Jelly Dolls - Six Months Later - Page 5 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Jelly Dolls - Six Months Later

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #101 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
And I don't disagree with any of that. Putting SL on Steam in its current condition would be inviting negativity. As much as I personally love SL as this kooky, weird public access thing, it has never, ever, been ready for prime time. (Although, it could be. If LL ever decided to get their shit together.)

I really do wonder if LL realized that (minus the parenthesis, of course. Pretty obvious they're still oblivious to that), or something else came up, or if their reasoning was something else altogether. I suppose we'll never know.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #102 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I was actually surprised to find that not much has changed in the default client in regards to how clunky and user unfriendly it is when I logged in recently, after a break of several years.

It's like LL just said fuck it, let's keep it stuck in a time capsule back when SL was seen as hot shit.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #103 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
I think maybe LL did get their shit together, at least their technical shit, and it is called Sansar. Meanwhile SL has become sort of their testing ground where they throw any crazy idea at the wall and looks to see what sticks.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #104 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
I think maybe LL did get their shit together, at least their technical shit, and it is called Sansar. Meanwhile SL has become sort of their testing ground where they throw any crazy idea at the wall and looks to see what sticks.
Eh, I suppose it's how you define "technical shit". Nothing I've seen from LL in the past few years, with regards to SL or Sansar, show LL as having any sort of shit together in areas that are critical.

I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but I am not seeing it.
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #105 (permalink)

I suspect that draw weight doesn’t quite give an accurate picture of the total resource consumption of a given avatar.

I have looked at the render cost of some of the latest mesh bodies and one in particular, Belleza, astounded me with a polygon count of 1,700,000. This is equivalent to the typical number of vertices you would find in a Zbrush sculpt or, put another way, equivalent to wearing 16 Maitreya bodies. While I won’t pretend to understand why the creator felt it necessary to use that much geometry in a body with no static keyframes, what I find truly puzzling is the draw weight of the person I inspected wasn’t much higher compared with those using other mesh bodies. It is clear that Linden Lab needs to update their render cost calculations with algorithms which better reflect the true impact on a user’s system – and that includes textures.

Consumers in general prefer to ignore the technical issues surrounding optimization. This is perfectly reasonable, as it is ultimately the creators who should be taken to task for releasing overly complex mesh. Unfortunately, in the absence of any hard limits imposed by Linden Lab, only the consumer is capable of punishing creators who choose not to be responsible content creators. In this, there is a lot Linden Lab can do to help educate the consumer.

One idea I would put forth is to implement a web interface similar to the armoury found in Blizzard’s World of Warcraft. This paperdoll interface would consist of a low resolution 3D figure representing your avatar rendered with webkit, an information box and item attachment slots showing each attachment you are wearing (i.e. head, neck, spine, etc).

The avatar 3D model can be tumbled around, panned and zoomed using the same Second Life camera controls that users are already familiar with. The item attachment slots contain the current attachments worn by the avatar in-world along with a render weight figure beside each slot. Users can drag attachments out of a slot and onto a pasteboard area to preview what their avatar looks like without that particular attachment. To encourage experimentation, manipulating attachments this way will have no effect on the avatar’s in-world appearance. Finally, the information box will display vitals like the total polycount, number of textures, and VRAM consumed by all occupied slots – all of which has a link to a wiki article when hovered over with the mouse cursor. The idea is to give the concerned consumer an easy to read breakdown of resources each attachment requires in order to spot potential culprits that may cause them to appear as a Jellybaby to others.

Ideally, this paper doll mechanism would be embedded in the marketplace and retroactively update with items found in the consumer’s shopping cart. For an example, a shopper who is interested in hats can add several such items to their cart which are then copied to the pasteboard. These can be placed into the head slot to gage the render cost of each item prior to checkout.

While this isn’t a perfect system by any means, some variation of this would go a long way towards providing consumers who choose not to ignore the problem with some rudimentary tools to help them make a more informed decision by identifying poorly optimized mesh.

At any rate, nothing will illustrate the predicament we all find ourselves in with respect to client performance issues better than tomorrow’s Fantasy Faire; arguably the most lag induced event of the year (with SLB as a close second). The endless combinations of non-optimized jewelry, attachments, structures, particles and scripted objects typical of the fantasy theme on display will surely test the best of gaming rigs out there.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #106 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Quote:
Originally Posted by laben core View Post
what I find truly puzzling is the draw weight of the person I inspected wasn’t much higher compared with those using other mesh bodies.
What was the number?
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #107 (permalink)
I wish I was drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conifer Dada View Post
What I think LL should do now as the second part of jelly dolls is to allow landowners to set a maximum draw weight for avatars entering their land. That would have an effect I'm sure!
I would imagine the places where this would actually be effective would be in the minority.
Tetsuryu Vlodovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #108 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Business: Solace Beach Estates
Client: Firestorm
So I decided to turn on the draw weight feature since I've been going to Fantasy Faire and I was curious what my draw weight would be and what others were. I also turned on jelly babies because of the high lag environment. I was shocked to find that I was almost 150K draw weight! So I looked at myself, OK I have mesh hair but it has a flexi add-on piece. I changed to all mesh hair. Went down about 10K. I'm still really high! I had on shoes with lots of tiny roses on them. I changed those out. Went down 10K. I was still well over 100 K for no apparent reason. I did have on jewelry that I had forgotten about which was made by a very prominent creator, someone I've seen on here. They make awesome stuff so I won't name them. I also had on a dress that was fairly elaborate but I don't know why it was that much.

Today I changed and I'm looking at myself now. I have on a very fancy mesh dress, mesh hair, a detailed masquerade mask, and two animated pets. Mesh feet and shoes. I'm only at 41K.

I've been going around the faire with a friend who is not at all savvy about these things. She put on what she said was a low lag outfit, and it sure looked like it would be. Textured clothing only, simple mesh hair, and a pair of old boots. She was 98K! I didn't say anything to her because how could I even explain it? It had to be just her shoes causing that.

My point is, there is no way for the average user to understand this stuff, including many people who have been in Second Life for 10 years like my friend. She was dressed very simply but everything was skewed by one pair of shoes that people were wearing six years ago when things were less laggy than they are now. It has basically made me give up on this as any type of useful measurement, although I am keeping jelly dolls on at 200K to browse the faire since it helps a little bit.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #109 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
I recently went to a sale by a well-known hair maker and in trying on demos was reminded of the fact that many of the hairs I bought there in the past were also render weight monsters.

It motivated me to discover EMO-tions and rediscover Truth. Those I bought there are generally around 2000 to 6000 while the lowest from the old place was around 30,000 and the highest two were near 100,000 by themselves.

An expensive discovery, but I've found some nice new looks out of it.

Aaand I said this twice in this thread. . Yeah, gotta go find Nemo now . . oooh, shiny!

Last edited by Gabriell Anatra; 04-28-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Redundant.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #110 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha Lytton View Post
My point is, there is no way for the average user to understand this stuff, including many people who have been in Second Life for 10 years like my friend. She was dressed very simply but everything was skewed by one pair of shoes that people were wearing six years ago when things were less laggy than they are now. It has basically made me give up on this as any type of useful measurement, although I am keeping jelly dolls on at 200K to browse the faire since it helps a little bit.
I see where you're coming from but not sure I entirely agree. My personal experience is that, on average, draw weight is down across the grid. There are exceptions, of course, and I imagine most of those are in the same boat as our friend, but I keep my jelly dolls cut-off at 80K and jelly dolls are in the minority (but I see a very noticeable performance boost).

That said, I agree 100% that LL has done a poor job of communicating to its userbase regarding draw weight, jelly dolls, and the impact that unoptimized content has on performance and this has limited the effect of features like jelly dolls and draw weight.
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #111 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
I see where you're coming from but not sure I entirely agree. My personal experience is that, on average, draw weight is down across the grid. There are exceptions, of course, and I imagine most of those are in the same boat as our friend, but I keep my jelly dolls cut-off at 80K and jelly dolls are in the minority (but I see a very noticeable performance boost).

That said, I agree 100% that LL has done a poor job of communicating to its userbase regarding draw weight, jelly dolls, and the impact that unoptimized content has on performance and this has limited the effect of features like jelly dolls and draw weight.

Most the jellydolls I've seen have been kid avies.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:26 AM   #112 (permalink)

What a folking boat!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1 29 2013
Business: the Sail Loft
As a general rule, 'rigged' or 'fitted' hair will have a lower render weight than 'unrigged' hair (if you can move the hair with edit, it's unrigged). Flexi bits, of course, send the RW through the roof. Short hair is almost always unrigged.

I've found low render weight hair at Argrace, Ayashi, Catwa, Chemistry, EMO-tions, Exile, Magika, Mina, Monso, Tableau Vivant, and Truth. Ayashi wins for having the most, in fact their unrigged hairs are often low RW (I said it was a "general" rule ). You just have to like the anime look.

On a not-quite-unrelated side note, as a sailor, I'm also concerned with LoD since people are often looking at me from across a sim or two. For some reason, rigged hair seems to always have better LoD.
Trifina is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #113 (permalink)
Quietly watching

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/24/2007
Client: PoundLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha Lytton View Post
There are mostly sensible reasons why render weight works as it does, but it requires one to investigate the why themselves. It's not difficult for the average user to understand, but it also isn't obvious for those who don't already have the know how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifina View Post
For some reason, rigged hair seems to always have better LoD.
This would be because rigged items only use the highest LOD.
Vaelissa Cortes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatars , optimization , performance