THE STUPIDITY OF LINDEN LAB - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » THE STUPIDITY OF LINDEN LAB

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #51 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
Welcome to SLU.

I'm a regular in the Official forums, too, though primarily in Scripting and the Help section (though sometimes I dip my toe into General Discussion). I've also been a regular in SLU for many years. You don't have to choose between one and the other, or at least I've never felt the need to.

I was grateful for your explanation of the OP. Thank you. I think, though, that some people -- including me, I have to say -- were struck by the contrast between the effort and thought you'd put into turning his post into something coherent and the triviality of the material with which you'd had to work.

He's cross because the migration is taking longer than expected, and for some reason came here to vent about it. As I've said several times in another thread, I'm irritated it's taking so long but since I recall how badly things have been broken in previous migrations, I'm glad they're taking the time to get it right on this occasion.
I remember reading you sometimes in General Discussion, the area that I mostly frequent, I am glad to see you here. you are right, many SL forums are open to us, we don't have to choose. I guess I stayed in the Official forums for reasons of nostalgia, it was the first SL forum I ever went.

I guess I overthink a trivial topic, I found it very confusing on the surface and felt the need to make it as clear as possible for all people to understand. I may have to evaluate the triviality of certain posts and level of confusion before I try to fix it.

I'm with you also in that I prefer a job well done, even if I have to put my patience to the test. Glad to see you here.
Canoro Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
4 Users Like This:
Old 03-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #52 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoro Philipp View Post
I am not an alt, I am a person who was not interested in SLU for years, was a regular of the Official forums. since the Official forums are down I had to resource coming here..
I used to be a regular on the official forums many years ago, back before they migrated from - vBulletin, I think it was? I can't remember. Anyways, when they migrated to that horrific forum/blog ("flog", as I liked to call it), I pretty much parted ways.

I still say Hi to the Forum Cartel in-world whenever I poke my head in.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #53 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Levenque View Post
Well, shoot. I wish I'd been online sooner; been a rather busy day.

Canoro is not (I'm pretty sure) some regular SLU person's alt. He's been a more or less regular contributor to the official SL forum for several years that I know of. He's also a pretty nice guy, although he does tend to get wordy about things that he suspects other people might not understand (well, you DO, Canoro).

Not being familiar with the base here, he may have assumed nobody got the "cultural" references in the OP. That was of course not the case; you all got it, you were just responding, or anti-responding, to the tenor of the OP itself. As was I.

And last, English is not his mother tongue, so if he phrases things in an unusual fashion chalk it up to that. And Hi, Canoro. Nice to see you. These people are pretty nice, and also very very smart.

ETA: I got in a hurry and did not read Innula's most recent post above, or I'd have known my explanation had already been given, using approximately 30% of the text I found necessary to no surprise. Oh well.
hi Dillon, nice to see you too, I guess I have to reevaluate my tendencies to make them somehow more easily to digest by most. I notice how friendly people are with each other here, it's refreshing. I probably going to come here to comment in some topics, I guess this time we are spending without the Official forums made me look in areas that I didn't usually had the curiosity to explore. here seems a nice place.
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #54 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
I used to be a regular on the official forums many years ago, back before they migrated from - vBulletin, I think it was? I can't remember. Anyways, when they migrated to that horrific forum/blog ("flog", as I liked to call it), I pretty much parted ways.

I remember the times of vBulletin, sometimes it was chaotic, sometimes it was a blast, I was a little hurt when everything changed afterwards, but still, decided to stay in the familiar "home" that captured my heart, the Pie Cartel in General Discussion. I have my hopes that the new forums would mean a new beginning, a fertile soil that would make the community thrive.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #55 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post

I pretty much left the SL forum when LL changed the format back in... what was it... 2006/7.... somewhere in there. It was the very first format change. The original forum was fun but it all went downhill after that.

ETA: My fondest memory was when Anshe went off her rocker after LL banned her from the grid for non-payment. That was the first time I ever actually enjoyed watching someone melt down.

ETA2: And welcome to SLU Canoro.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #56 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refreshing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Awards: 2
Supermodel of the World 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoro Philipp View Post
I notice how friendly people are with each other here, it's refreshing.
Statements like these are hell for our hivepit of mindvipers rep.

WE ARE BIG FAT MEENIE DOO DOO HEADS!!!

Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
That's your own fault. I took your panties out of your mouth pages ago. Now you just like them there.
Lady Darnk Juniorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #57 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Darnk Juniorette View Post

Shhhhh DarnkDarnk. You'll skeer him off.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #58 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Darnk Juniorette View Post

I guess I have to make use of a thick skin then, no special snowflake here.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #59 (permalink)
Nan

"I feel like SL but BETTER"

My Mood:
Linden said they could and would ban people for their Forum postings -- so having the whole thing gone is like the mass ban I figured would come one day.

AnnMarie is gone , Prok seems to be MIA.

One by one. Darkness and silence.

Just don't screw with my Lola's -- I love watching shadows with my physics on.

I save a fortune not having to buy the wind trees.
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #60 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Linden said they could and would ban people for their Forum postings....
You know, I've been on SLU (and SC before that) for so long that I'd forgotten why I left the official forums. And it was this.

The irony is that I never posted anything remotely controversial (at least in regard to LL or SL itself), but at the time I was so enraptured by SL that even the possibility that I might lose access due to some post on the forums was enough to silence me completely. Why even take the chance?

Then Aimee Weber mentioned Second Citizen in a post and off I went to check it out. I never looked back.
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #61 (permalink)
Moo

SL Join Date: 8/8/2006
Client: Shenanigans
Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Tucker
The Copyright footer says Invision Power Services, Inc. So I'm guessing once they they turn it on they are going to be using IPB? It's a perfectly fine old style forum not much different from vBulletin. Nothing to complain about.
Dante Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #62 (permalink)
Hybrid Angel

*SLU Supporter*

Sutats Tide

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
You know, I've been on SLU (and SC before that) for so long that I'd forgotten why I left the official forums. And it was this.

The irony is that I never posted anything remotely controversial (at least in regard to LL or SL itself), but at the time I was so enraptured by SL that even the possibility that I might lose access due to some post on the forums was enough to silence me completely. Why even take the chance?

Then Aimee Weber mentioned Second Citizen in a post and off I went to check it out. I never looked back.
And the rest is history.

Grady's Flickr
GradyE is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #63 (permalink)
Hybrid Angel

*SLU Supporter*

Sutats Tide

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15-06
And yes, the idea that LL might ban one from SL because of a forum comment was a stunningly obtuse policy.
GradyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #64 (permalink)
Voice of Reason

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/30/2006
Client: Firestorm/CoolVL
Send a message via Skype™ to Spirits Rising
Yeah. They abandoned their stance concerning a Forum ban equaling a service wide ban.

How do I know? Personal experience.

Amusingly though, their so called "permanent" ban for the Forum? Not really permanent. More like a couple of years at most.

Again, personal experience.

Last edited by Spirits Rising; 03-12-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Spirits Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #65 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyE View Post
And yes, the idea that LL might ban one from SL because of a forum comment was a stunningly obtuse policy.
As I recall, the idea was floated by Jack Linden years ago, though I'm not at all sure it ever became official policy.

Certainly when once, a few years after Jack left, I mentioned it to Viale Linden, who was then involved in both running the Adult Content User Group (which is how I knew him) and managing the Forums, he'd never heard of this and thought I was joking.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #66 (permalink)
In ur threadz...

...trollin ur postz!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Tucker View Post
The Copyright footer says Invision Power Services, Inc. So I'm guessing once they they turn it on they are going to be using IPB? It's a perfectly fine old style forum not much different from vBulletin. Nothing to complain about.
Hah, you must be new here

"Privatize" Windows10: Clara's Techstuff

Support SLU with stuff for your RL: https://society6.com/sluniverse

Squirrel!

Hakuna Potato
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #67 (permalink)
In ur threadz...

...trollin ur postz!

My Mood:

The banning got downgraded in the days after Strife left/quit/whatever to "you'll be made to feel unwelcome."

Hilarity ensued.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #68 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

I don't think I ever had a real problem with the official forums personally - I mean, I was certainly never banned or anything like that. I decided to stop using them when the teen grid was merged with the adult one, meaning that minors were gonna start interacting there. I didn't really feel okay staying in light of that, especially since I use a kid avatar in-world.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #69 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
The banning got downgraded in the days after Strife left/quit/whatever to "you'll be made to feel unwelcome."

Hilarity ensued.
Nope, this was a subsequent occasion, I'm sure. I'm pretty sure Strife stopped moderating the very old forums before I started in SL, but I certainly recall Jack Linden's idea to punish misconduct in the forums with in-world bans and suspensions because I remember being given a vivid account of the meeting by someone who was there (I won't say who) because of the particularly imaginative and unflattering language she used to describe Jack at the time.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #70 (permalink)
In ur threadz...

...trollin ur postz!

My Mood:

Quote:
Nope, this was a subsequent occasion, I'm sure. I'm pretty sure Strife stopped moderating the very old forums before I started in SL, but I certainly recall Jack Linden's idea to punish misconduct in the forums with in-world bans and suspensions because I remember being given a vivid account of the meeting by someone who was there (I won't say who) because of the particularly imaginative and unflattering language she used to describe Jack at the time.
Cat Linden, I think it was? She didn't last very long

Memory is a little fuzzy on order of events on the timeline indicating the various stages of decay. I didn't mean right after Strife moved on, but sometime in the tumultuous times after.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #71 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Cat Linden, I think it was? She didn't last very long

Memory is a little fuzzy on order of events on the timeline indicating the various stages of decay. I didn't mean right after Strife moved on, but sometime in the tumultuous times after.
Strife and, I think, the reign of Cat the Terrible were both before my time, or before I was particularly aware of what was going on in the official forums.

Jack Linden and his bright of idea of banning people from going inworld, whether temporarily or permanently, for misbehaviour in the forums came well after that, I'm certain. I remember a lot of people left the official forums for good over that because they weren't prepared to risk their accounts over someone getting upset about something they'd written in a forum post.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #72 (permalink)
It's me.

*SLU Supporter*

Just another muppet.

SL Join Date: March 2007
Client: Official browser
Quote:
Jack Linden and his bright of idea of banning people from going inworld, whether temporarily or permanently, for misbehaviour in the forums came well after that, I'm certain. I remember a lot of people left the official forums for good over that because they weren't prepared to risk their accounts over someone getting upset about something they'd written in a forum post.
One of them was me.
I never was a LL fanboy, so I wisely decided to tiptoe out of the official forums.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #73 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Strife and, I think, the reign of Cat the Terrible were both before my time, or before I was particularly aware of what was going on in the official forums.

Off hand I don't remember the time frame but I do remember a few people getting suspended/banned on the forum and discovering they had also been suspended/banned inworld as well. Because of that I started looking at the forum again (at that point I had no real use for the forum) and after seeing how harshly they dealt with people, I never went back. I think I had a handful of posts at that point, certainly less than 10. SLU became my home. I was never on SC but on occasion I did poke my nose in over at SCII.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #74 (permalink)
Moo

SL Join Date: 8/8/2006
Client: Shenanigans
Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Tucker
Quote:
Hah, you must be new here
Nope not here nor the original forums. I was just talking about the software. I understand people complaining about LL's shit policies all day long

All I meant was it's a step back in the right direction from the last junk LL was running as forums.
Dante Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #75 (permalink)
In ur threadz...

...trollin ur postz!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Tucker View Post
Nope not here nor the original forums. I was just talking about the software. I understand people complaining about LL's shit policies all day long

All I meant was it's a step back in the right direction from the last junk LL was running as forums.
Was being sarcastic, we can ALWAYS complain.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed: