Getting Social In VR - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Getting Social In VR

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Getting Social In VR

An interesting look at the current state of social VR:

Getting Social in VR

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
I has a sad. Not one of the VRs mentioned in the article has text. It's all voice. Which means those of use who have hearing loss can't use them.

That is a large part of what drove me out of SL. Sure I can use voice since I am not completely deaf but how many would not get frustrated (me included) when I have to ask them to repeat what they said several times before I can make out ALL the words. People think having to repeat is frustrating for them, think about how the person with hearing loss feels having to ASK.

When (or if) the devs finally wake up and realize they are excluding thousands of people by not including text, then they will have something worth spending my time and money on. Until then, there is no point in being in a textless VR for those who have hearing loss.

Quote:
About 2 to 3 out of every 1,000 children in the United States are born with a detectable level of hearing loss in one or both ears. More than 90 percent of deaf children are born to hearing parents. Approximately 15% of American adults (37.5 million) aged 18 and over report some trouble hearing.
Quote:
About 20 percent of Americans, 48 million, report some degree of hearing loss
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 2003
VR is still in it's infancy and will properly go in a direction that no one has even thought of yet. Think about mobiles phones when we first started to use them and how now they have evolved into becoming part of our lives.

I have no idea how you would use a keyboard to chat while using a VR headset at this point in time.
Saying that I've used AltSpace a few times and it was like being on a crowded room with everyone trying to speak at once.

Rec room was aimed more at kids not sure if I liked getting owned by some young teen kid while playing virtual paintball.
stora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am not convinced that the new VR centered around a headset is going to overtake and replace the virtual reality we have now using keyboard and mouse. For me, I do not use a virtual world like Second Life as a replacement or substitute for real life. I like it to be realistic and lifelike to a certain extent.

But if realism were at the top of my priority list for social interaction, I can just do that in real life. I understand how the addition of eye movement tracking can help with the virtual social interaction. But I like in Second Life being able to look people over without them knowing, or to look around at other things while having a conversation with someone. These are things that would be rude if I did them in real life- or in a virtual reality that tracked my eye movement. I understand that communicating with voice can provided a deeper emotional connection through communication. But for me, I am more comfortable if my Second Life friends are not too deeply emotionally attached to me. I care a great deal about my friends in Second Life, but I do like the fact that those relationships don't follow me when I log out of Second Life. And I don't think anyone can make a credible claim of falling in love with me based entirely on our Second Life interactions.

It's easier for me to be polite to strangers and acquaintances if they can't see me roll my eyes, hear my voice trail off, and if I can re-write my snippy reply with something more considerate before I press Enter.

I can use Second Life sitting down at my desk. I'd need to rearrange my whole room to be able to move around for body-tracking. I'd need to soundproof my room if I were going to use voice; my roommate doesn't need to hear what I'm doing.

There are plenty of people using Second Life now who prefer voice to using text, speak much easier than the write, would prefer to not to be bothered with AOs and gestures, who want to use VR to simulate RL, who want it to feel more natural. I am sure those people are going to love the new headset-based VR as a huge improvement over something like Second Life.
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Abnormally Normal
I Don't Really Exist Do I ?

My Mood:
Client: I try all of them, but for everyday use it's Cool VL Viewer.
point and click voice to text isn't possible ?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Indubitably

*SLU Supporter*

spaaaaaaaaace.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9-Jan-04
Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Zaius
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
I has a sad. Not one of the VRs mentioned in the article has text. It's all voice. Which means those of use who have hearing loss can't use them.
It's a requirement if your focus is VR headsets - typing on a headset/controller combo is really hard.

I do think it's a problem though - and I think the solution is somewhere along the lines of automatic voice recognition to allow voice users to participate in text chat (or vice versa.)
Old 07-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Zaius View Post
It's a requirement if your focus is VR headsets - typing on a headset/controller combo is really hard.

I do think it's a problem though - and I think the solution is somewhere along the lines of automatic voice recognition to allow voice users to participate in text chat (or vice versa.)
I have an additional problem with VR headsets. I absolutely must wear reading glasses so that what I see on a computer screen is in focus. From what I have seen of the headsets, none of them appear to take glasses into account. There are those people who can't wear contacts and until more recently there were no contacts for those who have astigmatism. Mine is very mild and I never really needed to wear glasses but as I get older my eyesight does get worse. I can no longer focus on very small items without reading glasses and even then, depending on how small, I can't focus without wearing readers that are far too strong for every day use.

Yes, it sucks to experience the effects of getting older but I'm not dead yet!

ETA: On voice recognition... As odd as this may sound, I am mic shy. And if you get me talking you may not be able to shut me up because I tend to chatter when I get nervous. Doesn't matter if it's on the mic or face to face. If I don't know you or know you well, I'm going to be nervous around you (general). That is the one thing about myself I have never been able to overcome.

Last edited by WolfEyes; 07-02-2017 at 04:04 PM.
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
Quote:
I have an additional problem with VR headsets. I absolutely must wear reading glasses so that what I see on a computer screen is in focus. From what I have seen of the headsets, none of them appear to take glasses into account.
I own an Oculus Rift headset, and my mother wears glasses. She has used it with no issues.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
I feel like the need to focus in VR may harm it, the same way it probably killed off 3D TV.

People like to do this sort of thing. They just all like to multi task. They like to watch TV while on the computer, or their phone, or playing a game or whatever. Like 3D TV, it's neat, but it essentially requires "full attention", which I feel like most people don't like to give for a lot of entertainment,

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 07-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

So basically what is being said is I would be wasting my time trying to use VR. It's not just the glasses thing. Good to know before I spent money on it. I probably should save what money I have in case I ever need a doctor once the ACA is gone.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I feel like the need to focus in VR may harm it, the same way it probably killed off 3D TV.

People like to do this sort of thing. They just all like to multi task. They like to watch TV while on the computer, or their phone, or playing a game or whatever. Like 3D TV, it's neat, but it essentially requires "full attention", which I feel like most people don't like to give for a lot of entertainment,

3D TV was a gimmick, which is why it never caught on very much. Until I had experienced VR with the Oculus Rift,I was always skeptical of it. I'm pretty jaded when it comes to tech. However, VR is just a completely different and incredible experience - one you can describe to someone but you have to experience it yourself to understand it. It defies explanation.

It is transformational. I am all in on it now, and I was completely ambivalent about it before. Once I am immersed in an environment, it is like nothing I've ever experienced before. It completely becomes the entertainment. My reactions to different experiences in it have totally surprised me, from laughter to crying to utter amazement.

I'm going to write a longer post about my experiences with VR soon, but suffice it to say, I think it is a profound change that has a tremendous amount of value and impact, even in its infancy.
2 Users Agreed:
4 Users Like This:
Old 07-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Random thought. Sometimes tech gets stuck. People have their surround sound setups for tv and movies but music is all in stereo. Quadrophonic died quickly.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-02-2017, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Facebook also invested time in making human-like avatars.
How cutting edge of them.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
♂♂

*SLU Supporter*

*Poof!*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25th May 2007

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Try using a VR or 3D headset with only one usable eye! Epic fail for the whole concept right there for me
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
♂♂

*SLU Supporter*

*Poof!*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25th May 2007

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
3D TV was a gimmick, which is why it never caught on very much. Until I had experienced VR with the Oculus Rift,I was always skeptical of it. I'm pretty jaded when it comes to tech. However, VR is just a completely different experience - one you can describe to someone but you have to experience it yourself to understand it. It defies explanation.

It is transformational. I am all in on it now, and I was completely ambivalent about it before. Once I am immersed in an environment, it is like nothing I've ever experienced before. It completely becomes the entertainment. My reactions to different experiences in it have totally surprised me, from laughter to crying to utter amazement.

I'm going to write a longer post about my experiences with VR soon, but suffice it to say, I think it is a profound change that has a tremendous amount of value and impact, even in its infancy.
We're looking to do more VR type content here at work. We've been asked on various occasions about how to adapt or create new content that works within these environments. There are various considerations not least of all the additional size we have to work in. It's not just HD its sometimes up to 6K with the increased rendering and computer performance power to create that size of content in the first place.
Scripting is also an issue. Non linear scripting and allowing for people to experience a concept rather than being driven through a linear story will become the norm eventually... It's certainly not there yet.

Working with high end tech to push the limits; and with Directors and their visions; and the Agencies, who are trying to shoehorn anything new into their media plans, is quite a challenge.

Here's our first major use of VR in a commercial project:

https://vrscout.com/news/watch-goril...eo-vr-headset/

Last edited by OrinB; 07-03-2017 at 07:16 AM.
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 07-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Indubitably

*SLU Supporter*

spaaaaaaaaace.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9-Jan-04
Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Zaius
Huh, you worked on that? Was really cool to watch when I saw it a while back.
Adam Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Though I am not excited about the headset-based VR for my personal use now, I don't think it's just a fad that may fizzle.

The educational and training technology that is now used in big expensive labs is on the path to being home usable and affordable. That itself makes a compelling future for the technology, even if it would not catch on for socialization or gaming.
Amity Slade is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
I own an Oculus Rift headset, and my mother wears glasses. She has used it with no issues.
To your knowledge does your mom have astigmatism or is she just near or far sighted?

Astigmatism is a defect in the eye caused by a deviation from spherical curvature, which results in distorted images, as light rays are prevented from meeting at a common focus.

My right eye has a tiny area that isn't spherically curved. It is, according to the optometrist, flat. Just that one teeny tiny spot.
ETA: In the past my eyes were always 20/20 left and 20/25 right. I have no clue what it would be now as I can't afford to get my eyes checked much less get prescription glasses. So I'm stuck with readers.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
Yes she does have an astigmatism. I do as well, but I wear contacts.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Yes she does have an astigmatism. I do as well, but I wear contacts.
Are they soft lenses? My mother had to wear the hard ones (before the softs ever hit the market). *shudders*
Old 07-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 2003
I have astigmatism and wear varifocal glasses.
I may be lucky but I can get by without wearing my prescription glasses.
stora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

What does THIS do?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/22/2007
Business: Unlabeled Omen
I wear soft lenses to fix astigmatism in my left eye and shortsight in my right eye. VR with the Vive works perfectly fine. It also works when wearing glasses but lenses are, of course, much more comfortable.
I use Bausch&Lomb soft day and night lenses and (shocking) wear them 4 weeks straight, take them out for the 4th weekend and pop in a new pair for another month. I used to have irritated eyes when I took them out for the night each day. No problems anymore since I put them in and keep em there.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI P7-L10 mit Tapatalk
Aria Dragonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
Quote:
Are they soft lenses? My mother had to wear the hard ones (before the softs ever hit the market). *shudders*
Soft lenses creep me out. I wear RGP (rigid gas permeable) - I've worn them since I was 12.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

What does THIS do?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/22/2007
Business: Unlabeled Omen
Quote:
Soft lenses creep me out. I wear RGP (rigid gas permeable) - I've worn them since I was 12.
What's so creepy about soft lenses?

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI P7-L10 mit Tapatalk
Aria Dragonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was doing some reading and was happy to discover there is laser and refractory surgery that could restore my sight to what was normal for me. But I doubt Medicaid would pay for it. All I can do is ask and the worst they can do is say no.
1 User Hugged You: