THE STUPIDITY OF LINDEN LAB - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » THE STUPIDITY OF LINDEN LAB

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
I have a feeling Cris would be quite willing to provide the Lab with a serviced board for $10k/mo..
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
2 Users Disagreed:
Old 03-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #27 (permalink)
adorabilis!

plurk this

My Mood:

Awards: 1
Special Achievement In Hello Kitty Trolling 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
I have a feeling Cris would be quite willing to provide the Lab with a serviced board for $10k/mo..
I don't think he would, actually.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
AvaAdore is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 03-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

300ft above sea level

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoro Philipp View Post
if I may, I might be able to explain the OP's point of view:

the first part is the complain: "Congratulations Ebbe, you've managed to wreck the official SL forums, replace it with NADA and even your Sansar's nowhere near.."

this means that s/he is complaining that the official Second Life forums are not working, and Sansar is not publicly available either, which at this moment that seems to be a problem.

"oh wait, sitcom starting on TV" we are now are going to see the complain with a little bit of humor in a style of the MTV TV show "Beavis and Butthead", if you haven't see it, there are some examples of it in Youtube, it's about two guys who are not very brilliant:

the Forumworm and Mrs Worm are typical of what Beavis and butthead would watch on their TV, the TV program starts with an announcement of Linden Lab that they want to destroy Second Life and damage the residents, in the conversation between the worms, who just listen the announcement, Forumworm understands the message while Mrs Worm deny it, claiming that Linden Lab intentions would never be like that.

after the worms scene ends, we are moved to the next scene where there is supposedly Ebbe and Gavin talking about the future of virtual reality in a very simple way, presented as the main characters of the show Beavis (Ebbe) and Butthead (Gavin), they are presented as those characters because the OP wants to present them as not so brilliant.

the following dialog between them doesn't have to be very smart, in accordance to the MTV show characters, and in accordance with how the OP wants to present Ebbe and Gavin.

in summary: the OP thinks that Ebbe and Gavin are not very brilliant based on the result that the Official Second Life forums are not usable at this moment and neither is Sansar.
Way TL;DR, as with the OP. As far as I can tell it's just:

New SL forums: BAD
Sansar: BAD
LL: BAD
Details? Examples? HELL NO!
And a big helping of howling madness of mad, wrapped up in a pointless dream sequence.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
So yeah, Lithium is breathtakingly expensive, like $8-1000/month. The biggest mystery is that they went with in th the first place. This migration, as messy and embarrassing as it is probably is for somebody at LL, is still going to save them a lot of money. Anything that drives down the cost of providing SL is ultimately good for us.
OK, to be transparent, my daughter works for Lithium and has often mentioned the "SL connection".

Lithium's platforms, however, work. They work well.

Some pretty major clients are more than happy to pay for a product that, you know, works. And where customer support is pretty good (which is why Lithium are doing very well).

But Lithium, understandably, are not going to make it easy peasy for a client to then go for something different. If SL wants to migrate, then this is not Lithium's problem.

Whether a different, cheaper platform saves them money is not, yet, a foregone conclusion.

I am trying to refrain from passing on some comments about Linden Labs as a client that I might have heard.

Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
What LL is experiencing in switching over to a new forum format is not much different than what SyFy went through years ago when doing the same thing. Lots of people lost the ability to log in and those that could had to create new accounts. Which is why I finally stopped posting there. They "lost" my years old account and I never could get a new one to work even with using a different email and changing IP. Couldn't even get a new account to work after moving 2500 miles with a completely different ISP and email.

Hopefully, for those that still care, this change over won't be as bad as that.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #31 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
if I may, I might be able to explain the OP's point of view
Old 03-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #32 (permalink)

My Mood:
I am not an alt, I am a person who was not interested in SLU for years, was a regular of the Official forums. since the Official forums are down I had to resource coming here..
but yeah, explanations don't count here, so I'll adapt to the style of posting here:

Canoro Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Awww:
1 User Groaned:
Old 03-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
Ho hum

My Mood:
Quote:
LINDEN LAB: Huh huh, we gonna screw you residents. Screw you! Huh huh, destroyin SL for fun n profit since 2010!
Why 2010?
Old 03-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan Took View Post
Why 2010?
Mesh is evil.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #35 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Darned coffeebotting gleefurs!!

Old 03-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #36 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

300ft above sea level

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Quote:
I am not an alt, I am a person who was not interested in SLU for years, was a regular of the Official forums. since the Official forums are down I had to resource coming here..
but yeah, explanations don't count here, so I'll adapt to the style of posting here:
I personally gave up on the official forums great-?great?-grand-parent, and haven't gone back unless pointed to a specific post from here or google.

As far as explanations 'counting'... well doesn't that kind of depend upon what's being explained? The OP is angry. Whether that's an 'off their meds' issue or 'bad day' issue or just an allergic reaction to change and failed expectations... or some combination... who knows. The OP doesn't really give us much to go on.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #37 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsy Pendragon View Post
I personally gave up on the official forums great-?great?-grand-parent, and haven't gone back unless pointed to a specific post from here or google.

As far as explanations 'counting'... well doesn't that kind of depend upon what's being explained? The OP is angry. Whether that's an 'off their meds' issue or 'bad day' issue or just an allergic reaction to change and failed expectations... or some combination... who knows. The OP doesn't really give us much to go on.
nice to meet you, since we are regulars of different SL forums our interactions are rare.

I posted an explanation because everybody seem to not understand the OP. I was doing them a favor. was too much bla bla bla, it seems the style of posting here is "keep it short, keep it fun".

yeah, the OP was just venting the frustration s/he had with Linden Lab.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #38 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Quote:
... it seems the style of posting here is "keep it short, keep it fun".
Er... no. You may need to be around a little longer, but this is not necessarily true.

On SLU you get fun, definitely. You also get some excellent, in-depth discussion.

However, it does help if new people don't reach conclusions about SLU based on a couple of posts of threads.

Welcome, anyway.
Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
adorabilis!

plurk this

My Mood:

Special Achievement In Hello Kitty Trolling 
I perfectly understood the OP's gripe; what eluded me was the reason to put it into some racist mammy/chile format.
AvaAdore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #40 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne Korda View Post
Er... no. You may need to be around a little longer, but this is not necessarily true.

On SLU you get fun, definitely. You also get some excellent, in-depth discussion.

However, it does help if new people don't reach conclusions about SLU based on a couple of posts of threads.

Welcome, anyway.
the more I stay, the more I learn.

I'll get the hang of it.

thanks for the welcome.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #41 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
nice to meet you, since we are regulars of different SL forums our interactions are rare.

I posted an explanation because everybody seem to not understand the OP. I was doing them a favor. was too much bla bla bla, it seems the style of posting here is "keep it short, keep it fun".

yeah, the OP was just venting the frustration s/he had with Linden Lab.
We understood it. Just isn't much point in venting about it on SLU.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #42 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Quote:
but yeah, explanations don't count here, so I'll adapt to the style of posting here
If that OP was an example of that person's usual postings, it's obvious LL took down the forums just so they wouldn't have to put up with such nonsense.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #43 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007
Client: Firestorm

Quote:
the more I stay, the more I learn.

I'll get the hang of it.

thanks for the welcome.
In case you didn't get the sekrit memo, all gifs have to be in lolcat formats.

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last edited by crazy; 03-11-2017 at 04:36 PM.
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #44 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
In case you didn't get the sekrit memo, all gifs have to be in lolcat formats.

got it.

(hey, I'm already getting the hang of it)
Old 03-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
So yeah, Lithium is breathtakingly expensive, like $8-1000/month.

Assuming your correction of $800-1,000/month is in fact the range of LL's payment to Lithium, that is not "breathtakingly expensive." That's $12,000 a year, which is a modest expense for any tech service if you're a company as large as LL.

To put this in perspective, the Lithium fee is equivalent to the tier for 3.5 sims, and the forums are a bedrock basic feature to offer your online game/service consumers.

If, on the other hand, you intended to say $8,000-10,000/mo, that's edging into pricey and yet that is STILL not ridiculously expensive compared to many enterprise-level licensing/use fees.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #46 (permalink)

Rawr

My Mood:
Client: SL Viewer 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
Assuming your correction of $800-1,000/month is in fact the range of LL's payment to Lithium, that is not "breathtakingly expensive."
yes i'm really sorry for the fog in my head. $8,000 - $10,0000 is what i meant.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 03-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
yes i'm really sorry for the fog in my head. $8,000 - $10,0000 is what i meant.
Thanks, that makes a LOT more sense in terms of what I would expect an enterprise-level license/service to cost.

And it's still not breathtakingly expensive. We're not talking consumer features and prices here, so you have to adjust your expectations to another business level entirely.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #48 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Welcome to SLU.

I'm a regular in the Official forums, too, though primarily in Scripting and the Help section (though sometimes I dip my toe into General Discussion). I've also been a regular in SLU for many years. You don't have to choose between one and the other, or at least I've never felt the need to.

I was grateful for your explanation of the OP. Thank you. I think, though, that some people -- including me, I have to say -- were struck by the contrast between the effort and thought you'd put into turning his post into something coherent and the triviality of the material with which you'd had to work.

He's cross because the migration is taking longer than expected, and for some reason came here to vent about it. As I've said several times in another thread, I'm irritated it's taking so long but since I recall how badly things have been broken in previous migrations, I'm glad they're taking the time to get it right on this occasion.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 03-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #49 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
"oh wait, sitcom starting on TV" we are now are going to see the complain with a little bit of humor in a style of the MTV TV show "Beavis and Butthead", if you haven't see it, there are some examples of it in Youtube, it's about two guys who are not very brilliant:
I've seen Beavis and Butthead. I lose brain cells every time it comes on.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #50 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
Well, shoot. I wish I'd been online sooner; been a rather busy day.

Canoro is not (I'm pretty sure) some regular SLU person's alt. He's been a more or less regular contributor to the official SL forum for several years that I know of. He's also a pretty nice guy, although he does tend to get wordy about things that he suspects other people might not understand (well, you DO, Canoro).

Not being familiar with the base here, he may have assumed nobody got the "cultural" references in the OP. That was of course not the case; you all got it, you were just responding, or anti-responding, to the tenor of the OP itself. As was I.

And last, English is not his mother tongue, so if he phrases things in an unusual fashion chalk it up to that. And Hi, Canoro. Nice to see you. These people are pretty nice, and also very very smart.

ETA: I got in a hurry and did not read Innula's most recent post above, or I'd have known my explanation had already been given, using approximately 30% of the text I found necessary to no surprise. Oh well.

Last edited by Dillon Levenque; 03-11-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Please don't ask
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You: