I know smaller image sizes are a good thing.... - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » I know smaller image sizes are a good thing....

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
SLERPee

strange but not a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
I know smaller image sizes are a good thing....

But what's with these 32*32 profile pics I'm seeing a lot of lately? Do these people have blurred personalities too?
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Man, even X-Face supported 48x48!

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline trudeau View Post
But what's with these 32*32 profile pics I'm seeing a lot of lately? Do these people have blurred personalities too?
No kidding. Its almost worse than no profile pic.

I have on more than one ocasion taken a snap shot and cropped it and given it to people to use as a prifile pic.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Well on official viewer profile pics are very tiny. And square.

Only some TPVs use the older profiles with a nice big profile picture.

if you upload a huge one, it will just look blury scaled down.

Official viewer heavily de-emphsizes profiles in general. They can take up to 10 seconds to load in just the text, and often dont even default to your bio tab unless you hid your feed.

Last edited by Adeon Writer; 05-14-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post

Official viewer heavily de-emphsizes profiles in general. They can take up to 10 seconds to load in just the text, and often dont even default to your bio tab unless you hid your feed.
Wow.

Thats rediculously stupid.

Also I can't even remember the last time I used the official viewer.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
Also I can't even remember the last time I used the official viewer.
Nothing wrong with that! Though it can be important to keep in mind just how different the experince can be; for example, official viewer users almost never will see your profile picks, or your group list, so don't let them be the only place to obtain vital information, like a marketplace link.

Last edited by Adeon Writer; 05-14-2018 at 12:41 PM.
1 User Said WTF?:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Old Cynic

*SLU Supporter*

Awards: 1
Special Achievemnt In Group Action 
Quote:
Official viewer heavily de-emphsizes profiles in general.
What? Why? Why would they do that? That's just crazy.

Erich Templar
Textures, prefabs, more textures....
http://www.templarcreations.com
Templar Creations Main Store (SLURL)
SL Marketplace Merchant Page
Erich Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Well they did it long ago... maybe the lack of outrage is because no one uses official anyway?
1 User Groaned:
Old 05-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

watching

SL Join Date: 27/10/2010
Client: Official (w/Starlight) & Catznip
Quote:
Nothing wrong with that! Though it can be important to keep in mind just how different the experince can be; for example, official viewer users almost never will see your profile picks, or your group list, so don't let them be the only place to obtain vital information, like a marketplace link.
Huh ????
When was the last time you actually used the official viewer ? 2010 ?

I really don't know why you said that, but thats complete and utter BS.

The only real disadvantage (for some at least) is that you only get the web-profiles. But all the info like Picks, pix and groups and such is there.

ETA: There is actually a way that the profile does NOT display Picks and/or Groups. But that is something the user itself chooses to by disable them in preferences.

“Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be.” - Frank Zappa

Last edited by Tris; 05-14-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: ETA
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Huh ????
When was the last time you actually used the official viewer ? 2010 ?
Yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
But all the info like Picks, pix and groups and such is there.
I never said they weren't accessable. I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer
official viewer users almost never will see your profile picks, or your group list
I probably should have been more clear: It's there, just out of the way, and a drag to browse to as web profiles are sllloow.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Templar View Post
I don't believe any of it was intentional. LL just does not put a lot of thought into these things.

When LL first announced the push to web profiles I seem to recall them saying that unloading profiles to the web would somehow improve performance. I also seem to recall them suggesting they'd be able to easily add new features to profiles going forward.

The big thing is, web profiles were originally called "Social Profiles", as they were making a big push to increase the usefulness of profiles in creating communities.

The Problems are twofold:

First, as Adeon points out, SL's web profiles load painfully slow...if at all. Frequently, l just get an error message.

Second, LL never actually finished the web profile features. They abandoned it while still early in development. Hell, they've actually removed some of the features web profiles initially launched with.

Remember when you could link a feed post to the land you were standing on, and then everyone who visited that location would be able to see all feed posts made there, like a shout board or message wall for the location? That was a neat feature! Disappeared like...a month or so after the "social" profiles launched.

And Adeon is spot on again, the reason no one is beating down LL's door to fix any of this is that most people use TPVs which still use the old style profiles.

Despite everyone who has ever said "complaining solves nothing", the truth is that nothing gets fixed unless people complain about it. No one is complaining about the atrocious state of profiles in the official viewer because so few people use the official viewer, so LL (who doesn't actually use their own product and so never experiences these problems for themselves) isn't aware that this is a problem they should be fixing.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Templar View Post
To get you to use Facebook instead.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Official, Various RCs, Marines,Firestorm - for testing stuff. BlackDragon - For everything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
To get you to use Facebook instead.
And get your FB account suspended for using a fake name, or expose the link between your SL and RL identities if you do it the way FB wants you to and create a "page" for your avatar, linked to your RL account, rather than creating a separate account to keep the data segregated.

Always assuming you haven't already closed your FB account over how they misuse personal data and are willing to give them even more of it, that is.
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
And get your FB account suspended for using a fake name, or expose the link between your SL and RL identities if you do it the way FB wants you to and create a "page" for your avatar, linked to your RL account, rather than creating a separate account to keep the data segregated.

Always assuming you haven't already closed your FB account over how they misuse personal data and are willing to give them even more of it, that is.
I always get a kick out of people saying Facebook suspends fake accounts because two of my cats (well, one of themdissapeared, presumed dead) have Facebook accounts and have for years.

The long gone cat has like 500 random friends too because I used to use it for games when Facebook had games.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I always get a kick out of people saying Facebook suspends fake accounts because two of my cats (well, one of themdissapeared, presumed dead) have Facebook accounts and have for years.
From my experience, Facebook doesn't care what you name yourself if they already have the dox on you. In your case, they know the real identity behind your alternate account for your cats, so they don't care.

Now, be good at not letting Facebook know who you really are, and they'll quickly shut you down.

I can't sign up for Facebook with my SL name. They demand an ID card in order to make an account with that name.

And I've never even been banned, nor have I ever owned a facebook account. I'm probably just on a list somewhere.
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-15-2018, 01:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Status symbol

Business: OPQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
When LL first announced the push to web profiles I seem to recall them saying that unloading profiles to the web would somehow improve performance. I also seem to recall them suggesting they'd be able to easily add new features to profiles going forward.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

The web profile should actually have been a huge improvement over the old system if it hadn't been so horrendously messed up.

Last edited by ChinRey; 05-17-2018 at 04:35 AM.
ChinRey is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-15-2018, 02:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Status symbol

Business: OPQ
Quote:
I can't sign up for Facebook with my SL name. They demand an ID card in order to make an account with that name.
The name may trigger some autmoatic filter. Jubjub has an interesting article here:
JubJubs Life: Facebook locked me out because of my name - FIXED!
ChinRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Well on official viewer profile pics are very tiny. And square.

Only some TPVs use the older profiles with a nice big profile picture.

if you upload a huge one, it will just look blury scaled down.

Which is strange. Use a game/whatever that does not use profiles at all and you will miss them right away.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Coin-operated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
Despite everyone who has ever said "complaining solves nothing", the truth is that nothing gets fixed unless people complain about it. No one is complaining about the atrocious state of profiles in the official viewer because so few people use the official viewer, so LL (who doesn't actually use their own product and so never experiences these problems for themselves) isn't aware that this is a problem they should be fixing.
Although I think this thread has in general devolved to TPV tinfoil hat loopiness, this part is exactly right, and a significant hurdle to retention because new residents start with the Linden viewer, but certainly aren't equipped to report what's wrong with it; meanwhile the rest of us either don't use it or have fallen into usage patterns that avoid the newbie-repellant problems.

In general I think the Linden viewer is less intimidating to new users than the sheer cliff of complexity posed by the most popular TPVs. In fact, I'd expect better retention with a further simplified, "training wheels" viewer for newbies (fully aware that a previous attempt failed). But unless LL is equipped to collect serious data on what real newbies experience in whatever viewer they actually use, it's never going to matter.

As to the 32x32 pixel profile pic resolution -- no doubt some folks actually do that to drive us crazy, but I have a vague recollection of also seeing this as a preliminary image as the profile loads. Anybody else encounter this?
Qie Niangao is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-15-2018, 06:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
From my experience, Facebook doesn't care what you name yourself if they already have the dox on you.
They have changed people's names to their "dox" name in a number of well publicized cases involving people trying to use a professional name or an alternate name, so I'm guessing you have just been lucky so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
And get your FB account suspended for using a fake name,
BTDT. And "Argent Stonecutter" is still locked.

But seriously that is what they were pushing, and pushing hard.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
I wish I was drunk

Quote:
From my experience, Facebook doesn't care what you name yourself if they already have the dox on you. In your case, they know the real identity behind your alternate account for your cats, so they don't care.

Now, be good at not letting Facebook know who you really are, and they'll quickly shut you down.

And I've never even been banned, nor have I ever owned a facebook account. I'm probably just on a list somewhere.
Remember when back in the 90's internet was at it's infancy but it was becoming more easily accessible to us as teenagers, they had PSAs or at least some kind of minimal coverage in classes telling us about internet etiquette about the importance of hiding your identity? Facebook is affront to all of that. And it's why to this day I still treat my online and offline persons as wholly separate. Buying shit online is literally the only exception where I've ever used my real name on the internet.

Anyway, regarding the OP question, I've noticed the same thing. But the weird thing is, it's not just avatar profiles but group pictures too. Although considering some of those groups, I've always just assumed LL were censoring the group profile pictures since you can't make a group adult only.
Tetsuryu Vlodovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Yeh, in the 90s I was all "loud and proud" about being the exception that didn't hide their identity. Then I got called on the carpet by my boss's boss's boss over a post that was basically a really geeky jab at an obscure technology, and that really changed my mind. We all contain multitudes, and we need to be able to keep them separate.
2 Users Agreed:
4 Users Like This:
Old 05-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Random Chat Bot

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 19, 2007
Business: SunBunny Creative
Client: Lite-Brite
Regarding the OP, I think this is a rendering issue actually. I've seen a bunch of 32x32 as well. If you click on the image it will bring up another window with a refresh button. When you click the refresh it will generally show the larger 512 image.
Summer Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
I wish I was drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Haas View Post
Regarding the OP, I think this is a rendering issue actually. I've seen a bunch of 32x32 as well. If you click on the image it will bring up another window with a refresh button. When you click the refresh it will generally show the larger 512 image.
I vaguely recall checking out some of those groups I mentioned earlier later and the pictures loaded fine then but I couldn't remember a specific instance, but this would definitely seem to be the case.
Tetsuryu Vlodovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
LL still makes a browser?
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed: