Bought a Premium subsciption...did I waste my money? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Bought a Premium subsciption...did I waste my money?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Bought a Premium subsciption...did I waste my money?

I bought a premium subscription a few days ago...but after doing some reading on the official Second Life forums and a reddit...I might be having some buyers' remorse. Supposedly people say that being Premium was a waste of money without any real benefits - that homes and land can be obtained without premium membership. I was wondering if you agree or not.

As for my experience so far...the Linden home I got was decent (although it could have been better or worse), and as someone with many avatars I found it useful to set a good home position for all of them - all at the same spot. I was also able to house three robots and the needed supplies. I feel satisfied but because of what I just read, also feel some buyer's remorse.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensalmon View Post
As for my experience so far...the Linden home I got was decent (although it could have been better or worse), and as someone with many avatars I found it useful to set a good home position for all of them - all at the same spot. I was also able to house three robots and the needed supplies. I feel satisfied but because of what I just read, also feel some buyer's remorse.
I've been Premium for close to ten years, and never regretted it.

In fact, Premium is a pretty good bargain if you can use the 512m of land. The absolutely best deal is when you go for the full annual Premium at $72/year. The stipend itself ends up reimbursing most of the cost of your membership, dropping your out-of-pocket to something ridiculously low like $1.50 per month for that 512m of land.

If you bought a monthly or quarterly Premium, you don't get quite as good a rate, but it's easier to cancel if you decide you don't want mainland anymore.
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
I've been Premium for close to ten years, and never regretted it.

In fact, Premium is a pretty good bargain if you can use the 512m of land. The absolutely best deal is when you go for the full annual Premium at $72/year. The stipend itself ends up reimbursing most of the cost of your membership, dropping your out-of-pocket to something ridiculously low like $1.50 per month for that 512m of land.

If you bought a monthly or quarterly Premium, you don't get quite as good a rate, but it's easier to cancel if you decide you don't want land anymore.
Yeah I have the yearly Premium, which will take effect next month. I first opted for monthly but then changed it.
aliensalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
I think it's worth it, though I prefer owning land on main land vs a linden home.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fuzzlebugs Finkmellon

haz dem bodacious ta-tas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2009
Client: Singularity

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I've rented privately for a long time, meaning that I didn't need to have a Premium account, but after having bitten the bullet 2 or 3 years ago, I'm glad I went Premium. I much prefer the benefits of having my own land, with the added control that comes with. And *touch wood* I've never had any trouble on my Mainland parcel.

I personally do think that if you're not totally sure about taking the plunge, maybe the monthly or quarterly option is the better way forward in the first instance as you can test it out, see how it works for you, then decide later if you want to invest in a whole year. But as Beebo pointed out, the cost of the annual Premium membership is pretty well balanced out by the incoming stipend, so even if you do decide after a year that it's not for you, in theory, you're not out of pocket.
Cristiano
The first rule of Pope Club is you don't talk about Pope Club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinB View Post
Anouk: "Proudly shackling the genie-arses of abnormal men!"
Anouk is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-03-2017, 04:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Voice of Reason

Not Amused

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/30/2006
Client: Firestorm/CoolVL
Send a message via Skype™ to Spirits Rising
As was pointed out in the official forum, unless you're getting at least the four hundred Linden Dollar a week Stipend you really are not getting even close to it paying for itself. At best you're getting a bit of a discount if you actually save up and convert those Linden Dollars into actual cash.

That aside it is a decent enough set of perks - I just wish it was easier to buy a Mainland parcel outright. I'd have done that instead of still renting the 4096 I presently have, though now it wouldn't really be worth it as I'm paying the same as I would to the Lab for the boosted LI value (the rental company opted to buy the additional LI boost on top of the normal one that every sim got).
Spirits Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-03-2017, 04:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
I have two premiums and I rarely log in but refuse to get rid of them because unlike Beebo, I let my stipend sit then go on a major shopping spree a few times a year. I keep one mainland plot for myself then donate the other's tier to the Shelter still.

When I was logging in consistently, I liked that I got money each week and kept me from putting much money in (and considering I enjoy shopping in world wwaaayyyy more then I do in the real world......it's really helped my RL budget )
Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-03-2017, 05:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Find a 512 square meter plot of mainland in a double prim region. There is no better deal in terms of prims per dollar.

While you can rent land without premium, you still have to pay someone else who pays linden, premium cuts out the middleman and you rent directly from LL, and answer to no one else.

That's how I prefer it.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirits Rising View Post
As was pointed out in the official forum, unless you're getting at least the four hundred Linden Dollar a week Stipend you really are not getting even close to it paying for itself. At best you're getting a bit of a discount if you actually save up and convert those Linden Dollars into actual cash.
The math is pretty straightforward.

The $72/yr Premium costs you $6/mo in real money. You get $4 and change in Lindens every month, which is play money you don't have to buy or it can be exchanged for real money. So your out-of-pocket cost for 512m of mainland, plus tech support, costs you a bit under $2/mo.

Your total cost for the year is around $20. Sounds like a bargain to me.
Beebo Brink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirits Rising View Post

That aside it is a decent enough set of perks - I just wish it was easier to buy a Mainland parcel outright. I'd have done that instead of still renting the 4096 I presently have, though now it wouldn't really be worth it as I'm paying the same as I would to the Lab for the boosted LI value (the rental company opted to buy the additional LI boost on top of the normal one that every sim got).
I hate how much of a pain it is to get decent mainland at non rape pricing. LL really needs to be more diligent about reselling abandoned parcels for a reasonable fee and maybe, I dunno, limiting land holdings to some max to stop people from just snatching them up to resell for $50L/m. Of course those re-sellers will just create alts.

At a minimum they could at least add better controls for buying land. Why can't I open the map, see parcels for sale, select a maximum and minimum parcel size, AND set a maximum price per m I am willing to pay. I want to find something for $2-3L/m not see a cluttery mess of rip off garbage.
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Voice of Reason

Not Amused

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
The math is pretty straightforward.

The $72/yr Premium costs you $6/mo in real money. You get $4 and change in Lindens every month, which is play money you don't have to buy or it can be exchanged for real money. So your out-of-pocket cost for 512m of mainland, plus tech support, costs you a bit under $2/mo.

Your total cost for the year is around $20. Sounds like a bargain to me.
A bargain, yes. Paying for itself, no.

All of this was covered to death by someone on the official forum. I personally don't have the patience to respond with more than that.
3 Users Groaned:
Old 08-03-2017, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Voice of Reason

Not Amused

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I hate how much of a pain it is to get decent mainland at non rape pricing. LL really needs to be more diligent about reselling abandoned parcels for a reasonable fee and maybe, I dunno, limiting land holdings to some max to stop people from just snatching them up to resell for $50L/m. Of course those re-sellers will just create alts.

At a minimum they could at least add better controls for buying land. Why can't I open the map, see parcels for sale, select a maximum and minimum parcel size, AND set a maximum price per m I am willing to pay. I want to find something for $2-3L/m not see a cluttery mess of rip off garbage.
It would be quite nice if they did not insist on putting them up on that god forsaken rape - I mean auction - block.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

I went premium 2 months ago, after 10 years in SL. First I wanted to have a mainland parcel. I rented before that from different estate parcels, and while I liked it I thought it was always a bit overpriced. I now have a nice 2048 m2 parcel on a almost deserted adult sim. And the buy price was also reasonable.

but I think the biggest perk is the 300l stipend, first I thought, meh 300l isnt that much. But I can be away from SL for a few weeks, and when I come back, Im richer! It really adds up, and saves me going to the lindex to buy currency quite a few times, so saves me certainly money in the long run.
PandoraB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Superhero - Saving Newbies, Zoobys and Stray Prims.

My Mood:
Premium accounts get a few slots put aside for them when a sim is full, so sometimes its possible to get into crowded places. Not sure how effective this is, but it is a thing.
Chrono Cogshine is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-04-2017, 12:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
I'm only Premium because my accounts are old enough to quality for the higher stipend, but I do enjoy some of the perks.

The premium sandboxes are a godsend and like others I prefer owning mainland to renting. It has it's downsides but it's cheaper and you never need to worry about the estate changing hands or going belly-up.

If my accounts didn't pay for themselves I doubt I'd have gone premium myself but it's all in what you want out of it. Like Beebo points out, you can save up the stipend to cash out in a year, reducing the cost to $20/year. Is having your own virtual home and the other premium features worth $20/year to you? Then you made the right choice!
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-04-2017, 01:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
Client: Flavor of the week
I thought I wrote a reply yesterday, but maybe I was dreaming it?

Anyway, how to find the double prim Mainland? Is there a list?

I have never been Premium, and has not rented land most of the time. Mainland, there I am mostly ignorant.

350 prims, now with all the low LI mesh, is really useful.
"My opinion is, a designer should always try to enhance the inworld experience for his clients. In a virtual world, where individuality is hard to obtain, selling modifieable items is like selling a bit of freedom. Think about that." ~Silent Sky
Marianne Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Little View Post
Anyway, how to find the double prim Mainland? Is there a list?
Any of the mainland "city" sims, so any land in Barcola, Bay City or Nautilus. These sims are definitely double prim.

Other parts of Nautilus might be, I'm not sure one way or the other.

I seem to recall hearing that the sims adjoining either end of the waterway between Sansara and Heterocera are either double prim or have a prim bonus (because of their proximity to the prim drilling in ANWR).

I have no clue if there's any in Zindra.

By the way, double prim land is generally expensive. Like really expensive. I bought a 1024 block in Bay City at the beginning of last year and even though it was a bargain by typical prices, it was still enough to make a real world finances dint. In other words, you don't buy into double prim unless you really want it for some purpose.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Nan

"I feel like SL but BETTER"

My Mood:
The new Horizons regions are 1024m for 702 prims, but super pricey
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
Client: Flavor of the week
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
Any of the mainland "city" sims, so any land in Barcola, Bay City or Nautilus. These sims are definitely double prim.

Other parts of Nautilus might be, I'm not sure one way or the other.

I seem to recall hearing that the sims adjoining either end of the waterway between Sansara and Heterocera are either double prim or have a prim bonus (because of their proximity to the prim drilling in ANWR).

I have no clue if there's any in Zindra.

By the way, double prim land is generally expensive. Like really expensive. I bought a 1024 block in Bay City at the beginning of last year and even though it was a bargain by typical prices, it was still enough to make a real world finances dint. In other words, you don't buy into double prim unless you really want it for some purpose.
Double prim, 512, Adult, for 10 K? Is this normal/average price?
Marianne Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

>>...did I waste my money?

Yes.

But so what? It's not like sending money to Linden Lab is akin to investing in whale blubber futures, or something.
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Alien Fashionista

I'm not green, i'm teal. pfft!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 7, 2005
Send a message via MSN to Alessa
Premium is a hard sell for most people since the only main advantage is owning your own land (which i admit is pretty cool since i can leave and come back and not have to worry it will still be there when i do). I've also been lucky so far because a lot of mainland is surrounded by really annoying builds and/or neighbors. Let's say i heard...stories XD

I also have a yearly premium subscription but only because i have an old 12 year old account and get 500L$ per week. Otherwise i think i'd stick to renting.

My Flickr for bored people
Alessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #22 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Penguins Rule!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
>>...did I waste my money?

Yes.
Nonsense. The stipend alone makes the premium account cost only a few dollars a month. For those few dollars you get a lot of extra group slot, a few saved slots on full sims, and free land.

Then there is the free gifts. I know a number of boat makers that are very happy that I have a premium account. If it wasn't for my premium gift of a sailboat so many years ago I never would have started sailing. Hence, I never would have bought so many boats.

Just waiting on Jacqueline to get that new one ready that I've been checking on for the last 8 months.

1 User Agreed:
Old 08-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
Nonsense.

Quote:
The stipend alone makes the premium account cost only a few dollars a month.
Which could have gone towards something else. Like food. Or rent. Or gas. Or clothing. Or anything else a little more...tangible...than:

Quote:
For those few dollars you get a lot of extra group slot, a few saved slots on full sims, and free land.
In a fully virtual, non-real environment. Which all disappears the moment LL goes bankrupt, pushes hard on Sansara, or just tires of all our hanging about and refusing to move on.

Quote:
Then there is the free gifts.

Isn't anything received without cost in SL a 'free gift?' If so:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?category_id&search[sort]=price_asc

I don't think you need a premium account to shop on the Marketplace - yet.

Quote:
I know a number of boat makers that are very happy that I have a premium account. If it wasn't for my premium gift of a sailboat so many years ago I never would have started sailing. Hence, I never would have bought so many boats.

(Also, you might want to take note of my "so what" above before following up.)
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Admiral

***busy***

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November 2006
Client: FireStorm (latest release)
It won't be double prim but you can get land cheaper in places that aren't as popular like the snow lands. It's not pretty but works for me since I don't leave the cabin when I'm there and put up fake scenes over the windows.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Penguins Rule!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
)
Nonsense.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags