ZF Redzone, Disclosure of SecondLife Alts. - Page 59 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » ZF Redzone, Disclosure of SecondLife Alts.

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #1451 (permalink)
Prank Caller

*SLU Supporter*

*gurgle gurgle*

My Mood:

Awards: 1
Guinea Pig 
I don't think so. I think it just nags you to open a notecard which tells you how to turn it off when you first attach the HUD.

ETA: Of course, I may be wrong. (Particularly after noting bronxelf's post. )
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #1452 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
afterthought...

Yes, I respect that there are people on the grid that are trying to avoid stalkers. RL or virtual, stalking is serious, scary and tools that help keep stalkers at bay do actually provide some help.

But it's also a blade that cuts both ways, allowing stalkers to better track their victims as well. Whether it helps more than it hurts, who knows. I've my doubts. As tools go, this one is designed to violate policy, despite whatever some-times benefits it might offer.

And for that... LL should be issuing a 'cease and desist with this feature of your product, or risk banning.' notice.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #1453 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I don't think so. I think it just nags you to open a notecard which tells you how to turn it off when you first attach the HUD.

ETA: Of course, I may be wrong. (Particularly after noting bronxelf's post. )

It does. I had media disabled *before* teleporting yesterday morning off to another sim. The hud went off like a screaming thing the moment I landed.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #1454 (permalink)

i have media disabled and greenzone nags me on attach.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #1455 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: 12-Oct-2003
Client: Viewer 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxelf View Post
It does. I had media disabled *before* teleporting yesterday morning off to another sim. The hud went off like a screaming thing the moment I landed.
So how does it work? I hear rumours of a channel used but no one knows what channel or even if that is true.
WARNING: A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what others expect of him. He makes his own way, but he's kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not agree with that of society.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #1456 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke Phaeton View Post
So how does it work? I hear rumours of a channel used but no one knows what channel or even if that is true.

Damned if I know. I am emphatically not an IT professional. But I do know that when I left home yesterday I'd already had disabled all media AND had the host file change in.

And that thing went off like a siren the moment I landed.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #1457 (permalink)

Quote:
grab wireshark and a copy of the redzone hud. you should see the http calls easily. As for in world it is trying to force urls to open. so you have to scan for that activity. I.e.; scan for your client trying to open unauthorized urls.

It is likely going to require an anti spyware TPV to be done right. And LL will ban it because odds are good LL is behind redzone anyway.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #1458 (permalink)
Internet Force of Nature

Do not expose to direct sunlight.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Originally July 2007
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to PepperAnne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsy Pendragon View Post
afterthought...

Yes, I respect that there are people on the grid that are trying to avoid stalkers. RL or virtual, stalking is serious, scary and tools that help keep stalkers at bay do actually provide some help.

But it's also a blade that cuts both ways, allowing stalkers to better track their victims as well.

[Emphasis added]

That is exactly so. I realize that people might use "tools" like this to prevent themselves from being stalked, but I don't believe that protecting oneself should infringe on other people's rights in the process -- Isn't it that their stalker violates their rights, and that's why they need protecting? What makes it right for them to, in turn, violate someone else's rights in the name of "security"?
Quote:
"I have no illusions about my usefulness in a zombie apocalypse. The most I can hope for is to die in a pose that confuses future archeologists."
3 Users Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #1459 (permalink)
Banned

SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Incognito From PARIS With LOVE
redzone disclosure Adventures With RedZone « no2redzone
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #1460 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:
can't you use a channel sniffer? on the parcels where there's redzone there must be a constant amount of probes so even if it takes a while I'd assume a sniffer would eventually come up trumps.

or is that a bad thing to say?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #1461 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldbe Yue View Post
can't you use a channel sniffer? on the parcels where there's redzone there must be a constant amount of probes so even if it takes a while I'd assume a sniffer would eventually come up trumps.

The trouble is that -- assuming he's made it really easy by using a single fixed channel on which all communication takes place -- the channel could be anything from −2,147,483,648 to +2,147,483,64.
1 User Groaned:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #1462 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
fwiw...

Quote:
ToS/CS violation: resident's product has features that use Second Life to invade resident's privacy in violation of ToS 8.2, 8.3. The CS defines 'violation of privacy' as the dissemination of 'personal information'. The names of a resident's alternate accounts qualify as 'personal information' as defined by the Community Standards.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #1463 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetieb View Post
There are a few thing LL never should have done:

- Allow Free anonymous alt;
- Never should have give its viewer opensource.

Then we would never got copybotters and so much griefers..
You, Miss, are full of prunes.

The first griefers and copybotters came along long before the viewer was open sourced.

Games (among whose ranks I do NOT include SL) without open source clients get cracked and have their network communications datascoped and simulated ALL THE TIME.

The simple fact of the matter is that open sourcing the viewer was one of the best moves Linden Lab ever did. Without that, we'd all be running Viewer 2, except for the copybotters. RLV wouldn't exist. I wouldn't be on SL, much less on the development team of the widest-used TPV on the grid. SL wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the traction it has (and if you think it's low now, just think of what it would have been before).

Banning TPVs was never possible. By opensourcing the viewer, LL at least guaranteed that TPVs wouldn't harm the grid.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #1464 (permalink)

see-oh-neh

Thank You 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldbe Yue View Post

The problem with that is there are over 4,000,000,000 channels. Even if you tried to brute force scan the chances are the devices aren't constantly communicating and you might miss the right channel.

No harm in trying something like -1000 to 1000 though. Judging by his encryption you might just get lucky.

EDIT: Greenzone figured it out so it would most definately be worth trying the channels under 1000.

Last edited by Sione; 02-15-2011 at 08:12 PM.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #1465 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
LL will ban it because odds are good LL is behind redzone anyway.
Ann, you're so full of s*** it's leaking out your ears. Unless you have proof of this, please quit spreading it. It makes you look like as much of a kook as Prok.
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #1466 (permalink)

And that is different from the norm how exactly?

The LL CEO says one thing. The company does another and backs privacy invasion.

I openly question why.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #1467 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya Souther View Post
It makes you look like as much of a kook as Prok.
Prok actually published a piece today which is probably the closest I've seen anyone come to articulating how people "get" second life.

I wanted to hug her for it - then I remembered that I'm one of the evil hellspawn she recently wanted gone so I didn't think she's appreciate the gesture. Hey ho
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #1468 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Quote:
And that is different from the norm how exactly?
What, that you're full of s***, or that you look like a Prok-class kook? Not different at all, sadly.

This is not a feature.

Quote:
The LL CEO says one thing. The company does another and backs privacy invasion.

I openly question why.
Perhaps you are expecting too much? The wheels of LL policy are grinding, though they grind slowly.

Besides, it's a very large, unsupportable leap of illogic to go from that to assuming that LL is behind it. That leap is totally unjustified unless you're a hardened conspiracy theorist.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #1469 (permalink)

there is no evidence any wheels at LL are turning on this. All that has been said is soft raised it and nothing else has happened. And since LL cannot discuss it you cannot produce any evidence LL gives a shit.

It has been how long?

Now LL support is supposedly telling people LL supports this activity. I'd like confirmation on that. LL deleted that thread on their forums.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #1470 (permalink)
Internet Force of Nature

My Mood:
Of course LL deleted that thread. They delete everything that makes them look bad on the blogrums.
and even some that don't make them look bad, depending on the day and their mood.
I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt that LL is behind this or that they back it. I think that it is a matter of policy and business politics; that has more to do with their lack of action than any secondary agenda. But then, I'm an optimist
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #1471 (permalink)
Banjo tuner!

*SLU Supporter*

is taking names and breakinghearts

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/4/2007
Client: I close my eyes and...
I was perusing the Redzone forum while I enjoyed a delightful caramel latte, and I happened upon a posting in which the poster was denouncing the poor education of Linden Lab users. Now, the hilarity ensues when you start counting the spelling errors. In fact at one point he uses the "ineducated" when talking about Second Life residents. Certainly, one or two typos can be permitted but this post was rife with them.

In wanting to point this out, I had to register, which I don't usually have a problem doing, however, I decided to read the privacy statement.

"You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “iSellSL.ath.cx/MadSci” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “iSellSL.ath.cx/MadSci” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “iSellSL.ath.cx/MadSci” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised."

The first part I'm cool with. It's a company board, and if they want to take down posts that are critical of their company, that's their call. It was when we get to the latter part that I realized there was no way in Heston's name I was going to post to that board.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #1472 (permalink)
state of non-being

*SLU Supporter*

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetieb View Post
@ Meijoi

You can report this guy here: iSell SL .com
The creator of rZ does NOT tolerate this behavior.

rZ is ment as a security device, not for sicko's to out alts...

The problem in this, is the user, not the device...
People are using this device to harass people and ruin their SL experience, just like some people use other devices to copybot creators items. You are enabling this behavior. Redzone is being used as a griefing device and if the creator were serious about wanting to help people, he would stop allowing alt names to be viewed. Period.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #1473 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Quote:
there is no evidence any wheels at LL are turning on this. All that has been said is soft raised it and nothing else has happened. And since LL cannot discuss it you cannot produce any evidence LL gives a shit.
I'm not the conspiracy theorist here.

Quote:
Now LL support is supposedly telling people LL supports this activity. I'd like confirmation on that. LL deleted that thread on their forums.
That's the kind of proof I'm talking about...though I consider LL support only slightly more credible than you or Prok. They're known for being wrong and making things up.

In the absence of that kind of proof, you're nothing more than a conspiracy theory kook. Just like Prok.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #1474 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya Souther View Post
I'm not the conspiracy theorist here.

That's the kind of proof I'm talking about...though I consider LL support only slightly more credible than you or Prok. They're known for being wrong and making things up.

In the absence of that kind of proof, you're nothing more than a conspiracy theory kook. Just like Prok.
You are drawing invalid associations and stereotyping.

I notice you are a furry. Are you a Linden?
1 User Groaned:
3 Users Laughed:
Old 02-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #1475 (permalink)
Internet Force of Nature

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Bikcin View Post
I was perusing the Redzone forum while I enjoyed a delightful caramel latte, and I happened upon a posting in which the poster was denouncing the poor education of Linden Lab users. Now, the hilarity ensues when you start counting the spelling errors. In fact at one point he uses the "ineducated" when talking about Second Life residents. Certainly, one or two typos can be permitted but this post was rife with them.

In wanting to point this out, I had to register, which I don't usually have a problem doing, however, I decided to read the privacy statement.

"You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “iSellSL.ath.cx/MadSci” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “iSellSL.ath.cx/MadSci” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “iSellSL.ath.cx/MadSci” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised."

The first part I'm cool with. It's a company board, and if they want to take down posts that are critical of their company, that's their call. It was when we get to the latter part that I realized there was no way in Heston's name I was going to post to that board.
Heh Heston's name. I might steal that.

That statement, especially the latter half, scares the living hell out of me. It's like "Yup. You consent to giving your information to a database, but don't come crying to us if someone hacks it and comes to kill your family and rob you of all that is awesome!"

Why do people buy things from asshats who write things like this?! I will never understand the compulsion to give L$ or information to someone who claims no responsibility if his own security is breached.
1 User Agreed:
Closed Thread