Hostile Takeover of OpenCollar Group - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Hostile Takeover of OpenCollar Group

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Scanned

Hostile Takeover of OpenCollar Group

I'm sure there will be disagreement over the good or bad and right or wrong over this including what I post because it will be mixed with facts and accounting of events as I understand it. I do think it is important for those who use these products.
Most of you might not care, but the OpenCollar group is the largest in SL. There are other related groups, but this is the main one, and is recognized as 'official' for supporting a product thousands have and still use.

Athaliah Opus is the founder of this group (along with Nandana Singh). The original product is older than my time in SL and a good many contributed to its development since inception. A good number of commercial collars have come along (and some no longer developed) but this is the famous one that most have used because of its free price and open source scripts.

For the last six years, Wendy Starfall and Garvin Twine were the only two mostly full-time developers. Through the loss of the web database, the original Github repository, resource hogging reputation, endless demand for support, and griefer antics of impersonating names and counterfeit products for which they've had to defend themselves to LL, they maintained the product, free for everyone. They did have help from others at different times for things such as land for inworld vendors and miscellaneous script and content creator contributions; I don't intend to downplay their work by not naming them all; some will be known by others in here.

There were some major events in the last couple of years that have been controversial. One was the creation of Virtual Disgrace, a small line of premium products (stricter collar, gag, and I think 2 or 3 add ons for OC) by Wendy (and Otto I believe), with its funds used primarily to support land and various artists contributing to OpenCollar. OpenCollar itself was still created and maintained free of charge for everyone, and nobody was required to purchase anything. In fact, the other major series of events was a complete rewrite of the codebase using modern script functions and creating new mesh collars. After a short-lived period of a new v4, they had progressed into a v5 which never saw release before it was optimized into what is now OpenCollar Six. Eva Ryan joined the team during this time.

A number of people were outraged that the same people maintaining OpenCollar had the nerve to create a premium product. It didn't matter that miscellaneous creators and fly-by-night sellers did the same thing on Marketplace using OC scripts. They sometimes sold no mod products, making updates impossible for the users that would come to OC chat demanding support. There were even cases of selling products with OC scripts no mod, in direct violation of the licensing. While some might support their own products, some would not. It also didn't seem to matter that the income primarily supported an inworld presence for OpenCollar users and its product and contributors rather than barely surviving or not from user and creator donations.

Another (somewhat related) outrage emerged from the latest versions not necessarily functioning exactly the same as the older ones. I was given examples - a chat spy app being a premium product (an entire 100 Lindens), instead of built in for free; having to edit a notecard to remove runaway ability instead of buttons from the menu. Again, things that don't seem to matter - the daily accusations of violating TOS for the chat spy used to be a thing, especially considering new users were easily talked into a collar, and now the wearer has to specifically add it in. For 40 cents. You always had to edit a notecard to assign a permanent owner. I think the runaway remove might be typing 10 whole letters on a notecard in contents now. I called these somewhat related because heartcore has an automatic runaway removed when locked. A completely different function, but enough to make claims that OpenCollar has been monetized instead of free. OpenCollar Six vendors meanwhile, still distribute them freely.

It also seems SL has a permissions system problem. (Who knew?) Users complained about and were clumsily forced to rez a collar on the ground to update them, when they should have been able to be kept locked. This happens because of its full perm attribute. At first this was changed by making the new collars no-trans. For latest versions this was changed to no copy, because forced collar roleplay can often involve being able to pass someone a collar, and new ones are free anyway. Between this headache, an attempt to check permissions during update and fail if needed, and a need to keep the premium product with opposite perms (copy) and not letting them be mixed up, there has been some random failures blamed on 'malicious code' because there was a check for creators. There seems to me every reason for this to be proper because one product is premium and should have creators known, and the code is still open source. Even the premium product evidently has source for its separately written script (not OpenCollar derived) published on Github, but with Apache license instead of GPL. It uses some OC scripts which are modifiable in the product.

You have a long story and now for the title. It seems there was a sudden return and 'righting' by the original OpenCollar group founders who submitted a ticket to LL and had the other group owners removed. I believe by now, Wendy, Garvin and Eva, along with anyone who doesn't approve of the change has now been banned from the group with their latest update being advised to avoid because they are ex-developers with malicious intentions.

Realize that the latest product released is not simply OpenCollar, but specifically OpenCollar Six. The OpenCollar group, with little emblems hinting that submissives might not always be female now removed from group insignia, claim they are the only 'official support' and will have a product as soon as possible but don't have one yet.

There is still a region supported by Virtual Disgrace for socializing, vendors for both Virtual Disgrace products and 100% free, open source OpenCollar Six products and updates. Anyone can join a group that they already had created (Flower Fire), and although the locked up OpenCollar Six group was decided unnecessary a year or 2 ago, I wouldn't rule out it opening up soon.

I am guessing there is now going to be a fork in the project. Pick your version of Linux, most likely, but I don't see what else can happen with an open source split like this. I suppose there might also be a storm in response by those who believe founders that have been absent, basically abandoning the project as per contributing in any way, for the LAST SIX YEARS are justified in trying to throw away the only ones who dedicated that time maintaining and then creating a modern product out of one that was dying.

America might miss this until holiday is over, but may as well let it sit here and steam. I hear there is version coming on Tonya Souther's blog also, but I'm sure she's more concerned about the coup than having been banned.
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Socially Unpronouncable

Just like the real thing - Only better.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 6, 2006
Client: Firestorm
I am the Eva Ryan mentioned above. And, the above text is essentially correct, with minor detailed flaws. I've been with OpenCollar for over 3 years, off and on, as moderator/community liaison. I will say that Wendy Starfall and Garvin Twine are two of the best scripters ever in SecondLife. They basically took a cobbled up set of open sourced scripts that suffered terrible performance and prone to errors, and turned it into a sleek, well oiled machine that set the standard for scripting.

The hostile takeover by Athaliah Opus and Nandana Singh (nirea) was nothing more than an invasion. They abandoned the project over 6 years ago... handed it over to Wendy. Nothing was heard from them in the intervening time. They flew the banner of "Open Source" and yet, OpenCollar has always been open source, and can be reviewed on the VirtualDisgrace's GitHub repository for audit.

I could go on and on and on about this, and yes I'm butthurt about it. However, one thing that burns me this was a sneak attack in the middle of the night. Athaliah Opus submitted a ticket to LL to have Wendy and Garvin Twine removed as owners of the OpenCollar group, which has over 100,000 member. Athaliah and nirea then planted their flag, claiming that only they are the "official" OpenCollar... which is kinda dumb, since no one "owns" OpenCollar.

What the two of them don't realize is the effect of Loyalty. Even now, Wendy and Garvin (who happens to go by Otto, and I'll use that moniker for him) has since released another update. They also maintain the Temple of the Collar, for an inworld presence, as well as a place for like minded people to mingle and get to know each other. The other side of the coin is that the "official" OpenCollar is playing catch-up. Trawling through the code trying to make heads or tails of it, even suggesting that shoving all scripts into one prim "like it used to be" would be best.

All this is documented on the GitHub... just Search for OpenCollar there.

All that said, I have been Wendy's friend for several years, and my loyalties are with her and Otto.

I'd post links; but, I'm not sure if that's against the rules or not... and it might be construed as spam in an already drama filled weekend.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/21/2004
Business: Archaic
I'm still at "Cobra with a toothache" level of pissed about events, but I'll try to keep myself polite and on message.

Eva and bcBrian have a pretty good summery up above. What I'm going to add is a security caution. The most recent OC patch is 6.7, and came out last night due to a frankly heroic push by Otto and Wendy. This patch addresses some security concerns as well as the usual feature updates and bug fixes. Please be sure to use this patch at your earliest convenience. It can be acquired at the usual in world locations, and from the marketplace links.

View any patch NOT created by Otto and Wendy with a great deal of caution, as well as any so called official notice coming from the stolen group. The current group you can trust is "Fire Flower", and of course the distribution locations of the last several years.

EDIT: And since I was just banned from the group for mentioning said patch, you might want to be extra special careful with anything the group thieves try to put out.

Last edited by Grey Mars; 11-23-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Additional info
Grey Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I never abandoned the project. I *entrusted* Wendy with certain powers, with the understanding that I would still be around to approve big decisions and that the project would stay true to its non profit roots. I think it strayed from those roots though, so we're putting it back on track.

Anyone interested in the rest of the story can read the text of the notice sent two days ago, archived here: https://github.com/OpenCollarTeam/Op..._stands_for.md
nirea is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
3 Users Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
No, the project did not stray from its nonprofit roots. Yes, it sold some items for a few Lindens each...and spent over US$300 a month for a sim. (Paid from Europe, so VAT.) Anyone who thinks that the project took in enough to turn a profit after that outlay, as well as infrastructure charges for websites and the like, is living in a dream world.

But don't object in the OpenCollar group inworld. If you don't toe the exact line put forth by Nirea and Athalia and Executer Magic, you get banned.

Me, I'm sticking with the folks who put in their time and effort and money to keep OpenCollar alive after Nirea and Athalia and Executer left it to languish for years. As far as I'm concerned, they're the rightful owners. They picked up something that had been abandoned and breathed new life into it.
Tonya Souther is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Hugged You:
1 User Disagreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 11-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirea View Post
I never abandoned the project. I *entrusted* Wendy with certain powers, with the understanding that I would still be around to approve big decisions and that the project would stay true to its non profit roots. I think it strayed from those roots though, so we're putting it back on track.

Anyone interested in the rest of the story can read the text of the notice sent two days ago, archived here: https://github.com/OpenCollarTeam/Op..._stands_for.md
I have tried an opencollar one time, and that was enough. In my opinion, collars rank right up there with prim babies and bling as some of the dumbest ideas imagined, but too each his own and clearly, a lot of people enjoy them.

Just from what I have read, including the article you posted, sounds like you forgot to "still be around" for about....oh six fucking years dude. To an outsider, it sounds like someone took a project that had been left in the dust, cleaned it up and modernized it and discovered a way to recover a small amount of funding while keeping the item open source. They apparently did such a damn good job of it that the original group owners, who have apparently been in cryostasis for six years heard some change hitting the floor and swooped in to "make things right". It sounds like this Wendy and Otto are getting Teslad (Tesla taking Edison's idea and improving on it and then having Edison try to crush him.)

One thing I know as a consumer, if Tonya Souther says something is the goods, then it is the goods.

Last edited by Soda Sullivan; 11-23-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Disagreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
One thing I know as a consumer, if Tonya Souther says something is the goods, then it is the goods.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Disagreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/21/2004
Business: Archaic
Quote:

No, you vanished for years. You may have some fantasy that all the labor of six years was done under your guiding hand by loyal minions, but you left. You have not been involved at all for all that time. You abandoned the project (as anyone working anywhere near the project can tell you) and life went on without you. Let me repeat this point: Life went on without you.

Now you are apparently bored, so you come back in and attempt to claim the work of a community for more than half a decade as your own. You have removed the entire development staff and most of the helpers from the channel you stole through backhanded means in the middle of the night.

There is no version of the actual truth where you do not sound like a badly created Disney villain. Meanwhile your minions continue harassment, defamation, spreading false information to the community. And this is before you roll who knows what into the code base you've already stated you want to butcher.

Fork your code way back in the 3.x line and call yourself OC Classic. That's the only moral and ethical path for the hostile takeover you initiated in order to achieve whatever this 'vision' of yours is.
Grey Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Disagreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 11-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Let me tell you about hate.

SL Join Date: June 04, 2004
Quote:

You stepped down for 6 years from an opensource project and expect to get your seat back at the helm while you not only entrusted others with maintaining the project but haven't contributed a line of code in all this time?

It stopped being your property the day you decided to make it opensource. I could argue that Wendy and Otto don't own it anymore than you do, but you are falling behind very quickly when it comes to code contributions so your opinion on the matter is very relative.

Can you say "entitled egomaniac"?
Kyrah Abattoir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Disagreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 11-23-2017, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Quietly watching

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/24/2007
Client: PoundLife
Quote:
The mature thing would have been to have a calm discussion with the people who made the project everything it is today, one where you could voice your concerns, and explain your interest in being part of its development again. Both sides hear each other out, and can form a well informed solution. This is what adults do.

What it sounds like you did, on the other hand, is what they call a dick move. The project is open source and community driven, there is no need for an "us or them" mentality here, and it seems to have existed perfectly fine up until now without incident. Communication and understanding are key, not acting out of impulse without a word.

Mistakes are made when people act without thinking, but you can still come out of this without looking like a greedy child. One bad moment can be looked over in the long term if you work to resolve the issue, but if you never attempt to do so then your name is forever tarnished.
Vaelissa Cortes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 11-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Socially Unpronouncable

My Mood:
Nirea and Athaliah are American, as well as I am. The difference seems to be that they seem to have fallen into the Trump mentality of doing business. Do a hostile takeover, trash the previous developers, label dissenters as losers, ban anyone that isn't inline with what their "philosophy" is. Label themselves as the only "Official" project.

They and their moderators viciously ban anyone from the 100K group that questions them, and post propaganda like it was a Trump campaign rally. They trash talked, and allowed everyone else to trash talk in OpenCollar group; but, dissenting voices are immediately muted or ejected. Draconian/Authoritarian methods to say the least.

I still await for the ban to lift and an invitation to the OpenCollar group just to see how Open they really are, but, it's doubtful. I can be civil; but, trash talking and personal attack on myself or Wendy and Otto, I will verbally defend.
Eva Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 11-23-2017, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Oh hey, old time SL drama.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Mood:

Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Ryan View Post
...Trump...
I think Godwin's Law is due for revision... (>.>)
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Socially Unpronouncable

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotgoing Sideways View Post
I think Godwin's Law is due for revision... (>.>)
I didn't want to invoke Godwin into the mix... I could though.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

For those who might be wondering, I'm a co-founder of OpenCollar (I was on Nandana Singh at the time). I've been on nirea for a while though, including with an owner role in OpenCollar.

Wendy sent a notice resigning from OpenCollar at the end of October. That's what set this all in motion. I IMed her immediately to see what was going on. She said "I have achieved all my goals." She then logged off mid conversation.

Then a day or two later I see a notice from VirtualDisgrace Resident saying that Otto was going to be project lead. This was confusing because I had always thought VirtualDisgrace was Wendy's alt, but the notice was referring to Wendy in the third person like VirtualDisgrace was someone else. So I decided to talk to that person. I IMed VirtualDisgrace to talk about my concerns over having Otto lead the project:

[2017/11/01 22:38] nirea: Hi there, I saw Wendy's departure notice last night, and then was surprised to see your two notices today. I was under the impression that you were wendy's alt!
[2017/11/01 22:38] Second Life: User not online - message will be stored and delivered later.
[2017/11/01 22:39] nirea: I'd like to talk sometime about opencollar governance. I want to make sure there's a system in place to keep OC committed to the values of openness, creativity, and community that athy and I founded it on
[2017/11/01 22:39] Second Life: User not online - message will be stored and delivered later.
[2017/11/01 22:42] nirea: Hoping you don't mind me sending a friend invite so we can catch each other online more easily
[2017/11/01 22:42] Second Life: User not online - message will be stored and delivered later.
[2017/11/01 22:42] Second Life: You have offered friendship to VirtualDisgrace

I never received a reply to that IM or friendship offer.

Also confusingly, I saw at least one notice that was sent by VirtualDisgrace but signed "Otto" at the end. Apparently he sometimes logs in on VirtualDisgrace as well.

In recent days I have received confirmations from numerous people who were close to Wendy when she created VirtualDisgrace that it is indeed her doing the typing when VirtualDisgrace is speaking. This despite the fact that VirtualDisgrace insists in group chat that she/he is a different person.

Would it have been nice to resolve all this with less drama? Absolutely. But my attempts to do that went unanswered.

It's taken some time between Wendy's resignation and now for these events to play out. First I was waiting for VirtualDisgrace's response. Then when that didn't come, Athy and I took some time to discuss the next steps. Once those were decided, it took some time for LL to act. Wendy announced her return a day or two before LL made the ownership change, but I don't think that changes anything.

As founders of the project, Athy and I absolutely have the right to step in and steer when we see major incidents like Wendy's resignation. And we absolutely have the right to declare which OpenCollar releases are official. If VirtualDisgrace wants to make releases, they need to call them something else (and not "OpenCollar Six". That's a version number).

Eva, you don't have to agree about us having that right to declare what's official, but the OpenCollar group is not the place to make that case. If you'll stop doing that in group chat you're welcome to come back.

Kyrah, I did not step down for 6 years. I have been in regular touch with Wendy advising on issues. That changed after the events last year when I inquired about finances and found myself locked out of OpenCollar Organiser, as discussed in my note. I probably should have intervened more directly then, but gave her the benefit of the doubt. After her resignation, however, both Athy and I decided that intervention was necessary.

Last edited by nirea; 11-24-2017 at 12:33 AM.
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Said WTF?:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 11-24-2017, 12:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Socially Unpronouncable

My Mood:
@ Nirea, if you stop declaring that the OpenCollar group is the only "official" channel, I'll stop having to contradict you in the group. Liberally using the banhammer for dissenting opinions just puts you in a unpleasing light.

As for your claim not abandoning the project several years ago, I think this picture tells it all.

* From your own contributions page: https://github.com/OpenCollarTeam/Op...s/contributors

and to everyone else.. I apologize for the drama.
2 Users Laughed:
Old 11-24-2017, 01:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Changing from a coding role to a governing/advising one is not abandonment.

I found the text of Wendy's resignation notice:

Group Notice From: OpenCollar, Wendy Starfall

I'm concluding my service to the OpenCollar community with e050e642d09f8dc5d2e59b30e0c14fb1fa7274b3

That's what leaving the project looks like. (It took us a minute, but in chat we figured out she was referring to a specific Github commit.) And you won't find me ever making any such statement.
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 11-24-2017, 01:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

Scanned

Regarding who uses the VirtualDisgrace account, it has also been said before that more than one person sometimes will log in with it for various reasons, but it is does represent that product line. Who is logged in at any time with it doesn't really matter to anyone else, especially in here.

As for alarm bells that Wendy was quitting the project?
You claim you were always around. You can't have been always around without knowing that, mostly from the regular rounds of sock puppet attacks, she kind of did this every so often. Everyone knew she needed to take breaks and get away for a little bit every so often. She's done this more than once and has always returned to a welcome crowd after brief time off. Like everyone else, you knew this if you were around.

Quote:
As founders of the project, Athy and I absolutely have the right to step in and steer when we see major incidents like Wendy's resignation.
Founders of any project, commercial or not, no matter what, is not grounds for any rights whatsoever. It means you were the founder. Nothing else.

As founder of the group inside SL, you have rights determined by LL toward that group alone. Even your removing other owners was not a normal privilege or right anyone ever has in SL. We know you had to file a support ticket to have that done.

To the best of my knowledge, they did not have to grant it. It might be something they always would do for a founder or they might only do it if they were convinced it was appropriate.
I would not rule out other users being able to file a ticket showing how inappropriate it was in this specific case, but it might not be worth it. You interrupted and are actively working to destroy support for the same project you are claiming to be in charge of.

A group is only that. It does not give validity to anyone or anything other than having or being a part of a group. One being used in an official manner for a project, product, or social club is at the discretion of its owners.

Quote:
And we absolutely have the right to declare which OpenCollar releases are official.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Inactive members of any project, including founders have no such legal right automatically, nor a 'birthright'.
I can't see a single court in the US giving you legal authority of evaluating which releases of an open source project are official, over that of those who have been actively developing and releasing them without your involvement over the last six years.

You can both freely fork your own into separate projects if it came down to it.
You have been committing a big liability risk for yourselves in your group chats by defaming the developers. Not only do you NOT have a product created or modified by yourselves yet, you have been maliciously accusing them of distributing dangerous updates. This, after acknowledging and thanking them for all of their wonderful work before declaring your takeover.
It's almost like you disregard the idea that this can be confirmed or denied easy enough with open source code. Those who won't know any different will hear nothing different unless they leave your nest.

Quote:
If VirtualDisgrace wants to make releases, they need to call them something else (and not "OpenCollar Six". That's a version number).
OpenCollar 6.x is only a version number of an OpenCollar product.
OpenCollar Six v8.x is version number also, but it does distinguish something different. I think both are irrelevant. They have been actively developing OpenCollar whatever for 6 years with only a little help from other volunteers, and none from you and your secretly assembled crew.

Quote:
Eva, you don't have to agree about us having that right to declare what's official, but the OpenCollar group is not the place to make that case. If you'll stop doing that in group chat you're welcome to come back.
I can't speak for Eva, and you can decide what's appropriate discussion for your group within limits of TOS.
Do you realize how many people have logs of all the things said in there the last couple of days? I think the level of libel might cause LL to react from what is seen in mine alone.
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Hugged You:
2 Users Like This:
Old 11-24-2017, 01:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Wendy resigned. The founders stepped in to right the ship and split from the for-profit VirtualDisgrace. That is the entire story.
1 User Groaned:
3 Users Said WTF?:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-24-2017, 01:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer
Quote:
Wendy resigned. The founders stepped in to right the ship and split from the for-profit VirtualDisgrace. That is the entire story.
A lie doesn't become true once you repeat it often: it still is a lie.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-24-2017, 01:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Welp. I'm convinced. It's still not worth logging in to SL again.

Tune in tomorrow folks, same time, same channel for another episode of Linden Lab's As the Stomach Churns.

*queue organ music and barf bags.

Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 11-24-2017, 02:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Socially Unpronouncable

My Mood:
@ Nirea, for at least as long as I've been there, about 3-3 1/2 years, you were governing and advising exactly two thing: jack and squat. And Athy never. Whereas, Wendy, Otto, and I were coding and managing OpenCollar, and the OpenCollar group. Helping customers and answering questions. It was only recently that I ever saw your name pipe up in the group, and that was prior to your takeover.

You effectively abandoned the group, abandoned the developers, and took a vacation. Then, when you felt it suited you, you staged a coup. You rolled in the tanks, took over the TV station, and announced, "We are official." Why you did it, I have no idea. But, it was a dick move of the highest sort and shows you have no moral integrity. You wanted the group, so you cried foul to Linden Lab. And they bought it.

You should have just left well enough alone and let Wendy and Otto continue on with what they do best: coding and making pretty collars and giving them away. If they sold some proprietary items or addon coding, so what? For pittance, 25L to 1000L (for HeartCore) it was helping to offset the cost of the user friendly website OpenCollar - Official Home Page to help customers, and maintain a friendly inworld presence. VirtualDisgrace products were addon, fluff, to OpenCollar. You said in the OpenCollar group, as well as distributed notecards, that it was "for-profit". Hell, they never made a profit off those wares that they sold. With ever endevour there incurs resources, and resources cost money.

And yet, you portrayed them as greedy, money-grubbing vultures that profited off the back of the good name of OpenCollar. When this very same point was taken up in the OpenCollar group by me.. BAM - "[2017/11/22 23:43:38] nirea Resident: You have been ejected from 'OpenCollar' by nirea Resident." It's not that you didn't want to hear the heart of it, it's that you didn't want the hundreds or thousands of others in the group to hear it... it wouldn't conform to your propaganda.

@ bcBrian - Thank you. You speak far more eloquently than I do.

Last edited by Eva Ryan; 11-24-2017 at 03:38 AM. Reason: grammar
2 Users Hugged You:
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Disagreed:
Old 11-24-2017, 03:45 AM   #23 (permalink)

Unhappy

I did not want to comment here at all and will only do so for myself.
(English is not my first language and I will try to leave emotions out of this though it is not easy)

After reading accusations towards me I have to defend myself here at least. as I am unable to defend myself against slander and lies that are told about me in the OpenCollar group so at least here I can state facts about what I did and did not do.
I was kicked the moment my first message entered the group chat, trying to express my sadness that lies are ok to be spread by group moderators (which one just did!).
I hear things about that spy plugin... well as a matter of fact it was me who started that one. It was taken out of the distribution because too many people were concerned about its compliance to the SL ToS. This caused the team back then a lot grief. First pushed to take it off then cursed because it was taken off. But for the good of the project it was the right decision.
As far as I know the one which was redeveloped and distributed (for L$) later by VirtualDisgrace has also been "OpenSourced"... the scripts have been modifiable, so readable and changeable for everyone. Everyone else could have done the same and nobody would even care.

Then there was a story written, well stories are stories and do not need to be based on facts.
The one linked in this thread is based on personal opinions, thoughts and assumptions, but barely on facts.

First there were concerns because I became 50% of donations at a time around July/August 2016. That is correct but I never asked for it, and when nirea pressured Wendy that time about credentials for the Organizer account, I felt the need to express my dislike about the way she demands things from someone who gave her soul to the project. Obviously that was interpreted that I would be afraid to lose the 50% shares of donation. (kinda funny because I just gave nirea my part of the donation she/he made back!).
Maybe I deserved the 50% that time, maybe not, however, I never asked for it and others thought I did!
Currently I add to the costs for the sim as shown on a group notice sent out to the hijacked grouped, that the donations do not even cover 1/3 of the costs.

Then over a year nothing again was heard of these founders. Until recently I was announced to be "Lead" of the project.
Well, as a matter of fact, there was no other to do this at this time, I did not ask for this but I think I was the only one who showed decent involvement over a period of time at that time for more than a couple of commits.
So, based on the assumptions made over a year ago, now me being the "lead" was seen a threat towards the projects foundations.
OUCH, sorry but that does hurt me, just looking at the history of OpenCollar and my involvement and contributions.

When getting worried about things, how about contacting the one called to lead?
Oh heck, no! Why would we do that? Remember, he was so eager for his 50% donations share a year ago, that guy cannot be trusted, he is only after the money.
Considering I joined the project in 2008 (with another avatar back then, but both founders know about that, I told them!) and have done nothing but contribute to the project...

Then I read again about things I "apparently" did, what account I log into and I really have no idea what else is spread about me in the OpenCollar group these days, as I am not allowed to participate.

I am sad to be misjudged that badly and slandered on top of it.

Did I ever attack or even name in a negative way one of the people who now run down my name and no clue what else?
Never in my life!
When I am pissed at someone I tell them that directly to the face, it's often not appreciated but that's how I am.

I have a clean conscious and never did violate or threaten any of OpenCollar's values.
Now I am done with this.

P.S. Sheesh can't even write my own name right anymore, It's Garvin Twine (current displayname Otto) in SL not Garwin. sighs

Last edited by GarwinTwine; 11-24-2017 at 04:05 AM. Reason: name wrong
GarwinTwine is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 11-24-2017, 07:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
Quote:

As founders of the project, Athy and I absolutely have the right to step in and steer when we see major incidents like Wendy's resignation. And we absolutely have the right to declare which OpenCollar releases are official. If VirtualDisgrace wants to make releases, they need to call them something else (and not "OpenCollar Six". That's a version number).

signation, however, both Athy and I decided that intervention was necessary.
I really don't have a chip in this fight but yeah....that above? bold and highlighted belowe......just saying (cause you are acting like the 'owner' when you very clearly state on the link to github and your own explaination that no such thing exists).

Quote:
Wendy has probably given more to OpenCollar than anyone, and for that we should all be extremely grateful. But contributing time to the project does not entitle anyone to ownership of it. OpenCollar remains about being free, open, and community-driven. It is not about any one person, whether that's myself, Wendy, Athy, or anyone.
If your beef was about the fact that Wendy and Crew sold a few of their own pieces in order to make a few bucks and maintain a sim then perhaps you should have clarified that with them and asked them to run two separate groups - one of the sim and one for the open source collar.

Perhaps, even better - you should have realized that the sim was a 'good thing' and has been around for a while and apparently was no concern of yours until Wendy took a step back and now you're using it as an escape route to get back in to things.

Perhaps it would have been the better option to be all "Hey lookie, I'm around again and want to be active - what do you need from me while Wendy takes another break?"

Perhaps.....you went about this all wrong.
Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 11-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Punching bag developer

busy coding

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Harley View Post
IPerhaps.....you went about this all wrong.
And they're still going about it all wrong. The excuse Executer Magic gave for dropping the banhammer on me was that asking him to avoid personal attacks in the OpenCollar group - something the group rules Nirea published in another notecard explicitly said was verboten - was damaging to the group's peace. Or some such.

Yeah, right. Saying that Nirea and Athalia were the "rightful owners" of the group, which implies that Wendy stole it, is not a personal attack. Uh huh, suuuuure.

It's all right for the coup leaders to sling personal attacks, but to even ask them to stop - to take the high road, and say "original owners" instead of "rightful owners" - is beyond the pale.

"Do as I say, not as I do", right, Nirea?

Last edited by Tonya Souther; 11-24-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Tonya Souther is offline   Reply With Quote