state of SL avatar, skin, clothing - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » state of SL avatar, skin, clothing

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2018, 06:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
state of SL avatar, skin, clothing

I've been out of SL so long I don't know what it's like to create and outfit an avatar anymore, and the PC I built for SL a few years ago has a graphics glitch so I gave up.

I'm just wondering if it's once again possible to change the shape of an avatar using sliders and have clothing and skin "just work"? Is there a currently-relevant primer on SL avatars that is from a user's perspective and not a content creator's?
Anya Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
SLERPee

strange but not a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Anya, if you have a complete stock SL "system" avatar nothing has changed in that regard - sliders, skins, "system" clothing layers still the same.

In the time you've been away, SL technical advances have supported the growth of 3rd party replacement avatar body parts - bodies, hands, feet, heads - which are basically mesh attachments over your alpha hidden system body. Can you adjust them using the sliders? Bodies, for the most part, yes. Heads? Only if they are of the "bento" variety (each vendor's body and bento head starts with it's own shape which will determine to some extent what the final outcome, achieved with the sliders, will be). Take a look at the FAQs and tutorials on this site to get an idea of the current SL avatar state of the art.

A good overview

Last edited by jacqueline trudeau; 06-29-2018 at 11:17 AM.
jacqueline trudeau is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Like This:
Old 06-29-2018, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friendly Biker 100%

Too Old for This Job

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007
Client: Firestorm
The other day I was helping a guy in the Linden Spanish forums regarding clothing and had to tell him that now there is a direct relationship between mesh bodies and sizes.

As Jaqueline pointed out, these replacements own the market now. Very few stores release content compatible for the old avatar shape so wearing mesh bodies makes SL simpler. Also, wearing specific sizes for mesh bodies makes life so easier too, you can adjust your shape and the clothes normally fit.

And yes, most mesh bodies allow to adjust your shape with sliders, so all in all, it's the most satisfying solution once you pass the learning curve of mesh attachments.
For example these are the measures of my avatars (Maitreya, Slink & Belleza) that customers can use as a reference if they want. You can use your own shape too if you want with your own parameters.

Amigo Uriza is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Like This:
Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
Perfect, thank you both.

I've been premium all these years, so I have money to spend.
Anya Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
There is an upcoming feature that will allow mesh bodies to wear system clothing. They can already use the sliders if they're fitmesh.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
There is an upcoming feature that will allow mesh bodies to wear system clothing. They can already use the sliders if they're fitmesh.
THAT might get me to convert to a mesh body... Maybe. I just don't want to lose my current look.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
THAT might get me to convert to a mesh body... Maybe. I just don't want to lose my current look.
The only downside is, just like system clothing always is, it will just be painted on your mesh body, so you'll still have wedgies and the suction tshirt look.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Never the same girl twice.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2010
Client: Second Life V3
Tried the baked-on mesh, and while the potential of skins matching your mesh body are super cool, you're probably still going to need hand and feet appliers. There's just no way to line up those fingernails.

Also, faces will be very situational, depending on the structure of your mesh head and slider settings. Some things just don't fit.

But it's a good start. I still don't see old system clothes being better than the applier layers, though, unless you have sentimental stuff you just don't want to let go of.
Blaise Glendevon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would think that clever mesh avatar design could take advantage of baking, by building in the equivalent of the "spandex" morphs on the DAZ figures. (Morphs in Poser work like sliders in SL- the spandex morphs smooth out body creases like cleavage and muscle definition to achieve the effect of stretched fabric.)

While the current SL implementation does not allow mesh avatar designers to create their own sliders, the effect would be possible through geometry swapping.

For tight clothing, baking directly is far more efficient than a separate geometry that will never quite hug the body like it's supposed to. How often do you see mesh underwear, stockings, or swimsuits that don't look like ill-fitted stone objects?
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

juicy

SL Join Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
I felt the same way about converting to mesh...I didn't want to lose my old look. Really, though, I got over it pretty quickly once I saw how amazing mesh looks (especially with heads, and the ability, thanks to Bento, to create your own look).
lucylove is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-03-2018, 01:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylove View Post
I felt the same way about converting to mesh...I didn't want to lose my old look. Really, though, I got over it pretty quickly once I saw how amazing mesh looks (especially with heads, and the ability, thanks to Bento, to create your own look).
Appliers are a godsend, really. They allow me to run around buck naked in my old system outfit I've been wearing since 2010
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-03-2018, 01:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo Uriza View Post
The other day I was helping a guy in the Linden Spanish forums regarding clothing and had to tell him that now there is a direct relationship between mesh bodies and sizes.

As Jaqueline pointed out, these replacements own the market now. Very few stores release content compatible for the old avatar shape so wearing mesh bodies makes SL simpler. Also, wearing specific sizes for mesh bodies makes life so easier too, you can adjust your shape and the clothes normally fit.

And yes, most mesh bodies allow to adjust your shape with sliders, so all in all, it's the most satisfying solution once you pass the learning curve of mesh attachments.
For example these are the measures of my avatars (Maitreya, Slink & Belleza) that customers can use as a reference if they want. You can use your own shape too if you want with your own parameters.

And for the thin look, there's also Tonic "Fine body". I'm not sure what the numbers would be for that, though.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-03-2018, 03:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Music Lover

*SLU Supporter*

me

SL Join Date: Oct 24 2003
I guess I'm terribly out of date. No mesh here. I'm afraid to go out in public. Maybe I should hire a fashion designer.

Essence Lumin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
3 Users Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
And for the thin look, there's also Tonic "Fine body". I'm not sure what the numbers would be for that, though.
Or if you want to be Obese there are the Piggu avatars.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
pushes vertices

Shinyyyyy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 666
Business: Timetwist by A2NZ
Client: Official Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essence Lumin View Post
I guess I'm terribly out of date. No mesh here. I'm afraid to go out in public. Maybe I should hire a fashion designer.

You're rocking that parrot. You'll be fine!
I see your work and think 'she'll go far' which is why theres no need of an aide memoire
xxxxxx
My instagram
Raindrop Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-03-2018, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friendly Biker 100%

Too Old for This Job

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007
Talking about obese .....
Mesh avatars can be fun. Different & realistic.

And you can get the perfect add-on. Though I don't know if you wear them or the add-on wears you.

And this is obviously a Centaur Avatar.

Amigo Uriza is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 07-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

*whrr* *beep* DEAL WITH IT

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

This thread just went to 11.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo Uriza View Post
Talking about obese .....
Mesh avatars can be fun. Different & realistic.

And you can get the perfect add-on. Though I don't know if you wear them or the add-on wears you.

And this is obviously a Centaur Avatar.

Erm.. ok, well, those are certainly a thing. I wouldn't even call em obese though. More like living blow up dolls?

Maybe it's just a taste thing.

Here's an actually attractive overweight shape imho:

\_(ツ)_/
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Maybe obese was too harsh? But June is definitely more shapely than 90% of the SL avatars and Johnathan is a fat slob.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

Pop!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Honestly, I find the Piggu avatars much stronger in conception than design. I do appreciate the thought behind them, but the actual mesh and texture work I think is a bit disappointing. They're nice enough for occasional use rp alts, but I'd want a bit more polish for something I was going to use for my primary appearance.

However, I've seen some of the modding work people have done with them, and it is really impressive. So if you're a bit of a kitbasher, you might get more out them.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
Honestly, I find the Piggu avatars much stronger in conception than design. I do appreciate the thought behind them, but the actual mesh and texture work I think is a bit disappointing. They're nice enough for occasional use rp alts, but I'd want a bit more polish for something I was going to use for my primary appearance.

However, I've seen some of the modding work people have done with them, and it is really impressive. So if you're a bit of a kitbasher, you might get more out them.
I get what you mean, but when you are the only one actually trying, well. You have to give them credit for filling a niche I guess.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
I get what you mean, but when you are the only one actually trying, well. You have to give them credit for filling a niche I guess.
Also, everything about them is rediculously affordable next to every other mesh body. Heck even the full perm templates for clothes are cheap.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
Music Lover

*SLU Supporter*

me

SL Join Date: Oct 24 2003
I have always had a problem in SL making an interesting male av. I'm male so it would be preferable so people didn't misunderstand. My male Essence is ok I guess (thanks for the likes!) but the female version has more of a personality, if somewhat crazy. Here she is at a music club last night. She is actually quite short but the camera perspective lies about that.

My best rl friend doesn't want to hang out with her because of her crazy eyes. Oh well I think those are essential. I don't like the black marks on the left and right of her face but haven't figured out how to get rid of them.

Last edited by Essence Lumin; 07-04-2018 at 06:04 AM. Reason: for picture after adjusting her tiara
Essence Lumin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-04-2018, 05:59 AM   #24 (permalink)

Foxed

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
I have started looking at getting a (human) mesh body but have trouble with getting the right results with marketplace. Even if I do find something I have to check what the body looks like with a small bust (breast size around 30)

If, for example, I search for 'Maitreya Lara', I can find accessories etc, but not the body.
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Special Snowflake

Pickled

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2nd July 2007
Client: Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiri View Post
I have started looking at getting a (human) mesh body but have trouble with getting the right results with marketplace. Even if I do find something I have to check what the body looks like with a small bust (breast size around 30)

If, for example, I search for 'Maitreya Lara', I can find accessories etc, but not the body.
It's best to go to the stores and try on demos of bodies. Maitreya Lara isn't sold on the Marketplace and hooray for that, I like to go to actual stores occasionally.
Tirellia is offline   Reply With Quote