Full Perm Skins - SLUniverse Forums

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ten

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/7/2006

Awards: 1
Thwarting a Potential Drama Attack 
Full Perm Skins

Legit, for sale by the creator at a place called "Another Shop".

Post @ SCD:
Remember how we said we were gone for the holidays… but we’d come back if something groundbreaking happened?

Well, the Another Shop creator Eloh Eliot released new skins - that INCLUDE the source files, full perm.

What does this mean for the skinners of SL? I believe it means that many of them just lost some business. One friend remarked to me, “I won’t have to buy any skins now!” … she can make her own! Given that she’s a fiend for Tete-a-Pied, chances of her going back there when she needs another skin are now more slim than they were before. She can take the Another Shop files and create anything to fit her very makeup needs… and with four different shades of skin! This doesn’t mean that Another Shop will now fail… actually, it means Eloh Eliot will succeed more. Plus, she always has the chance to create a new line of skins, not open source, and sell them again. When I visited last night, Another Shop was lagtastic with all the avatars scrambling to get copies of the files. I even downloaded them for one girl and emailed them to her, because she’s currently down and out without SL but has photoshop - so she can play with the files to her heart’s content.

So what do the other skin creators think of this? Feel free to leave your thoughts below. (Link: http://shoppingcartdisco.com/ )

Shopping Cart Disco
http://www.shoppingcartdisco.com

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Evil Genius

Parental guidance needed

My Mood:
Not new - I've seen at least two people offering this on shop.onrez - but at a substantial price. How much is this one?
Daisy Rimbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Most Appropriate  Forum Avatar 
Depends on how good the basic skin is.

If it's good, why not. I'm not a skin maker but something like this was going to happen, people want to do things themselves. If they can use photoshop and want to tinker with a quality basic skin, why not. It's not going to put skin makers out of business, not everyone can or wants to do this themselves.

I could have but never bothered because I knew I would drive myself insane over a skin. I was happy to just buy.

Same with clothes.

I really don't want to make everything myself, heh.
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
I BUY LAND

Feels most comfortable around misfits.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 05
Business: Sarah Nerd Mainland Holdings

Awards: 2
Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
I bought a few skins this way exclusive rights to but I paid out the ass for them. I have seen 4 or 5 others out there that aren't sold exclusively and have been passed a few like this files and all in freebie boxes. Even with my own skin store, and skins in my freebie area I still buy quality skins from shops if I like them. I just bought and am currently wearing an abyss skin because I liked the eye make up so much.

www.SarahNerd.com
http://www.your2ndplace.com/sarahnerd
Sarah Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Blinded with SCIENCE!

www.girlgeniusonline.com

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Legit, for sale by the creator at a place called "Another Shop".

Post @ SCD:
Remember how we said we were gone for the holidays… but we’d come back if something groundbreaking happened?

Well, the Another Shop creator Eloh Eliot released new skins - that INCLUDE the source files, full perm.

What does this mean for the skinners of SL? I believe it means that many of them just lost some business. One friend remarked to me, “I won’t have to buy any skins now!” … she can make her own! Given that she’s a fiend for Tete-a-Pied, chances of her going back there when she needs another skin are now more slim than they were before. She can take the Another Shop files and create anything to fit her very makeup needs… and with four different shades of skin!
Uh, Sky Fall much?

Not to rain on a perfectly good Panic...but haven't residents been able to make their own skins from the very beginning? How is one freebie skin texture going to make every resident who's too lazy/non-photoshop-skilled suddenly get crazy with the image manipulation, and put all the creative designers who have different artistic skin designs out of work?

Heck, the only thing that texture does for me is realize that skin construction is like the process of making hot dogs...I don't really want to look at the product in process.

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle."

“I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat. And then on some dark, cold night I will steal away into your home and punch you in the face!” - Sue Sylvester, "Glee"
Liona Clio is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liona Clio View Post
Uh, Sky Fall much?

Not to rain on a perfectly good Panic...but haven't residents been able to make their own skins from the very beginning? How is one freebie skin texture going to make every resident who's too lazy/non-photoshop-skilled suddenly get crazy with the image manipulation, and put all the creative designers who have different artistic skin designs out of work?

Heck, the only thing that texture does for me is realize that skin construction is like the process of making hot dogs...I don't really want to look at the product in process.
It's the quality of the basic skin texture, Liona.

Sure, anyone can slap a flat skin color on the template. It will also look awful. What makes a skin great is the attention to detail, before all the make up, the variations in skin tone, the balance between realism and "hand drawn", which is personal.

I mean if Gala sold a base skin full-perm I would buy it instantly. Because I love her skins.

But I may not like these so it's not going to make any difference if I don't. And even if I did, it's still a lot of work to put the make-up on just right. I'm very anal compulsive over details which is why I avoided the whole thing. I would spend a week on a clock face, forget about a skin face, lol.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ten

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Rimbaud View Post
Not new - I've seen at least two people offering this on shop.onrez - but at a substantial price. How much is this one?
Free.

The skin you see pictured is the face from the downloadable files. The skins are very well produced.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Free.

The skin you see pictured is the face from the downloadable files. The skins are very well produced.
Wow. Free, eh?

Interesting.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mercenary of Illusion

Disruptive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2004
Business: Skybox Nirvana, Tenth Muse Furniture
More of Anshe's program to make SL "affordable?"
Isablan Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ten

My Mood:

God, I hope this has nothing to do with Anshe.

I think of it more along the lines of what Radiohead did recently with their newest CD - offered it for free.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

You know what is going to happen, though.

These are full perm. So everyone and their neighbor is going to slap some make-up on them and sell them.

Their value will plummet.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ten

My Mood:

That's exactly what I mentioned on SCD and exactly what I'm afraid of happening.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
huh?

My Mood:
Quote:
Free.

Err, free yes, but I'll gladly pay for any future skins seeing what free looks like.
Polymorphous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
That's exactly what I mentioned on SCD and exactly what I'm afraid of happening.
But Tenshi, they will be recognizable as "those freebie skins". It won't effect the other skin makers because they will have their own, unique skins.

There are plenty of cheaper skins on the market that a lot of people don't buy because they simply don't like them. When I started buying Gala, they were considered expensive, although they aren't anymore. I didn't care because they were what I wanted, I liked that look.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Blinded with SCIENCE!

www.girlgeniusonline.com

My Mood:
Again, Liona Shrugged.

Skins are works of art. When you buy one, you're getting the equivalent of a print of an artist's work. So, Just because one artist gives away a piece for free, and allows anyone to modify it...it matters not to the sale of other artworks.

Of course, I'm not considering the insanity that can afflict the average SL fashionista.
Liona Clio is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 12-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ten

My Mood:

Calling a skin art is a good, but not quite accurate, assessment. Skins are a necessity in SL for anyone that wants to look "up to date". Owning art in your home isn't. SL adds all kinds of new complexities in.

Io, I can totally see what you're going on there, and I don't like the thought that Eloh's skins might be scorned as "freebie" in the future. That would suck. Her skins are so well made. When she debuted a few months ago, she sold her skins for only $100L a piece, and she has continued doing that - except for last month's release, which included 30 variations of makeup on each shade for $100L.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

:confusedcat:

My Mood:
Business: Breach
I'm unconvinced that they will make more sales this way. The value add is too pointed towards experienced users only who would perhaps already edit normal skins. Also a big question mark of potential lost income when they end up in every cruddy business in a box/freebie set.

The writing in that SCD piece is obnoxious. Fashion is a hugely picky market about brand name and personal taste.
Eata is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 12-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
I BUY LAND

Feels most comfortable around misfits.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 05
Business: Sarah Nerd Mainland Holdings

Awards: 2
Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
These are really nice skins. I kinda like the idea that people can have a nice skin even if they can't afford it. People who can will still buy from designers they like.
Sarah Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ten

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eata View Post
The writing in that SCD piece is obnoxious.

Forgive me if I take personal offense to that; you just called me obnoxious by waypoint. If this isn't any concern for you, then don't bother commenting and being rude.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Calling a skin art is a good, but not quite accurate, assessment. Skins are a necessity in SL for anyone that wants to look "up to date". Owning art in your home isn't. SL adds all kinds of new complexities in.

Io, I can totally see what you're going on there, and I don't like the thought that Eloh's skins might be scorned as "freebie" in the future. That would suck. Her skins are so well made. When she debuted a few months ago, she sold her skins for only $100L a piece, and she has continued doing that - except for last month's release, which included 30 variations of makeup on each shade for $100L.
Edit, wow, I'm frazzled. I can tell they are quality.

But she had to know once they are out there, simply because they are free and anyone can have them, their perceived value will go down. Not because of quality, because of quantity.

And because any idiot who can will scrawl some horrible make-up on it and sell it.

I like that there are no eye-brows, though, that leaves it open to a lot more individual work so maybe I'm being pessimistic. I wish I could change the brows on my skin. (without causing a riot, lol)
Old 12-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
I feel pretty . . .

Caffeine, I need it.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Zeno View Post
I like that there are no eye-brows, though, that leaves it open to a lot more individual work so maybe I'm being pessimistic. I wish I could change the brows on my skin. (without causing a riot, lol)
Yes. We wouldn't want to create an SL version of the eyebrow riots that plagued Victorian England.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

:confusedcat:

My Mood:
Business: Breach
Quote:
Forgive me if I take personal offense to that; you just called me obnoxious by waypoint. If this isn't any concern for you, then don't bother commenting and being rude.
Could you please explain to me how this is not obnoxious:

Quote:
What does this mean for the skinners of SL? I believe it means that many of them just lost some business.
Emphasis yours.

And I don't want to attack you or hate you and stuff. i might be misinterpreting it or overreacting to it. It just came off as very arrogant when I read it.

Last edited by Eata; 12-27-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Eata is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 12-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Account Closed
black belt in life

My Mood:
Business: your mom.
I bought one of the packs for 100L a few weeks ago and grabbed the free packs yesterday. Sure, the skins are well-made, and if I ever make another alt, I know what skin she's gonna get.

But how many people who are new to SL or don't want to spend any money on it know about Another Shop? Though I don't doubt that those skins will be found all over freebie places in no time at all...

Hmm, will be interesting to watch this unfold.

Hopefully this will mean seeing less people running around wearing that godawful "Shy Caramelle" skin and the ripped CS Passport skin.

Er... full perms? So how do I save those images to my computer?
Ingrid N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ten

My Mood:

Open the texture in the SL viewer. (OnRez won't work for this.)

Hit File > Save Texture As, define destination.

Congrats, you now own the .tga file!
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
Now with less padding

My Mood:

Special Achievement in Acronym Usage 
Send a message via AIM to Dancien Graves Send a message via Yahoo to Dancien Graves Send a message via Skype™ to Dancien Graves
Oh look 4 free female skins....absolutely fuckin useless to me....NEXT!
Dancien Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
2 Users Laughed: