Getting Social In VR - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Getting Social In VR

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #26 (permalink)

My Mood:

Awards: 1
Gaming Guru 
I don't have the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive or all the cheaper clones that are currently out but I do have Galaxy Gear VR. Can use it without wearing my reading glasses, I actually tried it with them but the frames could be seen so I went without and a couple of adjustments later it worked fine.

I tried a couple of versions of software that allows Gear VR and Cardboard like devices to play SteamVR games and even though they worked it's not really worth the effort. Elite Dangerous looked fine but the text at times were barely readable. Tried a demo of a SteamVR game but don't remember the games name, I think it also works on Oculus, but it looked darker than the images that were shown of the game. The games made for Gear VR look a lot better but only have played a couple of demos so far.

I'm still waiting to see more about the Microsoft Windows headsets but its possible that they are for "Mixed Reality" and not just for VR. There are several of them coming from companies like Acer, ASUS, HP and Dell. Acer and HP already have their developers editions up for Pre-order and both are supposedly coming this August for $299 and $329. The HoloLens Dev Kit is $3,000.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...lReality_en_US

Looks like Samsung is going beyond their Gear VR with their own full headset for PC.

Samsung ExynosVR III Standalone Headset Revealed

Quote:
Visual Camp has also confirmed that ExynosVR III will include hand-tracking, voice recognition and even facial expression recognition.

Last edited by Edav Nomad; 07-04-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Edav Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
I was going to wait and see what Microsoft was going to offer but will be getting a Oculus Rift with their Touch controllers in a couple of weeks since there is currently a deal for $399.00 that is supposedly for 6 weeks. That is a $199 discount.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:29 AM   #28 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Nirans or development daily build
A good friend of mine needs quite radical vision correction in his glasses (much worse than mine) and he started by just wearing his Oculus DK over them. He got so hooked on VR that he ended up getting some custom lenses for it that incorporated his vision correction. It was expensive, took a lot of effort to find somebody who would make them for him and a couple of iterations before they were right but if VR continues to grow at its current rate I can see "corrected lenses for VR headsets" being a market that somebody will jump into - at which point the price of replacement lenses and the process of converting an optical prescription into a lens spec for a given VR rig may well become more accessible to the general market in the same way as the headsets themselves now are.
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Indubitably

*SLU Supporter*

spaaaaaaaaace.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9-Jan-04
Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Zaius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
A good friend of mine needs quite radical vision correction in his glasses (much worse than mine) and he started by just wearing his Oculus DK over them. He got so hooked on VR that he ended up getting some custom lenses for it that incorporated his vision correction. It was expensive, took a lot of effort to find somebody who would make them for him and a couple of iterations before they were right but if VR continues to grow at its current rate I can see "corrected lenses for VR headsets" being a market that somebody will jump into - at which point the price of replacement lenses and the process of converting an optical prescription into a lens spec for a given VR rig may well become more accessible to the general market in the same way as the headsets themselves now are.
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up adding some focal length correction dials to the headsets - they should be able to do that I imagine; esp. given the prevalence of eyesight problems.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:45 AM   #30 (permalink)

I have no status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Zaius View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up adding some focal length correction dials to the headsets - they should be able to do that I imagine; esp. given the prevalence of eyesight problems.
That would be a start, yes, and would account for about 80% of folks who are only near-sighted or far-sighted. It would also be relatively easy to build in axis adjustments to account for folks whose glasses prescription requires prism correction as well. However, astigmatism is common enough that the market for custom lenses with a specific cylinder correction should still be viable, once VR reaches sufficient "critical mass"
Old 07-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Not one of the VRs mentioned in the article has text. It's all voice. Which means those of use who have hearing loss can't use them.
And neither can those of us who can't talk.

Two years after surgery and I've lost most of my voice. I have good days and bad days, but I only speak when I have no other alternative for communication. I actively avoid it whenever possible.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #32 (permalink)

A new VR package is being released for $200

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...adset-for-2018
Georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #33 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgetown View Post
A new VR package is being released for $200

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...adset-for-2018
Yeah that's mid-range VR between Gear VR and the Oculus Rift.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
This captures the craziness that is VRChat:

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 07-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #35 (permalink)

I have no status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
...the craziness that is VRChat...
That's definitely a messiah on a pogo stick moment... and a picard-level facepalm... with lots of exclamation marks.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:25 AM   #36 (permalink)

I was born with lazy eye (amblyopia) that was not correctable with surgery or glasses. I am so interested in VR that I bought an Occulus Rift even though I though there was a very good chance it would not work for me at all. I am happy to report that it works just great! I can also report that glasses can be worn with an Occulus, unless they have really large frames.

I know a visor won't be for everyone but I have to say, walking through a virtual world with one is game changing in terms of immersion. Even so, I will want the option to be able to switch back to normal windowed mode too, and I'll probably use windowed mode more than the visor because I too prefer text conversations in world usually and often times I can not devote my entire attention to being in world, which the visor really requires.
gabby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby View Post
and often times I can not devote my entire attention to being in world, which the visor really requires.
Yeah, that's the deal-breaker for me when it comes to VR. I've always been a multitasker, running SL in a window while I do other things. I just can't devote 100% of my attention to something for a period of time without wanting to do something else during a "boring" stretch, or a stretch of time that doesn't require all of my attention.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Yeah, that's the deal-breaker for me when it comes to VR. I've always been a multitasker, running SL in a window while I do other things. I just can't devote 100% of my attention to something for a period of time without wanting to do something else during a "boring" stretch, or a stretch of time that doesn't require all of my attention.
Oculus has a virtual desktop which can show your 2D desktop in the world of the 3D envirment.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:07 AM   #39 (permalink)
Indubitably

*SLU Supporter*

spaaaaaaaaace.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Acer has a new AR+VR headset coming out later this year as part of MS's new virtual reality push which includes a flip-up display (and AR functions)

Downside: resolution is only 800x600 per eye, which is below what everyone else is doing by a factor of 4x (and reading text in VR is hard enough already unless it's huge.)
Adam Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:37 AM   #40 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
Oculus has a virtual desktop which can show your 2D desktop in the world of the 3D envirment.
If you have an Xbox One you can play games on what looks like a huge screen in a virtual room. You can also make the screen flat or curved. In one of the virtual rooms you can actually see reflections from the screen.

Last edited by Edav Nomad; 07-17-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #41 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Zaius View Post
I think you'll find that's already available. I was at a trade show last October and they had a OR with vision correction. I wear glasses and they adjusted it so i was fine using the headset without them.
Originally Posted by Nemo Quisquam View Post
"Sansar: come for the user created 3D content, stay forever in an endless cycle of attachment and disappointment!"
Couldbe Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-26-2017, 06:17 AM   #42 (permalink)
Indubitably

*SLU Supporter*

spaaaaaaaaace.

My Mood:
That's great to hear.
Adam Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #43 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
I wonder if such technology would allow us to get better prescriptions for eyes - because I have a hard time getting the right one, because I memorize fairly well, and well... hate being wrong/disappointing people. But if I could control the knobs, bet I'd get something that works.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby View Post
I know a visor won't be for everyone but I have to say, walking through a virtual world with one is game changing in terms of immersion.
This raises an interesting issue in terms of what different people need to feel immersed in another reality and the effect it has on us emotionally.

In SL I can see my own avatar, which continually reinforces the VR version of myself that I have developed with a lot of time and effort. Being "Beebo" is more than just a name for me: it's stepping into a body, a style, and a character role that emerged from changing fundamental aspects of my physical self.

Walking into a VR where I don't see myself is just... tourism. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not as emotionally captivating and life-altering as what I experienced by creating an avatar in SL.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 07-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #45 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
Walking into a VR where I don't see myself is just... tourism. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not as emotionally captivating and life-altering as what I experienced by creating an avatar in SL.
Half agree, half disagree. Full-screen mode in SL is involving in a whole different way -not any less in my opinion.

But yeah, I agree that something is missing when that is the only option you're presented with.

Full-screen -nice way to visit, wouldn't want to live that way.

[ETA] Also, idk about anyone else, but more than a few minutes in fullscreen mode and I end up with a screaming headache. Not something I'd want to pay hundreds of dollars for.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Quote:

Most of the VR worlds I've used let you see your avatar in third person, as SL does. I would not have expected it to be as emotionally captivating, but it is even more so. It's not something you can describe to someone - you have to experience it.
Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
Half agree, half disagree.
You can't disagree with what *I* feel. All you can do is comment on your feelings. You can say anything you want about how YOU feel, but it's not disagreement.

<grumble, grumble, grump>
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #48 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
You can't disagree with what *I* feel. All you can do is comment on your feelings. You can say anything you want about how YOU feel, but it's not disagreement.

Holy hell!

Run Beebo! Run for your life! I'm starting to rub off on you!
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:58 AM   #49 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:

I'm sorry -how about "Half feel the same way, half feel differently?"

"half see things the same way, half don't"?

Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-27-2017, 04:37 AM   #50 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
I'll be experiencing VR on August 9th since I got an E-mail yesterday from Amazon. It said that my Oculus Rift/Touch bundle will ship August 7.
1 User Said Yay!: