ZF Redzone, Disclosure of SecondLife Alts. - Page 58 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » ZF Redzone, Disclosure of SecondLife Alts.

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #1426 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetieb View Post
You see, the whole problem leds waaaay back.. And since LL doesn't do much or cannot do much in a lot of cases to catch and ban the copybotter, we designers try to protect us the best we can.
speak for yourself hun. When you grow up you might get some perspective. No one in here is so special that they have the right to trample over the rights of others and try to hide the fact to boot.

I'd have more respect for the so called designers who use this if they came out and admitted it. Even shops in rl with guards, cctv etc have signs up but not sl ohhhh noooo can't have honesty can we? You poor sweet things, since sl is so stressful I'd suggest you stay out of it. This is the bad end of town alright but you guys just make it worse.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #1427 (permalink)
Prank Caller

*SLU Supporter*

*gurgle gurgle*

My Mood:

Awards: 1
Guinea Pig 
This forum needs to stop allowing free anonymous accounts!
3 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #1428 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

*cat noises*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
[confused cats against feminism]
la lucha sigue...
1 User Hugged You:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #1429 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: 12-Oct-2003
Client: Viewer 3
Quote:
I agree. The economy of SLU is even worse than the USA!! Without anonymity we could be as productive and wealthy as Avination!!
WARNING: A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what others expect of him. He makes his own way, but he's kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not agree with that of society.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #1430 (permalink)

see-oh-neh

Thank You 
Quote:
hey! I was trying to help get this person get banned from his rZ...
Don't shoot the messenger...

When you use the hud... it gives this message: Do not use the zRZ HUD to pester people. Report zRZ Abuse at: iSell SL .com
Most people here can't do that. Their hosts files and firewalls won't let them.

Quote:
When you use the hud... it gives this message: Do not use the zRZ HUD to pester people. Report zRZ Abuse at: iSell SL .com
Napster said "don't use this software for illegal filesharing"

Quote:
But I still think its not the fault of the creator of this tool (every scrip kiddy can create this privately without you knowing).
Yes but they can't mass deploy it around the grid without scamming people

Quote:
The problem is at first the way the internet in whole works, then the rules of LL and how they implement it and how their viewer works...

And yes, I KNOW you want to see it different because its more convenient for the most of the rZ-haters, but it is a security device first...
If you say so
Quote:
I just counted for that the last month KNOWN 26 copybot and/or griefers where trying to come on my sim. And got kicked out.
So you think. I don't think I need to reiterate the shortfalls of IP address linking. I think you know that already.

Quote:
There are a few thing LL never should have done:

- Allow Free anonymous alt;
- Never should have give its viewer opensource.
The first point one I agree with the second is just laughable. Copybot was around before the viewer was opensourced. Ever heard of libsl (now libomv)?

Quote:
Tell us something we don't know. As much as the RZ community don't want to believe, the people here are quite intelligent and most are content creators or viewer developers. If RZ is so wonderful for content creators why are there so many content creators opposed to it.
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #1431 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
We also need display names!!
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #1432 (permalink)
Suspended in Gaffa

Your today's PITA!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a long time ago
Quote:
I just see both sides and try to manage with the tools I can get to protect my hard work.
The only right way to protect your hard work () is to be really creative and found out a unique design, so copying it will be like puting a red flashing light over the copy.

I hope it's not the drastic drop in your sales that will tell you who was wrong or right.

Quote:
I just counted for that the last month KNOWN 26 copybot and/or griefers where trying to come on my sim. And got kicked out
Oh.. you seem to trust everything you are told, even if it's a script that tell it to you, then listen to this : I AM ROD HUMBLE! give me your stuff! ^^

Quote:

And what do you think you have done logging on slu without using your SLName?

Last edited by Sextan Shepherd; 02-15-2011 at 06:28 PM.
2 Users Said Yay!:
3 Users Laughed:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #1433 (permalink)
Prank Caller

*SLU Supporter*

*gurgle gurgle*

My Mood:

Guinea Pig 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke Phaeton View Post
I'm an SLU Display Names beta tester. Cris let me drop my surname a couple of years ago.
1 User Said Yay!:
3 Users Laughed:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #1434 (permalink)
Sugary Sweet

Hidding under your bed, with abowl of brownie mix and a canof whipped cream.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/26/2008
Client: Firestorm
Quote:

Do with it what you want... I ment well...

And yes, I do not agree with most of you, but I CAN understand...
But I still think its not the fault of the creator of this tool (every scrip kiddy can create this privately without you knowing).

The problem is at first the way the internet in whole works, then the rules of LL and how they implement it and how their viewer works...

And yes, I KNOW you want to see it different because its more convenient for the most of the rZ-haters, but it is a security device first...

I just counted for that the last month KNOWN 26 copybot and/or griefers where trying to come on my sim. And got kicked out.

Then we would never got copybotters and so much griefers..

Most say LL is in violation with his own TOS. Personally I don't agree, but again I DO understand why some disagree with me on this.

Understand that when I came to SL as designer LL promised me in the TOS copyright and protection of theft. But they just changed that when the made the viewer opensource. Because copybotter where very hard to catch due the FREE alt accounts...

You see, the whole problem leds waaaay back.. And since LL doesn't do much or cannot do much in a lot of cases to catch and ban the copybotter, we designers try to protect us the best we can.

And yes.. rZ is not holy, it's not perfect, but believe it or not.. It helps...
The rate of 0.025 % seems little, but that is only the percentage the system itself caught. But the truth is, copybotters are getting smarter, spoofing ip's, spoofing mac-adresses, cloning viewer info. So on that moment NONE system can detect it, accept the human eye. And that is what we also share in this system. User take pictures of copybotters, and report them in our neighboorwatch. And if anybody find a better system which would make everybody happy, I would gladly drop rZ.

And its VERY sad some users abuse it... I am NOT one of them. I just try to protect what is mine, and I don't give a rats ass about somebodies alt... I really don't.

In a perfect SL world without griefers and copybotters I would have never used it.

You can bash me all I want... Again, I just wanted to help with my first post. I am not here to say, you are wrong and I am right... I just see both sides and try to manage with the tools I can get to protect my hard work.
OK whats teh differance of that person outing everyone... or everyone owning one of the huds? whoes to say other people at the sms didnt already know about peoples alts. and were.. just talking about them behind their back?
[18:51] PhantomZoneNode v0.5.14 BETA: Sorry, 'Bake me Brownies Bitch!!!!' is not a valid Phantom Zone command.

Don't make me dress up like a ponygirl to kick you!! Didn't you know Ponys kick really really hard.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #1435 (permalink)
Wanderer and Lurker

Here, there, and nowhere

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Original September 2006
Client: Firestorm and Phoenix
Send a message via Skype™ to Micaela Darkwatch
Quote:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #1436 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:
I agree. The economy of SLU is even worse than the USA!! Without anonymity we could be as productive and wealthy as Avination!!

since that one came out of nowhere, I'll digress a little further and say I've just discovered one of my websites is more popular in the UK than avination and I'm moving up the ranks at a rate that soon I'm going to make a run on slu!
2 Users Said Yay!:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #1437 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Always on the Outside... looking In

SL Join Date: April 2004
Business: Firestorm Support
Client: Firestorm
*cough* https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/V...comment-242277 *cough*

2 Users Said Yay!:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #1438 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

SL Join Date: February 13, 2006
Business: Samantha's Shirts
Client: Cool VL Viewer 1.26.12

Best Drama Summary 
Quote:
I'll give you this much. I think you're wrong about... well, everything... but I am willing to believe that your motivation for jumping into the lions' den here really was to let us know how to get the griefer in question banned from using RedZone. For that intention, I thank you.

That said, you're still wrong about everything. Copybot existed before the viewer was open-sourced, griefers were rampant before unverified registrations were allowed, RedZone doesn't really protect you, and it hurts innocent people—both those it provides information about, and those who think it's a legitimate and useful protection tool.
Philip 3:16
For Rosedale so loved the grid, that he rezzed his only begotten Avatar, that whosoever believeth in him shall not crash, but have eternal Second Life.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #1439 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:

Do with it what you want... I ment well...

And yes, I do not agree with most of you, but I CAN understand...

Then we would never got copybotters and so much griefers..

Most say LL is in violation with his own TOS. Personally I don't agree, but again I DO understand why some disagree with me on this.

Understand that when I came to SL as designer LL promised me in the TOS copyright and protection of theft. But they just changed that when the made the viewer opensource. Because copybotter where very hard to catch due the FREE alt accounts...

And yes.. rZ is not holy, it's not perfect, but believe it or not.. It helps...
The rate of 0.025 % seems little, but that is only the percentage the system itself caught. But the truth is, copybotters are getting smarter, spoofing ip's, spoofing mac-adresses, cloning viewer info. So on that moment NONE system can detect it, accept the human eye. And that is what we also share in this system. User take pictures of copybotters, and report them in our neighboorwatch. And if anybody find a better system which would make everybody happy, I would gladly drop rZ.

And its VERY sad some users abuse it... I am NOT one of them. I just try to protect what is mine, and I don't give a rats ass about somebodies alt... I really don't.

In a perfect SL world without griefers and copybotters I would have never used it.

You can bash me all I want... Again, I just wanted to help with my first post. I am not here to say, you are wrong and I am right... I just see both sides and try to manage with the tools I can get to protect my hard work.
Sweetieb... I'll use the most direct way possible:

This device *is not*, full stop, in any way shape or form protecting your work. It simply is not. .025% is statistically insignificant. You would have roughly the same probability as simply *wishing for copybot to stop*(dear statistics people, I know I'm insulting your math skills- please forgive me). People who are actually out to steal your work can, will and *are* doing it anyway. That's the plain truth of it. Please read this completely valid comment here: Fear and Loathing in the Redzone » Ciaran Laval

No one needs to be in your store, in *any way* to steal your work. This device is not helping you, and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you, whether by design or ignorance.

No one here wants to see anyone's work stolen. No one. But we can differentiate between something that works and something that not only *does not work*, but whose primary function is something completely different and fundamentally wrong on multiple levels.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #1440 (permalink)
Lies down wif Bunnies

Lurve ta eat them bunnies, bunnies what I lurve ta eat. Bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
At least no one's callin' you "weirdly shaped"
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #1441 (permalink)
Mommy Made Me Commie

Accept (no copy).

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 2007
Business: Kerfuffle & Marx Mode
Right now, I'm looking at a satchel of "herbal incense" called Black Magic Smoke. On the front, it says "Not for human consumption". On the back, it says, "Warning: Do not smoke. Harmful or fatal if consumed contact physician immediately."

If you think this is anything other than a cover-your-ass wink and nod, you're terribly naïve. The same goes for your "do not harass" disclaimer on the rZ HUD. If this were meant seriously, zF would not boast of adding vocal critics to RZ's database as copybots. Intimidating someone into silence is - surprise! - harassment.

It seems, in my personal opinion, that those who would be best able to copybot with impunity would be those who control the database of something like RZ. Not to mention their friends. How great is that? Hundreds of thousands of linden dollars in profit AND no accountability under their own system. As Stalin said, it's not who votes that counts, but rather who counts the votes.
2 Users Said Yay!:
2 Users Like This:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #1442 (permalink)
the architect of sleep

Thunder Grapes I Beckon

My Mood:
Quote:
Hm. Are you sure you're not zFire? You make as many typos as he does. And as little sense.
The Good In Bad, That God I’ve Been.

http://tgib.co.uk/
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #1443 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

*cat noises*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick McMinnar View Post
At least no one's callin' you "weirdly shaped"
Not that you know of...
3 Users Hugged You:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #1444 (permalink)

see-oh-neh

Thank You 
Quote:
But the truth is, copybotters are getting smarter, spoofing ip's, spoofing mac-adresses, cloning viewer info.
Did you know this was normal before CDS and RedZone even existed?

Along with the fact you can just turn media off to avoid it, this is the biggest reason these systems are a scam. RZ owners NEED to know this. These techniques were not implemented to avoid RedZone and CDS. They were created to avoid LL.
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #1445 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:

Maybe. But completely irrelevant. Rippers don't need to use alts, because there is no way you can even tell if a ripper client is being run. They're completely undetectable unless the user is a complete idiot, and stopping only the complete idiots isn't going to help you.

Quote:
100% wrong. If they had not done that, the content ripping problem would be worse, because people would be using clients based on the original testclient (more commonly known as copybot)... which came out BEFORE the open source project. If it wasn't for the third party viewer policies they wouldn't have any levers at all to convince people writing third party viewers to play nicely.

Open sourcing the client co-opted a lot of smart people into working with them instead of against them.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #1446 (permalink)

securing your privacy in SL also means you give up use of profiles, destination guide, search, and any web based functions LL is using to force it's customers into submitting to privacy invasion.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #1447 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meijoi View Post
[...]
and when I told him it was a creepy and stalkerish thing to do, he said that it was his right to know.
[...]
The ability to do something does not confer the right to do it.

And because people are buying a 'legitimate' product that LETS them know, they automatically assume that it is their RIGHT to know.

Quote:
8.2 You will not post or transmit prohibited Content, including any Content that is illegal, harassing or violates any person's rights.

You agree that you will not:
(v) Post, display or transmit Content that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;

8.3 You agree that you will not post or transmit Content or code that may be harmful, impede other users' functionality, invade other users' privacy, or surreptitiously or negatively impact any system or network.

You agree to respect both the integrity of the Service and the privacy of other users.

The Community Standards sets out six behaviors, the 'Big Six', that will result in suspension or, with repeated violations, expulsion from the Second Life Community.

Disclosure
Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about a fellow Resident --including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, and real-world location beyond what is provided by the Resident in the First Life page of their Resident profile is a violation of that Resident's privacy.
In other words... if I don't list my alts in my profile, and that information is not otherwise readily available as PART OF the secondlife service, it is my PRIVATE information. Redzone is entitled to collect that information as a 3rd party entity... HOWEVER... the secondlife policies dictate they may not use the secondlife service to disseminate that information.

Personally, I'm of a mind to abuse report redzone citing their violation of our rights as defined by that policy.
1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Like This:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #1448 (permalink)

And people were getting vocal about the privacy issue so Amanda closed comments on the improving lines of communication blog post.

Typical.

Rod Humble is the new Baghdad Bob.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #1449 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Does GreenZone detect if you have media off?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #1450 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Does GreenZone detect if you have media off?

Yes.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Closed Thread