The Thieves Motherload - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » The Thieves Motherload

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cap'n Motorboat

*SLU Supporter*

Taint-alizer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Nov 2003
Business: Strokerz Toyz/Strocap/Eros
Send a message via Yahoo to Stroker Serpentine Send a message via Skype™ to Stroker Serpentine
The Thieves Motherload

My day just went to shit. If you are a Content Creator and faint of heart, I suggest you read no further.

This afternoon I was IM'd by a friend who alerted me to receiving a full perm copy of one of my SexGen Beds. A model that is only 3 months old. I immediately teleported to the site and found that indeed inside a "Gold Nugget" hunt object was one of my beds FULL perm.

I looked up the profile of the owner and he was PIOF and 6 weeks new. He even had his RL pic in his profile. I assumed he was unaware of what he had done. I contacted him and he was very apologetic. He told me he had received a "package" at BURNING MAN that was named "LOADS OF SHITS".

He sent me a copy of it and I immediately AR'd the creator. I had also AR'd the original nugget owner before IM'ing him. I do not believe he was complicit.

This box and all of the boxes inside of boxes are copyable.

The object was *CREATED* by Damen Hax. I have grown to hate that last name. His profile shows he has PIOF and is in many "Hacker"/"Open Source" groups. I AM naming names here. You're innocent until proven guilty, however, I have already made my judgement. I have all the proof I need. Sue me!

**EDIT: " I have contacted Damen Hax to apologize for the characterization that I included in this post. From all of the assurances and responses that have been made I have come to the conclusion that Damen was indeed framed for being the creator of the object full of stolen content. Apparently Damen contributes considerably to the welfare and user experience of Second Life. I make no excuses for posting names however. The associated comments concerning Damen's groups and payment information were unnecessary. It was a very emotional and disturbing scenario . This was the largest single compilation I have seen to date. Content theft and the deliberate actions of these imbeciles has a rippling effect that impacts innocent people as collateral damage. Unfortunately I have become very adept at identifying content theft over the years and I should have investigated Damen's endeavors before attributing any impassioned comments. It is very unlikely I will ever post these finds again. If Linden Lab continues their obvious ambivilence there will be no need to, as they will become commonplace." END EDIT**

I also contacted Concierge Live Chat immediately and they told me to file an AR. I told them I had. I also contacted a friendly Linden who forwarded the info on to the appropriate channels. It has been over four hours now and the item has not been blacklisted yet. So, I did not receive the expeditious treatment that Rebel Hope did. I tried my best. Maybe it's the lawsuit, I don't know.

What follows is sickening. I opened the box and found that it contained boxes inside boxes inside boxes. I began to document each box, it's creators and the stolen items inside. I teleported Tenshi over to where I had began unpacking and she was also sick to her stomach. Here is a partial list of the copyable items I found by creator. I will have someone inventory them all at some point, but frankly I had to stop because it was so disheartening.

NOTE: IT IS ENTIRELY POSSIBLE THE ORIGINAL BOX WAS A FULL PERM BOX THAT SOMEONE FILLED WITH STOLEN ITEMS. IT IS UP TO LINDEN LAB TO DECIDE.

Content Creators:

3FX (jasmine Godenot)
Blaze Nielson
TOM Burt
FNKY! (Funk Schnook)
CobraTech (BlckCobra Shika)
*Kabuki (Naku Nishi)
AQUALOVE Zen and Serenity (Luigi Dickens)
Raziel Foggarty Sexbeds
LA JAZZ (Jennifer Brennon)
::Bloodlines:: (Mars Bracken)
Zyngo (Aarggle Zymurgy)
Bojan Allen Sexbed
CM Designs (Corrin Maitland)
Ecclectic Randomness (Whinter Ventura)
Bits and Bobs (Craig Altman)
Ocean Lane
Damania (Demanios Thetan)
Lovebirds Paradise Furniture (Bird Lilliehook)
Shiny Things (Fallingwater Cellardoor)
Stiletto Moody
Midnight Lotus (Hasuko Kuramot)
Quantum Products (Darling Brody)
5ifth Order (Johnny Dusk)
AKEYO (artoo Magneto)
Arcane (Eyllen Allen)
MystiTool (Mystical Cookie)
Overlord Combat
Ce Cubic (mirari Jun)
BARTLETT & NIELSON (Belle Bartlett)
Vamporium (Trijin Bade)
Kowalski Erin
.::MADesigns (Maddox DuPont)
Sixty Nine (Kumii Yosikawa)
:sey (risey Arai)
Redgrave ()
SiniStyle (Krius Misfit)
SineWave (Easy Babcock)
VISTA Anims (Vista Barnes)
Henmations (Hendrik Schroeder)
Abranimations (Abramelin Wolfe)
!-Ce Cubic
Aridi (London Armidi)
@HOME (nightlife Overlord)
SOREAL (Kwarney Pinion)
Animation Wharehouse (Jonny Dusk)
[ hoorenbeek ] (Limer Kosten)
*Gritty Kitty (Noam Sprocket)

That's a partial list.

Here are the names of the "suspects" that had attached hair to prims, prim clothing to prims, copybotted shoes, changed perms on items of mine that I KNOW were never released full perm...and whom have used the notecard exploit to send animations. And yes, the notecards d/l the anims right to your inventory. The list is growing, but here are what I have so far. Without exception they are all NPIOF.

Suspect Names:

Damen Hax (Original Container and *Kabuki)
Felipe5000 Ferarris (prim att’d to multi hair)
ItsMe Arun (SexGen, LA JAZZ, tnt)
BunnyMan Cryst (Notecards with anims of AKEYO, Sinewave, Vista, Henmations, Abranimations)
Zbornak Docherty (Shiny Things)
Ether Inventor (MystiTool, Overlord, Bloodlines)
KingGoon Topaz (Box of hair, Armidi, )
Slazenger Burt (prim att’d to !-Ce Cubic)
luaass Ragu (prim att’d to .::MADesigns hair)
kaik Krampf (prim att’d to :sey)
DoT Kupfer (prim att’d to SiniStyle)
chundas2 Xue (copybot SOREAL)
aGoodFella Mast (copybot hoorenbeek)
simpsons Nestle (prim att’d to AKEYO hats)
Leandrolelo Ferra (prim att’d to FNKY glasses)

I am attaching the photo's after this post. I have dozens. I cannot give everyone a tour of the contents, but the sim is locked down.

Some of the items were obvious copybots, some were permission exploits (my bed for instance). There are dozens of notecards containing every major animators animations on them. Also, the prim clothing, hair, jewelry and smaller objects were all drag-linked to a prim. So every known exploit was used in this package.

I'm sorry to break this. I personally had three of my best sellers in this. If you have any doubts as to the rampant content theft on the grid, this should disspell it completely.

**EDIT: The list is complete as shown. The few remaining articles were created by designers already listed here. The original container has been blacklisted as well as two containers within. If the contents were unpacked to inventories they will remain there copyable indefinitely as they are indistinguishable from the original creation. Under the current identification system blacklisting would only break legitimate content. END EDIT**

Last edited by Stroker Serpentine; 10-30-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Important Notes..Not to cast guilt..Innocent until proven guilty.
Stroker Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
58 Users Said Thanks :
Amphithetre Andalso, annalt, Ariane, Astolat Dufaux, Aztek Aeon, BEARintheMorning, Beebo Brink, Boy Lane, Brenda Connolly, Brig McD, Cailyn Miller, Chalice Yao, Charlotte Bartlett, Cindy Claveau, Circle Widdershins, Corrin Maitland, Cubey Terra, Deckheard Cleanslate, ElphieBroome, Emilly Orr, Evola, FlipperPA Peregrine, Geaven Gall, Govi, Harvey Swenson, Helena, Hitomi Tiponi, Humps, Hypatia Callisto, infiniview Merit, jacqueline trudeau, Jesse Barnett, Joodle Fadoodle, Kira Zobel, Lena Franciosa, Lila Corith, Liona Clio, Lupo Ellison, Markubis, Melodie Darwin, Menchor Barbosa, Misty Harley, Morrigan Coage, MoxZ Mokeev, Mystiphi Giha, Nephilaine Protagonist, Pamela Galli, Persephone Milk, Quiplash, Ran Garrigus, Robert Daguerre, Sansarya, Sid Nagy, Siobhan OFlynn, Talon DeCuir, Tyche Shepherd, Wildefire Walcott, Xiomara Mendes
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
You've Got to Swing It

Class of '07

SL Join Date: 5/4/2007
Client: Firestorm
Shit dude. I'm sorry.

"Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." Forrest Church

"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction." Antoine De Saint-Exuprey

"We need not think alike in order to love alike." attributed to Francis David

Beathag McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Eight Toed Man

The Eight Toed Man

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02-25-2005
Business: Five59 Online
So sorry to hear this, Stroker. I wish we had the means to cut these people's hands off like they do in the Islamic world... virtually speaking, at least.

P2
Old 10-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I guess we need a showstopper pjira for raising the estate ban list to 1,000,000 names.
Take a stand against the hackers/criminals on Linden Lab's blog and you will be warned/suspended/banned. Don't believe me? Try it sometime. I guess Prok gets a pass for some reason.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cap'n Motorboat

*SLU Supporter*

Taint-alizer

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Stroker Serpentine Send a message via Skype™ to Stroker Serpentine
If anyone would like to verify this I'll add you to the group for access. I can't obviously give every Designer/Creator a tour. There are just too many. I would like for a few to see it to get an idea of the enormity of it and report back here.

IM me inworld tonight.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ishtar was a great film.

Serenity Now!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/15/1878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Otoole View Post
I guess we need a showstopper pjira for raising the estate ban list to 1,000,000 names.
Take a stand against the hackers/criminals on Linden Lab's blog and you will be warned/suspended/banned. Don't believe me? Try it sometime. I guess Prok gets a pass for some reason.
That is a very interesting way to self-assess.
Taco Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Misanthrope

Aaaargh!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 05/25/06
At least the notecard exploit is closed, which will help prevent this happening again. Small comfort to those who have been ripped though.

Have the other affected designers made direct contact with LL about this? Given the seriousness, they may be able to remove some of these assets, at least the notecards and the box that was being distributed. Doubt there is much they could do about the contents of the box without breaking content though. I'm surprised you didn't get a better response from them, given the last couple of major incidents.
Stephanie Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Nov 2006
Sigh...this just makes me ill. Seems that more and more of this is being reported--and I hate to think of what goes unreported or is unknown as well.
Desiree Bisiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
As A Service

SL Join Date: Jan 9, 2007
WOW!!!

I wonder if it can be connected to this place being discussed across the Street

SL Forums
Brenda Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cap'n Motorboat

*SLU Supporter*

Taint-alizer

My Mood:
Some of the names of the "suspects" got cut off. Thanks for noticing Ann.

BunnyMan Crystal (Notecards with anims of AKEYO, Sinewave, Vista, Henmations, Abranimations)

aGoodFella Mastroianni (copybot hoorenbeek)

Leandrolelo Ferraris (prim attd to FNKY glasses)
Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Connolly View Post
WOW!!!

I wonder if it can be connected to this place being discussed across the Street

SL Forums
It sure sounds like it. Similar group of creators. I did go to the location and it looks like its been cleared out.
Desiree Bisiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Charlie's Angel

*SLU Supporter*

building <3

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 Sep 2006
Business: Scarlet Creative
Really sorry to hear that Stroker For the other creators too.

I hope they blacklist asap.
Charlotte Bartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2005
Client: Official client
Passed along to my Plurkline, Stroker. Thanks for taking so much time to investigate and post about it

So, I'm curious. Does blacklisting the items make them disappear from the grid, or just unable to be passed to others, or does it make them unable to be rezzed? I guess my real question is: how much of a problem is it for the original creator if their content is blacklisted?
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Content Creator

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/8/06
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am upset of course like everyone else this has happened to over the years. Maybe one day there will be something we can do about it. Even though this is disheartening.. I am flattered they thought something I made was worth copying. I hope they make money off it, because I certainly don't.
Corrin Maitland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Consumable

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Originally June 5, 2007
39 members and 89 guests...
RandoymRandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansarya View Post
I guess my real question is: how much of a problem is it for the original creator if their content is blacklisted?
If it was copybotted and not exploited (where it still shows the original creator) the item should have a new UUID and it would be easy to take care of that UUID.
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rockstar Crazy

wat.

My Mood:
KILL THEM ALL *flail*
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
FWIW, Damen Hax is denying anything to do with this over on SCD's blog about it. I kind of believe him. Why would he throw away 5 years of giving away his open source scripts on a box of freebies? Easier to believe he was framed.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
2つの文化の間立ち往生

*SLU Supporter*

Punk Rock Elf

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan. 2008
Business: K-10
bad part is the guy was handing out these box's at BL, who knows how many are out in circulation now....I feel very sad for you people who rely on SL for some income.

Kirari Kujisawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
If it was copybotted and not exploited (where it still shows the original creator) the item should have a new UUID and it would be easy to take care of that UUID.
Also just read on SCD that the items do not have new UUIDs, so they can't be blacklisted.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Content Creator

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/8/06
Second Life is not my primary source of income, but it did take time and dedication to create the items that I did. Regardless of who did it, it was done. Not too much we can do about it but hope that the people who's items were copied have notified the Lindens to have that specific item blacklisted.
Corrin Maitland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
she, not he!

*SLU Supporter*

addicted to catnip

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/21/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Misfit View Post
At least the notecard exploit is closed, which will help prevent this happening again. Small comfort to those who have been ripped though.
Actually no, that was only one exploit and LL didn't even include the SEC patches to fix full perm script exploits with that update. Nor did they do anything to address the months old full perms technical exploit.

CRAP! I am so sorry Stroker and all of the hacked creators! I just spent 4 hours writing an influenza primer and I missed this announcement when you made it. Let's hope that the lab continues with the progress they have been making including the mass bans. Keeping fingers crossed that the progress leads to PIOF accounts only, sooner then later.
Jesse Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rockstar Crazy

wat.

My Mood:
Hey Jesse, are you in-world right now?
Ayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

with a K

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/07
Holy crap. My heart is with you, Stroker and the other creators. I hope you have their nuts in a jar when all is said and done.
Aztek Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Misanthrope

Aaaargh!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 05/25/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansarya View Post
Also just read on SCD that the items do not have new UUIDs, so they can't be blacklisted.
Yeah, they are the original products, full permed through an exploit. Only things that could be blacklisted are the box that they were distributed in, and the notecards containing the ripped content.
Stephanie Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote