The return of last names (and 14 other things too) - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » The return of last names (and 14 other things too)

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rusty

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
The return of last names (and 14 other things too)

LL have just announced they're rolling out "15 exciting improvements and features" in 2018 to celebrate 15 years of SL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbe Linden
Can you believe it? Second Life turns 15 this year! To kick off our year-long birthday celebration, we’ve rounded up 15 exciting improvements and features that make Second Life better than ever in 2018 and beyond
One of those things is to bring back last names:

https://community.secondlife.com/blo...-to-celebrate/

There are a few other interesting things in there as well I think, including the before mentioned Bakes on Mesh and Environment Enhancements, plus a promise for more Premium perks and some Linden Home improvements.

Last edited by wesleytron; 03-21-2018 at 01:28 PM.
wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

SL Join Date: November 2006
Send a message via Skype™ to Chav Paderborn
"More Value for Premium Members - In the coming months, we’ll be announcing new features for Premium subscribers — including brand-new advantages that will add more value for Merchants, Creators and Landowners." -- lower upload fees? lower marketplace commission?
Chav Paderborn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 03-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Just another muppet

Eh.. mi mi mi mi mi?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
Cleaning up the clutter on the Marketplace?

Best idea in years!
Merchants no longer active still have their junk out there.

Last edited by Sid II; 03-21-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Lower tier and more premium land. Now that may tempt me to log back in.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

#tfa

SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Really hoping the EEP/Windlight update extends to mainland parcels.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rusty

My Mood:
Wait... does this mean I'll have to think of a last name now?
1 User Said Awww:
Old 03-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
C.M.O. GoatWench

*SLU Supporter*

Loving Life

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2004

Special Achievement In Hello Kitty Trolling 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsy Pendragon View Post
Really hoping the EEP/Windlight update extends to mainland parcels.
Rider said yes! https://community.secondlife.com/for...omment-1731022

bronxelf: "Day is young. Patience, weedwhacker."

Pancake: "I'm not a Princess, I don't need saving. I'm a Queen, and I got this shit handled."
Alexa Lioncourt is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
So donwe know what all these updates are or do we get to speculate.

Probably never going to happen but I would love if head and body shapes were seperate bits.

Also fix sim crossings.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Feted Inner Child

Whee!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 22nd Feb., 2006
Client: Official Viewer
Send a message via Skype™ to Marianne McCann
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleytron View Post
One of those things is to bring back last names
Good.

Bringing them back now is a good thing. I hope it's being brought back with an understanding why they mattered in the first place, and not simply because people yelled so loudly, and for so long.

To me, things like last names were part of the fun, quirky side of Second Life back in the pre-M Linden era. They were part of made the world unique and special. That they were lost felt lackluster, and dare I say "corporate."

I'm not gonna say that losing last names directly led to some of the malaise some feel towards Second Life, but I think it's a good touchstone for a moment in time where Second Life was in flux, and may have lost its way, way-back-when.

Color me happy about this. Now, about the holiday-centric suns and moons...
Marianne McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

I'd like to see clothes with just different colors to be consolidated as a single marketplace entry, and sellers not doing this as reportable for marketplace spam (otherwise it becomes a tragedy of the commons situation).

I also wouldn't expect upload costs to be lowered. That makes it too easy to grief the asset server and network bandwidth, particularly if it goes to 0 or 1L. Maybe a metered service with different pricing bands.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Image is Everything

Je suis slogan

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/29/2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soen Eber View Post
I'd like to see clothes with just different colors to be consolidated as a single marketplace entry, and sellers not doing this as reportable for marketplace spam (otherwise it becomes a tragedy of the commons situation).
Given how bad the marketplace transition was in the beginning I just wrote this kind of stuff off as a lost cause. It is much needed though.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Image is Everything

Je suis slogan

My Mood:

aac+ for audio streams would be nice too. mp3 is rather dated, it has its uses still but it's like the jpeg of audio. Increasingly I see more stations abandoning it entirely.

eta: if Sansar is going to be any kind of haven for musicians like SL, they'll need to implement it anyways. mp3 remaining as the standard doesn't have 10 years in it, I'd be a bit surprised at 5

Last edited by Evola; 03-21-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Evola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Random Chat Bot

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 19, 2007
Business: SunBunny Creative
Client: Lite-Brite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chav Paderborn View Post
"More Value for Premium Members - In the coming months, we’ll be announcing new features for Premium subscribers — including brand-new advantages that will add more value for Merchants, Creators and Landowners." -- lower upload fees? lower marketplace commission?
Quite the opposite:
"In the coming months some other fees may increase, including Marketplace commissions, Linden Dollar exchange fees, and cashout fees."
Summer Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Just another muppet

Eh.. mi mi mi mi mi?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
So the merchants are going to pay for the lost in revenues in the land business?
Good luck with that LL.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soen Eber View Post

I also wouldn't expect upload costs to be lowered. That makes it too easy to grief the asset server and network bandwidth, particularly if it goes to 0 or 1L. Maybe a metered service with different pricing bands.
I was thinking maybe 10 free uploads a week, with no roll over, for premium users.

I mean you can use local textures to test but its a pain with appliers and I don't know thebdetails of this magic baked textures thing, but it might require more uploads for testing

Here is another idea. Gif/MP4 support. For animated textures on prims.
2 Users Like This:
Old 03-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rusty

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
So the merchants are going to pay for the lost in revenues in the land business?
Or the customer is, with a levy at the point of purchase.

Quote:
Good luck with that LL.
They do seem to approaching things cautiously:
"In order to avoid shocks to the in-world economy and to take care that we keep the business healthy, we plan to make these changes in a measured way, taking time to assess the impacts of each change as we go."
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Assessing the impacts is good but are they going to act on the negative ones and do something constructive about them or will they repeat past performances?

That is my question.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Image is Everything

Je suis slogan

My Mood:

I'm pretty certain premium/tier isn't paying the bills like it used to, or LL wouldn't be cutting back on support staff hours and such. Revenue has to come from somewhere. SL has changed quite a lot since early years, many are still making quite a nice sum of money on creations, a handful making more $$ than some of LL's own staff themselves. Realistically merchant and transaction fees will go up to reflect that, after a certain amount of time I figure it's that or SL folds. I'm not a fan of fee increases but arguably it could have been done long ago and LL/SL both would have been better for it.

I haven't logged in to beta grid in years, when I was new it was a nice way to test textures though, prior to temp uploads. I wonder if it would be better for things like appliers
Evola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Val
n00b!1

Sole member and president of 'Coffee Addicts' club

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006
Business: Instant Disappointment
Client: black dragon, alchemy, firestorm, singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Val
I left SL in the period they axed last names and I still remember wistful thinking that that it might be just for a newbie period of time. Used to be fun to run across people with funny and creative name mixes plus internally high fiveing anyone with your last name. Not sure if they are just going to not make the Resident bit whatever user types or a list as it was (would be the fun bit). They do seem to be gravitating back to user functions as compared to business ones (well, what I mean is that it appeared to me back when that business was extention of individual not the user was solely because of business).

UK had increased VAT for quite some time and not sure if they are going to even them out or increase everyone. Marketplace fee depends on the nature of one's shop really and I cannot say I am selling anything to have opinion (but might shortly).

Animesh is the one I mostly look towards as it hopefully will make things better performance and creation wise. Me and partner were just talking about making a sentient (well, animated) tree and in current system it would be awful to develop. I do my own appliers but it certainly confused me massively when I first needed to and took a week to learn - still is trial and error. Might poke people to do more uniform maps as I loathe when I have to chop up a skin to match a very odd one (1st Act is worst offender and never ever been able to work their scalps and necks neither can my husband but their heads tend to be decent).
Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evola View Post

I haven't logged in to beta grid in years, when I was new it was a nice way to test textures though, prior to temp uploads. I wonder if it would be better for things like appliers
I don't make a lot of apploers, but in my build box I have a prim with a script that will give the UUID of a local temp texture, that I can then test using an applier.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Business: Solace Beach Estates
I’m happy about most of these changes. I would like to see region owners get some additional benefits, as I said in the other thread, but I love the idea of last names coming back. And frankly, it’s about time they increase merchant fees. Especially for selling on the Marketplace. But I would like to see some kind of option where their fees are reduced if they have an in world store. Right now there is no advantage to having a store and it has shrunk the land market considerably. They have to be careful not to raise fees too much though, otherwise people will get creative and figure out how to sell things through PayPal etc.

What I would like to see most, but it doesn’t seem to be on the radar, is a fee for listing events, especially more than a certain number. Right now certain venues schedule events that are not really events all day long. You can’t schedule more than five per day with a single avatar, but you can use multiple avatars. How about adding a listing fee and limiting the number of events per parcel, or starting with a limit and then increasing it upon review like they do with buying and selling L$. Like every parcel gets one free event, maximum four hours length per week, and anything above that costs 100 L per listing. And you get a maximum of four listings per week until your events are reviewed to make sure they're legit. I will admit I overused the events system when I had a gaming place, but it was the only way to get seen after LL rolled out the changes. And it WORKED. Imagine how much better SL would be if all the trash event listings were demoted and featured events took you to live music, art galleries, clubs with real people, building classes, intro to roleplay techniques etc.

I'd also like to see some type of reward or incentive for hosting live music, theater, and other cultural events that charge an admission fee. I love live music in SL but the economics of it is broken because venue owners can’t charge admission. No one will pay. It ends up that musicians get most of the tips and they charge a fee to the venue on top of that. So if you want to have live music events, you have to spend a huge amount out of your own pocket. Perhaps require an admission fee for events to be featured on the main web search page, and limit the categories to exclude sales and "Best in Red" type contests. We need to change the culture around paying for entertainment in SL.
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-22-2018, 02:23 AM   #23 (permalink)

SL Join Date: November 2006
Send a message via Skype™ to Chav Paderborn
I don't want them to take more of the tiny amount of spacemoney I make from the MP
Chav Paderborn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-22-2018, 02:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
Grid-wide experience scripts stands out for me as most interesting - Gonna have fun with that (if it really is free with premium.)
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 03-22-2018, 07:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
If we are doing fees, wjat about some fee for selling land. And it alides up the longer the land is for sale to help deincintivize 10+L$/m for infinity or people using land sales as a glorified advertising tool for rental properties.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:

Tags
improvements , last names , premium