Second Life: The Bandwidth Hog - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Second Life: The Bandwidth Hog

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
Steampunk Victorian Caledon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Second Life: The Bandwidth Hog

Hi there all!

I'm quite new to second life, and so far, i'm loving it! However I noticed a disturbing fact. The day after I had explored the world of second life, I logged onto my ISP's main site to check my bandwidth useage, and I was shocked that out of my 10G that I have for monthly usegage (yes I have high speed), I had used nearly 3Gigs already! And this is just after roughly 8 or so hours online! I had to stop, because if I went any further, my ISP would end up charging me 3$ for every additional Gig that I downloaded over 10!

I called up the Second Life support and they weren't very helpful. When I asked roughly how much bandwidth useage I should have for second life, he reccomended an "unlimited amount".

I did some research, and found that... NO ISP provides this service.

So i pose the question to you...

I am upgrading my internet plan so I am able to download 60gigs a month and be charged 2$ for every additional gig... is this good enough?
adriusren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
I'm guessing you aren't in the US.

Not that this helps but I don't know how anybody uses the internet in countries with bandwidth limits.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
exp(ln(Gearhead))

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 28, 2006
Business: Aodhan's Forge
There is something you have to bear in mind regarding Second Life. MMOGs like WoW have static content (updated by patches and expansion) and the content is fully on your side of the connection. Second Life is made of user-created content that constantly changes. This content has to streamed to your computer as it becomes visible.

So do expect Second Life to eat a lot of bandwidth. But there is some hope, if you don't move around as much the content will effectively be more static and your bandwidth use should go down. If you like non-stop exploring, bandwidth will stay high. If you have hangouts your bandwidth use will drop.

Simple rule is: more content (not cached) = more bandwidth used.

@Joshua

Comcast disconnected some of their customers for what they called abusive downloading. Hilarious part is that it's an "unlimited" plan. Go figure.
Aodhan McDunnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodhan McDunnough View Post
@Joshua

Comcast disconnected some of their customers for what they called abusive downloading. Hilarious part is that it's an "unlimited" plan. Go figure.
I know, I had heard about that actually last week. I just moved into a new place and had to choose between Comcast and Cablevision for internet in my new neighborhood. I was going to go with Comcast since the rest of the building apparently uses it and had called to set up an appointment. A day or two later I read an article about how they were throttling torrent traffic and disabling users who used a lot of bandwidth and I called and canceled my account before it was activated on those grounds as protest.

Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Removed by Request

My Mood:
Yes second life is a bandwidth hog. In north america we all mostly have unlimited bandwidth accounts but I have heard this complaint from Uk'ers especially and its very expensive to run Second life as the content downloaded evertime you move 3 inches is monstrous.
Wilhelm Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Adorable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm Neumann View Post
Yes second life is a bandwidth hog. In north america we all mostly have unlimited bandwidth accounts but I have heard this complaint from Uk'ers especially and its very expensive to run Second life as the content downloaded evertime you move 3 inches is monstrous.
Apparently Americans do something right!
Charlemagne Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Removed by Request

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne Allen View Post

lol i'm sure they do lotsa right things but I'm in Canada with unlimited broadband so I wouldn't know
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne Allen View Post
Well we did invent it...

But yah, all I can recommend is that you use the Nicholaz client and set your cache way high and don't go too many different places. Try to shop with the websites like OnRez.Com instead of inworld as its less to download.

Oh and maybe use a netstat bandwidth monitor like the kind you can get for Yahoo Widgets to monitor your daily usage and set a person limit for yourself. If you're only alotted 10GB a month it would have to be 341MB a day, which is exceedingly small.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Fluffy bunny of death

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 2
Special Achievement in Thread Titling Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZATZAi View Post
Well we did invent it...
What do you mean "we"?
Sincerely , Al Gore
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm Neumann View Post
lol i'm sure they do lotsa right things but I'm in Canada with unlimited broadband so I wouldn't know
I'm in Canada as well. I live in B.C. and I am currently hooked up to Telus, which offers 60Gig of bandwidth.

It's pretty lame... what ISP do you use for this "Unlimited Bandwidth"?
adriusren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Music Lover

*SLU Supporter*

me

SL Join Date: Oct 24 2003
There is a setting in Edit - Preferences - Network for maximum bandwith. I had it at 750 kbps but have been having problems with sound so I just maxed it to 1500 kbps to see how that works. The moral of this story is you can to some extent limit your sl bandwidth but you are liable to limit your gameplay experience if you do very much.
Essence Lumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Removed by Request

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriusren View Post
I'm in Canada as well. I live in B.C. and I am currently hooked up to Telus, which offers 60Gig of bandwidth.

It's pretty lame... what ISP do you use for this "Unlimited Bandwidth"?
Ugh yeah for some reason western canada lags behind. You should have seen the "up to date" Pc my father bought for some crazy price only to come back to ontario and find that the pc's were way ahead and far cheaper. Anyhow I have rogers extreme cable. I can't remember how much I pay cause its lumped in with a couple of other things but its pretty competitive. It rarely goes down and I have had voip hooked to it now for 2 years for 20 bucks a month unlimited long distance too. Its usualy them that tells me my internet is broken and not the other way around so they seem pretty decent although their customer service in general sucks but the alternatives suck more. Since I never have any issues with service interruption and I don't have to talk to them more then once every 4 or 5 years at most I dont worry about sucky tech support and customer service . Before the extreme I had the regular high speed cable and it was also unlimited. I went to extreme because I networked a couple of computers and didn't want to cripple everything in the house with my crazy upload and download habits. I think its 50 bucks a month I can't remember lol to be honest but its on their website.

Last edited by Wilhelm Neumann; 09-10-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
HenchGirl

Mad Scientist Devotee

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2006
Business: Mabbulosity
Client: Exodus
Send a message via Skype™ to Mabb Dilweg
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriusren View Post
Hi there all!

I'm quite new to second life, and so far, i'm loving it! However I noticed a disturbing fact. The day after I had explored the world of second life, I logged onto my ISP's main site to check my bandwidth useage, and I was shocked that out of my 10G that I have for monthly usegage (yes I have high speed), I had used nearly 3Gigs already! And this is just after roughly 8 or so hours online! I had to stop, because if I went any further, my ISP would end up charging me 3$ for every additional Gig that I downloaded over 10!

I called up the Second Life support and they weren't very helpful. When I asked roughly how much bandwidth useage I should have for second life, he reccomended an "unlimited amount".

I did some research, and found that... NO ISP provides this service.

So i pose the question to you...

I am upgrading my internet plan so I am able to download 60gigs a month and be charged 2$ for every additional gig... is this good enough?

It should be. I'm in Australia and we don't have unlimited broadband. My plan is 40Gb peak and 60Gb off peak (2am-10am is off peak). That suits this household where Second Life on my puter, and WoW on my partner's puter are going for most of our waking/non-working hours . And I stream music most of the time when I'm in SL - it's on more than its off.

And sometimes when we're asleep we're grabbing torrents....

The Book of Awesome, Revelations 7:18

Mabb Dilweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
HenchGirl

Mad Scientist Devotee

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essence Lumin View Post
There is a setting in Edit - Preferences - Network for maximum bandwith. I had it at 750 kbps but have been having problems with sound so I just maxed it to 1500 kbps to see how that works. The moral of this story is you can to some extent limit your sl bandwidth but you are liable to limit your gameplay experience if you do very much.
I've always read that it's a bad idea to up that setting to anything above 500. You increase packet loss I think...
Old 09-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Music Lover

*SLU Supporter*

me

SL Join Date: Oct 24 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabb Dilweg View Post
I've always read that it's a bad idea to up that setting to anything above 500. You increase packet loss I think...
Huh, well who knows? If upping the number doesn't work out I'll try knocking it down.
Essence Lumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
HenchGirl

Mad Scientist Devotee

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essence Lumin View Post
Huh, well who knows? If upping the number doesn't work out I'll try knocking it down.
There's some good info in the Wiki on preferences, and what they do
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Helpreferences

Depending on your ISP, what else you're running, if someone else is also using your pipe... the max bandwidth can be a good or a bad thing but there comes a point where your puter and your link have to be fast enough to handle the data coming in at the rate you've set. If it can't it will drop packets to keep up. Too low and rezzing will be ghastly.

There's some good information at the Second Life Volunteers wiki on all the preference settings, and specifically how to work out your best effective max bandwidth setting:
http://sliki.info/wiki/Optimizing_th...Life#Bandwidth

Mine is set to 500 because we have two computers sharing a 1.5 link.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
What do you mean "we"?
Sincerely , Al Gore
Snopes : Did Al Gore Invent The Internet.

Quote:
Depends on how fast your modem is, you want to set it just below your modems expected throughput. Here's a useful test...

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I have mine set to 500 as well, but my modem can do just under 600. I rarely ever get that much from SL's servers though. Atleast they aren't throttling like they used to, that was aweful...
ZATZAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Setting it higher can work in at least some situations. When I'm using SL at my university, I slide it all the way up to 1500... but I'm on a fast computer, and they have ludicrous amounts of internet bandwidth (think GIGAbits per second). Everything rezzes really quickly compared to when I'm at home, and the packet loss meter never budges from zero.
Shirley Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote