Avatar Genocide - SLUniverse Forums

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue

Facebook is mass murdering SL avatar accounts daily. One person logged in to see 100 friends gone from her list overnight. Here is the form letter if they decide to respond at all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facebook Nazi Genocide Team
Facebook accounts are meant for personal, authentic usage only and should reflect mainly your "real-world contacts." As such, fake accounts are a violation of our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities. This includes accounts that exist solely for the usage of third-party gaming applications, as well as users that maintain multiple accounts to gain an unfair advantage in these applications.

While we realize that certain third-party applications might encourage users to create multiple accounts, send out form messages, or make posts on other users' Walls, we cannot make exceptions to the policies we have in place.

Please be aware that we take the appropriate action on any violations we encounter. If there are any accounts like this on the site currently, it is only because they have not yet been removed.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to reactivate this account for any reason. This decision is final.

Thanks for your understanding,

Marissa

User Operations

Facebook

Linden Lab told us (via the MotD) to post on Facebook in July, 2009 for their BeachBonanza campaign. Thanks LL.

A new Avatar Genocide protest group just popped up on Facebook.

Avatars & Humans United: Petition for Avatar Identities on Facebook

We are legion, the avatars who live and work as our digital selves. We may have other names and lives beyond our avatar forms but we live and work as identities that bond with our communities. Avatars and Humans ask that Facebook continue allowing avatars to serve as primary profile pageholders so that we do not unnecessarily delete many hundreds of thousands of productive Facebook connectors. Do we ask all film stars to use their real names on Facebook, or any other media celebrity? What are positive network solutions that can come from the deletion and displacement of our friends the Avatars?

Join to fight against the genocide!

Avatars & Humans United: Petition for Avatar Identities on Facebook | Facebook
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...Time to die.-Roy Batty
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Now with 40% more Awesome

*SLU Supporter*

We can't stop here. This is bat country

My Mood:
Client: Tenacious - V
lol
Old 01-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lies down wif Bunnies

Lurve ta eat them bunnies, bunnies what I lurve ta eat. Bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!
and ROFL too
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade?
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
engage @ ur own risk

WILL one day snap and kill you all

My Mood:
It's a little extreme to compare canceling an account to murder or genocide, dontcha think?

It's annoying certainly, and worth attempting to argue against if you're one of the people it matters to, but nobody actually died.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe Mark Zuckerberg found out his SL fuck buddy was actually not the gender represented and is pissed off.

Nah. This is the Stanford/Silicone Valley effort to remove privacy and take control of the planet.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Now with 40% more Awesome

*SLU Supporter*

We can't stop here. This is bat country

My Mood:
Client: Tenacious - V
Start your own network site called... fuck I dunno... Pixelface or some shite.

Someone actually had a SLSpace site up at one point.. it incorporated all the facepalming malakia of MySpace too.... all the annoying midi files and blingtard tools were there.

But yeah 'avatar genocide' - ahhh thanks for taking the title of 'most recockulous faux indignation' from 'fursecution'.. it's been a long time between drinks.
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
ADOLF HEIGHTLER

Louder than god's revolver and twice as shiny!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2007
Business: Darkly Cute
Client: NOT the same one I used yesterday... (<.<)
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
Their service. Their rules. Break'em and watch your account go baibai. That's how it always worked. Self driven entitlement and comparing the loss of free online content to crimes against humanity simply reveal, yet again, it's time to adjust the old meds. (^_^)y
Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
ADOLF HEIGHTLER

Louder than god's revolver and twice as shiny!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2007
Business: Darkly Cute
Client: NOT the same one I used yesterday... (<.<)
Send a message via Yahoo to Imnotgoing Sideways Send a message via Skype™ to Imnotgoing Sideways
Has anyone checked out Moolto.com? (^_^)y
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
what would SL be without the hysterical drama that we've all come to know and be bored by?

Facebook has always said no avatars, LL encouraged people to breach the facebook ToS by creating avatars so that they could join the sl group and help with the LL/SL marketing push and now those same avatars are blaming Facebook as they enforce their ToS.

yawn
Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Musical Alchemist

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 5, 2004
Business: Musical Alchemy
I will be very disappointed if my account is deleted. It is true that I use Persephone Milk as my name - and that in real life my name is not Persephone Milk. However, my account wasn't created for any of the reasons they have listed as a violation. I use the name Persephone Milk online and for all social networking applications including my email address. Moreover, it's pretty clear that I use my Facebook account for personal "authentic" reasons (for example, last week I posted videos of my daughter's choral performance at Disney World). I provide plenty of real life details and photographs in my profile. I really hope that Facebook realizes that using a pseudonym doesn't necessarily make you "fake." And while I understand why they want to reduce the number of illegitimate accounts, I hope they do not overreach.
Persephone Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

#UndercoverGamerGate

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldbe Yue View Post
what would SL be without the hysterical drama that we've all come to know and be bored by?
It would be destroyed in a violent cataclysm caused by evil terrorist henchmen working in collusion with the lizard-born Illuminati, who in turn are tied to the world's corporations, who are all involved in an effort to turn our online virtual worlds into nothing more than brainwashing camps where people eventually want nothing more than to believe everything commercial television tells us to believe!!!

Or so I've heard.

(P.S. Sorry for the lack of caps, but that's how they get you...)
[confused cats against feminism]
la lucha sigue...
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Purple

HEYOO!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Along with the recent Facebook changes of removing the ability to hide personal information, I think it's clear that the Facebook owners simply want everybody's genuine RL info collected and out in the open. Fake/virtual/made up/fantasy info and names run contrary to that. 'nuf said.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

sick of all the bullshit

SL Join Date: October 27, 2007
Sometimes using a different name is smart. Take it from someone that once had a psycho stalker when she was dumb enough to use her own name.
Aliselia Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Damn if I made a facebook page for Ann Otoole I'd be in amongst like 200 of them lol. Loads of Ann Otooles on FB.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Purple

HEYOO!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliselia Aeon View Post
Sometimes using a different name is smart. Take it from someone that once had a psycho stalker when she was dumb enough to use her own name.
Heh, there is not a single connection on google between my SL name, my RL name, location aside of country, or my email address, aside of a SL/Nick<->email connection. Heck, there is not even a single instance of my RL name combined with my RL location either. I never felt like sharing info with the internets that I'd not share with random strangers on the street (and it's pretty much same thing, really.). Probably the reason I never dug the Web-2.0-social-network hype.
Chalice Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliselia Aeon View Post
Very sensible. Crazies are more mobile these days, that means they have a bigger catchment area.

I saw this the other day BBC News - How online life distorts privacy rights for all and I've got to say my happiness level dropped considerably.
Couldbe Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cristiano’s Qbert

LOL this!

My Mood:
DaQbet has a Facebook account along with his rl counterpart. Created mainly at the request of Languagelab as a means for students and staff to connect, there are maybe two dozen friends and most all are avatar accounts.
Honestly if it means one less Mafia Wars invite I won’t miss it.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Guvnah of Caledon

It's kind of an important issue to me.

I ask that my kids use avatar names because I don't want them to end up like Boxxy. There are a lot of dangers for well meaning, even decent kids on the internet ~ even rather mature teenagers.

People on the internet can be horribly cruel when it's not appropriate, to kids.

It's a shame that anonymity isn't allowed on facebook.
Desmond Shang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
engage @ ur own risk

WILL one day snap and kill you all

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
I never felt like sharing info with the internets that I'd not share with random strangers on the street (and it's pretty much same thing, really.). Probably the reason I never dug the Web-2.0-social-network hype.
About the same here. Plus my RL name is so ordinary and common, one could spend years looking through the thousands of search results they'd get by googling it.

Hah! Jus' try an' find me in that mess stalkers!
Allana Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
fractal networker

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4-27-06
Business: Texture Arts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldbe Yue View Post
Very sensible. Crazies are more mobile these days, that means they have a bigger catchment area.

I saw this the other day BBC News - How online life distorts privacy rights for all and I've got to say my happiness level dropped considerably.
This is an interesting and valid assertion. Specifically due to the way the law is worded "reasonable expectation of privacy". if the majority of people are just putting the "stuff" out there, what does that do to the concept of "reasonable expectation"?

Or perhaps in a court of law the person with their stuff all out there will have less of a case because they did not take precautions to protect their privacy.
While the person that did not offer their info would have a greater chance of winning a case of someone using their info without permission.
Reasonable expectation of privacy may end up boiling down to your record of treating your info in the past.

On the other hand those who have been free with their info can take solace in the fact that the picture they posted of themself with the lampshade on their head dancing on a table will survive a nuclear attack!

http://slurl.com/secondlife/puea/126/10/60/
infiniview Merit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #21 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

sick of all the bullshit

SL Join Date: October 27, 2007
I made the mistake of entering my real name when signing up for a forum. I used a screen name, but the form I had to fill out when registering said real name was required. I was new to the internet and thought it would be protected. Well, the stalker I ended up with was a friend of an admin and guess where he got my real name?
This was so bad that before it was over with the authorities became involved. The guy was truly dangerous.

Never again!

I quit Facebook over the recent privacy thing. If I was still there and they did this they wouldn't have had to delete me. I would have done it myself.
Aliselia Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #22 (permalink)
Baby Baroness

OMG ICONS

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2005.10.28
Client: 1.23
Send a message via Yahoo to Wildefire Walcott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Shang View Post
I ask that my kids use avatar names because I don't want them to end up like Boxxy. There are a lot of dangers for well meaning, even decent kids on the internet ~ even rather mature teenagers.

It's a shame that anonymity isn't allowed on facebook.
But there are a million and one places on the Internet to be anonymous. Facebook was never intended to be used by kids or videogame avatars. (Regarding kids, even though content on the site is supposed to be PG, the site has no parental controls- they expect people to go to other sites for that sort of thing.)

What's wrong with Facebook wanting to be a place where real people keep in contact with their real friends and family? Honestly, there aren't many non-dating sites like that on the Internet, where you're expected to be YOU and nothing else.

Cristiano's added all sorts of social networking features on SLU for people to have a Facebook-like experience right here. Also, if you really need another third-party site for your Second Life avatar, you can always try Second Facebook. (It is LOL as far as I'm concerned, but the forums and my blogs are the extent of my desired web presence for Wildefire.)

EDIT: SLProfiles/ProfilesLive is still kicking around, I see.

Desperation Isle Productions: Scripted skyboxes for lots (and budgets) of all sizes!
Wildefire Walcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pol
cautiously optimistic

*SLU Supporter*

Moderate (previously Mature)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 18, 2003
Business: Habitabla
I think it's also worth mentioning that excising bogus or alt profiles from FB makes it harder for those kid-stalking creeps everyone worries about to hide behind a mask of anonymity.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rockstar Crazy

wat.

My Mood:
I told a bunch of people that facebook doesnt want them making avatar accounts like a couple months ago, and their response was:

"there is a huge SL avatar community on facebook!"
Old 01-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #25 (permalink)
exp(ln(Gearhead))

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 28, 2006
Business: Aodhan's Forge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayumi View Post
I told a bunch of people that facebook doesnt want them making avatar accounts like a couple months ago, and their response was:

"there is a huge SL avatar community on facebook!"
Yeah and Facebook in their TOS was clear about user info ... SL and MMO Avatars do not qualify as valid accounts. I was tempted myself to make one to connect with SL friends but decided against it because of the TOS. I can connect well enough here, or in-world or on Plurk.
Aodhan McDunnough is offline   Reply With Quote