a statistical connection for it to be a worthwhile list, it didn't have to be perfect.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #182 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Nirans or development daily build
My FB is RL only. It contains my full resume, links only to people I know IRL and only to groups that are part of my RL. Same info as can be found on my linkedIn profile if you know who I am. No SL on MY FB. If I want to comment on techcrunch then I suspect my comments will be given more weight if they are coming from the RL geek with 25+ years experience in the biz than from the fictional borg. Same for slashdot, kos, groklaw, etc.... SLU however has my "real" SL identity and my track record here is predicated on only my SL activities. folks that I know in both worlds and trust sometimes know both. MN has pretty good "stalker laws" that could apply just in case any of them do prove unworthy of that trust too.
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #183 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

It's Chinese.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008
Client: V3 w/Starlight

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
Send a message via Skype™ to Free Xue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Connolly View Post
Good morning, President Tintin. Nice tan.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #184 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Oh, good. I wasn't the only one who saw that.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #185 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

Driver Roll Up The Partition Please

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossian View Post
He wants FULL Facebook integration, whatever that means.
It means his blog having full access to your profiles for marketing information to sell to advertisers on his site.

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #186 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
It means his blog having full access to your profiles for marketing information to sell to advertisers on his site.
I love my hosts file. If everyone blocked all ad services then they would die off.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #187 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
I don't think you understand the term "chilling effect". I gave you a link, but if that's too much trouble for you... Google is your friend.
I understand it perfectly.

Newsflash, it's been of questionable judgment to make public statements under an identity that can be connected to [YOUR_LARGE_COMPANY_HERE] since the dawn of communication.

ZOMG chilling effect!

I don't give a fuck what TechCrunch chooses to do on its own site.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #188 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talwyn Mills View Post
Techcrunch was an example and you say you don't care because you never wanted to comment over there, which is fair enough I suppose.

But lets assume for the moment that for some reason SLU switched to a authentication system that required a facebook account to log in (ignoring for a moment the technical implementation of such a system and the improbability of it happening), would you be happy walking away from a community your so active in (41k posts) or would you complain?

I think I'm safe in saying very few people would say "Oh well" and walk away from something they are so active in.
If it bothered me that much, absolutely.

Or does it only bother you enough to bitch about it, but not enough to follow through with any principled stance? That strikes me as a waste of time.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #189 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
Hi, my name is Abdul Mohammed, from Syria, and there is a big protest going on here (see photo)

Hold on, someone is at the door....

*Bang*

(Sometimes you need to be anonymous)
Oh man. And I thought the comparison of deleted SL Facebook accounts to marginalised minorities was the most ridiculous thing posted in this thread.

Last edited by Joshua Nightshade; 05-21-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #190 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Quote:
FTFY.
That's not remotely close to what I said, and as I haven't called anyone at all "stupid," I find it highly offensive that you'd misrepresent what I did say.

Yes, I find the "freedom protests" over disabled cartoon character avatars to be stupid, but that's quite different from what you proclaimed.

It's not hard logic to follow. It doesn't matter if Jopsy is the identity you prefer to be known as everywhere else. Facebook explicitly underscores REAL LIFE IDENTITY, so unless it's on your birth certificate or you've filed a name change, it's an identity they are disinterested in. If you have a problem with that, don't use the site.

I don't understand where this confuses people so much that they believe throwing tantrums over what a private company chooses to do makes any sense.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #191 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
My FB is RL only. It contains my full resume, links only to people I know IRL and only to groups that are part of my RL. Same info as can be found on my linkedIn profile if you know who I am. No SL on MY FB. If I want to comment on techcrunch then I suspect my comments will be given more weight if they are coming from the RL geek with 25+ years experience in the biz than from the fictional borg. Same for slashdot, kos, groklaw, etc.... SLU however has my "real" SL identity and my track record here is predicated on only my SL activities. folks that I know in both worlds and trust sometimes know both. MN has pretty good "stalker laws" that could apply just in case any of them do prove unworthy of that trust too.
I have no interest in commenting through Facebook on sites like TechCrunch simply because I don't want that shit being published on my wall.

I find it outrageous when any integrated app does that on its own anyway. I downloaded a Facebook client for my Nokia N900 a few months back and when I first logged in, it published "Joshua is checking out Facebook with so and so app!" without even informing me it was going to do that.

I deleted that entry, deleted the app entirely, and wrote a very hostile email to the developer about it.

I certainly don't have any interest in spamming people on my friends list with "Joshua left a comment on so and so blog," so as a feature it completely disinterests me.

I can see where blogs might think it's useful, however. Hoping that if your asinine trolling comment will be attached to a RL identity, perhaps you won't post it, but I think they underestimate how much dumbasses care about being seen as dumbasses. Just look at those tumblr blogs about stupid posts people put on Facebook about Osama being killed.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #192 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

Driver Roll Up The Partition Please

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
I don't think you understand the term "chilling effect". I gave you a link, but if that's too much trouble for you... Google is your friend.

TechCrunch has cut themselves off from honest comments about technology from people working at companies with employment contracts like mine. This seems to me to be a startlingly stupid move for a site that pretends to be doing journalism.
Except you can also comment with a Yahoo account.
Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #193 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Oh god Yahoo's the next Facebook and they hate virtual avatards.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #194 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Nightshade View Post
That's not remotely close to what I said, and as I haven't called anyone at all "stupid," I find it highly offensive that you'd misrepresent what I did say.
yeah yeah, you were so respectful in your disdain for people that use FB how could I possibly take that interpretation of what you said.

Identity is more than a name on a piece of paper. You implied as such yourself, in that there's countless people in FB using the same name as you already so what purpose does that serve?

And seriously... FB has >>>NO RIGHT<<< to access either my birth certificate nor my driver's license without my consent.

They can ask nicely... I can refuse... they can close my account if I don't provide information they request.

They're not allowed to VERIFY my information without my consent, and I'm not granting it.

If things change and suddenly FB can start accessing that kind of private personal data without our consent ... trust me, I'll be disowning family and friends if they don't terminate their FB accounts promptly.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 05-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #195 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Quote:
yeah yeah, you were so respectful in your disdain for people that use FB how could I possibly take that interpretation of what you said.
Disdain for people who use Facebook? Um, I use Facebook. Are you even paying attention?

Quote:
Identity is more than a name on a piece of paper.
We're not getting into this esoteric discussion. It's irrelevant. Identity is defined by Facebook in their terms of service. If your identity does not match that definition, it has no relevance to anything else. This is not wishy-washy woulds and shoulds and coulds, it's in the ToS.

Quote:
And seriously... FB has >>>NO RIGHT<<< to access either my birth certificate nor my driver's license without my consent.

They can ask nicely... I can refuse... they can close my account if I don't provide information they request.

They're not allowed to VERIFY my information without my consent, and I'm not granting it.
More hyperbole?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #196 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
Quote:
Oh god Yahoo's the next Facebook and they hate virtual avatards.
Yahoo isn't 'the next' anything.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #197 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
Quote:
Disdain for people who use Facebook? Um, I use Facebook. Are you even paying attention?

We're not getting into this esoteric discussion. It's irrelevant. Identity is defined by Facebook in their terms of service. If your identity does not match that definition, it has no relevance to anything else. This is not wishy-washy woulds and shoulds and coulds, it's in the ToS.

More hyperbole?
1) Whatever. Disdain for people who complain about FB and continue to use it then.

2) It is relevant. Proof of Identity as far as FB is concerned is a matter of having people attest that we are who we say we are. I understand and sort-of respect their desire to have one account per physical body... but the matter of what constitutes a "real name" has a lot of gray area in it.

3) And no, it's not hyperbole. I seriously would do just that if FB and government records suddenly became transparent to each other without court-ordered subpoenas.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #198 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Quote:
1) Whatever. Disdain for people who complain about FB and continue to use it then.
So, no, you aren't paying attention. My "disdain" is for people who disregard the fact that Facebook is for real life identities ó NOT Second Life, whether you identify under that name "more" or not ó and then whine when their accounts are shut down because they violated the Terms of Service.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #199 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
Quote:
So, no, you aren't paying attention. My "disdain" is for people who disregard the fact that Facebook is for real life identities ó NOT Second Life, whether you identify under that name "more" or not ó and then whine when their accounts are shut down because they violated the Terms of Service.
Terms of service clarification:

Represent the real you. - Facebook Help Center | Facebook

Quote:
About Facebook's security and warning systems
Represent the real you.
To promote authentic connections and help your friends find you on the site, Facebook requires that everyone sign up using their real names. Nicknames are allowed as long as they are a variation of your real name. If you are known by more than one name, you can fill out your alternate name on the Account Settings page.
Since Jopsy is a variation of my birth-name, it's legit for facebook. If they nuke me I can appeal and probably get it reversed. Jopsy also happens to be my SL name, but that's irrelevant.

Like I said, identity is more than an exact character by character match to some official government record.
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #200 (permalink)
HenchGirl

Mad Scientist Devotee

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2006
Business: Mabbulosity
Client: Exodus
Send a message via Skype™ to Mabb Dilweg
I wonder what the criteria was... I have a couple of avatars on my friends list and none of those were purged...

The Book of Awesome, Revelations 7:18

Mabb Dilweg is offline   Reply With Quote