state of SL avatar, skin, clothing - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » state of SL avatar, skin, clothing

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #51 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristalle View Post
It was possible to buy only one body, if you paid the picture of the body version you liked.
I checked it again just now. There is no way to pay for them individually. The three pictures are just pictures.

Quote:
Yes, you need a head to go with the body.
Will do.

Quote:
It should go without saying but you may need to make sure that the head applier you buy also has a matching body applier.
I think I did at least that part right
Anya Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
Honestly, the body/head are barely the start of it. A bento setup needs bento anims.
I'm okay with that as I was never much into anims and don't love any that I have. But I can see this being a problem for content creators. I sold a DJ booth with an anim that probably isn't useful anymore. Fortunately, that was right about the time I closed my store, so I think the only copies in the wild are review samples.

Quote:
Included mesh clothing layers are great if your body comes with them
I don't even know how that works, yet. The Belleza HUD manages clothing layers, and I don't know what it's compatible with. As far as I know I own no mesh clothing.

Quote:
an entire new wardrobe - even the mesh stuff you already have is unlikely to fit your new body
I was prepared for that.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #53 (permalink)

Anya, FWIW I'm still making do with a Maitreya mesh body and system head. I had a lot of skins before mesh bodies arrived, and this approach has allowed me to use many of them. I don't use the skin tinting feature much to try to match older skins, though.

Instead, I bought body appliers for a couple of skin makers (e.g. Belleza, LAQ), and voila, was able to use quite a few skins I already had. You can also buy skins from Glam Affair in the tones that Maitreya used in their hud, if you like their makeups, and they will match the default skins perfectly.

I've bought a few newer skins as well (so that I have materials options) that came with both appliers and the matching head skin. I want to say Alaskametro has some.

With this approach, I can also use all the neat lipsticks/eyeshadows/blush and facial tatts that I accumulated over the years.

For me, making a mesh head look the way I wanted required endless time or endless money or both. I ended up thinking the way to go was to buy a head that I like the hud for, then find a head shape and skin for it that I like the look of, and just stay with that look forever lol. But since I really like changing up my body looks, that just didn't appeal. Also, frankly, the mesh heads tempt me with more cool facial animations than I really want to spend time messing with. If I were primarily a fashion photographer, it would make sense. But since my main activities in SL are just ... living, and generally no one will notice my cool facial expressions, meh.

Last edited by Nika Talaj; 08-20-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #54 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Official, Various RCs, Marines,Firestorm - for testing stuff. BlackDragon - For everything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya Ristow View Post
I don't even know how that works, yet. The Belleza HUD manages clothing layers, and I don't know what it's compatible with. As far as I know I own no mesh clothing.

It varies depending on the system the creator uses. Some makers build "clothing layers" into the body, they are part of the body and rigged with it so of course they fit perfectly and they are generally UV-mapped the same as the SL body so that if a texture for system clothing or a system skin is applied to them it maps properly - The "applier" uses the UUID pf the texture(s) used to make the system clothing or skin to tell the scripted mesh body to display it on a particular layer.

The downside of doing it "built-in" like this is that you can't vary the "tightness of the fit" at all and even if you're not displaying a particular clothing layer, the geometry is still there, just invisible. In the past, this was a lag disaster, because all transparent textures still had to be handled by your graphics card -using the "highlight transparent" feature in the viewer would show their presence. Now it may not be, depending on how the creator handles making them vanish. If they are scripted to 0.0 alpha (the equivalent of setting 100% transparency in the prim editor) the server knows not to send that "face" of the mesh at all (you won't see them in highlight transparent view) If the transparency is handled by the textures alpha channel they are the same as they used to be.

What Niramyth does with the aesthetic body is the other approach available to creators. The box contains basic clothing meshes - a bodysuit, tops in "compression" "close" "medium" and "loose" fits, trousers in "compression" "fitted" and "loose" along with applier scripts which will paint a system texture on whichever of the clothing meshes you're wearing. Out of the box they aren't much use unless you made the system clothing yourself and have the texture UUIDs to paste into the applier scripts but it means that like with the built-in options all a clothing creator needs to do is throw the textures they already made for system clothing into applier scripts and the user can just use those to texture copies of the clothing layers from the body maker. Upside of doing it this way is if you're not going to wear a particular layer of clothing, it's not there at all as it's separate from the mesh body itself and as a user you can texture a copy of one of the "clothes" with an applier and then descript it, you don't need to keep the listener script active or re-run the applier to change outfits.
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #55 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post
Anya, FWIW I'm still making do with a mesh body and system head.

I've quite recently rolled back to using my system head. The mesh head was just too much trouble. It wasn't like I could get it set up and be done with it; there have been so many new versions released that I can't keep up. Every time I logged in wearing the older version, the newest one would plunk into my Inventory again.

More than anything, I miss the skin, which isn't available for a system head.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #56 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Anya, FWIW I'm still making do with a Maitreya mesh body and system head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post

I've quite recently rolled back to using my system head. The mesh head was just too much trouble.
I hope there's room for one more on the rollback train.

I don't like my catwa -it seems to have a perpetual snarl to it, and I have no idea how to customize it so that it's the shape and look I want (mostly the shape).

I'm gonna stick with it a little while out of in-game peer pressure, but in the end I'm gonna probably go back to my old system head.

-The Alan Parsons Project "Games People Play"
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
a perpetual snarl to it
This has seemed to me to be a pervasive issue with mesh heads, and I don't know why. I, too, have been unable to bend up the corners of the mouth to any useful extent using sliders, tho I've seen at least a couple of quite nice expressions in mesh head AOs.

I sometimes wonder if it's cultural. Are most mesh head makers European or Asian? The resting expression in the US is a slight smile, whereas the resting expression in many other cultures is more neutral.
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #58 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

Pop!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
I sometimes wonder if it's cultural. Are most mesh head makers European or Asian? The resting expression in the US is a slight smile, whereas the resting expression in many other cultures is more neutral.
It's to do with photography and the prevalence of neutral and/or pouting faces in fashion and glamour modelling. Head designers aren't aiming to model a natural resting face. They're modelling the faces they see in advertisments and magazine spreads.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #59 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Quote:
I checked it again just now. There is no way to pay for them individually. The three pictures are just pictures.
I was mistaken. Not the pictures themselves, but there is a small box, not linked to the picture, in the upper left corner that you can pay to buy an individual body. They are 2499 each.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #60 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

After having considered how much of a pain in the ass it's going to be to find the near-impossible combination of mesh head AND body AND skin that closely matches my current look, then considering the idea of throwing out my entire wardrobe that I've spent years accumulating, just to start completely fresh, hoping that the clothes I like just happen to be compatible with my mesh body...

I've decided I'm perfectly okay being the last person in SL to still be sporting a system avatar.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #61 (permalink)

Redheaded!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 19, 2006
First, some Levity:

Reads thread, puts on Sam Browne hat and goes all fashionista Drill Sergeant:

So Glamour and Glitter, Fashion and Fame are HARD? Tell it to your MOMMA! Beauty and Fashion are PAIN! You want Fashion, then you have to WORK and pay the price in sweat, pain, tears and L$

The most puissant avatars in the world are Fashionistas and their L$ balances. It is your Fashionsta instinct which must be harnessed if you expect to survive "who-is-the-prettiest-here" fashion combat. Your L$ is only the tool. It is you Fashionista Instinct that buys. If your Fashionista Instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not shop. You will betray the Tao of the Fashionista and then you will be in a World of Evil because Fashionistas are not allowed to not be pretty

Now for the serious responses. I can understand the frustration of dealing with bodies and whatnot. I personally did not quickly jump on the mesh body part bandwagon.

You remember those shoes with included feet from places like GOS? I didn't go for those because what I wanted was for some smart person to do feet, that you then bought shoes for so you wouldn't have to go to the trouble of individually tinting every pair.

I bought mesh hands first, and then slink feet when shoes were released that I liked.

I was late for mesh bodies, I was hoping for a shakeout and for One Body to Rule Them All....did not happen. My first was Belleza Venus, which did NOT work well for me because of something I didn't know till after I bought the body. The Belleza Shyla/Betty series of skin shades never got Venus appliers. And like many pale redheaded vintag/glamour/classic avatars, I worshiped the Betty skins.

So I had to change skins....and once I did that, it made it a no brainer to jump to Maitreya once it got enough of the market and mindshare. I used that with what fashions I already had. I'd been buying mesh things in standard sizes (HA!) for a while.

My first mesh head was a Lelutka that I was cajoled into getting because a certain Ice-cube-sitting acquaintance said I needed to keep up appearance wise and said I wasn't doing it. It wasn't exactlythe right head for me and it bugged me enough I didn't wear it often. The view from the side was the problem. (that's been fixed) Anyway I waited a while and then saw the Catwa Tumble, which resembled pre-mesh me to a certain extent. I switched to that and then a Catwa Kathy (bento), which is my current head.

I use the same shape I have been using since 2006. I version number it and it has been modded over the years. I got help modifying it to work with the bento head from the original designer of the shape. It turns out that it was ONE slider that I hadn't adjusted that was causing issues. Total Facepalm on my part.

Anyway it's fine now and I look like me, only better.

Show Your Style IV: The Devil Wears Nada

Quote:
I finally went shopping for a body.
Yay

Quote:
The only way I can find it is using the "recent" tab.
Worship and Love the Recent tab.

Quote:
But when I sign off and back on? Recent tab empty. Awesome.
Because by default it only shows you things that have arrived since logoff. You can change that See that gear at the bottom of the inventory, click it and Show filters, unclick since log-off, click newer than and change to whatever amount of hours/days you want.

Quote:
I could not find a way to purchase just the one (of three) bodies I wanted. They only sell a fat pack. L$4500. Seriously?
Seriously that's probably just ONE body.

Quote:
There are head appliers for sale I select one and buy the demo.
Head appliers are for mesh heads, not system heads.

Quote:
It's the ugliest damned thing ever. Why make a distorted demo shape?
Because they don't want people to use demo shapes as their real shape, they want to sell shapes.

Quote:
I'm still naked. It would be nice if the L$4500 bodies came with some crappy pants I could wear to go shopping.
Usually they do come with an underwear applier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandoraB View Post
I agree with you that as someone new to mesh bodies it can be daunting, try joining the support groups, I believe matreiya has a one, dunno if Belleza has one, always people there that want to help. Also take your time, allow youself to get acquainted with the body, dont expect it be perfect right at the start.
Yeah, join the mesh body groups and Skin Addiction, also Fashion Emergency. Strawberry Singh also has some of the best Mesh body and head tutorials out there on her website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Levenque View Post
I'm still a work in progress although I think I've finally got the sliders where I want 'em. The skin I chose works, but there's too much texture emphasis on the boobs for me. Also, I still have my system head—I'll fight that battle another time. But given all that, I have to tell you I couldn't be happier. I still look like Dil. Only better.
Yay! But if you pick up a Bento head, you can still look like you!

Quote:
I've quite recently rolled back to using my system head.
Beebs, Nooo! Bring the Mesh Sexy back.

Quote:
there have been so many new versions released that I can't keep up. Every time I logged in wearing the older version, the newest one would plunk into my Inventory again.
Which head? most don't get updated that often...if at all.

Quote:
Just have to find you the right non-annoying head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
I don't like my catwa -it seems to have a perpetual snarl to it,
Quote:
This has seemed to me to be a pervasive issue with mesh heads, and I don't know why. I, too, have been unable to bend up the corners of the mouth to any useful extent using sliders, tho I've seen at least a couple of quite nice expressions in mesh head AOs.
Resting Bitch Face? Usually there's a button in the head animations hud that'll will upturn them a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
It's to do with photography and the prevalence of neutral and/or pouting faces in fashion and glamour modelling. Head designers aren't aiming to model a natural resting face. They're modelling the faces they see in advertisments and magazine spreads.
Probably, and since my look is on the "print/catalog model" side of the SL fashion spectrum the default works for me...mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
After having considered how much of a pain in the ass it's going to be to find the near-impossible combination of mesh head AND body AND skin that closely matches my current look,
It's not difficult, Bento head, find the body that works for you, and often times your favorite skin maker will have done appliers.

I usually recommend Maitreya for bodies, since it has the best support.

For heads, I recommend Catwa, Lelutka if you don't want Catwa, the rest don't have as good support. They may be fine heads, but you're not going to have a lot of appliers and Omega's don't always work well on every head.
3 Users Like This:
Old 08-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #62 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
After having considered how much of a pain in the ass it's going to be to find the near-impossible combination of mesh head AND body AND skin that closely matches my current look, then considering the idea of throwing out my entire wardrobe that I've spent years accumulating, just to start completely fresh, hoping that the clothes I like just happen to be compatible with my mesh body...

I've decided I'm perfectly okay being the last person in SL to still be sporting a system avatar.
I made that decision way back when all this got started. And I'll be sticking with that decision when/if I log in again.

There are others like us so you likely won't be the last.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #63 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:

nope, that'll be me... or us

we can call it 'the natural look' and start a trend
Originally Posted by Nemo Quisquam View Post
"Sansar: come for the user created 3D content, stay forever in an endless cycle of attachment and disappointment!"
Couldbe Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 08-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #64 (permalink)
Verti's Minion

*SLU Supporter*

Thirteen years of PURPLE!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 5, 2005
Wow, Anya. I'm sorry to hear you had such a terrible time getting yourself into mesh. Don't feel bad about it, though. You're right: figuring out mesh bodies and heads is a huge pain in the butt, even for veterans. The learning curve is stupidly steep. I feel really bad for newbies. Unfortunately it's the price we pay (and keep paying) for LL going when it comes to updating base content - like, say, 15-year-old default avatar meshes that were likely never meant to be more than a placeholder.

Some of the problems you had stem from working around legacy content. Some problems are just dealing with SL's awful inventory system, both for avatars and objects. (No folders in objects after all this time, LL? Come on!) I can only commiserate with you on those issues. You don't want to see my inventory. It's... messy.

I have mesh bodies from the three most popular creators: Maitreya Lara, Slink Hourglass, and Belleza Freya. I used Freya at first, then Lara, and now Hourglass. I like them all for different things and wish I could cut-and-paste them together for the perfect (to me) experience.

HUDs are a tossup, since most creators probably don't have experience designing user interfaces. I like Maitreya's the best. Belleza's is ok. Slink's is good but slow, which makes things worse if the sim is slow. And they all work differently. Switching bodies means learning the HUD all over again.

Mesh heads are still optional, I think. I do use one now (Lelutka Chloe) but didn't for a long time. Many skin makers still provide system skins or some other way to make the system head compatible with a mesh body. You'll have to check with your skin makers to see if that's the case.

You've probably heard "Bento" tossed around a lot. In short, it's the ability for mesh heads (and other attachements, like hair) to respond to your shape's slider settings. (There's other stuff but those are the relevant bits.) Old mesh heads looked the same from one avatar to the next because they couldn't be changed. New mesh heads don't have that problem. They don't respond to all the shape sliders though. Which ones work is up to the creator's design, mostly. Demos are your friend here, as with all mesh content.

For Bento mesh heads, eyebrows work the same way they always have: the old system hair piece! I know my mesh head came with a special hair piece that hid the system hair and let me adjust the eyebrows however I wanted. Just right-click > Edit and you should be set.

You can use the demo shapes that come with mesh bodies as a starting point. I wound up creating a new shape from scratch. It took a lot of work and comparing screenshots (mesh body to system body) but I eventually got something close to my old shape. I always think of it as a work in progress, however. Different bodies will give you different results, since they don't respond to sliders the same way.

I will pick at one nit, though.

Quote:
But unlike the other mesh bodies I looked at today, the Bellezia bodies can be made to resemble humans. Humans without spider-proportion legs.
Having three different mesh bodies (yes I'm insane) I've had a lot of time to tweak things. I think you can get reasonable shapes from all of them. Lots of people like tall and thin shapes. I go the other way - short and curvy. With mesh bodies this has its own problems. Mesh bodies and the old system body have the same problem: they don't like being pushed to the extremes of the sliders, especially the low end. The meshes distort in bad ways. Sometimes you can work around it, and fiddling with the sliders to get a proper shape was difficult even in the old days.

Still, here's what I wound up with over the years:

They're not entirely realistic, no. They're all fairly short, with the Hourglass body at 5 feet, 8 inches (173 cm) counting the shoes, and the other bodies an inch or so taller. (I got shorter as I went from one body to the next. ) They're all really curvy. That's personal preference. All three bodies have things I do and don't like about them, both aesthetically and technically. I could go on all day. But I do think they're all reasonably proportional. Centerfold proportional, maybe, but still human.

If you're still struggling with this stuff, feel free to message me here or in-world. I'm not in-world a lot these days so we could always schedule a time to get together. MAKEOVER TIME!

Most importantly, don't give up. You can do this!
Sean Gorham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #65 (permalink)

Thank you for this this thread. It, and some cajoling and encouragement from friends, and a link to a great website about mesh bodies in SL that I can't find now, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhere in this discussion, led me to trying a mesh body for one of my avatars.

I got a Maitreya Lara body, and played with the sliders a lot, including having one of my alts wear my old system shape and stand beside my avatar wearing Lara to give me a reference point.

The new shape is not exactly the same as the old shape, but it is recognizable as me, and I like it.

I kept my system head, and may someday get a mesh head, but no rush. I got an applier for my LAQ skin, and that worked well.

Maitreya had some nice free clothes that are getting me by, and I already some Maitreya things in inventory that were group gifts or whatnot that I hadn't dealt with. Now I deal with them a little bit whenever I log on, and I've made a few dressy and one casual outfit that all look work, and I'm doing a little casual freebie shopping.

The Lara body, I should note, is the most expensive purchase that I have ever made in SL. (Thank you, picks camping.) So the other alts are going to be appearing in their system shapes for some time.

I have some mesh things based on the five standard sizes. Should I keep them or throw them away? I guess I can make them work if I'm willing to alpha out parts of my body that show through, and should toss them the ones that I'm not willing to do that for.

I think that I should discard nearly all of my system skins except my current LAQ. I'll have to look for appliers for the one or two that I like, including Firestarter from Aeva/Heartsick, in case I want to go as a red demon on Halloween.

Should I just keep using my system eyes until I get a mesh head? or should I try mesh eyes now?

And what about system clothes? I have a lot that I really like, and even more that I should frankly have thrown away years ago and some that I haven't even opened. Free stuff really enables my shopping addiction.

Anyway, thank you again for all of the advice and information.
sldenizen is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldenizen View Post
I have some mesh things based on the five standard sizes. Should I keep them or throw them away? I guess I can make them work if I'm willing to alpha out parts of my body that show through, and should toss them the ones that I'm not willing to do that for.
That's what I do.
Quote:
I think that I should discard nearly all of my system skins except my current LAQ. I'll have to look for appliers for the one or two that I like, including Firestarter from Aeva/Heartsick, in case I want to go as a red demon on Halloween.

Should I just keep using my system eyes until I get a mesh head? or should I try mesh eyes now?
Yes, most system skins can be trashed unless you can find appliers or they're Glam Affair. Re: red demon - remember you can tint the body to match the simpler novelty skins you have. ETA: Note that even if bakes-on-mesh works with old system skins, generally they won't look perfect because the hands and feet (at least) will have shading that doesn't align with the mesh. Skin makers making appliers for their old skins usually provide new hand and feet textures, with details blended out.

Mesh eyes work fine with system heads. I always use them with mesh heads, because the system eyes look very sunken to me.
Quote:
And what about system clothes?
If you have ones that you really like, you may want to hold onto them until the Bakes-on-Mesh feature rolls out. There's already a beta viewer that lets you just wear existing system clothes, with a little fidgeting. If some are gowns, you may want to drop by the maker's store - some of the older makers went back and created appliers for their more popular items.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #67 (permalink)
Under Construction

Figuring things out.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/09/2010
When I returned to SL a few weeks ago, I jumped on the mesh bandwagon pretty quickly. My main hesitation was whether I could get a mesh body/head to look like my system avatar, which I'd worked hard on, looked like me in real life, and I was very attached to. But I loved the detail and smoothness of mesh bodies and heads and how clothing looked on them.

Under normal circumstances, the cost might have been a serious consideration. The mesh bodies aren't too bad, but the heads are pretty expensive, and then there's buying skin and a whole new wardrobe. While I was away for six years, I maintained my premium membership and collected my weekly stipend. When I logged back in, I had L$70k waiting for me. That made it a whole lot easier.

So, I bought the body and head. Yeah, there's a learning curve, like everything in SL. Nothing ever seems to be as easy as it should be, but it's not rocket science either. I never experienced the issues that Anya described earlier, but I don't have it all down, and I'm still learning.

I've come to accept that my mesh avi won't look exactly like my system avi, but I'm pretty happy with the results (though I'm always making small adjustments).

It took me a few weeks to draw up the courage to delete most of my old wardrobe especially the specialised pieces like steampunk outfits. But when I put some of it after wearing mesh, it was a lot less painful. I can't see myself going back to system stuff. I only held on to a few favourite tees hoping I can use them again when Bakes On Mesh is released.

So, I'm a convert, and I encourage other people to give mesh a chance, but I concede it's mostly a vanity project. Mesh is expensive, exclusive, overly complicated, and limited in body/skin diversity and clothing styles.

Last edited by Jupiter Firelyte; 09-11-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Jupiter Firelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #68 (permalink)
pushes vertices

Shinyyyyy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 666
Business: Timetwist by A2NZ
Client: Official Viewer
Quote:
I think that I should discard nearly all of my system skins except my current LAQ.
I'd hold on to them for a little while. Bakes-On-Mesh is on the way: this will allow to apply normal skin/tattoo/make-up etc to the system body, then send them to mesh bodies and heads.

Some of those skins might still be usable after all.
I see your work and think 'she'll go far' which is why theres no need of an aide memoire
xxxxxx
My instagram
Raindrop Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #69 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

So last week I finally moved up to new and improved mesh. The backstory is that while I've been living in the Wastelands for a few years already, and have been going to community events and stuff, I never really had a "Wastelands outfit" and a couple of weeks ago I decided to finally fix that, so I started looking for things that would work. Also I'm a kid av, which is only really important when it comes to mesh stuff insofar as I am limited to clothing that's actually intended for kid avatars because of the proportions, or at least that has been true up until now (I haven't really experimented with fitmesh clothing yet). This was one advantage that system clothing had over mesh and is a reason I was slow to adopt it when it first came out.

I have had a non-fitmesh body for a few years; it was somewhat limited though. At that time it was pretty much the only kid mesh body there was - well unless you count the toddler mesh I guess, which was for much smaller kids. But at any rate, there were also only a handful of clothes shops making mesh stuff for kid avatars; and some of these were made for use with the system av and some were made for the mesh body, and a lot of times there wasn't much compatibility between them, because the mesh body had specific alphas designed around clothing templates its makers sold, and if your mesh shirt didn't match those alphas it just didn't work.

So I had only a few outfits and haven't really done any shopping for several years, so I was completely ignorant of what the market was like now, thinking not much has changed. But I was wrong about that.

Nobody here has been asking about kid-avatar mesh so I won't bother with the details; but there are a few different mesh bodies now and at least one of them, the one I got, is fitmesh. It has very comprehensive alphas too, and so far every old mesh clothing of mine that I've tried out on it has worked out fine by tweaking those alphas, with very little, practically unnoticeable fit issues. And of course there's plenty of new stuff being made for this body. But it does seem to be a typical SL mesh body insofar as its creators go - so for instance since I don't have a store, I'll never get a Blender file, so I'll never be able to make my own clothes for it. That's just kind of par for the mesh course unfortunately.

UV wise the fitmesh body uses Omega. I really like that because it meant I was able to get some dirt (for when I'm in the Wastelands) and body freckles (for when I'm not) from Izzie. Since I have my skin as textures (it's a very old skin), I was able to put the UUID's in the applier - the system skin mostly matches, in general, everywhere except the feet where the UV's are completely and noticeably different - and really why wouldn't they be, since the old skin wasn't made for a foot with actual toes? My previous mesh body didn't have this problem; its mesh feet were separate parts that didn't accept applied skin, but just attached to the body with faders, similar to the neck. Anyways, so I can't use my old skin for the fitmesh body after all because of that feet-UVs problem; but one of the default skins it comes with looks pretty decent and matches the tone of my head almost perfectly, so I'll settle for that for now. There's only a few Omega kid skins and they're a little pricey.

For my head, I chose a Normie head. It accepted my skin texture without any problems - although since the texture already has eyebrows and freckles, I had to turn the head-included versions off (or just not get them, in the case of the freckles). The shape, on the other hand, was QUITE different in some ways, but I was able to make the right changes to get it to match my non-mesh head shape very closely. The Normie head seems to accept the Omega appliers - I mean, putting my head skin UUID in an Omega applier did put it on the mesh head - but I have noticed that not as many face-things are sold that mention Omega compatibility, everything always saying Catwa or the other big and famous ones. Hopefully I won't have too many problems, but if I decide to go with a completely new skin after all I wonder if getting freckles and eyebags and that sort of thing that will work with the Normie head will be a pain. I hope not.

I don't expect anyone's interested in pictures but if they are, I guess I can get some later today when I am able to log in.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #70 (permalink)

Not that anyone cares, but here's the mesh head I would, right now, pay big bucks for:

> Modeled for a pleasant expression as default (slight smile, eyebrows arched). OK to have a button for Resting Bitch Face, for those who need it.

> At first release, can buy slightly different versions of the same head so that everyone can get a nose that suits them. The sliders can only change the basic mesh shape SO much. And having to look at new heads with little tweaks every month is SO annoying.

> Optimized for Bakes on Mesh, so that all my old eyeshadow, blush and other makeup tattoos work great.

> Partner with a leading ear maker so that a set of elf (in 2 lengths, preferably!)/pixie/human ears with all the usual jewelry and glittery tips are available in the skin textures that match the default ones for the head.

Maitreya, if you're looking for any growth in your business, many many of us Lara folks left on the mesh head sidelines would SO gladly buy this head from you.
1 User Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 09-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #71 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
Quote:

I've quite recently rolled back to using my system head. The mesh head was just too much trouble. It wasn't like I could get it set up and be done with it; there have been so many new versions released that I can't keep up. Every time I logged in wearing the older version, the newest one would plunk into my Inventory again.

Soon™️ we should get the ability to apply system skins* to mesh bodies, it’s supposed to be out by the end of this year, but who knows.

*so long as said mesh body and/or head uses the linden texture template (aka uv)
Old 09-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #72 (permalink)
pushes vertices

Shinyyyyy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 666
Business: Timetwist by A2NZ
Client: Official Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Nobody here has been asking about kid-avatar mesh so I won't bother with the details; but there are a few different mesh bodies now and at least one of them, the one I got, is fitmesh. It has very comprehensive alphas too (...)
Is it the Tweenster? It's a great body. Low complexity, nice weighing, and the alphas are among the best I've seen.
Raindrop Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:58 PM   #73 (permalink)

I'm giving it another go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronoCloud Creeggan View Post
Usually they do come with an underwear applier.
I don't even know what that means.

I'm wearing the Belleza Freya body and the Belleza universal hud system. It has buttons for layers, outfits and articles, and none of it does anything. If it came with a single set of underwear I would hope I would be able to figure out how to find it and wear it.

I do have a panty and a bra in the Belleza Freya Full folder. Until now I couldn't wear both. When I put one on, the other would disappear. Just now I noticed that they are both attaching to the right hand. Huh? So I did the first thing a newbie would surely think to do, I attached the bra to my left hand LOL. I have no idea if I'm doing this right, but at least now, after two months, I'm at least wearing underwear so I can leave the store

The notecard I dropped on the owner, after not finding the mailbox I was instructed to use? No response. ETA wrong wrong wrong. I have a notecard from her that I didn't notice until filtering my inventory on keywords.

Last edited by Anya Ristow; 09-16-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:48 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm giving it another go
You have a long and often fun learning curve ahead of you. Practice laughing.

Re: the bra. Attachment points now can have multiple objects attached to a single point. If you "Add" objects instead of "Wearing" them, you'll never notice that your right hand has 4 things attached to it. When you "Wear" things, it bumps off anything else that may be attached to that point.
Quote:
Sorry if you already know this:

Mesh bodies have several (generally 3) layers barely above the skin. On Maitreya Lara, the "tattoo" layer is closest to the skin, then "underwear", then "clothing". Textures can be "applied" to these layers via scripted objects, usually HUDs, and they look a lot like the tattoos and system clothes on system bodies. An "applier" will usually ask what layer you want its textures applied to, and then voila. Applied textures can be removed via the body HUD. Some bodies will come with both a mesh set of lingerie and an applied set.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #75 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Quote:
I'm giving it another go

The body is like an onion, with three built in layers over the skin layer (tattoos, underwear and clothing, similar to the system body's layers). Textures can be applied to those layers the same way you texture any prim. At least in theory, if it was mod. You can use an applier to apply clothing textures to those layers. Typically this is for underwear but before there was a wide variety of fitmesh items, this was the best way to get clothes for non-standard shapes (extremely full bust, huge ass, crazy muscular, etc.). And even then, for less popular bodies that are still Omega compatible, this is the best way to get clothes for non-standard shapes. Applier underwear is also very useful when wearing extremely tight mesh clothing, when mesh underwear might stick out from under other clothing items.

When bakes-on-mesh comes, in theory, it will get rid of the need for onion skin bodies and applier clothing, but somehow I doubt that that will go away.

Last edited by Cristalle; 09-15-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This: