What very useful feature in SL or your viewer did you take forever to start using? - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » What very useful feature in SL or your viewer did you take forever to start using?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #51 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
I seem to recall that Emerald had these chat commands. In fact, they started that. They were really handy, too.
Emerald became Phoenix which became Firestorm. It's name has just changed a few times, to avoid drama.
1 User Groaned:
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 06-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #52 (permalink)
Pancakes alt

Bondage Luddite

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/28/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylove View Post
I had one look at the wiki for this and gave up...good to know it's not as hard as it looks.

**dammit, forgot to quote the post I'm responding to...Roxy's post about incorporating your AO into the FS viewer.
It's literally drag and drop. No notecard to set up.

Each animation type has its own space from stands to walks to flying to swimming. You can drag and drop as many as you like into each space and can set the length of time each particular animation type will play before it runs the next animation.

You can also have the animations play either in order or randomly from a check box in each type. So you could have stands play in order and have walks play randomly.

Finally, it frees up an attachment and a button can be added to the bottom bar and -that- has a little check box to turn your AO on and off. Also you can set up as many AOs as you like. I set one up just for dances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake
You are that evil voice on my shoulder Roxy.
Roxy Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #53 (permalink)
Admiral

***busy***

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November 2006
Client: FireStorm (latest release)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline trudeau View Post
I use outfits. But when I load an old one, I usually find I have to take as much time editing it due to different skin, hairbase, makeup choices, body alphas, foot shape, changed shoe coloring, clothing fatpack changes, hair fatpack changes, etc from when I saved it as it would take to just build a new outfit.
I have base outfits with what would be my basic body. Mesh body and head, hair, for my neko avie, ears and tail. Then I have other outfits setup with my clothes and such. That way i only have to change the base outfits if I change my skin or something similar.
"Not in strength are we inferior to men; the same our eyes, our limbs the same; one common light we see, one air we breathe; nor different is the food we eat. What then denied to us hath heaven on man bestowed."
Amazon Queen Penthesilea at Troy
Amanda Dallin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 06-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #54 (permalink)

I have to edit this????

My Mood:
FSRenderFriendsOnlyPersistsTP

and

using "+" to refine inventory searches, so I could find things like vest+maitreya or pink+boot

Last edited by Mistryl Glyn; 06-30-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Mistryl Glyn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
3 Users Like This:
Old 06-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #55 (permalink)
Rabblerouser

*SLU Supporter*

edible

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February, 2007

Awards: 1
The off button
shy poster is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
Old 06-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #56 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shy poster View Post
The off button
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #57 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistryl Glyn View Post
using "+" to refine inventory searches, so I could find things like vest+maitreya or pink+boot
...I had no idea...
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #58 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
...I had no idea...
Related to this, I really wish a lot more searches had good minus operators.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #59 (permalink)

I finally started using Outfits about two years ago. I used to just stare into my inventory trying to figure out what would go with what, then trying things on and changing them over and over, like I do in RL with my closet and mirror.
sldenizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #60 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldenizen View Post
I finally started using Outfits about two years ago. I used to just stare into my inventory trying to figure out what would go with what, then trying things on and changing them over and over, like I do in RL with my closet and mirror.
But that's half the fun of owning clothes!

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #61 (permalink)

I have to edit this????

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldenizen View Post
I miss those days, too. Years ago, every day I'd log on, and spend time putting together an outfit, which I'd then save as an outfit named "!today01", "!today02", etc.

I used these hastily named outfits for when I'd log on mid-week using Lumiya, so I knew that based on the numbers, I could quickly change into something new, without getting hung up on things like color or type of garment, and still wear something different than the day before, although for some reason !today21 and !today22 got worn more often than others.
Mistryl Glyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #62 (permalink)
Ryan Schultz, Sansar

Hanging Out in Sansar

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistryl Glyn View Post
How have I gone 11 years without knowing this?!?? Thanks!
Quiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #63 (permalink)

I cnat tpyipng actlluay, srry

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6th Jan 2007
Client: Firestorm

I'm still yet to use the inbuilt AO in Firestorm.
Amelia Freund is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 07-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #64 (permalink)
Fuzzlebugs Finkmellon

haz dem bodacious ta-tas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2009
Client: Singularity

My folders are all super organised too, but in order to make searching for quicker, easier AND to avoid the snapshot upload fees, I spend hours on a pose stand trying on each garment, taking a photo and saving it to my PC.

I have a ton of folders in my PC for snapshots of all clothes, sorted and sub sorted....
pants: jeans / shorts / leather....and each of those folders sorted by colour. So I can quickly look to see what I want to wear without trawling through my SL inventory and waiting forever for stuff to rez.

Then once I have an outfit put together, that's when I save it as an Outfit. And I really do love the Outfit option. It is a bit annoying that it still charges a snapshot charge but it's well worth it.

I do have a basic outfit put together which is just my master naked avi, and in theory the idea was to always start with that when saving outfits, but of course that rarely happens so I have bits pulled from all over the place. That's where the 'replace links' is a godsend.

I love these threads so much as there are still so many functions in our viewers that we don't know about so I really appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge. If I could be arsed, I would put together some sort of document for 'really useful shit to know about SL'. I know there are a million wikis and tutorials out there, but just a simple, summarised document or list of handy shortcuts, hints, tips, options would be fabulous.

/me waits hopefully for someone to pipe up that such a thing already exists.....

Cristiano
The first rule of Pope Club is you don't talk about Pope Club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinB View Post
Anouk: "Proudly shackling the genie-arses of abnormal men!"
Anouk is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #65 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Please State the Nature of the Mustelid Emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia Freund View Post
I'm still yet to use the inbuilt AO in Firestorm.
I used it for a test but I have too many non-human avatars that require specific AOs that it's just too much of a hassle. Now if it could load the AO from an attachment (maybe having a script chat to the client to tell it what animations to use in what slots) so I could have a "firestorm AO" object... but as it is, I can't use it.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #66 (permalink)
Scaly

Cuffing your dreams

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6th Jan. 2007
Client: Black Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
PROTIP:
Remember that you can put chat commands into gestures, and associate a keyboard key or combination with them...
I have the Groundlevel-teleport, the teleport-to-Camera-position and a few more bound to different keys through gestures.

PRO-PROTIP:
You can teleport to any coordinate as well as any height by clicking into the navigationbar and changing the coordinates, height is always last which makes it really fast.

PRO-PRO-PROTIP:
You can use the navigationbar to search through your favorites, tp history and all your LM's in your inventory as well as initiate a normal SL search if whatever you're searching wasn't found.

PRO-PRO-PRO-PROTIP:
You can also paste SLURLs as well as the secondlife map url's directly into the navigationbar to teleport there, typing in the SIM name directly works as well.
NiranV Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #67 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
I used it for a test but I have too many non-human avatars that require specific AOs that it's just too much of a hassle. Now if it could load the AO from an attachment (maybe having a script chat to the client to tell it what animations to use in what slots) so I could have a "firestorm AO" object... but as it is, I can't use it.
I don't get it. Granted, it's been a while and things may have changed but how is it more of a hassle to just switch out a notecard than it is to swap out an AO? Both take about the same amount of time.

Once I started using the built in AO, I never went back to AO attachments. Just added anims to the notecard or swapped the notecards when I wanted a change. Quick, simple, painless.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #68 (permalink)

Wanted for Makeup Crimes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb 2008
Client: Firestorm, Crystal Ball
I started SL on a dinky underpowered laptop with no mouse. I got a mouse maybe 7 months in.

Building and aligning things for building/decor by eye.
Numbers are for chumps, it’s all about dragging and swinging those arrows. Also without the directional pie grid or snapping because that pesky UI stuff just gets in my way of seeing all the things. I can usually get it pretty accurately ‘straight’ this way, but it drives some people mad, especially when you don’t square up the house/building and then ask them to help decorate *smirk*
To be honest, when decorating my private spaces I still do it this way and the slight imperfections of alignment often add a tiny extra layer of realism especially for grunge, steampunk or shabby chic aesthetics...but for building and situations where things need to actually be straight and true, well...
‘I got better’.

@Argent Stonecutter, I switch between 2 AO and in the Firestorm AO window they show in a drop down so swapping them once they are set up just requires 4 clicks. I usually used to edit my AO anyway to swap in/out some animations so it’s just as fast to drag them into the built in AO to set up a new one as it is to drag them into a zhao. No notecards. The advantage is that I can also play single animations without cycling in an AO or digging them out individually from inventory.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #69 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
I don't get it. Granted, it's been a while and things may have changed but how is it more of a hassle to just switch out a notecard than it is to swap out an AO? Both take about the same amount of time.
I don't ever explicitly "swap out" the AO. It's just another attachment, it comes with the avatar when I wear the folder. Right click, wear, done. It's *always*, automatically, the right animation set, and I can't forget to swap it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve Aeon View Post
@Argent Stonecutter, I switch between 2 AO and in the Firestorm AO window they show in a drop down so swapping them once they are set up just requires 4 clicks.
That's four more clicks than I need, and I have >300 avatars of maybe 100 different species... so it would be way more than 4 clicks just to scroll through the drop-down.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #70 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
I don't ever explicitly "swap out" the AO. It's just another attachment, it comes with the avatar when I wear the folder. Right click, wear, done. It's *always*, automatically, the right animation set, and I can't forget to swap it.

That's four more clicks than I need, and I have >300 avatars of maybe 100 different species... so it would be way more than 4 clicks just to scroll through the drop-down.

YO! Beebs! Here's living proof for you of how important avatars are to their people!
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-08-2018, 03:27 AM   #71 (permalink)
I don't do stupid.

mean old man

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006-06-09
Business: My!
Client: Dolphin Viewer 3
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance Corrimal
Quote:
I have >300 avatars of maybe 100 different species...

ok, challenge: take a pic of each of them and put it somewhere.

it could even be a very useful ressource for others:

"Argent Stonecutters comprehensive field guide of non human SL avatars", with slurls and/or marketplace links
Old 07-08-2018, 03:36 AM   #72 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

I have run into a bunch of people with more avatars than me. Like they're all "300 avatars, oh my sweet summer child".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Corrimal View Post
ok, challenge: take a pic of each of them and put it somewhere.
AUGH nope. That would get me started unpacking the ones I haven't opened yet, probably only another fifty (guess) but I'd have to dress and accessorize them, and nobody has time for that.

There are a bunch on my Snapzilla though.

An awful lot of them aren't available anywhere any more.

Last edited by Argent Stonecutter; 07-08-2018 at 03:42 AM.
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #73 (permalink)
Tainted Tigar

I'm sawrry, but I dun' prey taht wai!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!

If ya haven’t opened the box yet, then it doesn’t count.

Given that tickling yourself does not work the same as someone else tickling you, we really lucked out with masturbation.
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #74 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie Swansong View Post
If ya haven’t opened the box yet, then it doesn’t count.
I'm not counting the ones I haven't opened, just saying that if I *did* start posting a catalog I'd have to pull them out too. Seriously, I have them organized by taxonomic groupings to keep track of them...

Old 07-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #75 (permalink)
Tainted Tigar

I'm sawrry, but I dun' prey taht wai!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!

No way I could do that. I can barely manage to put mai jeans in the right drawer!
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Agreed: