state of SL avatar, skin, clothing - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » state of SL avatar, skin, clothing

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiri View Post
Even if I do find something I have to check what the body looks like with a small bust (breast size around 30)

Note that mesh bodies do not work well with a breast size lower than, say, 45. 40 really skirts it.

This is because the way the mesh bodies work - chest size 50 is the state of the base mesh model, and while the upscaling through SL's sliders usually works, the downscaling below that default (i.e. smaller than 50 in the case of chest size ) usually leaves distortions and weirdness in its wake.

So, if you test mesh bodies, test them around chest size ~40-45 minimum. You will have to do a lot shape tweaking anyways to accommodate for a specific mesh body's aesthetics.
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
I think the Utilizator bodies work for a flatter chest but they are designed for furries and anime girls.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
Voice of Reason

Not Amused

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/30/2006
Client: Firestorm/CoolVL
Send a message via Skype™ to Spirits Rising
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I think the Utilizator bodies work for a flatter chest but they are designed for furries and anime girls.
They work well for most female/effeminate type needs.

With a little work you can make them a bit more masculine but they do not go beyond what I tend to call Swimmer's Body type in that direction.
Spirits Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
An Usagi Named

Usagi

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/27/2017
Quote:
I have started looking at getting a (human) mesh body but have trouble with getting the right results with marketplace. Even if I do find something I have to check what the body looks like with a small bust (breast size around 30)

If, for example, I search for 'Maitreya Lara', I can find accessories etc, but not the body.

You might want to try the Slink Physique/Hourglass + The Petite Chest Augment, demos of which can be found at Slink Mainstore if you're looking for something with a smaller breast size.
forrestchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #30 (permalink)

Never the same girl twice.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2010
Client: Second Life V3
The Tonic Fine Body is probably your best slim/small-bust option, but nobody makes clothes for it.
Blaise Glendevon is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 07-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
aka Gem

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer
Quote:
If, for example, I search for 'Maitreya Lara', I can find accessories etc, but not the body.
Maitreya sell their body only in their inworld store.

PS: On the Marketplace I think there is a mod-item available for the Maitreya Lara body, giving her a flat chest.

Last edited by eighthdwarf Checchinato; 07-04-2018 at 04:56 PM.
eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

Pop!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighthdwarf Checchinato View Post
PS: On the Marketplace I think there is a mod-item available for the Maitreya Lara body, giving her a flat chest.
There is, it's sold by V Tech and even has a small but notable support base of clothing designers. Trouble is that it's not intended for small chested women. Rather it's for slimmer men, fembois and various other similar uses. The chest modelling is decidedly masculine.

The best options for smaller chested women have all been mentioned earlier in the thread: either of Utilizator's bodies, the Tonic Fine, or Slink with the smaller chest add-on. All three options have their strengths and weaknesses.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Awards: 1
Super Science Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Glendevon View Post
The Tonic Fine Body is probably your best slim/small-bust option, but nobody makes clothes for it.

Flowey and G Field make small and flat chest clothing. They might work with Tonic Fine. I used to use TF for my femcatboi but you had to have some breast or it look horrid for a flat chest. ViTech's Boi chest worksa great with Flowey and G Field's flat chest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #34 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I've seen a growing number of people making non-anime/furry avatars using the Kemono mesh body, and it looks great. It's all about adjusting the body shape.

The main problem I've seen is the neck, but I hear Starbright, creator of the fitted mesh torso for the Kemono, is working on a neck compatible with Utilizator's "Normie" head.
Penny Patton is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #35 (permalink)

Never the same girl twice.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2010
Client: Second Life V3
Slink has a fitted neck fixer that I've used with great success on other bodies. If you have the Slink Omega installer, you just slap it in and use whatever omega applier goes with the skin.

That's the biggest reason I'm not here for Kemono/Utilizator bodies. No omega. If you had the textures, you could probably make your own applier though. Eh.
Blaise Glendevon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Glendevon View Post

That's the biggest reason I'm not here for Kemono/Utilizator bodies. No omega. If you had the textures, you could probably make your own applier though. Eh.
I wAnt to say Utis stuff uses some funky as hell maping.
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #37 (permalink)
KABALYERO.INFO

Linden Labs o_O How many labs do they have?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Not Emerald
Send a message via Yahoo to Kabalyero
Smile

been out of SL too... even lost my place (forgot to pay land rent... LOL)... so, I don't understand all these mesh body stuff but yesterday I got the Deluxe Mesh Body from #themeshproject and it was somewhat easy (though time consuming) to understand... I will try and get the Mesh Head maybe in another day...

Old 08-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #38 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
I finally went shopping for a body. That was a horrible experience. In fact, armed with years of (old) experience, a very fast PC, and more than L$100,000, I failed. After hours of effort, I gave up.

I started with a list of the most popular mesh bodies, from one of those links someone posted. I tried four of them. They were all truly awful, except one. I ended up spending a lot of time at Bellezia.

I find that demoing these things is a multi-stage process. Buy a demo. Wear it. Touch the thing that rezzzes, sometimes on me and sometimes on my HUD. It puts something in inventory. Wear that. It puts something else in inventory. Repeat until something ends up on my avatar that looks like what I'm trying to buy.

Is all this stuff going into one folder so it doesn't get lost in my inventory? Nope. The only way I can find it is using the "recent" tab. Good thing I remember about that thing. But when I sign off and back on? Recent tab empty. Awesome.

I tried the demo for the three bodies Bellezia sells. Mis-matched body and head was pretty weird, but I already knew that would happen. I wonder what a newbie would think? I was able to edit my shape, which is now a multi-step process just to find it and get into edit more. Seriously? But unlike the other mesh bodies I looked at today, the Bellezia bodies can be made to resemble humans. Humans without spider-proportion legs. So I guess I'll have to buy this one.

I could not find a way to purchase just the one (of three) bodies I wanted. They only sell a fat pack. L$4500. Seriously? It's probably worth that, but what newbie is going to drop that much? I had it, so I groaned and bought it. I was wearing the group tag, which I thought was going to give me 10% discount, according to the sign at the door. Nope. Maybe I got store credit? More on that fail later. [ETA oops, the 10% discount thing was Slink, I think ]

I could not figure out the hud. What are the purple buttons? How about the ones with stars on it? What does all this stuff do? The notecard is...ridiculous. Everything including windlight settings. Maybe there's actual instructions in there for the hud? The FAQ URL is 404.

My head still doesn't match, but I'm happy with my body. There are head appliers for sale I select one and buy the demo. It's a featureless face with no brows. There are brows in the demo, and I wear them. Nothing. The applier has five brow colors. None of them do anything. The face is still featureless.

Maybe the brows are buried in my shape? I try the demo shape. It's the ugliest damned thing ever. Why make a distorted demo shape? Okay, maybe I should try the shape made for this head. I buy it, thinking I'm going to get store credit, for the 10% discount thing. Nope. Zero store credit available. Whatever. I buy the shape. It's pretty good.

Still no brows. I wear the brows from the real shape. Still no brows. Demo applier still doesn't work. Okay, maybe the real applier will work? I buy it. Still no store credit.

Still no brows. The L$700 applier doesn't seem to do anything. The FAQ page is (still) 404. The note card says I should create a notecard with my questions and drop it in the mailbox at the entry of the store. I prepare my questions, I look for the mailbox.

No god damned mail box.

I get properties on the "instruction" notecard to find the creator. I open their profile. LL has put the contact options behind a gear icon, which normally denotes options/settings, doesn't it? The disguise doesn't stop me, I find the option to give the creator my notecard.

I'm still naked. It would be nice if the L$4500 bodies came with some crappy pants I could wear to go shopping.

Last edited by Anya Ristow; 08-19-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Anya Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #39 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
When/if I log in again, I'm sticking with what I have. What Anya went through is bullshit. That is more hassle than a mesh body is worth. If LL didn't keep forcing content creators to fill in the gaps of LL fuckups... bah.

If I had gone as far as the second 404 I would have definitely trashed all demos (which I refuse to pay for) at that point and left without buying a body or head.

I realize people get busy in RL from time to time and can't always fix things promptly but that whole process is just ridiculous. Fuck. That.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #40 (permalink)

What a folking boat!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1 29 2013
Business: the Sail Loft
The only reason I put up with a mesh body is, the fitmesh for them actually works and you can really use the 'fat' slider. With regular mesh sizing it seemed S and XS sizes required a 'fat' setting of 0. That didn't help duplicating my RL "once athletic but now over 30" body shape.

I agree, it's all become way too complicated. A lot of this is like joining an MMO three years after opening and trying to catch up with those who have been there since open Beta.
Trifina is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya Ristow View Post
I finally went shopping for a body. That was a horrible experience. In fact, armed with years of (old) experience, a very fast PC, and more than L$100,000, I failed. After hours of effort, I gave up.

I started with a list of the most popular mesh bodies, from one of those links someone posted. I tried four of them. They were all truly awful, except one. I ended up spending a lot of time at Bellezia.

I find that demoing these things is a multi-stage process. Buy a demo. Wear it. Touch the thing that rezzzes, sometimes on me and sometimes on my HUD. It puts something in inventory. Wear that. It puts something else in inventory. Repeat until something ends up on my avatar that looks like what I'm trying to buy.

Is all this stuff going into one folder so it doesn't get lost in my inventory? Nope. The only way I can find it is using the "recent" tab. Good thing I remember about that thing. But when I sign off and back on? Recent tab empty. Awesome.

I tried the demo for the three bodies Bellezia sells. Mis-matched body and head was pretty weird, but I already knew that would happen. I wonder what a newbie would think? I was able to edit my shape, which is now a multi-step process just to find it and get into edit more. Seriously? But unlike the other mesh bodies I looked at today, the Bellezia bodies can be made to resemble humans. Humans without spider-proportion legs. So I guess I'll have to buy this one.

I could not find a way to purchase just the one (of three) bodies I wanted. They only sell a fat pack. L$4500. Seriously? It's probably worth that, but what newbie is going to drop that much? I had it, so I groaned and bought it. I was wearing the group tag, which I thought was going to give me 10% discount, according to the sign at the door. Nope. Maybe I got store credit? More on that fail later. [ETA oops, the 10% discount thing was Slink, I think ]

I could not figure out the hud. What are the purple buttons? How about the ones with stars on it? What does all this stuff do? The notecard is...ridiculous. Everything including windlight settings. Maybe there's actual instructions in there for the hud? The FAQ URL is 404.

My head still doesn't match, but I'm happy with my body. There are head appliers for sale I select one and buy the demo. It's a featureless face with no brows. There are brows in the demo, and I wear them. Nothing. The applier has five brow colors. None of them do anything. The face is still featureless.

Maybe the brows are buried in my shape? I try the demo shape. It's the ugliest damned thing ever. Why make a distorted demo shape? Okay, maybe I should try the shape made for this head. I buy it, thinking I'm going to get store credit, for the 10% discount thing. Nope. Zero store credit available. Whatever. I buy the shape. It's pretty good.

Still no brows. I wear the brows from the real shape. Still no brows. Demo applier still doesn't work. Okay, maybe the real applier will work? I buy it. Still no store credit.

Still no brows. The L$700 applier doesn't seem to do anything. The FAQ page is (still) 404. The note card says I should create a notecard with my questions and drop it in the mailbox at the entry of the store. I prepare my questions, I look for the mailbox.

No god damned mail box.

I get properties on the "instruction" notecard to find the creator. I open their profile. LL has put the contact options behind a gear icon, which normally denotes options/settings, doesn't it? The disguise doesn't stop me, I find the option to give the creator my notecard.

I'm still naked. It would be nice if the L$4500 bodies came with some crappy pants I could wear to go shopping.

I admire your fortitude and am even more convinced I'll stay with my system body. If I could keep my skins and shape I'd probably suffer though what you've gone through but to come out of it looking different after all that is a bridge too far.

who needs nice hands and feet anyway?
Originally Posted by Nemo Quisquam View Post
"Sansar: come for the user created 3D content, stay forever in an endless cycle of attachment and disappointment!"
Couldbe Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Voice of Reason

Not Amused

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/30/2006
Client: Firestorm/CoolVL
Send a message via Skype™ to Spirits Rising
Some non-human types and a few humanish avatars have a much better time of it and at he very least (from what I have hear from friends that have gone through the process of swapping to mesh) it is not nearly as bad as you seem to have found it to be.

That said I have noticed that - for the male side of things (for humans and similar anyway) - the options are not only somewhat more limited but Adam by Absolut tends to be ignored by those reviewing or building male clothing and such.

No, it isn't cheap to swap to mesh and it is a bit more complicated but what you've experienced does seem to be limited to that creator and a small number of others.
Spirits Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #43 (permalink)

You're saying you are using head appliers, so I assume you have a mesh head? If you're using a system head you need system skins and dont need to use the appliers, they only work on mesh heads.

same goes for brow appliers, they only work on mesh heads.

I agree with you that as someone new to mesh bodies it can be daunting, try joining the support groups, I believe matreiya has a one, dunno if Belleza has one, always people there that want to help. Also take your time, allow youself to get acquainted with the body, dont expect it be perfect right at the start.

Last edited by PandoraB; 08-19-2018 at 03:09 PM.
PandoraB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #44 (permalink)
Woke Woman

*SLU Supporter*

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

I seriously don't remember my demo's of mesh bodies going that badly. I'm sitting here with mouth agape, because I found it all to be a pretty painless process. And I'm not technical AT ALL.

And are you wearing a mesh head, Anya? Because if you're not, then you shouldn't buy an applier, because they're only for mesh heads.

Have you checked any of these? They have a lot useful information.

http://meshbodyaddicts.com/mesh-body...odiesandheads/

http://meshbodyaddicts.com/mesh-body-tutorials/848-2/

https://strawberrysingh.com/mesh-bod...n-second-life/

https://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/atate/2015...n-second-life/

http://blog.nalates.net/2017/04/10/s...lassic-bodies/

http://akeruka.com/blog/mesh-head-faq/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 08-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandoraB View Post
You're saying you are using head appliers, so I assume you have a mesh head?
Am I an idiot for thinking that's what I was buying? In fact, it did change the texture on the back of my head to match my body. It's only the face that is featureless, and since they also sell L$1200 makeup kits, I could be convinced that I need one of those before I can color my face. But since I seem to have a brow selector that does nothing I need more guidance before I dump more money into this.

I paid L$4500 for three bodies, including a very fancy skin applier that has something like eight tones, and each can be modified further, and also some alpha layer customization and clothing layer appliers. The head appliers cost L$700 in individual tones, so I had to select the skin tone I wanted before I bought the head applier. So, the price is in line with the expectation that the head (in one color only, L$700) would give me the same level of capability as the multi-color (L$4500) bodies. That is, it didn't even occur to me that it wouldn't come with a mesh.

But the document for the body (but not the head) says "if you use a mesh head..." and gives guidance for selecting a size, and the applier I bought says nothing of size. So I think I need to shop for a head. Maybe that was in the 404 FAQ.

Last edited by Anya Ristow; 08-19-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #46 (permalink)

Also, at the moment, wearing the shape I bought for my head, my avatar looks a bit like a centaur from the rear, and the shading on the buttocks looks like they are pointing inward. And I have saddle bags but not hips. And my nipples point upward. And this is the best I could do.

I chose the body I did because the hips can be fixed with a slider. In none of the other bodies was I able to make my avatar look like she had any bones in her pelvis. And the other bodies had ridiculously long thighs, and if I shortened the legs, I then had little stubs for calves.

The feet that I currently have are about as big as my ankles.

Last edited by Anya Ristow; 08-19-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #47 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
when I made up my mind not long ago to get back inworld I was determined to eschew mesh bods and stay with my system av. I just did not want to spend a bunch of time learning things all over again; I wanted to be places and talk to friends.

The first friend I met up with was Naz: I picked a Saturday night so I'd know where to find her (DJ-ing). She stays current so of course she's mesh all the way. She talked me into getting a demo (Maitreya), and after playing with that for a couple of days I went for the Lara shape, in part because so many of the meshbodyaddicts tutorials use it as a guide.

I'm still a work in progress although I think I've finally got the sliders where I want 'em. The skin I chose works, but there's too much texture emphasis on the boobs for me. Also, I still have my system head—I'll fight that battle another time. But given all that, I have to tell you I couldn't be happier. I still look like Dil. Only better.
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #48 (permalink)

I cnat tpyipng actlluay, srry

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6th Jan 2007

My only suggestion is to buy a modifiable shape on the MP that is wearing the mesh body you want and the head you want and go from there. Hopefully they have a detailed notecard in the pack telling you what to buy and where as far as skins and appliers and cosmetic layers go. Don't edit the underlying shape until everything is put together.

Generally if it's a shape that came with a head the shape is only made to match the head shot in the vendor pics. Seeing as the body isn't shown in the pictures the creator doesn't bother about proportions below the shoulders.
Amelia Freund is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-20-2018, 12:57 AM   #49 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya Ristow View Post

No god damned mail box.

It was possible to buy only one body, if you paid the picture of the body version you liked. Don't expect your money back, though.

Bento body shapes are "misshapen" in a way because they have extra bones, especially in the face. You would need to tinker quite a bit to get everything to look the way you want it.

As for the HUD, it's a sophisticated bit that tries to keep your focus on one task at a time. So if you need to tweak skin, you use the skin section only. The HUD collapses the other sections not in use. It's not that difficult to use but it's easier to do when you aren't stressed out.

Yes, you need a head to go with the body. Most mesh bodies are not compatible with the classic avatar without a neck blender, and some are not compatible at all because of how it's rigged. Amelia is right to suggest that you start with a shape for a Bento head. Pretty much all the heads come with a basic shape that you can tweak.

It should go without saying but you may need to make sure that the head applier you buy also has a matching body applier. If you've bought one already, make sure you have the matching body or you will have to do some work to tint to make everything match the built in skins.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-20-2018, 05:12 AM   #50 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Official, Various RCs, Marines,Firestorm - for testing stuff. BlackDragon - For everything else.
A while back, there I was with system avs I was happy with but a bunch of my friends were telling me I really should go mesh. About 60% of the time in SL you can't see my human head or my legs below the knees anyway so I shrugged and mostly blew them off. Then one particularly insistent lady showed me a bunch of avatars she'd made based on male mesh bodies and I foolishly admitted that one of them was one I'd be prepared to wear. What I didn't know is that she had an unexpected surfeit of lindens and the next thing I knew a full Aesthetic kit dropped in my incoming folder as a gift. In private, not to appear ungrateful, I grumbled that she hadn't let me try a demo first but it didn't look bad and so I set about getting it to what I considered an "everyday usable" state.

Honestly, the body/head are barely the start of it. A bento setup needs bento anims. Insta-bin almost everything you already got and rework your anim library from duckwalk up. You'd better hope the subset of sliders the head is rigged to let you get close to what you want. Included mesh clothing layers are great if your body comes with them, particularly if they are independently detachable rather than just going invisible, but to convert your favorite outfits to appliers you're going to need the image textures or their uuids. So for most of us who aren't prepared to hoist the jolly roger and fire up GLIntercept that means an entire new wardrobe - even the mesh stuff you already have is unlikely to fit your new body anywhere near how it did your system one. Fortunately I'm a bloke and we can get by with a dozen or so outfits and only two or three pairs of shoes. Even so, if you're contemplating a mesh switch then understand you'll be dropping easily more than five times the sticker price of the body on all the stuff you're going to hang on it before it becomes your everyday avatar.
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This: