Web on a Prim - Ideas & Brainstorming - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Web on a Prim - Ideas & Brainstorming

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Final Boss

Hair Apparent

Web on a Prim - Ideas & Brainstorming

It's here. Let's look at the underlying laws about how it works, and how those laws must be worked around to create social uses of this feature.

Semi-Synchronous To trigger a change that every user sees, a new URL must be loaded, or a browser refresh must be triggered. This makes certain sites more ideal than others. Youtube is a classic case. Every video has a unique URL associated with it. Users can individually pause, skip, and mute that video without affecting those nearby, but they're all watching the same thing, and can discuss it, laugh together, or whatever is warranted. Kongregate, a Flash game portal, is another example. You can't all be players within the same game, affecting each other in real time. But you can experience the same game together, discussing strategies, or bragging about your score.

Semi-Asynchronous So when a site relies heavily on interactions with JavaScript, XML, Flash, etc. to form dynamic content, people will see less and less of the same thing. Load up a station on Pandora, Slacker, or Last.fm, and people will only hear the same songs by coincidence. Might as well just listen to the parcel audio.

Clumsier than a browser If you're by yourself, you're much better off tabbing in to Firefox to do most things, even things that trigger events in-world, like XStreet. It gets even worse trying to click things when you're wearing the media prim. Where Web on a Prim shines is keeping a group on the same page (so to speak) about something.

Fun things to try:
Gimme Shiny! - Want to put up some pictures in a build, but have no idea what? Here's an automated slideshow that picks out popular stuff from Flickr and deviantART.

A Daily Dose of Interesting Photographic Inspiration from Flickr - Like the above, but more interactive, with lots of pictures to click.

digg labs / pics - And here's one with animation! As we go down this list, the bigger the prim you need to make this look nice. Gimme Shiny looks fine on a tablet I wear on my avatar, this one may look very squished on it.

infinitube || Watch non-stop, full-screen Il Mistero Della Citt Di Luce, Nine Ita, Film 9 Ita and other web videos from Youtube - A non-stop montage of Youtube videos based on a keyword query, which gets included in the URL, and thus propagated to everyone. For example, infinitube || Watch non-stop, full-screen Il Mistero Della Citt Di Luce, Nine Ita, Film 9 Ita and other web videos from Youtube

Places for ideas:
Award Winners - Mashup Awards - Mashups aren't just two ironic pop songs combined in to one great dance hit, they're also web applications that offer more (or less, which can be useful here) interactive ways of using popular sites.

webapp - Lifehacker - Another huge list of applications, the usefulness of any I have yet to explore.

http://manyeyes.alphaworks.ibm.com/ - May require some hacking and serious business to really get something relevant to you and yours. Also seems to be down right now, unfortunately.

digg labs - Mostly just things you can watch. Want more? Get to hacking: Digg API / FrontPage

EDIT: Having failed to Google this, I finally managed to dig it up from the Blogforums: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSetPrimMediaParams

Last edited by Rebel Television; 02-27-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: adding link
Rebel Television is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Final Boss

Hair Apparent

So Emeralds don't wonder WTF you're staring at, and since autoplay on web prims can be disabled, a texture like this can come in handy:

1 User Laughed:
Old 02-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Best idea I can come up with so far, is a button on a vendor. Press the button, and another prim pops up, (or the button morphs) and that prim displays a webpage full of information about the item. This could be the XStreet (or other web marketplace) listing for that item, or it could be a wordpress post about the item with pictures, demonstration videos, slideshows, etc.

Last edited by Winter Ventura; 02-27-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Winter Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I can imagine ways you could have a vendor interact with a web site so that it still stores and dispatches packages based on the displayed product on a page. Would be a far more complicated vendor for sure, but still...
Old 02-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Final Boss

Hair Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Ventura View Post
Best idea I can come up with so far, is a button on a vendor. Press the button, and another prim pops up, (or the button morphs) and that prim displays a webpage full of information about the item. This could be the XStreet (or other web marketplace) listing for that item, or it could be a werdpress post about the item with pictures, demonstration videos, slideshows, etc.
This could be great for vehicle vendors. A lot of my favorite stuff doesn't lend itself well to "demos", as you couldn't really make it intuitive enough and still stick to the realism you're going for. Plus, commercial real estate next to low lag, zero banline sims is not cheap. Being able to call up video without even having the land rights to do so would be a boon there.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I see what you did there.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/16/2009
Simple slideshow of products with a black bar at the bottom that contains a blurb and pricing options.

Pay the correct amount of money, server sends you the product.

URL opened would tell the server the object's UUID so it can track payments.

Fred Rookstown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Rookstown View Post
Simple slideshow of products with a black bar at the bottom that contains a blurb and pricing options.

Pay the correct amount of money, server sends you the product.

URL opened would tell the server the object's UUID so it can track payments.
yea. who needs a sim for a store anymore? Everyone can pay LL 10 bucks a month and live in a box. Then LL's income will drop to enough to barely pay for a 60 person staff without execs and no money left over for all those colo contracts.

Kingdon is teh smart.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm looking forward to making dynamic games. Like, a board game where the board is a web prim with the pieces and such being prims. The board could change around the spaces and such as play progresses -think Mario Party.

This is doable now, but with web on a prims in theory you could have people from the web playing with people in SL.
Oneironaut Escher is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Grid.Living

I kicked your dog. TO THE MOON.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/21/2003
Business: Grid.Living

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Send a message via MSN to Lordfly Digeridoo Send a message via Skype™ to Lordfly Digeridoo
webcam on your head.

slimmed-down multi-user synchronous whiteboard (twiddla sorta works but is prone to endless refreshing)

Flickr slideshow galleries for large amounts of pictures in a single area

full SLX integration

HUDs full of information
Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm curious if this works:

iSketch

(haven't been able to install 2.0 yet)
Oneironaut Escher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
& the voices in his head

Meme Wannabe

At least, we will be able to watch youtube videos properly. After purchasing 4 players, I have given up on all 4. They always stop or miss the video somewhere.
Evil String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

yes i..(pause for 2 minutes) .. (SPAM SPAM SPAM) ..reall .. pause for 3 minutes) ..y love t .. pause for 1 minute) .. o watch you .. (pause for 5 minutes) .. tube videos...

I would not be building any business plans that involve any reliance on free video streaming websites. I don't even expect youtube to be able to stay in business without changing to a paid access model. And youtube viewing in SL pretty much violates the youtube TOS unless you are watching on their website directly so once they see people using it in SL in ways they don't like then Kingdon will get blow-torched and then kill it off in SL.
1 User Groaned:
Old 02-28-2010, 02:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Mood:
you click the prim

it takes you to Virtual Worlds, Avatars, free 3D chat, online meetings - Second Life Official Site

you start another account from inside second life

Log onto that one through the website ...

Go to a prim .. click on it .. go to Secondlife.com

Start a new account from inside inside of second life ....
Colette Meiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
That's all folks.

My Mood:
Maybe one can play WoW from within SL.
Sid Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Nagy View Post
Maybe one can play WoW from within SL.
set up a vnc system and you can do anything you want using the vnc plugin.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

My Mood:
Jo Sapeur is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

My Mood:
Business: Two Moon Studios
I actually have this urge to visit Twitter and Facebook from within SL, the Ultimate Kingdon Experience (tm).

At least I wont have to upload a promotional picture of my item any more, that's $10L LL ain't gonna see from me now!
Magnet Homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Princess of Jeogeot

There's always time for a coffee.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 27 Sept 2006
Business: Egotherapy Club
Client: Regular LL Viewer (normally)
I tried out the web on a prim and had my Flickr pics on for a while. It was cool as it was fully interactive.

Then I set it to show Tetris and played for a while, just to see if I could. I now have visions of avatars becoming addicted to computer games in-world!

Visit Egotherapy Club in Yosu......
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Yosu/198/119/43
Conifer Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

My Mood:
Business: Two Moon Studios
Hang on, does this mean that you can actually interact with the web on a prim? Click buttons on the prim just like you were clicking on a webpage??
Magnet Homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
Formerly Quantum Destiny

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25 July 2004
Here's a good idea for web on a prim:

[#VWR-17044] Add options to selectively limit media sources to limit IP discoverability - Second Life Issues
Robert Daguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #21 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Sapeur View Post
well done!
Colette Meiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:

I'm assuming it's a bug, but I hope they limit the range of any web media's broadcast... I was experimenting yesterday and found you can hear the audio from media on a web page no matter where you went in the sim, or even after wandering into neighboring sims. I had to perform a teleport to rid myself of it. That will get old fast.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #23 (permalink)
Grid.Living

I kicked your dog. TO THE MOON.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/21/2003
Business: Grid.Living

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Send a message via MSN to Lordfly Digeridoo Send a message via Skype™ to Lordfly Digeridoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Homewood View Post
Hang on, does this mean that you can actually interact with the web on a prim? Click buttons on the prim just like you were clicking on a webpage??
Yep. They actually did it right.
Lordfly Digeridoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordfly Digeridoo View Post
Yep. They actually did it right.
SL Users: WE WANT FULL HTML ON A PRIM! WE WANT FULL HTML ON A PRIM! WE WANT FULL HTML ON A PRIM!

LL: Ok, here you go.

SL Users:
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
& the voices in his head

Meme Wannabe

Finally Dynamic Landmark based on dynamic HTML !!

Now you can change your shop location if, instead of a normal landmark, you inlcude a prim with a SLURL that can be updated from a website

Evil String is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks: