Ozimals forced to close - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Ozimals forced to close

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Pay up or the bunny gets it.

If content creators are indeed cashing out $60,000,000 a year making more money in SL than LL is, this probably won't be the last time something like this happens. It is shame that both parties did not try to find some sort of agreement before resorting to legal action, at least none that has been reported.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Thanks eku but l don't see why the horses are getting drubbed in current issue, whatever it is.
I posted the links not only for perspective (as I have said) but also to try to avoid speculation and all the crap that speculation could cause. The common denominator being Edward Distelhurst, the only tie between the Amaretto case and the current C&D that I am aware of.

Unless you guys are missing teh dramaz that bad?
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: Myficalities
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
It is shame that both parties did not try to find some sort of agreement before resorting to legal action, at least none that has been reported.
There is literally zero information about what may or may not have happened, how long the legal proceedings have been going, or what sort of negotiations and actions occurred prior to court rulings.

Speculations and suppositions about what may or may not have happened are at best a pointless waste of time and at worst, potentially harmful to the parties involved. Considering SLU's SEO, what starts as mild supposition here (i.e. your quoted text above) can very quickly become wild rumour, treated as fact.

There is exactly one thing certain in this matter, Ozimals is no more. Everything else is pure speculation.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Business: Solace Beach Estates
Client: Firestorm
I don't have a rabbit in this fight (see what I did there) as I stopped playing with my virtual bunnies years ago and they are relegated to a dark lost corner of my inventory. But I think it's pretty crappy to file a suit after years and years and cause thousands of people around the grid to lose their virtual pets. I mean seriously, SL is full of opportunities even with the crap that is LL management, and these individuals have scripting and 3D design talents I can only dream of having. Why not just make something else, the next big breedable and leave your old content be? Act like a human being instead of hurting tons of people.

Even if the people filing were in the right, what they did caused a greater wrong. Nothing warranted all these people losing their bunnies. If they could have sued without shutting down the bunnies that's one thing, heck I tried to take action against a creator who screwed me over, but in the end I got nothing while he continues to rake in the cash. I moved on and am now happily succeeding in my career OUTSIDE SL. In this case they got what they wanted...but I hope this pyrrhic victory tastes like ashes in their mouth.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-18-2017, 01:49 AM   #30 (permalink)

Never the same girl twice.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2010
Client: Second Life V3
I don't know anything about the legal wrangling here, but the Ozimals crew and community has been amazing through all this. It's just sad, all around.
Blaise Glendevon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:55 AM   #31 (permalink)
Mootles

Too drive to drink

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2004/2005
Client: c0ff33
Send a message via MSN to Nebula Send a message via Skype™ to Nebula
Horses are not rabbits? The horse people actually tried to take the bunny people to court? The horses always looked really terrible too... I would love for the chicken guy to come back and sue the horse people for justice.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #32 (permalink)
I am the Script Police!

*SLU Supporter*

post_count++;

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/01/2005
Business: The Wastelands
Client: Official Newest
Sorry for the delayed reply, we wanted to get all of our facts in order and properly reviewed before we made a public statement. As such here is our press release on the matter. We invite you to examine the facts and documentation, and decide for yourself.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #33 (permalink)
C.M.O. GoatWench

*SLU Supporter*

Loving Life

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2004

Awards: 1
Special Achievement In Hello Kitty Trolling 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoBokrug Elytis View Post
Sorry for the delayed reply, we wanted to get all of our facts in order and properly reviewed before we made a public statement. As such here is our press release on the matter. We invite you to examine the facts and documentation, and decide for yourself.
Thank you Neo. I'm sure this wasn't an easy decision or process to go through.

bronxelf: "Day is young. Patience, weedwhacker."

Pancake: "I'm not a Princess, I don't need saving. I'm a Queen, and I got this shit handled."
Alexa Lioncourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #34 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
If content creators are indeed cashing out $60,000,000 a year making more money in SL than LL is, this probably won't be the last time something like this happens.
Holy smoke I'm in the wrong line of work.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #35 (permalink)
adorabilis!

plurk this

My Mood:

A bunch of you are willing to throw people under the bus because your pixels got taken away. Remember, in SL, your pixels can be taken away any time if they're found to be from an unsavory source. It says specifically in my manual, "I will not make products with copyrighted images, because one day that My Little Pony blanket set could have its texture taken away, and you will be left with a plywood texture."

I am not saying that people didn't do due diligence in buying from Ozimals. There's only so much you can do, and sometimes fraud isn't as blatant as a copyrighted character is a prim. But people crying about how mean Aki and Neo took their bunnies-should they just sit there and take it up the ass because you like your toys?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
AvaAdore is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #36 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

x 1000.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #37 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Well, I read the documentation and neither side comes out looking good. Ozimals seems to be trying to minimize their profits to pay out as little as possible, but the other side is behaving relentlessly, trying to get more money because the company changed hands and even trying to take somebody's house. I thought personal assets are shielded by an LLC?

Ultimately I think this is still turning into Jarndyce v Jarndyce and they would have been better off walking away with a valuable lesson learned instead of taking people's bunnies. The only ones winning here are the attorneys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ayesha Lytton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #38 (permalink)

Superhero - Saving Newbies, Zoobys and Stray Prims.

My Mood:
The posted statement is an impressive insight into just how serious a second life business can become.

Stolen stuff, monster legal fees, people having to sell their own homes and court cases going on in multiple places with many generations of lawyers involved. Then to cap it all, someone else ends up with the bunnies and its that person who just got slapped down.

I thought that there were just two people in this fight, but it seems the actual battle ended long ago and the bunnies were passed to another - a third party. They were living on borrowed time.

However, perhaps there is now hope. It would seem that the ozimals and their intellectual content are now in the hands, or should be, of the "good guys (?)". Does this mean we could see all those frozen rabbits resurrected and ozimals restarted in some future date, in the hands of those who posted the statement.

I just want to see some hope for the rabbits and their owners. Now that this legal minefield seems settled, perhaps those who now own the property could continue things, or put out the infinite timepiece for owners who didn't get the message in time?
Chrono Cogshine is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
adorabilis!

plurk this

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha Lytton View Post
Well, I read the documentation and neither side comes out looking good. Ozimals seems to be trying to minimize their profits to pay out as little as possible, but the other side is behaving relentlessly, trying to get more money because the company changed hands and even trying to take somebody's house.

You need to read again. You missed the the scripter was not properly compensated for their work, work that has continued to make Ozimals a profit since 2009, and the house was a second house. These Ozimals idiots had years to get their shit together.
AvaAdore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #40 (permalink)

My Mood:

Failing to see how anyone can blame Aki and Neo (and possible et als) for pushing hard to get what's rightfully owed them.

Quote:
they would have been better off walking away with a valuable lesson learned instead of taking people's bunnies.
You've got to be fucking shitting me. Even if the pretty fuzzywuzzy bunnies remain roadkill, they are real people and were really fucked over. That's what matters.

They even apologized in their statement for the behavior of the people to blame and how it affected customers, so I think they've gone above and beyond.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaAdore View Post
You need to read again. You missed the the scripter was not properly compensated for their work, work that has continued to make Ozimals a profit since 2009, and the house was a second house. These Ozimals idiots had years to get their shit together.
I'm wondering if the second house was an actual second home/vacation home or a rental. Not that that detail makes any real difference. It's just one of those minor details that completes the picture. Either way, it's a really good feeling when you own your own home (and feels shitty when you no longer do*) and must feel doubly good when you own TWO.

I just can't bring myself to feel much, if any, sympathy for Ozimals. I can empathize but I have no sympathy. They had numerous opportunities and several years to make things right and they did everything they could to get out of doing the right thing, up to and including thousands of dollars ordered paid by the court that amounted to contempt fines because they were digging their heels in to avoid having to pay the piper.

* I know this from personal experience. Three times over.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 05-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #42 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Quote:
Well, I read the documentation and neither side comes out looking good. Ozimals seems to be trying to minimize their profits to pay out as little as possible, but the other side is behaving relentlessly, trying to get more money because the company changed hands and even trying to take somebody's house. I thought personal assets are shielded by an LLC?

Ultimately I think this is still turning into Jarndyce v Jarndyce and they would have been better off walking away with a valuable lesson learned instead of taking people's bunnies. The only ones winning here are the attorneys.
Are you fucking high? This revisionist bullshit is appalling. How awful of Aki and Neo to try to be fairly compensated and to get Ozimals to honor their contracts and obligations. According to the court documentation, Ozimals behaved so egregiously that they were repeatedly sanctioned for their behavior. Courts do not do that on a whim or without merit. Why shouldn't they have been "relentless" in order to get what was owed to them? Should they just have rolled over and played dead? If the bunnies are now useless, that is solely on Ozimals and customers should seek compensation from them.

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
I thought personal assets are shielded by an LLC
Depends on whether or not the company owners were operating at arms length or not. Uncle George who invested start up capital would probably be shielded from om cousin biff and cousin jeb's schenanigans. Cousin biff and jeb, not so much.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #44 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

My IANAL understanding - being an LLC would protect a company member's primary residence, from being seized by the court due to actions related to the company. Maybe second houses are fair game. But honestly I'm not sure it matters, since selling the second house was part of a settlement agreement between Ozimals and the plaintiff, and not like a judge's order. If I'm reading the thing right (which I may not be).
Old 05-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #45 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Oh they had two houses? I missed that. Still not sure if that would change what can be seized, but i feel less bad for them now. :-P
Ayesha Lytton is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
Old 05-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #46 (permalink)

My Mood:

You could try feeling bad for Aki and Neo.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #47 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtoyoutoo View Post
you people are still stupid enough to put money into this platform? if so you deserve to loose cash. SL is dead. Nothing to see, move along now.
Yet here you are.
Kamilah Hauptmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #48 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
Quote:
Oh they had two houses? I missed that. Still not sure if that would change what can be seized, but i feel less bad for them now. :-P
by the sounds of it Ayesha, you shouldn't feel bad for them at all. They had plenty of opportunity to pay up what was due and they decided not to.

That's on them. Not on Aki or Neo who were due money and went through the proper channels for years trying to obtain said money.

Yes, virtual bunnies are being killed in the process....sad day in SL, I get it. But these people have had to fight years for what was rightfully theirs and it all could have been avoided.
Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #49 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtoyoutoo View Post
you people are still stupid enough to put money into this platform? if so you deserve to loose cash. SL is dead. Nothing to see, move along now.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #50 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refreshing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Awards: 2
Supermodel of the World 
I want some loose cash!!!!!

Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
That's your own fault. I took your panties out of your mouth pages ago. Now you just like them there.
Lady Darnk Juniorette is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed: