What do you think about sculpted prims? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » What do you think about sculpted prims?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Notorious Griefer

ffffffffffff

My Mood:
What do you think about sculpted prims?

Sculpts have really come into their own in the last year. Having been a sculpt designer for a long time, I'm interested in what the community thinks about sculpts, how sculpt designers can improve their work, and what you'd like to see created.

Here's a few questions about sculpted prims. Feel free to answer as many as you'd like, or give any other thoughts on sculpted prims

1) How essential do you think sculpted prims are to SL?

2) In general, what are the biggest problems you see with sculpted prims when using SL? If you avoid purchasing sculpted products, what are the main reasons?

3) If you purchase full-perms sculpt packs, what are the most important features, and what features do you see lacking? Inclusion of high-quality textures, baked ambient and lighting to be used to make your own, numerous variations in shape and style of sculpt components, and ability to be scaled down small are some possible features.

4) What sort of sculpted products in general would you like to see created in SL with extremely high quality and efficiency beyond what you currently see? From your knowledge of using SL, what products do you think could best benefit from being sculpted?

Here's a partial list:

Props, such as barrels, lights, details like appliances and pipework, and decorative details.

Sculpted furniture. Feel free to specify a style and theme.

Sculpted plants, flowers and trees.

Exterior elements such as benches, bridges, cobble pathways, gazebos and lattices.

Architectural elements, such as windows, stairs, pillars, brickwork, and doors.

Pre-modern weaponry and armor. Bows, more swords, armored pieces, etc. Feel free to specify a theme if desired.

Modern weaponry. Guns of various types, most likely sold in modular full-perm gun packs.

Landscaping elements. Water, rocks, crystals and caves.

human figures/NPC's. 6 to 15 prims each, very high quality, with specific period/cloth sets designed into the sculpt for efficiency.

Jewelry elements. New gems, gem settings, charms, necklace bases, and specialized chains.

Mechanical elements, such as new gears, animated pistons, nuts, bolts, and beams.

Sculpted hair elements. Braids, locks, and other bits created modularly so a wide variety of hairstyles can be created from them.

Prefabs that use sculpted prims extensively for very low prim counts.

Physical vehicles that use sculpts almost entirely.
Aminom Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Awards: 1
Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
1) They've become integral to SL

2) No real problems with sculpts, just with SL sometimes loading them slowly. I buy sculpted stuff

3) The most important features are the inclusion of sculpt maps, and... probably other stuff I can't think of

4) All of the above
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neko-licious™

*SLU Supporter*

Crumpet Khaleesi

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/8/06

Awards: 2
Uber Rare Teal Furby 
They make fabulous shoes.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/10/2005
Business: Breach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminom Marvin View Post
without mesh import,very important.
with mesh import, not at all

I hate sculpties with a screaming passion, they are just awfull. I'm forced to use them for want of a better method and dislike every moment of it. They are a limit to creativity and an insult to any experienced modeler with a desire to make efficient mesh's.

Did I say I don't like them
Compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Baby Baroness

*SLU Supporter*

OMG ICONS

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2005.10.28
Client: 1.23
Send a message via Yahoo to Wildefire Walcott

They're damned handy, and perhaps essential depending on a specific build requirement or aesthetic. And they can save prims. Note that while I think sculpties are a really brilliant idea, I would trade them for megaprim-sized meshes any day.

2) In general, what are the biggest problems you see with sculpted prims when using SL? If you avoid purchasing sculpted products, what are the main reasons?

Generally you have to leave them phantom, which might be fine for attachments, but is pretty annoying for landscaping. If you're talking about prefab sculpted products, I just buy whatever I like- I don't care (and often don't know before-hand) whether there are sculpts in something I buy. Another issue that I have witnessed first-hand is all those polygons definitely take a toll. A sculpt-heavy environmental build feels laggy compared to a traditional-prim build, due to all the extra work your computer has to do. Professional video game designers create high-polygon models when creating characters and buildings, etc, but then go through a long process of polygon reduction when exporting models for use in videogames. I sense a lot of SL sculpties are not optimized such (and, perhaps there's nothing can be done about that by artists, given how sculpt data is fed to SL. I don't know.)

3) If you purchase full-perms sculpt packs, what are the most important features, and what features do you see lacking? Inclusion of high-quality textures, baked ambient and lighting to be used to make your own, numerous variations in shape and style of sculpt components, and ability to be scaled down small are some possible features.

As someone who sometimes does full-sim builds but has no time/desire to learn how to create sculpts, I want big variety, and I want megaprim options when applicable. I want stalactites, stalagmites, rocks, steps, bridges, foliage, fences, etc, and I want them to be big enough to be useful.

4) What sort of sculpted products in general would you like to see created in SL with extremely high quality and efficiency beyond what you currently see? From your knowledge of using SL, what products do you think could best benefit from being sculpted?

Anything for landscaping and architecture. Oh, and TERRAIN. My #1 problem with the Second Life land tools is the godawful terrain texture blending. It really is fucking dreadful and limiting.

Desperation Isle Productions: Scripted skyboxes for lots (and budgets) of all sizes!
Wildefire Walcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Relevant like its 2007

Posting While Intoxicated 
they lag me and i hate them
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Gingerbeard Man

*SLU Supporter*

Class of '08

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08/11/2008
Business: Club Noir
Client: Firestorm

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
1) Totally essential, and then some. I get the impression that people in general consider most products not worth purchasing if they don't involve sculpts.

2) Making them, is a high learning curve. I don't avoid buying them but it annoys me sometimes that they take longer to rez.

3) I have never purchased full perm sculpts (though I do have a freebie set). For one thing, I can't afford them. For another, I'd rather learn to make my own.

4) all the above plus everything else? I can't think of many things that wouldn't benefit from some sculpting.

Of course it would be all totally irrelevent if Linden Labs implemented proper mesh support.
Lewis Luminos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oh yeah, that guy.
/dev/null

SL Join Date: 11/14/03
I'd prefer mesh import, because sculpts are just the WalMart of mesh creation. Enough limitations to make you want to tear your hair out. Don't get me started on texturing...
Maxx Monde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mercenary of Illusion

Disruptive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2004
Business: Skybox Nirvana, Tenth Muse Furniture
1) Absolutely essential.

2) Oh, where to start. Poles - the poles are a freaking nightmare to deal with when it comes to texturing. LOD - zoom out and sculpts turn to mush. Collision boundary - ends up forcing you to make things phantom and thus impossible to link with other prims. Uneven texturing - even with good math, your repeats will be off unless you take the time to customize the texture to the sculpt. Graphics load - too many sculpts will lag the hell out of you. Give me 10 minutes and I"ll come up with 30 more things that make me crazy.

3) Full perm sculpt packs rock my world. The BEST creators do the following: include shade maps that you can use right with your own textures, number your sculpts and provide a visual guide to what is what. Put that guide on the front of your box or include it as a texture. I have all my sculpty packs arranged on the wall of my workshop and end up having to create my own numbered guides or go beg the original creator for one. I'll single out Cel Edman as someone to emulate when it comes to packaging.

Products:
Statuary for fountains, wall reliefs, better architectural elements like more interesting arches and domed ceilings, drapes and fabrics. Where I see sculpts being the most useful is in soft organic items that have lots of curves and in replacing the ungodly number of prims needed for something like the ceilings of renaissance and gothic architecture.

I would sell my soul to be able to have something like this as an actual relief instead of a texture.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think about sculpted prims?-76502-004-60d3b2a7.jpg  
Isablan Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Evil Incarnate!

Recursion is beautiful!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2003-11-14
Business: Peregrine Salon
Send a message via Yahoo to FlipperPA Peregrine
I'll echo what most here have said. The biggest problem I have is there is no setting for guaranteeing level of detail - for example, with a star, if your camera is more than 15 meters away from a sculpted, pointed star, it no longer looks like a star.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

:confusedcat:

My Mood:
Business: Breach
Very awkward but very useful.

Unfortunately they are an extremely convuleted way of letting us have a however many point mesh and a straight mesh import with the same prim limit would have been way easier to use.
Eata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mercenary of Illusion

Disruptive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2004
Business: Skybox Nirvana, Tenth Muse Furniture
Quote:
Exterior elements such as benches, bridges, cobble pathways, gazebos and lattices.

Architectural elements, such as windows, stairs, pillars, brickwork, and doors.

Prefabs that use sculpted prims extensively for very low prim counts.

My thoughts on these:

1) Impossible for non-professionals to texture decently and thus should only be sold as finished items for use in builds (pillars not so much, but everything else.) There is a huge dividing line between builders using pre-made textures and builders doing their own texturing and someone trying to throw a pre-made texture onto a set of curved sculpty stairs is going to be very disappointed.

As for sculpty prefabs - as long as LOD and collision are an issue this seems fraugt with peril.
Isablan Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Behold, the power of flopsy ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx Monde View Post
I'd prefer mesh import, because sculpts are just the WalMart of mesh creation. Enough limitations to make you want to tear your hair out. Don't get me started on texturing...
I cannot say this enough: hell, yes.

While they're better than nothing, I still hate making them. My hatred for sculpties is only outstripped by my hatred of Blender. My ratio of modeling things vs. figuring out how to get around sculptie limitations is something like 1:5, on average. If there's a more quintessential example of "frustrating bullshit," I don't know about it.
Miriel Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rain Pixie

Identity duplicated due to technical difficulties...

SL Join Date: Years ago :P
I like having things that are one prim and yet not a primitive shape, and they do make fabulous shoes , but...

What is the point?

sculpts were supposed to be better than mesh import because:

a) 8 bits per dimension = smaller file

But you can make smaller model files by using compression or even limiting the precision to say 8 bits . Sure you might have to make a proprietary file format, but so? base it on obj (or something else for those of you who can never have enough bells and whistles ), and trim it down until it's more to your liking, then make a converter and stick it in the client as part of the upload processes like scripts.

b) It might some day maybe be possible if the rapture comes to make them morphable by using a movie or animated file format as the sculpt map.

ew... really? again, it's been done. There are algorithms for morphing from one model to another. For the type of morphing that most people seem to try to get sl to do, skeletons are what you want anyway.

c) it's easy to limit the number of vertices, extents, etc.

Oh give me a break. read file. count vertices. is it too many? refuse file. do any vertices fall outside the acceptable range from origin? refuse file. otherwise accept file and be on your merry way.

d) it would be really easy to make a sculpt manipulator, maybe in world someday (in the far future, again, after the rapture)!!! all you need is an image editor behind the scenes and viola, sculpt editor!

uh huh, because editing a sculpt with an image editor is something I find perfectly intuitive. In fact I don't see why you all think you need an actual 3d editor AND converter. sheesh. Also, nobody would ever want a HOLE in their shape. And all the points being locked into a predifined order is a "good" idea and also makes things simpler for editing............

e) well because it's an image, and images can be progressively downloaded, it's like having level of detail built in! and you can even see them before they're completely downloaded!!! it'll be like a cool ripple effect when the warp in .

Stop me if I've said this before: IT HAS BEEN DONE. progressive downloading of actual meshes is NOT something that will require years of development and the loss of several body parts. BUT even if it were NOT possible, who the hell cares? LOD is one of the oldest plays in the book. It not only has been done, it is almost ALWAYS part of any 3d environment with a field of view longer than say your living room. Pick your method: several meshes packaged in a wrapper, "compiling" one mesh and adding meta data about how to render it with only a small subset of it's vertices, the list goes on.

Oh and that ripple effect? ya, you've all seen that. It's the crumpled paper look that won't go away because for some reason once the first scan of an image has loaded it's priority seems to drop to darn near 0. because eh, you can see it's there, we'll get to the details in a minute or 10. Personally I'd be all for not seeing the sculpty at ALL until it's loaded.

---

So, in answer to your question. No, neither meshes or sculpts are necessary to SL. We did fine without them for years and griped less about prim limits than we do now about sculpties.

I like having sculpts because they make wonderful shoes, but true meshes would do a better job, be easier to create, and in general would just be better. So, sculpts are better than nothing, but they are not a stepping stone to meshes, never were a good idea, and currently serve the purposes of the damned.

Also I'm bitter because I spent years knowing how to do everything in SL, then sculpts came along and I went hunting for a 3d editor, found some that would do (though I think they're all designed by sadists), and then realized that as far as getting what I want in world it took longer and was more painful than lining up seams on clothing, and it just wasn't worth it for the best results I could possibly hope for. So I could no longer say I do everything in SL unless I wanted to develop an ulser just to maintain the claim, which made me feel like a lazy bum for not doing it because it was "too hard", which pissed me off even more because god damnit it shouldn't BE that hard and I'm feeling lazy because someone or someones at LL were the lazy ones (or stupid, I'm not sure which way is giving them the benifit of the doubt).

EDIT: also, simple collision maps can be had by using the lowest LOD level.

Last edited by Northwest Portland; 01-14-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Northwest Portland is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Stop Looking At Me!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/26/2005
Send a message via Skype™ to Khashai Steinbeck
I use them extremely rarely, only when absolutely required or requested. My biggest issues are the slow load times on most sculpts and the collision issues. I would use them more often as stairs, but after the link distance update, I can now link most (small) buildings as one linkset, and throwing in a set of sculpty stairs destroys the capability of that because I can't set them as phantom in a linkset. Furthermore, all sculpts I do actually use, I have pretty much had to make, because most of the pre-made sculpt sets do not allow resell without charging ridiculous prices (i.e., the same prices I pay for build tools I use all the freaking time, where I may use the sculpt only once or twice).

And the #1 reason I did not use sculpts unless absolutely necessary? When I did a building it was usually full-mod. I felt really sorry for the user I sold a building to with a sculpt in it, and usually I got more grief in support over sculpts than any thing else.

I was very early on a huge fan of sculpted trees, but most I have seen do not allow copy, and I am not going to pay for every tree on a sim, nor are most other people.

Aminom, you have helped me immensely with sculpts in the past, and I greatly appreciate it. However, I have never gotten to a point where I really liked sculpts. However I do not totally discount them and here is why:

I see a great usefulness in them in the following areas:
-small decorative objects
-jewlrey
-furry body parts
-human body parts, like those shoes that come with new feet (I know what the rest of you were thinking, you pervs.)
-shoes, hats, pieces of jackets and such
-fake landscape components (mentioned by another poster)
-architectural components, but not for builds, more for like, architecture which is used to beautify a sim, and not for normal everyday use (such as a bridge, the lattice work on it).
Khashai Steinbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
FIC AS FUCK

ffffffffffff

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5-3-2003
LOD effects are completely awful for objects that don't have an even distribution of vertices. If you need to concentrate a bunch of vertices to create a sphere or something like that, and then use just a few to create a cylinder, it will look totally fucked up from a distance of 40 meters or whenever it is that the client starts throwing out vertices.

If the system was smart enough to realize that you've got three vertices an entire meter from one another, you DON'T THROW OUT THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE, BECAUSE IT FUCKS EVERYTHING UP, I'd like it a lot better. Three vertices within five centimeters of each other, you don't notice at 40 meters. But when you throw away a very important vertex that gives definition to a major part of the structure, causing that structure to look completely jacked, it's irritating.

Kazenojin Executive Airport
Aircraft with Realistic Physics & Sim Border Protection
Huns Valen is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Gamer

Not scaling to your level

My Mood:
Quote:
Can't live without anymore. I've grown so used to the organic/realistic look sculpties can create that I'm now completely allergic to 'primmy' looks. With primmy looks I mean .. compare Grendel's dragons with Raven Verkin's. Perfect example. I'm not saying Grendel's work sucks, it's the best dragons when comparing quality/price. But ignoring price, they don't come near the Verkin dragon.

Quote:
When they use resize scripts. One of the advantages of sculpts IMO is that what used to be 20 prims, can now be done in 1 sculpt. Now, when you try to edit a 1 prim-item (sculpt or not) you will see when resizing that instead of just the diagonal axes you can stretch in a single direction also: X, Y or Z.

THAT to me is one reason why I prefer sculpted items over unsculpted. More flexibility in resizing most of the time. So IMO when they become no-mod and have a resize script added instead, this advantage is taken away. Then again, I hate resize scripts for most items, even non-sculpted.

Also, while some people complain about LOD. Personally I don't care. Most of the time I'm just at home with my partner, and she's zoomed her camera in on me and I zoom on her When I'm in public my opinion is the same. If the LOD is breaking things for you, tough deal. Feel free to zoom closer in on me, I don't mind being in the center of your attention

Quote:
N/A

Quote:
More furry avatars. Currently I have a wonderful anthro wolf that's made 100% of sculpted prims. It would be cool if more choices popped up. Right now in high quality efficient sculpted anthros it seems there's only wolves, bull terriers and fantasy creatures. I still haven't found a lion or a bear for example.
Eirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Sculpts have really come into their own in the last year. Having been a sculpt designer for a long time, I'm interested in what the community thinks about sculpts, how sculpt designers can improve their work, and what you'd like to see created.

Here's a few questions about sculpted prims. Feel free to answer as many as you'd like, or give any other thoughts on sculpted prims

Here's a partial list:
1)
They have become a hugely asthetically pleasing addition to SL. I would say there are ertain areas they are becoming intergral in and the biggest on there is definately shoes. Very few shoe creators who dont use sculpts can compete with the sculpt shoe.

2)
They cause lag, and where they are not used with thought and care they can make a place AWFUL to visit. I run on a fairly decent computer but turning up to a place where all the eye can see is circles of rezzing sculpts for several minutes is annoying.

3)
One of the biggest features I would like to see especially in complicated sculpt items is the additon of a basic 'template' texture that one is allowed to pulll out and play with in order to create soemthing to work with them. I am pretty good with photoshop, but maniplating textures and makign textures to fit sculpts can be a nightmare.

The other thign is the lack of options. Everyone sells thigns as damn packs. More than likely I only want ONE sculpt out of a set. I dont wat 5 versions of a heart. I want ONE! Why cant sculpt sellers sell them both individually and as packs??

4)
More sculptie shoe options. I dont make shoes but i am sick of seeing the same sculpts on peoples feet all the time
Eclectic Wingtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Slackers unite!! Later..

Silently Judging You

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/2007
I bought some full perm sculpt maps to make furniture, I love the rounded shapes for a more natural and cozy looking bed, chair or bathtub. I wish I could get over my fear of learning to make my own, but reading instructions gives me the "cross eyes". I just want to dive right in.

http://www.sluniverse.com/snapzilla/...-Judgement-Day
MissKillian Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Oh yeah, that guy.
/dev/null

SL Join Date: 11/14/03
It kills me that filesize was a factor, since a list of X, Y and Z coordinates could be compressed very tightly, its just a list of repeating elements for chrissakes!

I think the deal-breaker is lack of density and the inability to tweak UVW texture coordinates independently of the underlying mesh.
Maxx Monde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
dorkasaurus

*SLU Supporter*

good looking ullu di patthi

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Nov 2007
Client: Viewer 2.x
This isn't really a direct answer to Aminom's question because I am not a creator; even in what little building I do I rarely use sculpt packs because I lack the ability to texture them well. The most versatile sculpty shapes in the world are useless to me if I can't create a texture that maps on them well; the inclusion of a texture map or baked shadows - which I could see would be extremely useful to someone with skills - is still not all that useful to me because I still don't really have the ability to use them to make good textures.

What I'd like to say about sculpts is this: they are beautiful, and people do amazing work with them. They have enormously enhanced the realism of SL. On my avatar, sculpty shirt collars and cuffs, sculpty boots, and sculpty hats really look sharp. Sculpty animals are adorable and lifelike without eating prims. People like Aminom who use mapping tricks to make incredibly clever lanscape components have also done amazing things with sculpts.

But, the slow-load and LOD problems are a big price to pay for all that sculpty goodness. My cafe is being remodeled right now and the designer is using a LOT of sculpts, for landscaping elements, furniture, animals, everything. On my fast new computer with a solid broadband connection this isn't really a problem. Even so, though, there is one sculpty flowerbed with a weird LOD effect that makes it look terrible - sort of upside-down and floaty - when I am standing on the other side of the cafe. I am probably going to ask the designer to remove it. And, many of my cafe's visitors are on slow connections - especially the Indian visitors who are most likely to appreciate the changes in principle - and I fear for what they will see when they arrive while they wait for dozens upon dozens of scultpmaps to load.
Carter-Madhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
wants fruit

*SLU Supporter*

dabbles

My Mood:
A fair amount of what I have to say has already been said, but I'll chime in so you get a sense of the spread.

1) Not essential but nice to have. When used well they have definitely expanded the creative capabilities. I'm a fan of them when used carefully and creatively.

2) My number one peeve has to do with LOD & loading. My neighbor has constructed a stable next door to me out of sculpted slat walls. I assume it's lovely since his builds generally are, but all I ever see is a jumble of jagged crap, no matter how close I'm standing. Ditto for shopping for sculpted items/components- if it won't render clean for me in your store I won't generally take the time to buy it. I do not want to clear my cache in the hopes that the 80 different sculpts in my viewing area *may* actually load nor will I stand around zooming and waiting for hours.

Aside from that I share the common dislike of struggling to custom texture complex sculpts that others have made and the need to hack around the collision issues. I'll avoid purchasing sculpts for building if they are not provided as a texture or lack good textures and/or texturing templates.

3) I generally won't buy builder's sculpts if I can't use them on a megaprim. For some types the ability to go tiny is also critical- for others not so much. I tend not to buy big packs of things if all I need is one component since I build for pleasure rather than commerce. If the sculpt is complex then a well done texture is a must with big bonus points for lighting options & multiple materials. My ideal, however, is to be able to texture the sculpt myself without too much gouging of eyes so I can maintain the consistent feel of a build (windows, for ex.). Your sculpt packs are very well done. If I didn't know your reputation or if I was a novice builder I'd find a "demo" sculpt pack (one novelty sculpt of limited usefulness) with all the variations and how-to files a useful way to judge the quality/useablity of a product line. Perhaps you do this- I haven't been to your shop in a while (It doesn't rez well for me).

4) My real weakness when buying sculpts lies in the novelty area. I love my mounted raccoon head, oni mask, and buddha incense burner. These are finished products and not really what you're looking for but I did want to make the point that creative, unique sculpts always get my lindens. As far as building components:

Detailed knobs, handles and other fixtures (an old-fashioned bathroom faucet handle, please!)
Walls with relief details (bricks, stone, etc.)
Braids would be nifty- not only for hair but for pull ropes, furniture detailing, etc.
Arches (beyond gothic)
Canopies, awnings, tents and swags (I'm tired of looking at the same hollowed cylinders and tortured torii!)
...and more. I'm sure I could add to this if I had more time.
Sophia Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #23 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
1) Very essential. But as always: The right tool for the right job. Prims have their purpose, and so do sculpts. I love sculpts. They save prims, and they let you create shapes that would just totally look ugly with prims. Really, they're awesome, but at times they are overkill when a mere prim or 4 will do the same thing. At least in attachments. Buildings? Every saved prim counts.

The main awesomeness of sculpts, aside of the shapes, is when shadows/specular/lights are baked on them. They really shine (heh) then.

2) LOD. LOD + loading. HAET. Sculpties should not have LOD. But it's nothing that would prevent me from buying sculpts. Of course sculpts that reportedly have good LOD behavior or come in different versions to help with the effects are preferred.

3) A sane price/gain ratio. Yes, I'm fine with sculpy packs being more expensive due to the fullperm thing. Also another thing I prefer is, variety. Lots and lots of variety in a pack. The more variety, the better the pack will potentially fit my purposes, and purposes that may come in the future.

4) Chains, armor/clothing parts, spikes, nuts n bolts, shells, plates, grates, frames, corners, casings, etc. etc....that kind of stuff. Literally stuff other things get put together from.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #24 (permalink)
exp(ln(Gearhead))

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 28, 2006
Business: Aodhan's Forge
They load slow but I like.
Aodhan McDunnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
Khamunist Running Dog

Why am I up the tree, you say, why are you down there, I say

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 30-01-2007

I think they are very useful, perhaps essential to how the world looks now as they are used pretty widely. Anything 'organic' looking can really only be achieved with clever use of sculpted prims, as well as things like fabric and simple geometric shapes that require a lot of basic prims to make.

The draw distance collapse thing is probably the most annoying. Also they aren't the easiest of things to create and texture . Sometimes I avoid purchasing sculpty packs because they have a large amount of "stuffing" that I don't want. It's probably a million times more annoying for the vendor, but it'd be nice if they had a way of picking and choosing individual sculpt maps.

3) If you purchase full-perms sculpt packs, what are the most important features, and what features do you see lacking?

Baked shadow textures. Texturing a sculpty can be difficult, but sometimes a less than perfect texture job can be made good with decent shadowing. It's hard to create shadows that look 'right' for other people's sculpties, particularly when you don't have the sorts of software that the creator (may) have.

4) What sort of sculpted products in general would you like to see created in SL with extremely high quality and efficiency beyond what you currently see?

Probably the really complex things that I could never do, like window frames, screens, plants and the like.
Khamudy is offline   Reply With Quote