W00T Farewell Woodbury - Page 37 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » W00T! Farewell Woodbury

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #901 (permalink)
Annoying Crazy Midbie

Just Sans

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2005
Client: 3.3.1.something
Send a message via Yahoo to Sansarya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldbe Yue View Post
Clift has had a pretty impressive career gain in the last 6 years.. I assume when he joined woodbury he was fresh out of uni (2004)

Woodbury - View Content

Burbank, CA August 23, 2004) Woodbury University today announced the addition of several faculty members for the new academic year.
Eddie Clift will teach fulltime in Woodbury's communication major. With his Ph.D. from the University of Utah, an MFA in photography, as well as his business experience, he will be instrumental in pointing the communication major in an interdisciplinary direction involving communication theory and the visual arts.

of course now he's the Associate Director of one of the Schools and Associate Professor.

Edward Clift

Edward Clift is Associate Professor and Chair of Communication at Woodbury University in Burbank, California. He holds a Ph.D. in Communication from the University of Utah and an MFA from the Savannah College of Art & Design. His research interests include social systems and the relationship of aesthetics to thought and behavior. Clift serves as a reviewer for Vestnick: Theory and Practice of Communication, an international journal sponsored by the Russian Communication Association (RCA). He recently completed an edited volume of transdisciplinary readings on rhetoric and economics for Mellen Press. Clift is currently the Associate Director of the School of Media, Culture & Design at Woodbury University.

Put it down to a lack of experience perhaps but the university still should have had mechanisms in place to monitor the use of the money and the issues around the 2007 incident. He may be new but the university isn't.
Yeah, an associate professor isn't tenured. He's going to have to explain, and it could (probably will) affect his tenure bid.
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #902 (permalink)
<_<

i like big posts and i cannot lie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/2006
Send a message via AIM to Lum Lumley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
And people think i am the tin foil goddess lmao. This fruitcake thinks LL is NSA or some retarded shit lmao. Oh I know LL has a team of telepathy agents monitoring the evil thoughts of woodbury students. And LL has those CIA remote viewers watching the students wank off in the showers too right?

LL SPIES ARE EVERYWHERE
Actually he's right. Linden Lab logs all chat inworld. (Which is why they wanted Emerald to take out OTR encryption of IMs, as it made chat logging useless.)

This is not unusual - every single online game does this. It's a necessity for customer service.
Lum Lumley is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #903 (permalink)
<_<

i like big posts and i cannot lie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/2006
Send a message via AIM to Lum Lumley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldbe Yue View Post
of course now he's the Associate Director of one of the Schools and Associate Professor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansarya View Post
Yeah, an associate professor isn't tenured. He's going to have to explain, and it could (probably will) affect his tenure bid.
Actually, he's the department head.

School of Media, Culture & Design | Woodbury University
Lum Lumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #904 (permalink)
Thorny yet fuzzy

Oh, I zigs and I zags; I tos and I fros

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
"charity" quoted Artemis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Fate
Yeah, because smacking a bee hive has absolutely NO ramifications whatsoever.
Apparently, it was the WUkidz who found that they were smacking a beehive and had to run off. Fancy that.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #905 (permalink)
aka Dances With Skulls

*SLU Supporter*

Going, going... Goth!

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzers Foxchase View Post
I'm sure you and your friends joined Second Life to play virtual Barbie and be pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzers Foxchase View Post
My Tizzy Teardrop account was flawless.
Quiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #906 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Kipple Busting

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 23, 2007
Client: Exodus & Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum Lumley View Post
Actually he's right. Linden Lab logs all chat inworld. (Which is why they wanted Emerald to take out OTR encryption of IMs, as it made chat logging useless.)

This is not unusual - every single online game does this. It's a necessity for customer service.
SOE last year presented five years worth of stored data from Everquest 2 to a group of researchers. Whilst all names of players were scrubbed from the data it included everything from open chat to private im's (anyone who thinks there chat is private is living in cloud cuckoo land), to quest logs etc. I've no doubt Linden Lab keep such smiliar data as well.
Carthalis is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #907 (permalink)

I see what you did there.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/16/2009
People suggesting petitions: Wake the fuck up and remember petitions do NOTHING. Only mentioning to local newspapers (ones that people hold in their fucking hands) and giving the college bad press will get anything done.

Fred Rookstown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #908 (permalink)

Quote:

except for the "off site" part. The idiot implied LL was engaged in surveillance outside of SL. Actually, LL should have sued WU over that statement.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 04-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #909 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthalis View Post
SOE last year presented five years worth of stored data from Everquest 2 to a group of researchers. Whilst all names of players were scrubbed from the data it included everything from open chat to private im's (anyone who thinks there chat is private is living in cloud cuckoo land), to quest logs etc. I've no doubt Linden Lab keep such smiliar data as well.
yea lots of ooo ooo ooo and ahhh ungh ahh IM data would be really valuable.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #910 (permalink)
Luckiest Girl in SL

Here sometimes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/4/2007
Client: Firestorm

"Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." Forrest Church

"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction." Antoine De Saint-Exuprey

"We need not think alike in order to love alike." attributed to Francis David

Beathag McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #911 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
The lack of oversight, the squandering of funds on activities of a dubious academic nature, and the appointment of someone as self-important and self-absorbed as Clift to a high administrative position -- it's all rather revealing. As if college loans weren't enough of a burden on young people these days, the Woodbury students are going into hock for an education from a place that sounds one step up from a mail-order diploma mill.

"Didn't you know that only a fashion blog could create this much chaos? They are the Large Hadron Colliders of SL drama." -- Arilynn

Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Agreed:
Old 04-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #912 (permalink)

Is Jumpman Lane the professor of English at woodbury?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #913 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Rookstown View Post
People suggesting petitions: Wake the fuck up and remember petitions do NOTHING. Only mentioning to local newspapers (ones that people hold in their fucking hands) and giving the college bad press will get anything done.
You may be right. However, that would hurt the RL university, and it seemed to me that it might be worth trying to get the university to save itself BEFORE it's reputation is further compromised by Clift's idiotic spoutings about this.

Really, in nuking WU LL has acted in the RL university's best interest -- it's the ultimate damage control. Amazing that Clift doesn't see that.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #914 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post
Really, in nuking WU LL has acted in the RL university's best interest -- it's the ultimate damage control. Amazing that Clift doesn't see that.

You may be right but there's no way in Hell he'll ever admit it. To do that would mean he would have to take responsibility for it and so far I've seen no evidence that anyone associated with woodbury likes that idea.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #915 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Having been partnered to a professor for 15 years, I'm used to seeing all kinds of blowhards securing a berth in the Liberal Arts faculty, and even becoming department heads or deans. But usually there's oversight on expenditures so that the positions are more that of a bureaucratic drone with delusions of grandeur than positions of true power. So I'm really scratching my head at an administration that would allow this amount of discretionary funds to be used in such a cavalier manner for so long. For a place with so many students on financial-aid, you're usually scrambling to pay for pencils, much less entire sims.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #916 (permalink)
VR Hacks

SL Join Date: Aug 2005
Business: Digital DNA
Looks like Clift has a fairly high prof rating:

Edward Clift - Woodbury University - RateMyProfessors.com

Last edited by Angela Talamasca; 04-26-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
Angela Talamasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #917 (permalink)
RP Lifestyler Roleplayer

Edit

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2007
Given that Woodbury University is currently in the process of reaccreditation, its SL issues may or may not be a big deal outside the probably small cohort of RL students involved in it. There are a few things that would be of interest to people along the chain of responsibility above Dr. Clift, though:
  • If WU's SL campus really was programmatically studying interaction within SL, they would need to resolve the issue of human subjects review, which is murky and contentious with simple face-to-face research, let alone online interaction. If WU really was reaching out to the community in SL, without informed consent or defined social contracts, they may be in breach of academic ethics as many administrators see them.
  • Someone was releasing close to $1000 per month for a SL campus that was substantially, and I've been through most of it, a lot of random doodling. Very little had either obvious or unique educational value, and what did seemed to be space for telecommuting-style distance learning. That is actually a sort of good thing, because it promotes discussion of what really is education, how's it different online, etc. But without the background of specific training and/or insights from serious research, that discussion won't mean much to educators.
  • Many people in higher education will read the article and its comments, and be turned off to education in virtual worlds. And, they'll probably form doubts about Woodbury University's credibility. Add the phenomenon of academics gossiping at a conference, and it does some, probably small, damage to Woodbury University.

Last edited by derevaun; 04-26-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typos
derevaun is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #918 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Kipple Busting

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 23, 2007
Client: Exodus & Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
yea lots of ooo ooo ooo and ahhh ungh ahh IM data would be really valuable.
Latest EverQuest II data study covers roleplayers - Massively

Science gleans 60TB of behavior data from Everquest 2 logs

Quote:
A year ago, we mentioned that Sony Online Entertainment had opened up their EverQuest II database to researchers, allowing scientists from noted universities the ability to study the demographics of their server in an anonymous fashion. Slowly but surely, more studies are coming out that are using this information, and one of the newer studies takes an in-depth look at roleplayers.
Carthalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #919 (permalink)
Grand Cabal Leader

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
How in the hell did this thread grow to almost 1000 posts?

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #920 (permalink)
Now with 40% more Awesome

*SLU Supporter*

We can't stop here. This is bat country

My Mood:
Client: Tenacious - V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Never underestimate the tardedness of the dark side.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #921 (permalink)
Account Closed
Screwing your scripts

Quote:
We all want to be the Millionth poster!!!
Camille Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 04-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #922 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:
'cos we're busy having an adult conversation about adult themes (you know; responsibility, education, management) that are only peripherally sl orientated...

and of course the kids coming in here to troll errr state their case just add that little frission when the conversation lags.
Couldbe Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #923 (permalink)
ADOLF HEIGHTLER

Louder than god's revolver and twice as shiny!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2007
Business: Darkly Cute
Client: NOT the same one I used yesterday... (<.<)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
Quote:
It's perpetual. (^_^)

(^_^)y
Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #924 (permalink)
ADOLF HEIGHTLER

Louder than god's revolver and twice as shiny!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2007
Business: Darkly Cute
Client: NOT the same one I used yesterday... (<.<)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways

=^-^=
Imnotgoing Sideways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #925 (permalink)
Go Go Goliatha

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/3/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiplash View Post
DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA how much credibility damage you have done to Woodbury University as a result of this??
Or the damage you may have caused to other academic researchers using SL for valid teaching and research purposes? I believe that the Chronicle of Higher Education article and accompanying trainwreck list of comments is going to be read by a lot of academics and academic administrators, and that alone is going to harm or hinder a lot of good work that is being done or planned.
I said last night that Linden Lab is extremely unlikely to receive much meaningful negative publicity over this because people in the real world care just a little more about Woodbury's web presence as they do about Prokofy Neva's virtual chickens.

That cuts both ways.

Linden Lab is unlikely to receive a black eye and Woodbury is unlikely to receive any meaningful negative publicity. Nobody who really matters to Woodbury cares. The kids who apply to a Third Tier commuter college won't care. ("But mom, I don't want to go to a griefer college!") The academics from other institutions aren't going to look at their peers at Woodbury with a jaundiced eye from here on out. ("Pssst... Professor Muttonchops is from that griefer college! Let's give him the dreaded triple peer review!") US News & World Report isn't going to downgrade Woodbury from a Tier Three college to a Tier Four over this.

And before anyone gets too excited about the possibility, nobody's going to revoke Woodbury's accreditation over this whole incident. It just flat out will not happen. (Just like the ACLU isn't going to turn the people Linden Lab banned for association with Woodbury into free speech martyrs.)

Will it hurt other educational institutions that utilize Second Life? Probably not. Even if it does, it's going to do far less damage than the highly publicized case of Kimberly Jernigan.
Liandra Hellershanks is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Agreed: