Numbakulla closing this week - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Numbakulla closing this week

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Nanerpus Disciple

Pondering Pancakes

My Mood:
I love Numbakulla! I've played the game several times since I joined SL (which worked out because I'd always forget where one of those darn shards or keys in between games). I loved the free Numbakulla buildings that you could get for free after you won the game. I always had it in my picks and got a lot of thanks from friends who tried it out. I'll miss it a whole lot.
Fizzgig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:57 AM   #27 (permalink)

Moopfmerising

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2004
Out of everything I did in Second Life, running the competition for teams to submit ideas to develop the Numbakulla sim is probably the thing I'm most proud of. I never thought that, all these years later, it would still be enjoyed by so many people.

I think my original competition info said I'd pay the tier for 6 months (I can't remember exactly) but I know I ended up paying for longer than that so that the finished sim had at least 6 months live because so much fantastic effort had been put into it. There were lots of really good entries, I have them all stored away including the original one for what's there now. I was so happy with Caliandris and her team and what they produced.

Two thumbs up for the whole thing, very proud to have been able to help it happen.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 03-04-2011, 03:28 AM   #28 (permalink)

I'll miss my chance to see it. internet issues caused by cable company dumbasses makes anything more than short website visits impossible.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Kind Healer

SL Join Date: July 2004
Shorah,

Though I'm saddened by the island finally closing, I'm still uplifted by the fact that it lasted so long, and I was able to help initially. It was the first - and only - island ever on my billing account, and that was an experience all its own back then.

Ah well, now I have to finally login so I can reset my home point.

/salute
Alan Kiesler
Alan Kiesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #30 (permalink)

25 forevah! in SL at least

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2004
Business: Mediverse
Client: Mostly Firestorm
I've been inundated with requests to keep Numbakulla open, and to find a way around the problem. I am doing my best, but $230 US per month is way beyond my means at the moment. The tier date is March 19, and I announced the closure this week to give myself time to sort everything out. I will keep it open as long as I can.

Ratt Foo tells me that of 28,500 people who started the game, around 10% finished it. Some more than once!

Alan, you were one of the people I thanked in my original message, and one of the people who was most instrumental in getting us over the first year of operation. If it hadn't been for you and some of the other donors, Numba would have closed around December 2005.
Caliandris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Business: Solace Beach Estates
Client: Singularity
Ask each of the people who wants it to stay open to pledge to contribute $5/mo towards the tier.

Whenever something like this happens, I see cries of "oh nooooo" and "Save Such-and-Such!" But every time, it closes anyway. It seems people are more than willing to howl and wail for someone else to fix the problem, but not to put their money where their mouth is.

I find games like Numbakulla to be too frustrating...it's just my personal limitation. I hope it survives, but can't put any $ behind something I haven't played. Sorry...but I really hope others do.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha Lytton View Post
Whenever something like this happens, I see cries of "oh nooooo" and "Save Such-and-Such!" But every time, it closes anyway.
I disagree. Caledon Mines has stayed open through an ongoing fundraising effort.

Winterfell Libris has been funded by a single donor.

I'm sure there are many other examples.

Evidently Numba itself has always been funded by the kindness of strangers. The time frame is short, though, to pull together a new funding campaign. RL has become very demanding in the last couple of days ... but I am trying to think about it in spare moments.

Really, though, I think LL should have a small budget item for maintaining historical sims. Similar to what they evidently did for Svarga. If I still knew any executive Lindens, I would speak to them about Numba. But I don't.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
Had enough

My Mood:
Well, for what it's worth, I'd be willing to put my money where my mouth is. I can't shoulder a major burden anymore than Caliandris can, but I could toss a US$10 or so a month toward tier. I just canceled my WoW account because I was bored to death with it. What better thing could I do with that money than help keep one of the Grande Dames of Second Life afloat?

I don't know though if Caliandris would want to be beholden to a bunch of flakey Second Life donors. Trying to keep the donation stream alive requires a fair amount of work. Anyone in the US and listens to public radio is going to be familiar with that.
Loraan Fierrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraan Fierrens View Post
I don't know though if Caliandris would want to be beholden to a bunch of flakey Second Life donors. Trying to keep the donation stream alive requires a fair amount of work.
I, too, would be willing to make some contribution. But as you say (and Ayesha points out indirectly), it requires a lot of work and coordination to support a tier from miscellaneous contributors.

I don't think Caliandris should dip into her own pockets to keep Numbakulla running right now, if there is no realistic expectation of future funding. Should someone succeed in pulling it together, LL can always put it back up.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #35 (permalink)
Old Cynic

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliandris View Post
I've been inundated with requests to keep Numbakulla open, and to find a way around the problem. I am doing my best, but $230 US per month is way beyond my means at the moment.
It's very understandable, but such a shame. Numbakulla was a great idea well-implemented. Like Svarga, it's a place I've often recommended to people as somewhere which shows off what SL should be all about.

Have you considered (and I know this would be a lot of work!) setting it up on Inworldz (it's a lot cheaper than SL)? Or maybe one of the other OpenSim grids?

Erich Templar
Textures, prefabs, more textures....
http://www.templarcreations.com
Templar Creations Main Store (SLURL)
SL Marketplace Merchant Page
Erich Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
The only thing that I can think of that might work as an idea is if there's a way to get people to donate spare tier to a group that somehow can be rented to a tier buyer (like that land guy used to do - Elanthius?)

If you ask for people to donate each month it's a nightmare and won't work unless you can get LL to take it from each of the volunteers (as unlikely as hell) and I'd hate to be in the position of having to round up everyone and try to scrape together and shortfall each month.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #37 (permalink)

Posted in the "Favorite Destinations" section of LL's new forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
You know what would be neat is if LL, as a demonstration project, backed the redevelopment of Numbakulla using a mix of mesh, sculpties and prims. Same game, up-to-date execution. Free sim during development and up to 6 months afterward. Token payment for team members, but lots of visibility and press.

If I heard any interest from LL for that, I'd be willing to step in, carry the tier on the current sim for a month of planning, and maybe even lead the project if none of the creative team wanted to.

/stares into a Linden's eyes. I know you're reading your brand new forum.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #38 (permalink)
Pink Narcissus

SL Join Date: June 2005
I only just heard about the closure so wanted to post something.

Numbakulla was the first place I visited in SL back in 2005 that showed me there was a lot more to discover beyond the endless shopping malls, attachable genitalia and Tringo. It was somewhere I spent many hours and over the years I introduced it to most of my friends. There was a very special and unique atmosphere, created by the integrity and talent of the exceptional team behind it, playing the game and unravelling the clues was a total joy, as was simply hanging out there appreciating the ambience.

Thank you to Caliandris and the rest of the Numbakulla team.

-Arahan-
Arahan Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #39 (permalink)

25 forevah! in SL at least

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2004
Business: Mediverse
Client: Mostly Firestorm
Due to the generosity of several donors, Numbakulla can stay afloat for another month. Sleep deprivation and the lurgy having seized my brain, I thought we needed a lot more Lindens than we do, and so I now have another month's tier from the donations made in the last few days.

I've been inundated with goodwill messages and requests that we find a way to save Numbakulla, and I will certainly be trying to explore all of these in the next month. I will check with the donors whether they are happy to be acknowledged or would prefer not to be exposed, but I thank them accordingly... I have been very touched by all the support and praise of the past few days.

Not sure if I should start another thread to let people know...?
Cali

Last edited by Caliandris; 03-05-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo
Caliandris is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 03-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #40 (permalink)
syncing with reality

My Mood:
ok, so I've decided to try to finish this and collect the booty but despite there being two of us clambering over this plot of land we're stuck.

the hardest thing about it is not knowing just how many of each we've got to collect. We've got all the shards but are missing a notecard and possibly some keys (or perhaps we're missing the doors for them) and are definitely missing a couple of items, cos the seed growers won't play nice.

we've combed that damn island for hours and can't find anything new.

at the risk of giving the game away - does anyone know

what we need to do to get the container for the water pump?
what items are missing that stops us getting the seeds to grow and is there a texture like the safe one to give us clues?
we seem to have 2 keys we can't find the doors for, this silver and brass..
and we have a wrench that doesn't seem to be needed anywhere..

since we're probably into the final weeks of this (unless a kind soul has been found) I'm hoping someone will break the silence and give me some clues. We're going back in tomorrow night but will only have a couple of hours to try to get it finished and that will probably be the last time before it closes unless luck is on Callandris' side, so any help is appreciated.

eta: and Callandris, the rolling restart might have broken the airship again. we were in your sim for something like 7 hours and didn't see it once.

Last edited by Couldbe Yue; 03-15-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: forgot about the airship
Couldbe Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #41 (permalink)
Friend of Forman

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/14/2004
Send a message via Yahoo to Jack Belvedere
I can't afford to donate toward tier but if I can help by putting out information and landmarks to the sim, do you have a donation box there? we're modest traffic but may be able to at least bring the sim to more peoples' attention when they visit.
Jack Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #42 (permalink)
Mercenary of Illusion

Disruptive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2004
Business: Skybox Nirvana, Tenth Muse Furniture
I don't necessarily think LL should be saving historic sims, but I do think they should provide a way for people to donate tier towards a private sim like they can towards group land held on the mainland. I'd be happy to donate my open 512 tier towards a cause like this, and I doubt I'm alone.

SLU: I came for the community. I stayed for the derails.

Visit my Marketplace Store!
Isablan Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #43 (permalink)

Confused

If it's mainland then certainly advertise that land tier donations are welcomed, people might see that as a way of supporting it without feeling it's hitting them in the pocket, because of how tier works, plenty of people have a spare few metres knocking about.
Ciaran Laval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #44 (permalink)

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isablan Neva View Post
I don't necessarily think LL should be saving historic sims, but I do think they should provide a way for people to donate tier towards a private sim like they can towards group land held on the mainland. I'd be happy to donate my open 512 tier towards a cause like this, and I doubt I'm alone.
They have discussed this, how far they got with the discussions I have no idea, but Jack Linden mentioned it once or twice.
Ciaran Laval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #45 (permalink)
2つの文化の間立ち往生

*SLU Supporter*

Rock On!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan. 2008
Business: K-10
i will have to go take a look before it goes away. this is first i have heard of it as well. though i was never a big fan of myst it looks like a beautiful sim just to look at.

Kirari Kujisawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
Content Provider

Hatsjoeh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/30/2006
While it is always sad to hear that sims are closing it is inevitable and part of the game. You create your scenery and you build some kind of business around it to pay for the tier. When the time comes that your venture doesn't generate enough cash to pay the rent then you will need to shut down, simple as that.

If you want your sim to survive you need to adjust to the market and find a way to increase your income, just like real life, be it in sale or in gifts.

There is however always the possibility to find friends to share the load. Find a few people and pay for the sim together. $ 295,- a month is a lot but not when you can devide it by, let's say 5 people.

I do think however that LL should adopt very and I say only very special sims. Those sims are in fact the showcase for LL and Secondlife. I am not talking about the current sims in the Destination Guide because most of the sims listed there shouldn't be in there at all.

Ami
Amiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Laughed:
Old 03-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #47 (permalink)
Had enough

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldbe Yue View Post
what we need to do to get the container for the water pump?

Quote:
what items are missing that stops us getting the seeds to grow and is there a texture like the safe one to give us clues?
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #48 (permalink)
syncing with reality

My Mood:
ta

Quote:
that's what I thought but I've sat, touched, inspected and growled at every one I could find and no joy

Quote:
I assumed that as well simply because of the message it gave but after another 3 hours of fruitlessly trying to find the container (and the one notecard we don't have) we've given up.

I probably will try to scoot back in to have a look one more time and I did want to get some pics for posterity. sigh, I may never escape that place!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #49 (permalink)
Had enough

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldbe Yue View Post
that's what I thought but I've sat, touched, inspected and growled at every one I could find and no joy
Ugh. I'm an idiot and told you the wrong thing. That's not a spoiler, but this is:

Old 03-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #50 (permalink)
syncing with reality

My Mood:
we've got all of those bar the
can you remember how you got it? i thought the
might hold the clue but it doesn't.. and it's interesting you have

hehehe I'm having fun with those spoiler tags