Why do you guys think there are little to no furries in SL promotional materials? - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Why do you guys think there are little to no furries in SL promotional materials?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #51 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
I do think it's important to note that while I believe SL's marketing over the years has been...ineffective, to the point where they've probably done more harm than good, I still believe the larger issue is that if LL had not been entirely tone def to content creation, both the creative aspects and the technical aspects, SL would market itself and actually be able to retain those who came to check it out firsthand.

SL is so many different things, to so many different people, I really don't believe LL could maintain a coherent marketing campaign that managed to convey all of it to the right audiences. But once you're already on the SL website or logging in for the first time, there's just so much more LL could do to help people find their way to the content and communities that interest them.

I've heard so many people complain "there's nothing to do" in SL that it might as well be their marketing slogan.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #52 (permalink)

Δ

Business: Luca's Mesh Foundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
Do they need to advertise to furries? That's the question you should be considering.

When we're talking about niche lifestyles, hobbies, fetishes, etc, it's my observation that the people involved in those things tend to become at least passingly familiar with the range of venues, opportunities, etc, that are open to folks in the field. Basically, furries talk to other furries. They go to conventions, visit websites, post on message boards, they network. This is what people in niche groups do. They form communities and those communities talk about things and share ideas relevant to their interests. Although I don't have hard data, I would be willing to bet that the average furry has a greater likelihood to be aware of SL than the average non-furry. The Lab doesn't advertise using furries because by and large, they are already aware of SL, are already customers or have decided against it.

But, you say, what about potential furries? What about the odd individual here and there who wants to be a wolf but for some reason never got involved in furrydom? What about people who have never even considered it but might find it fun, you never know until you try, right? Well bluntly, for the typical person furries are kind of weird and offputting. Whether or not their reputation is warranted is irrelevant, that reputation exists and it's something the Lab no doubt considers in their advertising. They have to look at the demographic they're mainly targeting and consider not just what will attract them but also, what will alienate them If they're going for mainstream appeal like they seem to be, furries would be a misstep.*

* -- It occurs to me though, the live action Beauty and the Beast might change that. The Lab tend to be fairly responsive to whatever is "hot" and if the film is successful we might start seeing furries in their ads.
I was talking about furries who are not aware of SL, but yeah I do agree with your point that there's a higher likelihood for furries to know about SL than non-furries in general, which is why I was a little surprised when I found out the group of furries I was talking about who weren't aware of SL then.
lucagrabacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:47 AM   #53 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
Client: Flavor of the week
A bit on the side of topic:

I have thought LL was uninterested in how avatars look, since their ads show avatars that's not up to date.

But maybe it is on purpose. They can't show avatars that cost 20 000 L and still market SL as free for all? Would be a disappointment for newbies who meet snobs (and we know there are many snobs in SL).

I am not sure of the furries market prices, their bodies and heads is much cheaper than human body parts. Still, I am under the impression that furries spend a lot of time, thought and money on their look, am I right? We are not talking old prim avatars here, right?

LL does not show their full range of starter avatars in the ads either. Some look good.
"My opinion is, a designer should always try to enhance the inworld experience for his clients. In a virtual world, where individuality is hard to obtain, selling modifieable items is like selling a bit of freedom. Think about that." ~Silent Sky
Marianne Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:30 AM   #54 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Typical price for a furry avatar is L$800-L$900, you can get a Tiny for L$350 and many avatar makers have boxes of retired avatars for L$1.

Non-furry animal avatars that require a full set of animations to work are typically more like L$3000 and are considered expensive.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #55 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Little View Post
A bit on the side of topic:

I have thought LL was uninterested in how avatars look, since their ads show avatars that's not up to date.

But maybe it is on purpose. They can't show avatars that cost 20 000 L and still market SL as free for all? Would be a disappointment for newbies who meet snobs (and we know there are many snobs in SL).
Again, I think you're giving LL far too much credit.

Unless I'm mistaken, Oz is currently in charge of SL development. He was the one publicly complaining that fitmesh was a waste of his time because he felt no one would ever use it.

I know it's hard to believe, but LL is really that clueless.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #56 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
Again, I think you're giving LL far too much credit.

Unless I'm mistaken, Oz is currently in charge of SL development. He was the one publicly complaining that fitmesh was a waste of his time because he felt no one would ever use it.

I know it's hard to believe, but LL is really that clueless.
I've seen Oz speak, he's breathtakingly tone deaf.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:35 AM   #57 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Quote:
Why do you guys think there are little to no furries in SL promotional materials?
Because if LL decided to take the time to market to furries, the only possible result would be to attract more furries to sign up.

And we are an insanely obscure and small niche not worth marketing toward.

And that's perfectly OK imho. I don't wanna see SL's attempts at marketing to furries anyway.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #58 (permalink)
FS Dev

Limited Edition Serious Pirate CEO Cat Supreme with Rainbow Skurvy Sprinkles and Bacon

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Most furries, the vast majority, don't have costumes. They don't look different from anyone else in RL. The ones who do cosplay are called "fursuiters".
An apt compassion: how many fans of [insert any popular fiction franchise here] dress up as characters in that universe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
Because if LL decided to take the time to market to furries, the only possible result would be to attract more furries to sign up.

And we are an insanely obscure and small niche not worth marketing toward.

And that's perfectly OK imho. I don't wanna see SL's attempts at marketing to furries anyway.
About what I was going to say. Its a small number of a small number.

If they were going to market to furries, they will be much more effective doing direct ad banner campaigns on the popular furry sites. IMVU does this (I've had to make special ad block rules to block that uncanny valley shit).

Hell, I was even considering funding an SL ad banner campaign on FA and some others myself, but really for that to be worthwhile, it would require a 3rd party furry landing page with guides and a non-LL places and groups directory. Would anybody be interested in such a thing?
Kadah Coba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #59 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Quote:
Not disagreeing with the general gist of what you're saying, but had to say that it seems to me that you're giving the Lab an awful lot of credit that I'm not sure is warranted.

LL has their finger on the pulse like an aging ad executive who thinks we need a rapping dog in our marketing to appeal to the youth of today.
Don't mistake not targeting the demographics you personally would prefer Linden Lab to target, with not targeting any demographics.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #60 (permalink)
Ozymandias

Epic Lurker

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/22/08
Business: Greeble
Ifrit Skytower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #61 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Wait. No one told me I can be the Hindenburg. Who's selling that as a full avatar?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #62 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

They have occasionally had anthropomorphic animals as avatars on the website or in the starter avatars (and not like the evil bunny, either, I don't know whose idea it was to take a knock-off Tiny and try to make it into a full-size avatar but that was really really nasty). So it's not quite "zero coverage".

Lately they seem to be all into the undead. What's up with that?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #63 (permalink)

Δ

Quote:
All the hype with undeads in pop culture I guess.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #64 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
Needs more demons.

Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 03-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #65 (permalink)

And children.

KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 03-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #66 (permalink)
FS Dev

Limited Edition Serious Pirate CEO Cat Supreme with Rainbow Skurvy Sprinkles and Bacon

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec '08
Quote:
Lately? They were starter avs and I think all over the website even back when I originally joined >_>
Kadah Coba is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #67 (permalink)

LL promotes Second Life?
Crim Mip is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 03-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #68 (permalink)
Admiral

***busy***

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November 2006
Client: FireStorm (latest release)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriell Anatra View Post
Needs more demons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kingsley View Post
And children.

If you'd met my nieces you'd realize that's the the same thing.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 03-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #69 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kingsley View Post
And children.

Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:03 AM   #70 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
Wait. No one told me I can be the Hindenburg. Who's selling that as a full avatar?
That used to be a starter, for a while they had vehicles as starters. Airships, cars, spaceships. Unless LL culled the Library, you should be able to find them in there somewhere.

Fun fact, if you peek around the Doomed Ship sim after examining the old vehicle starters, you can see where pieces of them were used in the environment.

You'd never see something like that these days as all of the starters now are no-mod to discourage creativity.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #71 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadah Coba View Post
direct ad banner campaigns on the popular furry sites. IMVU does this

Hell, I was even considering funding an SL ad banner campaign on FA
IMVU advertized on FA all the time... until IMVU just went ahead and bought FA entirely, now IMVU can put all their ads on FA for free.

Though the situation means if LL wanted to put ads on FA, they'd be paying IMVU for it.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #72 (permalink)

Δ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
IMVU advertized on FA all the time... until IMVU just went ahead and bought FA entirely, now IMVU can put all their ads on FA for free.

Though the situation means if LL wanted to put ads on FA, they'd be paying IMVU for it.
Didn't know FA is owned by IMVU lol, that's kind of a weird association with marketing aside.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #73 (permalink)
Quietly watching

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/24/2007
Client: PoundLife
Quote:
You'd never see something like that these days as all of the starters now are no-mod to discourage creativity.
No mod is a plague these days in general, I avoid most events anymore since it is standard practice to make everything no mod just for the sake of doing so, along with not even listing the perms on vendors. There's no legitimate reason for it.
Vaelissa Cortes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #74 (permalink)
In ur threadz...

...trollin ur postz!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Awards: 1
SL exists to make furries, not bring in existing ones.

That's why it's Linden Laboratory.

"Privatize" Windows10: Clara's Techstuff

Support SLU with stuff for your RL: https://society6.com/sluniverse

Squirrel!

Hakuna Potato
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 03-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #75 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelissa Cortes View Post
No mod is a plague these days in general
Domino effect.

Used to be freebies were full perm, and it was considered churlish to limit permissions because that limited how much people could learn from them.