The Emerald Problem: A conspiracy theory. - Page 4 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » The Emerald Problem: A conspiracy theory.

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #76 (permalink)
is a pussy.

Laughs and sneers in LOLCat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 8, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vryl Valkyrie View Post
Normally an NDA would not allow this kind of disclosure.. and especially not allow him to work with another viewer.
Old news, explained.

No NDA, didn't sign any non-disparagment agreement, nor a non-compete. He didn't take a severance package, went on to be a contractor, from which he was let go from a month later.

"I suppose so," said Alice.

"Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

"I call it purring, not growling," said Alice.

"Call it what you like," said the Cat.
Hypatia Callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #77 (permalink)

Nitwit magnet

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/07
Client: Firestorm, SL Beta Viewer, NiranV
If Chalice has any sense she's filing her resignation and running screaming for the door to get away from the clowns at Modsys and the drama shytestorm that has ensued.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #78 (permalink)
Account Closed

So he says.. but then that could all be part of the conspiracy. If he were to act as some spy on behalf of Linden Lab, he would need to be convincing enough, now wouldn't he?
Vryl Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #79 (permalink)
A boombox is not a toy!

Lurking with coffee

My Mood:
I totally forgot about this thread, and this is kinda off topic but just to update that I got Imprudence to work. It was an unrelated issue with my ISP.
Ryanna Enfield is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #80 (permalink)
sounds vaguely familiar

Refreshingly Unconcerned With the Vulgar Exigencies of Veracity

SL Join Date: October 24, 2003
Business: Ko Industries
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazimgazov View Post
I'm not terribly surprised. They've also tried to spam my email, which I didn't notice until I checked my spam folder.

Then they messed with Vivox's servers to get my voice account disabled, and stalked me to gloat about it when I hadn't even noticed until they kept bugging me to talk on voice.

Then they allegedly got my ISP account to cut off my internet, which I found out about from people telling me Phox was gloating about it. I'm still using my internet, so I'm assuming someone else's was disabled.

Now my website that I never use or update is being attacked, and I'm the last person to know or care. If they can't even take down a dreamhost hosted site, they're the bunch of assclowns I've always known they were.

Modsys is always good for a lol.

EDIT: Anyways, I guess I'll add a referrer blocker to the .htaccess or something stupid like that.

Kids trying to pull shit like this on me is what I live for, why would I want to make them go away? I will speak with their ISP about it, however.

Total number of requests referred by that page: 16,541,673 (huh, I didn't even notice lag when I was messing with a script on the site a couple days ago)

They used the images that proved they were disclosing private info about their users to launch a DDoS attack against me using their users' bandwith? Nice touch, actually.

Where is Chalice, anyways?
Yeah, you know, I don't know if I've seen Chalice post since LGG quit the Emerald team.

I had no idea this was only one of the latest parts of a whole shit-storm of lame hacking attempts on you. They were really caught with their pants down this time though.
Artemis Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #81 (permalink)
Mootles

Too drive to drink

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2004/2005
Client: c0ff33
Send a message via MSN to Nebula Send a message via Skype™ to Nebula
Quote:
I'm not terribly surprised. They've also tried to spam my email, which I didn't notice until I checked my spam folder.

Then they messed with Vivox's servers to get my voice account disabled, and stalked me to gloat about it when I hadn't even noticed until they kept bugging me to talk on voice.

Then they allegedly got my ISP account to cut off my internet, which I found out about from people telling me Phox was gloating about it. I'm still using my internet, so I'm assuming someone else's was disabled.

Now my website that I never use or update is being attacked, and I'm the last person to know or care. If they can't even take down a dreamhost hosted site, they're the bunch of assclowns I've always known they were.

Modsys is always good for a lol.

EDIT: Anyways, I guess I'll add a referrer blocker to the .htaccess or something stupid like that.

Kids trying to pull shit like this on me is what I live for, why would I want to make them go away? I will speak with their ISP about it, however.

Total number of requests referred by that page: 16,541,673 (huh, I didn't even notice lag when I was messing with a script on the site a couple days ago)

They used the images that proved they were disclosing private info about their users to launch a DDoS attack against me using their users' bandwith? Nice touch, actually.

Where is Chalice, anyways?
This makes me laugh alot as Hazim has his web site running just fine even with all the ddos attempts. Modular must really be hitting the bottom of the barrel. Heck even fail chan could do better then this. Also to add to the fun theories today, code from inertia is in the newer onyx source. Funny isn't it? Given they hate hazim so much, must mean all the actual coders for emerald have left. Also inertia if it was TPV, would be my viewer of choice. Runs fast, works great, doesn't crash. I got to see it in action at my friends house and they have a super old computer.

I hope this will be a nail in emeralds coffin. an attempted attack on someone like this, especially of this magnitude is srs bns.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia Callisto View Post
Old news, explained.

No NDA, didn't sign any non-disparagment agreement, nor a non-compete. He didn't take a severance package, went on to be a contractor, from which he was let go from a month later.
In addition non compete agreements are null and void in California.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #83 (permalink)
Account Closed

That in itself does not disprove a conspiracy *theory* chuckles .. so if we were to continue I find his blog highly suspicious, almost incredible and how old is he? Look at the language.. If he can do more for SL outside SL.. hmm, even as a spy for Linden Lab. As I said, he would have to be convincing but maybe he is a little too convincing. There is such a thing called overkill. Remember, this is merely a theory and all for fun, right? :-)
Old 08-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #84 (permalink)
Information Retrieval

I'm not a malefactor, I'm a lagomorph.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/06/2004
Who gives a shit about the Qarl theories? This thread has proof that every Emerald user was participating in an attack on someone's website just by loading up the client. That's far more rad. The fact that the attack wasn't even noticed by the victim is placing it at risk of becoming full-blown gnarly.

EDIT: This thread needs more Chalice.

Last edited by Belaya; 08-20-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Belaya is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #85 (permalink)
Account Closed

A little offtopic, but I tried Emerald once and hated it. It drained my resources. Personally I prefer 1.23 and that's what I use. I guess most people really went gung-ho for the Emerald with their GoDaddy.com SuperBowl approach.. bouncing boobs and sex sells... and of course all the other little added features. I wish Linden Lab would just zap it. SL users would adapt.

As for sculpties, if you like melted plastic, then you gotta love sculpties. Some are nice.. and most are not. They render poorly and look like a blob of nothingness. So no, I don't need to thank Q for that.. and especially after his unproffessional childish comment, referring to Second Life residents as "whackos" on his blog.. well wow.. grow up Mr. Q. Nice to know what you really think of us.

Anyway, back to conspiracies, I seriously doubt there is one. But they sure are fun entertainment. :-)
Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #86 (permalink)
Squirrelly

Pancakes for all!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vryl Valkyrie View Post
A little offtopic, but I tried Emerald once and hated it. It drained my resources. Personally I prefer 1.23 and that's what I use. I guess most people really went gung-ho for the Emerald with their GoDaddy.com SuperBowl approach.. bouncing boobs and sex sells... and of course all the other little added features.
And the asstacular Viewer Two Point OH! interface.

Support SLU with stuff for your RL: https://society6.com/sluniverse

Squirrel!

Beezle Warburton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #87 (permalink)
Stallmanite

Eating computers

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belaya View Post
This thread has proof that every Emerald user was participating in an attack on someone's website just by loading up the client.
IT'S OK BELAYA, IT WAS JUST A GRIEFER'S WEBPAGE, EMERALD IS STILL SAFE!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #88 (permalink)
Hex

*SLU Supporter*

str.ToLower(user)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/31/2006

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in Blogging 
Quote:
IT'S OK BELAYA, IT WAS JUST A GRIEFER'S WEBPAGE, EMERALD IS STILL SAFE!
*BEGINS MATING FURIOUSLY WITH HAZIM*
Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #89 (permalink)
Banned

SL Join Date: 2006-12-31
Client: Viewer 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belaya View Post
This thread needs more Chalice.
Chalice's habit of keeping a low profile every time some Emerald-related shit hits the fan tells me all I need to know about her.
Masami Kuramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 08-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #90 (permalink)
Ginger

Watching yuu

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 07
Just seen this. Err...

Emerald Shennanigans Arabella's Amblings
Toxic Menges is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #91 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Menges View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabella Steadham
This was not a DDoS.
LOL

Arabella is full of shit.

If my website had been the target, I would call the cops for sure. I hope Hazim's ISP will take appropriate action.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #92 (permalink)
she, not he!

*SLU Supporter*

addicted to catnip

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/21/2006
Quote:
Quote:
Two weeks ago, amid an atmosphere of pride and boasting about Emerald traffic, a silly idea was hatched.

This idea was to target a blog owned by a creator of a malicious viewer, and boast of the traffic Emerald has captured. The method for doing this was to add links to the Emerald log in page linked to said blog. Each time anyone logged in, our page loaded up and also the other page loaded up – simply to show off our volume of traffic.

This was not a DDoS. This was a poor attempt at boasting that failed miserably. Once we discovered this, these links were deleted and the dev concerned was disciplined.
*cough* bullshit *cough*
That has to be the lamest excuse I have ever heard
Jesse Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #93 (permalink)
sounds vaguely familiar

Quote:
I don't even understand the bullshit spin they're trying to pass here.

They wanted to "boast of the traffic Emerald had captured" by sticking links to Hazim's blog (and not just one, but like 30). How does this show off your traffic?

I wonder what the "discipline" was for the "Dev" that was involved, high fives?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #94 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Barnett View Post
Yes, but it's useful. They just confessed breaking the law.

If anyone wants to take down Modular Systems, this is your window of opportunity.

The very least thing that should happen now is for LL to remove Emerald from the TPV list.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #95 (permalink)
Stallmanite

Eating computers

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Barnett View Post
*cough* bullshit *cough*
I asked Arabella about it. Apparently someone was recording it.

I used to think she was one of the nicer people on the Emerald team when I spoke with her before, but goddamn did she ever turn out to be two-faced.

Quote:
This idea was to target a blog owned by a creator of a malicious viewer
To boost my google pagerank, or inundate my server with requests, I'm guessing the latter.

Quote:
Once we discovered this, these links were deleted and the dev concerned was disciplined.
As were any threads referencing it, until they could get the propoganda out.
hazimgazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #96 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
This was not a DDoS.
Again I quote myself, saying this does not make it not true. It is a near textbook case of a DoS attempt, and a rather indirect form of a DDoS.

Quote:
This was a poor attempt at boasting that failed miserably. Once we discovered this, these links were deleted and the dev concerned was disciplined.
It's hard to believe this was something they somehow "discovered" when they state quite clearly it was boasting. I have never before heard of such secret, silent boasting that no one else knows about it.

Last edited by Free Xue; 08-20-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: something did not make much sense the first time through...
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #97 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabella Steadham
This idea was to target a blog owned by a creator of a malicious viewer
I guess she is not talking about Onyx here.

Wow, this is truly Orwellian.
2 Users Laughed:
Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #98 (permalink)
sounds vaguely familiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
It's hard to believe this was something they somehow "discovered" when they state quite clearly it was boasting. I have never before heard of such secret, silent boasting that no one else knows about it.
Yeah especially when it was mentioned on their own forums, they didn't "discipline" the person who did it. They delete the thread.

Quote:
As were any threads referencing it, until they could get the propoganda out.
Yeah, way to "promptly" remove the DDoS attack and "apologize" for it..... two weeks later.

I imagine we're going to have another heavily sanitized set of blog comments here, as they remove any post pointing out what bullshit it all is.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #99 (permalink)
Stallmanite

Eating computers

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Fate View Post
I imagine we're going to have another heavily sanitized set of blog comments here, as they remove any post pointing out what bullshit it all is.

I can't believe they still think this is still about me trying to "destroy Emerald" or some horseshit. I want them to stop abusing their users and treating them like numbers in a graph on a monthly blog boast. If they would stop pulling bullshit stunts like this and the EmKDU thing ON THEIR OWN USERS, yes, I would be fine with Emerald.

I actually used to hang out in Emerald Point quite a bit, and wanted to be an Emerald dev myself, but I didn't know it was as bad as this. I may be many things, but I am not a man who misleads or abuses his own userbase, and I absolutely won't tolerate it from a fellow software developer.
hazimgazov is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #100 (permalink)
Extreme Lurker XXL

*ra...*... ahem?

SL Join Date: 2007ish someday
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Hapmouche
Quote:
I can't believe they still think this is still about me trying to "destroy Emerald" or some horseshit.
Clearly, no one else but you hacked into the Emerald code, messed with the start page and made it look like the poor, poor script kiddies tried to harm such a malicious mastermind as yourself. There is no other explanation. Shame on you for being the target of the attack, how dare you!
Lil Hapmouche is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conspiracy , emerald