"Growing out" of your registered name? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » "Growing out" of your registered name?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2004
Client: Firestorm, v3
"Growing out" of your registered name?

I got this name in 2004. Feel like the person I was then and am now are two different people. Can anyone sort of relate? But then you're letting go of an identity if you change the name. Even your old blog is penned under the same name. :/ Thoughts, please?
Old 12-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

needs to edit profile/pics

SL Join Date: Sept 2006 (but not active till 2008)
Business: someday, someday ...

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
I forget whhat we call the account name and what we call the name we can change. Account name and username?

If you want to be known by a new name but don't want to discard your old self entirely, why not keep your account but create and use a new user name.

I've come across many old-bies who currently use a new username but still keep their same "historic" account name
Robert Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 12-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

SL Join Date: November 2006
Send a message via Skype™ to Chav Paderborn
Display Name?
Chav Paderborn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Curiouser and Curiouser

*SLU Supporter*

Following the White Rabbit

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/3/2006 (rejoin 7/16/2009)
Business: TD Creations
Client: Firestorm

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
For me, it is sort of the other way around. I've grown into my name, not out of it. I am Trasee Darkwatch, and if anything changes, it is me changing and becoming more true to myself.

As others have stated, changing your Display Name is certainly a way to grow into a second name.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimue Galatea View Post
I got this name in 2004. Feel like the person I was then and am now are two different people. Can anyone sort of relate? But then you're letting go of an identity if you change the name. Even your old blog is penned under the same name. :/ Thoughts, please?
Well, I'm definitely not the same person in RL that I was in 2004 either; but I am still (Dakota Tebaldi's RL name).
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
I am pretty sure this is my name IRL.

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/22/2006
Business: Organica

Send a message via Skype™ to Aki Shichiroji
Back when I chose my name, I was in the middle of art school, not terribly woke. I was a fan of anime as a medium, but by then sorta moving away from it since reading subs didn't mesh well with getting work done. I think, as a Canadian-Asian growing up in a part of Canada that had very little in the way of Asian culture at all (let alone Chinese), latching on to anime and manga, which was just starting to really gain mainstream popularity at the time, was something I stepped in to as a supplement to my own culture.

There weren't many names on the list in 2006, and back then they would only keep a handful and cycle them out every few months. When I saw the Shichiroji last name, it was basically the only asian last name available, so I went with it and picked a culturally appropriate first name to match (This is not intended to be an excuse - it's just how my name came around).

I have always been upfront about my RL identity. It's in my profile, it's in my signature here (when I use it). My personality isn't really any different and given that I still work full time here, the line between the digital and tangible is little more than that - a line. I also try to be as transparent about my cultural identity as possible.

That said, over the intervening years, I've grown to feel ambivalent and unsettled.

The use of this pseudonym brings with it (to some extent) the baggage of appropriation.

Every now and then I will be IMed directly in Japanese (even though nothing in my profile hints at any proficiency) and I am always upfront that, despite the name, I don't speak or write Japanese, nor do i claim to be such.

I have been 'Aki Shichiroji' in SL for just over 11 years now. I have made friends, met coworkers and clients, created memories and content almost every day since I joined in July of '06.

It is hard to reconcile the me of then with the me of now, but ultimately they are the same person.

Could I use a display name? Perhaps. I still take issue with how the viewer implements display names (as well as how individuals choose to view them), as this still causes complications in group or local chat situations. Other than changing my display name to my RL name I don't know what I would necessarily change it to, though. Despite being a pretty transparent person in SL, I don't necessarily want to wear my FL name over my SL head 24/7 (that sorta belies the point of this being 'Second Life').

Aki Shichiroji is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
I am pretty sure this is my name IRL.
Wait... You mean Katheryne Helendale isn't my actual name???

I'll be right back. I have an order of blank checks and address labels to cancel...

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
I wanted Demonista when i signed in. Didn't get it. Went with Anatra instead. It was just ducky.

I've often felt a lot like Daffy, so why not?

It still fits.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
冬眠中

*SLU Supporter*

ekumental

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

In Queso Emergency 
I was not thinking that much when I joined.
All me n yure wanted to do was get into SL quickly.
eku is sort of my rl nickname or part of it.. Zhong rhymed with bong..
Some ppl call me eku in RL too so ..
I have to sometimes think what my rl (first) name really is and sometimes find it jarring when ppl call me by it.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
I am fine with the Ramen part, but I really hate the Jedburgh part. All my stuff is here though.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2

I'm Free. So there's that. Xue was just too short to pass on. In some small ways, I may have actually grown into this version of my name more so than my real or legal one.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Curious

SL Join Date: 11/28/2008
Client: Generally Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by eku Zhong View Post
I was not thinking that much when I joined.
All me n yure wanted to do was get into SL quickly.
eku is sort of my rl nickname or part of it.. Zhong rhymed with bong..
Some ppl call me eku in RL too so ..
I have to sometimes think what my rl (first) name really is and sometimes find it jarring when ppl call me by it.
funny you should say this - was thinking today of how much more i like my sl name than my rl name.

i did get to choose my sl name of course - and while i didnt think much beyond something short and vaguely nice - ive really grown into it. unlike my rl name which to my mind will always be a combo of 2 german words meaning "yucky".

ugh.

Last edited by Emma Krokus; 12-17-2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: made it readable :D
Emma Krokus is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 12-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ancient Blue Elf

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/13/2006
Client: Firestorm on Linux
Although I have been in SL since 2006, I have been a named form of "Spider" since 1997 when I first went online. Originally it was actually "TheSpider" for a telnet based group named The Belfry.
When I joined SL, I liked the surname of "Spinotti" as it went well with Spider, and well... spiders spin webs. Didn't know at the time it was an Italian name.
The name still fits after all these years.
Scotsman in Kentucky
Solus Linux User
Spider Spinotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

I would change my RL name to Chav Paderborn but then I remember that people would make fun of the chav part. Oh well.
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 12-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

My Mood:

I was quite grumpy at the time... (<.<)

Still, I owned it and not letting go any time soon. (^_^)
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Han Held doesn't have that much to do with who I am or how I see myself. At the same time, more of my real-life self has come through (particularly here and on G+) and sometimes it feels as though the SL/OS persona gets in my way.

Other times, such as when arguing with stalkers and freaks, I'm very glad for that distance.

So, for me, it's a mixed bag.

I think if I felt really strongly about it I probably would have switched to my rl name or at least my rl nick-name.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
aka Gem

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer
eighthdwarf (or rather eighthdwarf2002) has been my handle since late 2001 when I got active on English-speaking message boards and on yahoo. And the lastname Checchinato - well, I chose that because of its sound.

And even though I also went by "Gem" from May 06, '08 until May 13, '17 (first via titler, then by display name), and by a few other display names from then on - eighthdwarf has always been "me".
Old 12-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Usually my internets name isn't Chav, which I for some reason picked when I signed up to SL. These days I occasionally use it or a variation some places, but overall I'm glad that people who know my SL name can't automatically find my homoerotic Dr Who fanfic.
1 User Said Awww:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
If you are not happy with your name, change it. People will adapt quickly and it’s not important to anyone except you. Go by the name you want. Go by “New Name (previously known as Old Name)” for a month or two if you want to ease other people into it.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Oddly, Beth came about because i wanted to try a journey through SL blog and the idea of a name that had AZ as initials amused me. Aribeth was me trying to use an elf name I'd used in a Forgotten Realms game, but I accidently got it crossed with an NPC's name instead.

Then, it got shortened to Beth because there was already someone called 'Ari' in the rp sim I played in years ago.

But if you want to make the name something for yourself that you like better... go for it.

PS, my oldest account does have the same first name I use in RL, and as close to the last name I chose for myself back in 2004 as I could get.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
My first name's one I took for myself back around 1991 or so, not too long after discovering furrydom, so it's been one of my names (IRL and in-world) for a while now. The surname was fairly random - the selection available at the time didn't really appeal all that much, but "Ree" seemed to work okay. And I share it with Zii Ree, who seems like a pretty cool sort. ^_^

I'm with those who've really settled into their SL name. Indeed, in the next couple days, I'll need to decide what name to have included on the David Bowie statue's plaque, and I'm leaning this way, as it's unlikely to be changing, whereas my RL one.. =:)
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 12-18-2017, 02:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
Peace Love Dove

I'm jelous of everyone old enough to have a proper name

edit ... hmmm - could proper name accounts be sold on say on ebay and would that be legal ?
Old 12-18-2017, 03:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
aka Gem

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkdinkerson View Post
hmmm - could proper name accounts be sold on say on ebay [...]
Yes they *could*
Quote:
[...] and would that be legal ?
Well..., at least it would be against the LL ToS, and could earn you an immediate ban, afaik
eighthdwarf Checchinato is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-18-2017, 04:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Business: Solace Beach Estates
I have used Ayesha as an online name since 1996. It’s from the novel “She" by H. Rider Haggard which I read as a freshman in college. I still love the name, and will answer to it in RL. I am not attached to Lytton as a last name at all; in fact I dislike it. I have registered on a few other grids and I am always Ayesha Solace.

I think the naming system is one of SL‘s biggest mistakes… Both how they designed it in the first place and their messed up attempt at fixing it. They should’ve just made it so you could choose your first and last name. That would let people like my friend who is a singer use their real names, while others could just make up a name. Display names are awful because they allow so many strange characters and people decide to turn their name into something unrecognizable.

You are not supposed to resell accounts, however it happens. I took a chance and bought one several years ago from an acquaintance. I honestly expected to get cheated, but I wanted another last name account so badly I was willing to risk the 20 bucks. I don’t use the account much these days, but was glad I had it at the time. Again, if they just let people register accounts with last names and/or arranged a secure account transfer system like they do with regions, this would not be a problem.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This: