Computer buying advice! - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Computer buying advice!

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Never the same girl twice.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2010
Client: Second Life V3
Computer buying advice!

So, I'm still scooting along on the discount laptop I purchased in 2012, after the graphics card on my previous laptop shit the bed. It was already about 2 years behind the times when I got it, but I've managed admirably to play the few MMOs and SL, and do some photoediting with various iterations of Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. I don't do any real heavy lifting. I'm not mining cryptocurrency. But I do like pretty graphics.

Anyway, my current rig is giving me indications that it might be time to start looking for another. Also, I've been having issues with SL overtaxing my computer in high graphics settings or when there are a lot of people.

Finances are a consideration, and the fact that Amazon will do short-term finances for Prime members is another. So, I've found a likely desktop (I don't actually need a laptop anymore, since I'm not working out of other people's homes like I was when I bought the current machine.)

So, do you more technically inclined folks think either of these computers would be able to handle the load of SL blogging (and possibly vlogging, as Youtube looks like a lot of fun) and socializing?

https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-ArchA...csL&ref=plSrch

https://smile.amazon.com/SkyTech-Gam...=plSrch&sr=1-5

*A note - not to sound snarky, but suggestions about building one myself or parting together pieces of things are probably not the most helpful here. But if you have other suggestions in about this price point that I could finance through Amazon, then HECK YES!
Blaise Glendevon is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 09-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Please State the Nature of the Mustelid Emergency

The specs seem fine, the 1050Ti looks better than the 960M on my gaming laptop which is just fine.

If you can find one that's shipping with an SSD, even a much smaller SSD, I'd recommend it, but that's also something you can do later.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Those look like a good set of specs on either option. I would be tempted to add some more/better fans and consider an SSD but those are not essential and are easy to add later.

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Random Chat Bot

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 19, 2007
Business: SunBunny Creative
Client: Lite-Brite
Both of those computers have mechanical harddrives which will be a big performance hit and long term wont make you very happy. If you want a computer that will last you another 6 years, you are probably looking in the $900 range.

Newegg has some really nice gaming computer with SSDs. I would check out them or even Dell. They both have financing options. Also you can get a low interest rate personal computer loan through your local credit union.
Summer Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I like the specs on the first system better, being a 6-core as opposed to a quad-core. Yeah, the clock speed in the quad-core is slightly faster, but the difference is insignificant. Like the others pointed out, you will want to eventually replace the hard drive with an SSD, especially as SSD prices are really coming down (I replaced the hard drive in my aging laptop with a 240GB SSD for fifty bucks a couple of weeks ago, and wow, what a difference). But the 7200 RPM hard drive in the first system will serve you well in the meantime.

All in all, this is a very competent system.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Out chasing balloons

Soft n furry

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon Viewer

Special Achievement In Necroposting 
you can get up to date hardware at near the same price maybe consider current ryzen systems as well to take advantage of software bein optimized fo it and in the future

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...keywords=RYZEN

https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Archa...70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Gamin...70_&dpSrc=srch
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Out chasing balloons

Soft n furry

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon Viewer

Special Achievement In Necroposting 
This is a steal better get it before its gone and future proof for along time + IBUYPOWER is hand built in the USA by very experienced techs
https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Des...keywords=RYZEN
Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Never the same girl twice.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2010
Client: Second Life V3
You guys! Thank you for your helpful input. Sweetheart and I are still hashing out which one I might pick up for Christmas. The eventual SSD and fans upgrade are something he's already talking about, as well.

I'll keep you posted!
Blaise Glendevon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
This is a steal better get it before its gone and future proof for along time + IBUYPOWER is hand built in the USA by very experienced techs
https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Des...keywords=RYZEN
This looks like a good deal.

It has a better cpu than my suggestion, but the video card in this one might give you less trouble.

This one might give better performance in SL and in single threaded games, but overall is similar.

This has a 1050ti in it and an R3 1200, so is a weaker system overall, but still quite decent, and it's cheaper too.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Please State the Nature of the Mustelid Emergency

Alas, multiple cores don't do that much for SL.

The iBuyPower looks good, except maybe for the AMD video card. nVidia does a better job with OpenGL. I've had some really bizarre glitches with ATI/AMD on Windows/Linux.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pancakes alt

Bondage Luddite

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/28/2009
You might also look on https://www.cyberpowerpc.com

I bought my new rig there and they have a monthly payment plan. Personally, i'd go with a beefier rig and use the money set aside to pay monthly while saving a bit over the next 8 or so months for the rest of the payments.

The one I got runs beautifully, looks good and most of the updates were already done. Professional wiring and really sturdy packing was also a huge plus. They've also got a summer special running.

Hope that helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake
You are that evil voice on my shoulder Roxy.
Roxy Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
There's a youtube channel called tech deals that discusses comparison shopping for computers and components, and he just did a long video comparing budget options new and used. That $630 Ryzen/1050ti system was discussed. I think Gagriell's $730 Cyberpower was discussed, too. It may even be the one he really liked.

Biker is right. The current AMD CPUs are Ryzens, and they are good values. Intel has better single-core performance for the money, AMD has more cores and threads for the money. SL and a lot of games will not take advantage of a lot of cores, but since you keep computers for a long time, more cores will be more future proof for non-SL gaming. And since you keep computers for a while, look for something with a 240G+ SSD as a boot drive. You'll otherwise be looking to migrate a Windows install in the nearish future.

The 1050ti will run SL well. An RX 570 will be somewhat better (for some games, maybe not for SL) and somewhat more expensive. A RX 580 compares to a GTX 1060, which comes in 3G and 6G versions. The 3G version will run SL wonderfully, the 6G version will be more future proof.

FWIW the Amazon financing thing is being offered to me, but I don't have prime.

Last edited by Anya Ristow; 09-17-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Anya Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed: