Do you give your avatars different personalities? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Do you give your avatars different personalities?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Do you give your avatars different personalities?

I have a lot of avatars, and they deviate from my real life personality in different degrees.

For my female avatars, I do not really stray far from my "real" personality. I do deviate from the "real me" a little more with some of my non-human and male human avatars.

Here is a list of the personalities I give some of my avatars:

Female Avatars/Pikachu/Pokemon Trio/Asian guy/Transforming guy (who can transform into different animals and objects): These avatars are representative of my personality in real life - highly sensitive and don't talk much, I think. Opinionated on SL, though. A little risque at times.

Alien: More outspoken about his political and social views (and vices).

Dog: A chill, cool, relaxed guy who teases others but also doesn't like to fight. A source of wisdom.

Parrot: A sarcastic, brash smart aleck.

Black Guy: Similar personality to the real me, only that he'll try to act really tough if you insult him.

Blond guy: A mercenary/soldier who seeks justice. Chivalrous.

The President of a Republic: He's...well, presidential.

The Constitutional Monarch: Uh...kingly?

The Hardened Naval Pilot: Curses and is angry a lot.

The horse rider: Friendly guy and his horse is his friend.
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I have a child avatar who I gave an impish, obviously childlike personality, and I have fun doing it. My main, on the other hand, is pretty much a reflection of the RL me. And I enjoy that as well.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Penguins Rule!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2011
Business: Retired
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensalmon View Post
I have a lot of avatars, and they deviate from my real life personality in different degrees.

For my female avatars, I do not really stray far from my "real" personality. I do deviate from the "real me" a little more with some of my non-human and male human avatars.
Holy Crap, I am so glad that I'm not the only one that does this. My main av started off as a child av, which I had a lot of fun with, but things changed and she had to grow up. Now she is the upstanding member of the community ... blah blah blah.....

I created my second AV 4 years ago as a lab rat to test scripts from the point of view as a user. Over the years I have dinked around with her. I bought her a SMB body, some hair, and one outfit. From there I pretty much ignored her.

Over the last year I've been bring her online more often. This weekend I went whole hog with her, gave her a complete make over, and took her out for some fun. With out ever trying her personality is completely different than my main AV. Maggie is a upstanding creator and scripter where mini magg is a little bit of a brat with a smart mouth.

One of the things that I started doing a few years back if I have both AV's on line at the same time I find myself switching between the two if they are standing in the same area, answering like they are two completely different people. I went so far as to have them have a conversation with themselves.

I went so far this weekend that I had Mini out and when it was time for her to go home. I logged in my main out and sent her out to find her and tell her it was time to go home. Please tell me that isn't strange? All my friends are telling me its perfectly normal.
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
If all my avatars were the 'real' me, then I wouldn't feel the need for as many. They might all have some aspect of me, which I've found makes them more relateable, but its not always the same bits, other than maybe a level of introversion/shyness.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Let's see, recently I been:

a petite succubus with devil horns and bat wings

a "normal" av that is a younger version of me

an elf wizard

an elf warrior

a cat, who usually only converses with variations of "meow"

a hamster. She's a complete brat and will go everywhere because how do you say no to a hamster?

Which makes me think I should also do a mouse. After all, mice certainly go anywhere they want to, too.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
Old 07-11-2017, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

I use to have a child avatar. His personality was totally different then your standard saccharine toddleedoo. He was a homeless victorian era preteen who smoked, was constantly covered in dirt, and had a problem with old timey heroin infused cough syrup. The sheer surreality of that character when contrasted with the usual upper middle class modern kids that hang out at adoption centers was a tonne of fun.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Tapatalk

Princess Of Communism is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 07-11-2017, 03:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

I try to keep them distinct. It's tough when half a dozen of them are all named "Argent". There was a reason for that.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Nirans or development daily build
Short answer:
Yes.

Long answer:
RL I'm a writer and storyteller, as well as being an actor so it's sort of inevitable I'm a RPer too. The AVs I wear in SL do have distinct personalities but a lot of that comes from writing each one a detailed backstory. At the same time, I draw from my own life experiences and aspects of my real personality to both create that backstory and play the character - they are "what I would be like if that backstory was the story of my life"

This started even with the name I picked for my account - I wanted to use my real first name, but at the time I created it, that meant finding a surname for which that name was available. I'd have accepted almost any, to be honest, but obviously "David" was one of the first to disappear so that was a bit of a non-starter. That led to a character in one of my favorite books, a virtual-world hacker who put a "5" in that name in place of the "V" - being a serious geek myself, taking that option for my SL identity was immediately a no-brainer and since I was picking one name from a literary character that matched an aspect of my RL self, why not the other too? As an old-school pagan "Weatherwax" was something of a badge of honor!

I was working for IBM and hanging out with their "SL folks" when I joined SL and I found it amusing to initially make my everyday avatar a borg in a business suit for obvious reasons. However then I went looking for ST RP and started on the backstory - which led to the appearance you see in my forum image. He's a borg that was ejected from the collective because he developed individuality (yes, I even went as far as to create canon-consistent lore for how that happened) and found a "new collective" to "belong" to in Star Fleet... I subsequently even RPed a chapter of his existence where he incorporated an old holo-emitter into one of his implants so he could adopt different appearances - ie wear different avatars - but when starting as the borg, the character and personality didn't change when the appearance did.

In the meantime I was working on a human avatar which I was determined to make look as close to my RL self as possible. Obviously, I already had the "backstory" for that one but different appearances for him were all derived from specific aspects of my RL self and so those always ended up coming out more strongly in the in-world personality if I was wearing that particular look. Every "human" look I have in SL is based off this avatar and while they could be said to have different personalities, to one extent or another they are all "really me."

The third is a character from my stories which has, over the years, morphed into something of an alter ego. One of the things I write is furry pulp fiction and the PI character who is the main protagonist of those tales decided he wanted out of the pages and while I wasn't planning on it suddenly I had something very close to a "fursona" so I created him in SL too. I've been "wearing his head" while writing his stories for long enough that doing so when I'm wearing his appearance in SL comes rather naturally.
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
♂♂

*SLU Supporter*

*Poof!*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25th May 2007

They're all very different parts of me or so like to think. It's more of a struggle to stop myself pulling the different parts of me together so that each ends up being very me!

As far as I'm aware, they each speak/type a little differently and each hang out in very different places. They also look quite different in my eyes anyway.
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 07-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
They're parts of me, but in the end still me.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

What are all the reasons to have multiple avatars?

I created quite a few when I first joined. I thought I was going to use Second Life like a MUSH and do light roleplaying. The roleplaying appeal wore off quickly, and I ended up mainly just doing socializing. For socializing, I think it's best to have one avatar and stick with her. Otherwise, I wind up having multiple distinct circles of friends and never having adequate time to check in with them all.

Of course when I was roleplaying, I created distinct personalities for my alts, because that's the point of roleplaying- to be someone else other than me. I wrote backstories and quick-data sheets for each just like I did for MUSH characters.

Most of the old accounts still exist, but now the avatars exist only for purposes of testing animations and scripts, and taking pictures of me (which I find is easier to do with an alt than a camera HUD).

I think some people conflate the socializing and light roleplaying. The problem I have with doing that myself is that it takes some concentration for me to stay in-character, which is not something I can do or want to do for long, continuous periods of time.

The problem I have with some others doing it is that most people are not as good at it as they think. Second Life has a lot of 18-year-olds who are experts on 80s pop music and culture, a lot of women who have never experienced an act of sexism in their lives, muscle men who can list their top-20 favorite donuts but cannot name a single piece of gym equipment, and so on. At the other end of the spectrum are the people who do not draw anything from their real life, and end up being dull flat personalities who have nothing to talk about. There are people who can do it well, easily get into character and maintain it forever, but those who do it well are the minority of those who are trying it.

Besides roleplaying, testing, and shop bots, I can't think of many reasons why someone would want more than one active avatar. (I guess there is a category of serial monogamists and stalkers who need multiple avatars.) If you just want to be yourself, you really only need one.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Short Answer: Nope! Friends recognize my voice, and would know if I acted differently.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity Slade View Post
Some reasons;
1) Alt vacations -to take a break from what you usually do in SL and see other things
2) To spend time inworld without being pounced on; esp if you're involved in multiple projects on your main
3) To see and be a part of things your main isn't, ie to play the opposite gender
4) Different alts for different moods.
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lurking.
Ciao.

Elsa was a beach girl goofing her way through SL, but came abruptly to an end when someone fell seriously in love with her, although Elsa was everything but a romantic type and did her best not to attract attention of guys, other than for a casual friendship.
Elsa was totally responsible for my SL addiction, maybe because she was totally not me.

Sid grew to be my main when I pulled the plug out of Elsa. He is a bit a boring type, just like me. Sid never bothered to make new friends, totally concentrated on developing a few shops. So when the old friends one by one left, SL became socially boring and when the online building by newbies ended and his DoorStore started to loose money, it was more or less game over.

King is an old man, that still sells a few textures on the marketplace, he only comes to SL to hand over the cash to Sid, which isn't much the last years.

Missy was never a success. She ended a few days after creation.

Doorstore was the customer service for my DoorStore.

A few weeks ago I was tempted to give Elsa a second life in SL.
But to make the lady up to par again, I would have to make a complete study about mesh bodies, applicators, mesh clothing, hands, heads and feet with huds and what not.
After reading a few threads here, and some in world research I took a deep breath and ... put the whole idea on the shelf again.
SL has become to complicated, even for a resident that has ten years of in world experience.

Last edited by Sid II; 07-11-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
kortee'nea

Quote:
[...]
Besides roleplaying, testing, and shop bots, I can't think of many reasons why someone would want more than one active avatar. (I guess there is a category of serial monogamists and stalkers who need multiple avatars.) If you just want to be yourself, you really only need one.
Well, I never Roleplay, I don't need to test things, and I don't sell anything.

I also use voice chat exclusively, so stalking would be pretty difficult what with instantly being identified, and I don't talk to strangers. All in all, I just want to be myself.

I have 6 alts.

Quote:
You only need one.
Well, if we're changing the subject to needs now, I personally don't even need one. SL is far from necessary. I'm here for enjoyment.

Last edited by Adeon Writer; 07-11-2017 at 12:31 PM.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
Well, if we're changing the subject to needs now, I personally don't even need one. SL is far from necessary. I'm here for enjoyment.
I will re-phrase it: Aside from roleplaying and testing, I do not understand why anyone would want than one. I say that as an invitation to others to talk about their whys so that I may perhaps learn something new.
Amity Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I will re-phrase it: Aside from roleplaying and testing, I do not understand why anyone would want than one. I say that as an invitation to others to talk about their whys so that I may perhaps learn something new.
I guess one of the reasons why I like to make many avatars is that I come from an RPG background. In many Japanese-style RPGs you control not one but an ensemble of characters. They each have their different appearance, personality, and quirks. I guess because I like thinking of characters as a band of adventurers traveling together, I took ideas from my favorite RPGs and mixed and matched with other tropes to create my ensemble of characters.
aliensalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
SL is far from necessary. I'm here for enjoyment.

Amity already replied to this, and clarified. But I still think this is worth repeating because it's the right perspective ...and quite often forgotten.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
N+1 To try and play a pack of Tine using multiple avatars at once.

Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
kortee'nea

Quote:
I have more than one account because I want to create more than one character.

I don't RP, mind you, I just like creating characters, in a similar way an artist might sketch up a bunch of characters. You wouldn't question why an artist would want to draw more than one character, right?

I use separate accounts because that gives them a separate name, which makes them feel like a separate person. Otherwise it's just me changing my avatar, and I really, really rarely ever change my avatar, I take it pretty seriously. I use alts in the same way other people just wear different avatars

In the end it's no different than people who change their display name.

Different means to the same end.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Woke Woman

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

I'm pretty much just me. I made a couple of alts a little while back, and toyed with a couple of different personalities, but once I met my current (4 years strong!!!) partner, I use only Shiloh (which was always the 'me' avatar anyway) and spend most of my SL time with him or taking pretty pictures, which is my favorite hobby.

I think the idea of Roleplay is fun, and I love reading about it and envy those who are good at it, but I have a hard time getting outside of my own head. Too much of 'me' always creeps in, so every 'character' would just be the same, I think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Voice of Reason

Not Amused

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/30/2006
Client: Firestorm/CoolVL
Send a message via Skype™ to Spirits Rising
Now for a slight spanner in the works ....

While I have a few different accounts, only one truly uses more than one Avatar/Form (I interchange these terms and treat the actual accounts themselves as wholly separate from their appearances): That singular one being the same one linked to this oh so lovely forum account.

Originally I joined Second Life as an extension to my Role Playing on text based systems (the intent was to try and build the characters being used in Second Life, take snapshots and use those for my character profiles elsewhere). That shifted to actual Role Play in Second Life and over time I abandoned the characters I had rebuilt in favor of one in particular - one that was metamorphic in nature.

I still RP on the rare occasion and will have the character use different forms to suit a situation.

When out of character however? The many different Avatars/forms I have bought and pieced together serve a different purpose: Instead of their having wholly different personalities they each represent various facets of my own personality and are often used as a digital mood ring - often down to color variations for the furry ones.

Meh.
Spirits Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
SL has become to complicated, even for a resident that has ten years of in world experience.
It doesn't have to be. I manage to plod along just fine without mesh parts. I doubt I could get a job as a dancer at a club anymore, but... meh. The only reason to get into mesh body parts is if you're into that sort of thing. If you're not, don't. Me, I never got into mesh because it's just more complicated than I need to make my second life.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
My only remaining alt was an inquisition demon hunter who tried to use summon/bind demon only to discover that some demons know how to use summon/bind human and are quite good at it.

She's still rather annoyed at that. But the near immortality that comes with it is useful so it's not too much of a problem.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Swing Kid

*SLU Supporter*

Life is a cabaret old chum, come to the cabaret....

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November 8,2006
Business: Club Noir
Client: Singularity Alpha

Nope. Madison is pretty much me without the limits of the real world. I have alts but they are very rarely used. Sometimes I use one as a child. But, she's pretty much just the RL me as a kid.
Madison Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This: