The Emerald Problem: A conspiracy theory. - Page 38 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » The Emerald Problem: A conspiracy theory.

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #926 (permalink)

o_o

Quote:
What if someone hired them thinking they were getting a dependable adult employee, trusting them with intellectual property and adult business authority that they then abused on a childish whim? They could wind up with legal charges against them before they're even out of high school.
Oh, you mean like closed-door weekly meetings with Lindens?

Last edited by Kate M.; 08-26-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added link.
Kate M. is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #927 (permalink)
she, not he!

*SLU Supporter*

addicted to catnip

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/21/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMagdalen Kyrie;
but there definitely could have been damage to these teens, not just from exposing them to sexual material.
Yep, I am living proof that a teen discovering sexual material causes irreparable damage. Good thing True Blood wasn't available back then, I probably would have grown up to be a politician.
Jesse Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #928 (permalink)

Slackatizing the Eschaton

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Barnett View Post
Yep, I am living proof that a teen discovering sexual material causes irreparable damage.
It probably depends a lot on what the material is. If the first pron you ever saw was Goatse.....
RevMagdalen Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #929 (permalink)

Slackatizing the Eschaton

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate M. View Post
Oh, you mean like closed-door weekly meetings with Lindens?
Exactly. That page links to Arabella's blog, where she says:

Quote:
***additional info***

From Modular Systems:-

“Over the course of the last year or so, more and more people have chosen to use the Emerald Viewer; so many in fact, that it is now the most used third party viewer in Second Life. As a result, it is undeniable that even the most incidental of changes in Emerald, when multiplied by the sheer amount of users, can cause drastic effects on the grid. We thus felt it was necessary to work more closely with Linden Lab to prevent any serious issues from occurring.”
Good thing everyone made sure nothing serious happened!
RevMagdalen Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #930 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMagdalen Kyrie View Post
but there definitely could have been damage to these teens, not just from exposing them to sexual material.
I can't speak for anyone else; but much of what goes on, sexually speaking, in mainstream SL, I was already doing as a teen. There's nothing particularly shocking going on anywhere within SL that a kid who hadn't specifically age-verified would be likely to encounter.
Quote:
What if they got recruited into a copybot thievery ring, for example?
I'll admit, I don't know enough about in-world copybot thievery rings to know what the potential real-world ramifications of this would be; but it doesn't sound all that different from seeding copyrighted music and movies on torrents or warez sites; except in those cases, the legal ramifications are very real, and very severe.
Quote:
What if someone hired them thinking they were getting a dependable adult employee, trusting them with intellectual property and adult business authority that they then abused on a childish whim? They could wind up with legal charges against them before they're even out of high school.
As a nightclub general manager in SL, this is something I have to keep well in mind as I'm conducting interviews to hire staff. I'm not naive enough to automatically assume all my applicants are 18+, so I need to flesh out those details during the interview. In your examples: Shame on whoever hired them for not conducting an adequate interview - and a thorough real-world background check - before entrusting the person with real-world IP and business authority. When all is said and done, however, there's not much that could happen to the child in terms of civil law, as any contract the child may have signed would be rendered null and void. The onus, therefore, is on the business to adequately screen their applicants, no matter what the context.
Quote:
EDIT: At the very least, we know they've been exposed to the Wrath of Prok! Think of their tender sensibilities and shudder!!!

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #931 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Nirans or development daily build
Quote:
It probably depends a lot on what the material is. If the first pron you ever saw was Goatse.....
Aieee! Name it not! Safer to call upon the sleeping Cthullhu himself or recite aloud from the book of Abdul Alhazred the mad!
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #932 (permalink)
Account Closed
so much for status

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/8/2008
Client: Phoenix, Exodus
Sonja Aeghin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #933 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
sick of all the bullshit

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 27, 2007
Cris? Why don't be have a "bullshit" button?? I think we really need one of those about now.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #934 (permalink)
Stallmanite

Eating computers

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Barnett View Post
No one there had the balls to stand up and support LGG when he quit. Instead, they either actively blogged or by remaining silent, let the word be spread that he didn't ever really do very much.
Towards the end, he made a lot of security-related fixes that the others didn't like (methods of blocking datamine-like media streams, that sort of thing,) but they ended up getting reverted. I'm not entirely sure why, but their reasoning for the revert was that it was "grieferish". The constant reverts of things like that in the private repo were another reason why Emerald switched to releasing changes between versions as one changeset in their public repo.

Really, it was LGG's changes being reverted all the time that made a lot of people think he never did anything.

Last edited by hazimgazov; 08-27-2010 at 12:35 AM.
hazimgazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #935 (permalink)
Banned

SL Join Date: 2006-12-31
Client: Viewer 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazimgazov View Post
Emerald switched to releasing changes between versions as one changeset in their public repo.
I hope this is one of the bullet points on LL's requirements list for Emerald: no more coalesced updates that hide who made which changes in particular.
Masami Kuramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #936 (permalink)

"it's not lupus!"

My Mood:
Silly Question-

Last edited by Dragger Lok; 08-29-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: don't really care anymore- gone fishing.
Dragger Lok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conspiracy , emerald