Second Life on a cloud? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Second Life on a cloud?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Second Life on a cloud?

I was sent an E-mail from Linden Lab informing me of the new features that they will be adding.

"Dear Second Life Residents, It’s been an exciting summer at Linden Lab. Second Life celebrated its 14th anniversary, and shortly thereafter we also opened Sansar's creator beta to the world. In addition, we are thrilled to announce a set of investments into Second Life and its communities that will include enhancements to our engineering support, customer support, billing systems and upgrades, and customer acquisition outreach. In all, we’ve budgeted many millions (USD, not L$...) in the coming year to make SL even better, and we’ll keep everyone up to date on improvements as they roll out (or sooner). This summer’s milestones have given us all another opportunity to reflect on just how strong the Second Life community is, what an incredible history SL has had so far, and what an amazing future lies ahead for the virtual world and its Residents.
For more than 14 years, you’ve created memorable experiences, diverse communities, close relationships, thriving economies, engaging art, exciting events, and amazing creations of all kinds. You’ve made the world, and we’re proud to provide the platform and tools that help you to do so. We at Linden continue to be impressed by what we witness from Residents every day, and we want you to know that we share that commitment to and love for Second Life. Here are a few of the things you can look forward to soon: • We are hard at work upgrading all of the SL infrastructure and moving it to the cloud, which will bring a wealth of opportunities to Residents near and far, and allow us, among many other things, to make SL more performant for Residents across the world from us. It may also allow us to introduce new products with more flexible pricing. • We’re working on several features to increase the value of Premium subscriptions. Most recently we gave Premium members priority access to near-full events, and shortly, we’ll be ready to unveil another bit of exciting news for subscribers. • We're building out a series of great extensions to Windlight (code name: EEP!), which will give value, flexibility, and new marketability to land, and will make Windlight settings tradeable assets. • We have an extension to the animation system in the works (code name: Animesh) that will allow non-avatar objects to use more powerful and efficient skeletal animations the way avatars can today, and even more changes planned for creators and merchants later in the year. • We’ve also got new experiences and events coming. An exciting new grid-wide gaming experience is coming soon! The team can’t wait to share the details with you in just a few days. Also in the works for this fall is an updated Halloween Haunted Tour, with new spooktacular events to celebrate. Not to mention, we’re turning 15 next year - SL15B, baby! That’s an incredible milestone and we are looking forward to collaborating with you to produce an amazing celebration. Long live Second Life and long live the creative process in the amazing worlds that you've trail-blazed! Thank you for filling SL with your creations and communities all of these past 14+ years, and here’s to many, many more together. Best, Ebbe Linden, CEO & the Second Life Team"

What type of changes would operating Second Life on a cloud bring?
"It may also allow us to introduce new products with more flexible pricing."
Inexpensive tier levels?
Georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Awww:
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said WTF?:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
It's an interesting letter all round, not because of the specific details, but because of the overall message. This seems to me, a strong declaration that the Lab intends to continue supporting Second Life into the foreseeable future. If I were to hazard a guess, the reason it's come out today is a direct response to the FUD generated by Sansar. From the get go, despite everything the Lab has said to the contrary, there's been endless speculation that Sansar would replace SL. With the recent Sansar "beta" these fears have only increased. This letter was clearly intended to address those concerns.

ps: George, you might want to consider adding some white space to your post. Walls of text aren't inviting to read. I only responded because I read the original email, not your copy/paste.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ces

Does being in the Cloud means that SL will be less laggy, cause all cache will be stored there instead on my computer?
Ces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

What a folking boat!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1 29 2013
Business: the Sail Loft
My handrolled guess is, they realised they'd have to put servers across the world to get the ping times required for Sansar, and they're going to piggyback SL in those installations. Though, I suppose using the word "cloud" means they're leasing those things.
Trifina is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah when a company mentions they are moving to a cloud service, its basicly saying they are moving to third party servers
PandoraB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
I had read a case study about Linden Lab working with Amazon's cloud servers. I will have to dig it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTWNBBFN
I've got more in common with the bugger on my bayonette
Than the toff you's telling me to stick it in his guts.

The Men That Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing, Mutiny in the Common Soldiery
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

SL Join Date: 10/24/2006
Client: Firestorm
https://aws.amazon.com/solutions/cas...es/linden-lab/

This one is primary for Project Sansar.

The Challenge

• Company had created products that used immutable host images running on bare metal servers.
  • The applications were monolithic and images took up to 15 minutes to deploy.
  • For Project Sansar, the company chose to use Docker containers for increased speed and consistency between environments.
  • Wanted to run Sansar at scale and needed efficient, fast cluster management and container orchestration.
  • Initially evaluated a range of open-source tools, but encountered failures, immaturity, instability, and management difficulties.
The Solution

• Started using Amazon EC2 Container Service (Amazon ECS), a scalable, high-performance container management service that provides cluster management and container orchestration. The company runs the containerized web applications and backend services of Project Sansar across clusters of Amazon EC2 instances.
  • Built a custom scheduler for scheduling containers with specific PCI restrictions and CPU/memory requirements.
  • Built a continuous integration and continuous delivery pipeline into Amazon ECS using Jenkins and Drone.io.
  • Uses Elastic Load Balancing for automatic load balancing of traffic across containers and AWS CloudFormation to provision all Amazon ECS clusters and related resources.
The Benefits

• Amazon ECS eliminates the need to install software and operate servers; this reduces overall management needs for running containers at scale and helps speed time to market.
  • Faster speed and efficiency in moving to containers, averaging one to two minutes for builds and one to three minutes for deployments—about 60 percent faster than previous build/deployment tools.
  • Service is more stable and production ready.

Last edited by Asterius; 08-30-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Asterius is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
I thought SL had been in the cloud -on amazon servers, for years as it was?
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
I suspect you are referring to this case study, but it is only viewer and only some of the content is downloaded. I suspect that LL plans to move it to EC2.

Foetron | Linden Lab
Linden Lab

Company Overview:

Linden Lab is the maker of Second Life, the immersive 3D virtual world imagined and created by its users or Residents. Since 2006, Linden Lab has used Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) to store elements used in the Second Life world and to distribute the Second Life Viewer to end users. In November 2008, when AWS released Amazon CloudFront, a content delivery service, Linden was faced with a decision: which service should it use to deliver its content?

Perhaps not surprisingly, the right answer for Linden Lab was to use both services. They decided to use CloudFront for some of their content, while other content remained only in Amazon S3. They made the determination based on the popularity of their content: those objects that were downloaded frequently would be moved to CloudFront, those that were downloaded less frequently would be delivered through Amazon S3 alone.

Specifically, Linden Lab first enabled a CloudFront distribution for downloads of the Second Life Viewer. The Second Life Viewer is an application that each Resident runs on their own computer to interact with the Second Life world. Downloads of the Viewer were ideally suited for CloudFront delivery. The Viewer can be downloaded over 40 thousand times each day by different users all over the world and using CloudFront helps Residents download their software faster by storing copies at edge locations close to them. Currently, CloudFront uses 14 edge locations across the world.

“CloudFront has significantly reduced the time it takes for our Residents to download our Viewer, wherever they are,” said Linden Lab’s Bryan O’Sullivan. “The process for getting up and running with CloudFront was simple and straightforward, and took just a few minutes.”

At the same time, Linden continues to use Amazon S3 for its less frequently accessed content, particularly assets used as part of the Second Life in-world experience. These include assets like sounds, skeleton and texture files, and animations that are part of every Resident’s inventory. “We chose to store our less frequently accessed content in Amazon S3 because it gives high durability for great value,” said O’Sullivan.

Next, Linden Lab plans to enable map tiles for delivery with Amazon CloudFront. Second Life Residents can use map tiles to navigate and travel in the online world. So, like the Second Life Viewer, individual map tiles are popular objects that are well suited for CloudFront’s edge delivery: each map tile is requested many times by users all over the world. With CloudFront, copies of map tiles will be held in edge locations close to Viewers, reducing latency and improving the user experience.

Last edited by Asterius; 08-30-2017 at 05:07 PM.
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-31-2017, 01:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Nan

"I feel like SL but BETTER"

My Mood:
Why didn't the residents get this letter?
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-31-2017, 01:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
The new Windlight expansion certainly has my interest. Second Life could actually end up reaping a lot of rewards from Sansar development.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 08-31-2017, 01:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Why didn't the residents get this letter?
The letter was sent out to all residents.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
They've been using AWS for the CDN. Region and asset servers are still in Lab owned (or leased) data centres.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-31-2017, 02:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
The new Windlight expansion certainly has my interest. Second Life could actually end up reaping a lot of rewards from Sansar development.
The Windlight stuff got a mildly bitter chuckle from me. I first heard of it during an (iirc) TPV dev meeting and...

Hang on, I need to prepare for this bit.

/me reaches into hammerspace and pulls out a Penny Patton cosplay outfit, complete with horns, a tail and enormous udders. She slips into it and adjusts.

Ahem.

"Windlight changes and updates? That's laughable. The "new" abilities they've mentioned is only stuff they said they were going to do years ago! Seriously! Back when Windlight was first added to the viewer, all this stuff was going to be added "soon.." It's not really changes to Windlight, it's more so that nearly 10 years later, the Lab are finally getting round to finishing it. Gee, thanks Linden Lab.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Quote:
and will make Windlight settings tradeable assets
I won't make fun of Linden Lab for finally doing what they said they'd do 10 years ago.

Instead I'll say them actually finally doing it is 1000% more interesting than Sansar.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
I won't make fun of Linden Lab for finally doing what they said they'd do 10 years ago.

Instead I'll say them actually finally doing it is 1000% more interesting than Sansar.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see it's finally going to get done. It might even inspire me to finish that suite of Windlights I once told Jo Yardley I was making for Berlin.

I'm still going to rag on them over the delay though.
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Andi
Sox

My Mood:
Business: Drew's Loose ends
Client: anything that works
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
They've been using AWS for the CDN. Region and asset servers are still in Lab owned (or leased) data centres.
they had several at one point, boston,dc,arizona, now it's just the scottsdale datacentre they are in. I'm 2 hours from it and my pings hardly ever get above 23ms because of how I'm routed.

Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-31-2017, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

"What type of changes would operating Second Life on a cloud bring?"

By itself, very little. Computationally, a cloud is just a cluster of other people's computers.

Most of the differences between clouds and classical hosted servers are:

1. It may be quicker to spin up new instances of a server in a cloud environment, if the server is designed for rapid replication and instantiation. The changes necessary to make this possible will also make it easier to spin up new instances in a hosted environment. The only real difference here is that the cloud instance is less likely to require physical acquisition and provisioning of a new server.

2. For a given load and performance level, cloud based services are considerably more expensive. This is offset by the lower management cost, and the ability to temporarily spin up and then shut down servers when load fluctuates.

3. Latency to storage is less controllable in a cloud environment.

I'd be more interested in them implementing volumetric clouds, TBH.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-01-2017, 01:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Wanted for Makeup Crimes

Location: Faery Crossing, Angel Manor, New Babbage, Europa Wulfenbach
My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb 2008
Business: Dark Alice, HorrorAddicts.net
Client: Firestorm, Crystal Ball
So...what happens to things like pets and clocks and vendor server boxes on cloud sims spinning up and shutting down...?
Old 09-01-2017, 02:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve Aeon View Post
So...what happens to things like pets and clocks and vendor server boxes on cloud sims spinning up and shutting down...?
What happens to those things during rolling restarts; the same I imagine?
Old 09-01-2017, 02:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Tainted Tigar

I'm sawrry, but I dun' prey taht wai!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!

Awards: 1
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see it's finally going to get done. It might even inspire me to finish that suite of Windlights I once told Jo Yardley I was making for Berlin.

I'm still going to rag on them over the delay though.
How does one make Windlight settings? Is there one that features an eclipse of the sun or moon? Is that even possible?

Should this be a different thread?

If the seasons is spices, then winter is cumin

Fun Facts 'bout Tigars #8. When several tigers are present at a kill, the males will often wait for females and cubs to eat first, unlike lions, which do the opposite. Tigers rarely argue or fight over a kill and simply wait turns.
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve Aeon View Post
Yes, that is a bit of a bugger, isn't it? Perhaps they'll make cloud sims a low cost tier like homesteads.

Quote:
What happens to those things during rolling restarts; the same I imagine?
I've priced this for a compute-intensive customer use case. Cloud servers cost way more than dedicated servers, if they're actually in use 24/7. The only thing that makes them competitive is that you can massively overprovision them and spin them down and release all the resources back to the vendor when they're not in use.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #23 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
"What type of changes would operating Second Life on a cloud bring?"

By itself, very little. Computationally, a cloud is just a cluster of other people's computers.

Most of the differences between clouds and classical hosted servers are:

1. It may be quicker to spin up new instances of a server in a cloud environment, if the server is designed for rapid replication and instantiation. The changes necessary to make this possible will also make it easier to spin up new instances in a hosted environment. The only real difference here is that the cloud instance is less likely to require physical acquisition and provisioning of a new server.

2. For a given load and performance level, cloud based services are considerably more expensive. This is offset by the lower management cost, and the ability to temporarily spin up and then shut down servers when load fluctuates.

3. Latency to storage is less controllable in a cloud environment.

I'd be more interested in them implementing volumetric clouds, TBH.

Some other random speculation, some of which they may already be doing, though I imagine Amazon does it better because, EC2.

One vibe I got was that it will cost significantly less for them, and they intend to pass some of that to the users. Not a lot, but maybe another prim bump or more stipend or land or something. the whole "Make Premium better" note.

In Amazon's virtualized environment, I imagine they could much more easily spin up and halt regions completely based on who is using them. A region that never gets any traffic would cost them nothing and be able to be instantly brought up if for whatever reason, someone TPd there. This would definitely mean a lot less infrastructure costs to LL.

On the other side of that, Amazon's system is likely a lot more dynamically flexible. So regions that get traffic spikes, instead of running into "This region is full",could just keep pumping themselves up larger and larger with more CPU and more RAM to handle the increasing load. In theory, though there may be code problems on LL's side, this could end up meaning no more full regions, since regions can just hold an unlimited number of avatars. LL may need to tweak things to get this to work. I mean think about something like WOW. You never walk from Durotar to Orgrimmar and get "Sorry, Orgrimmar is full". Even if there is some event and a ton of players are hanging out there.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I mean think about something like WOW. You never walk from Durotar to Orgrimmar and get "Sorry, Orgrimmar is full".
I don't know a thing about WOW but this page says Orgrimmar is located in the Northernmost part of Durotar.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/6146815475
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 09-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie Swansong View Post
How does one make Windlight settings? Is there one that features an eclipse of the sun or moon? Is that even possible?

Should this be a different thread?
Environment Editor, found in the World menu. There are three separate ones for Water, Sky and Day presets.

It might be possible to pull off a solar eclipse effect, but I doubt it.

If you want/need more info, then 'perhaps.' \_(ツ)_/
1 User Said Thanks: