Second Life Forums getting a make over. - Page 7 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Second Life Forums getting a make over.

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #151 (permalink)
Voice of Reason

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/30/2006
Client: Firestorm/CoolVL
Send a message via Skype™ to Spirits Rising
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha Dinosaur View Post
There is little to no reason to post on those forums. When they listen to the community, it is only to a select few who manage to have the free time to attend meeting hours. Instead a poster increases the chance to have some punishment applied if they post the wrong thing at the wrong time, and end up in Spirits Rising's club.
Or heaven forbid you contradict one of those few in any way.
Spirits Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #152 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Yeah, I agree. I don't feel all that comfortable posting there. Not that I generally post anything inflammatory; but all it takes is one bad post and someone in power having a bad day, and *poof*. I don't know if forum bans also mean bans from in-world, but I'd rather not find out.

Off-topic: Marianne, I love your new avatar here!

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #153 (permalink)
Feted Inner Child

Whee!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 22nd Feb., 2006
Client: Official Viewer
Send a message via Skype™ to Marianne McCann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Off-topic: Marianne, I love your new avatar here!
Thanks! Nylon Pinkney did it for me!

(She is currently taking commissions, and her prices are great: Commission - 2017 )
Marianne McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Myf
3 Users Like This:
Old 03-17-2017, 05:48 AM   #154 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
Decided to poke at the new forums because...why not?

My initial impressions are...well, is it just me or is there no option in the interface to insert an image into the body of a post?

I noticed this immediately, and so my second thought was, "well, maybe it's not in the toolbar, but I can still try putting the tags in manually then check it in preview before posting."

Seconds later, "Wait, there's no preview button, only a post button."

Am I mistaken, am I missing something? Because if not this seems like a huge downgrade in functionality.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #155 (permalink)
Voice of Reason

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/30/2006
Client: Firestorm/CoolVL
Send a message via Skype™ to Spirits Rising
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
don't know if forum bans also mean bans from in-world, but I'd rather not find out.
They don't.
Spirits Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
Decided to poke at the new forums because...why not?

My initial impressions are...well, is it just me or is there no option in the interface to insert an image into the body of a post?

I noticed this immediately, and so my second thought was, "well, maybe it's not in the toolbar, but I can still try putting the tags in manually then check it in preview before posting."

Seconds later, "Wait, there's no preview button, only a post button."

Am I mistaken, am I missing something? Because if not this seems like a huge downgrade in functionality.
There is a preview button on the top, far right.

It seems if you make an image attachment it will put it into the post at the bottom. No way to position it within the post.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #157 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
Client: Flavor of the week
Something strange happened.

I found out how to inset images easy enough. Yay me! But then I saw they were freaking huge. The images, I mean.

But it is an edit button there, so that's easy to fix, I thought, naive as I am. I even tested it and made a small change in the text, deciding I could come back in an hour and delete the big images and replace them with smaller. I didn't have time for image editing just at the moment.

Coming back an hour later, and I could not edit the post? Why??

Can it be to control there is no adult images added, so after the post is looked over and images found to be not offensive, the post is locked?

I could not find an option to delete the post either. Anyone know if it is possible?
"My opinion is, a designer should always try to enhance the inworld experience for his clients. In a virtual world, where individuality is hard to obtain, selling modifieable items is like selling a bit of freedom. Think about that." ~Silent Sky

Last edited by Marianne Little; 03-17-2017 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Added more text
Marianne Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #158 (permalink)
It's me.

*SLU Supporter*

Just another muppet.

SL Join Date: March 2007
Client: Official browser
Why?
Because they can.
If you love logical interfaces and smart decisions, don't count on LL to much.

That would probably be my first ban over there.
Sid II is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #159 (permalink)
Adult Content

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
It seems if you make an image attachment it will put it into the post at the bottom. No way to position it within the post.
I thought it put the photo where your cursor is.
After it is inserted, click the pic to get the resize handles. Also, click and drag to re-position it.

You can now drag and drop image files from your desktop to the bottom of the post. For now that is how it gets to your "gallery." More work is underway.

[ETA]
I forgot to say, once you have the image uploaded as an attachment, you can drag and drop it from the bottom attachment area to where you want it in the post.
Rhonda Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #160 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda Huntress View Post
I thought it put the photo where your cursor is.
After it is inserted, click the pic to get the resize handles. Also, click and drag to re-position it.

You can now drag and drop image files from your desktop to the bottom of the post. For now that is how it gets to your "gallery." More work is underway.

[ETA]
I forgot to say, once you have the image uploaded as an attachment, you can drag and drop it from the bottom attachment area to where you want it in the post.
Rhonda, have you tried to edit a post after, say one hour, one day?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #161 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
Ok, if you can simply click and drag images to where you want them placed in the post, that's great. Complaint with drawn. However, just like the preview button, it's not immediately obvious.

I'm also curious about whether or not you can edit posts later.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #162 (permalink)
Coin-operated

The no-edit threshold started out much tighter, like 5 minutes or something. I gather there's a common problem with forum spammers making innocent posts, then hours or days later changing them to spam/phishing lures.
Qie Niangao is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #163 (permalink)
In ur threadz...

...trollin ur postz!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

It does nicely follow the current trend of ever increasing the blankspace:content ratio while keeping everything flat.

Okay, I know some of you will just leap at me with the Y U H8T CHANGE and/or give me shit about not having a wide enough monitor, but seriously, which looks nicer to navigate without wearing out a scroll wheel?

Or

"Privatize" Windows10: Clara's Techstuff

Support SLU with stuff for your RL: https://society6.com/sluniverse

Squirrel!

Hakuna Potato
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #164 (permalink)

If you want to put it like that, the LL forum looks far more attractive, if only because a) you seem to have chosen a particularly garish colour scheme for your depiction of SLU, b) there's none of the predictably tedious poster's names showing in the LL view and c) the LL forum seems to be at least trying to accommodate an international user base.

(Actually, I'm only joking about the predictably tedious SLU user names.)
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #165 (permalink)
Adult Content

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Little View Post
Rhonda, have you tried to edit a post after, say one hour, one day?
It was 5 minutes originally.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #166 (permalink)
Adult Content

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
It does nicely follow the current trend of ever increasing the blankspace:content ratio while keeping everything flat.

Okay, I know some of you will just leap at me with the Y U H8T CHANGE and/or give me shit about not having a wide enough monitor, but seriously, which looks nicer to navigate without wearing out a scroll wheel?

{images removed; just look a few post back}
I blame millennials and tiny touch pad devices.

Last edited by Rhonda Huntress; 03-19-2017 at 12:10 PM.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #167 (permalink)
In ur threadz...

...trollin ur postz!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kingsley View Post
If you want to put it like that, the LL forum looks far more attractive, if only because a) you seem to have chosen a particularly garish colour scheme for your depiction of SLU, b) there's none of the predictably tedious poster's names showing in the LL view and c) the LL forum seems to be at least trying to accommodate an international user base.

(Actually, I'm only joking about the predictably tedious SLU user names.)
"garish" is "higher contrast" for us old folks. I didn't see any way to change the skin on SLO, so maybe they're "international" but they still give bugger-all about accessiblity At least it's not teal-on-white, but that's all that can be said for it.

One man's "garish and cluttered" is another person's "less scrolling to see everything"
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:
[…] I didn't see any way to change the skin on SLO, so maybe they're "international" […]
Huh? My idea of internationalism came from the fact that there appeared to be forums catering for several languages other than English rather than the colour schemes on offer.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #169 (permalink)
In ur threadz...

...trollin ur postz!

My Mood:

Quote:
Huh? My idea of internationalism came from the fact that there appeared to be forums catering for several languages other than English rather than the colour schemes on offer.
"Accessibility" for the differently abled, a place where they've repeatedly fallen flat -- with the gray-on-grey-with-grey viewer2 and the teal-on-white colors on the website.

So while it's lovely they have various subforums for languages, the skin can't be changed.

Like I said here, "they're 'international' but they still give bugger-all about accessiblity."
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #170 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Something strange happened.

I found out how to inset images easy enough. Yay me! But then I saw they were freaking huge. The images, I mean.

But it is an edit button there, so that's easy to fix, I thought, naive as I am. I even tested it and made a small change in the text, deciding I could come back in an hour and delete the big images and replace them with smaller. I didn't have time for image editing just at the moment.

Coming back an hour later, and I could not edit the post? Why??

Can it be to control there is no adult images added, so after the post is looked over and images found to be not offensive, the post is locked?

I could not find an option to delete the post either. Anyone know if it is possible?
Many forums don't allow editing at all, some have a feature where they can set the amount of time you have to edit. Same goes for deleting.

It comes as no surprise that LL never thought to make feature information available for the users. Not that it is absolutely necessary but knowing some things like time limits on editing are things the posters would find useful and would help to cut down on complaints. The info would need to be posted on the forum, not in the Knowledge Base.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-19-2017, 03:23 AM   #171 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
Thank you for your help. It was great to know that the time limit is 60 minutes now.
I just have to think about the size of images before I post them, or else be ready to a quick edit.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #172 (permalink)

Well here in SLU the default width of an image, before it gets top-barred with a "click here to see the full size image"… or whatever… is 600 pixels. But I'm now reminded that this is purely arbitrary bollocks, and that trying to please everyone is a pretty futile enterprise.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #173 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Well here in SLU the default width of an image, before it gets top-barred with a "click here to see the full size image"… or whatever… is 600 pixels. But I'm now reminded that this is purely arbitrary bollocks, and that trying to please everyone is a pretty futile enterprise.
SLU has a feature that will automatically resize the image for you. If that feature is available on the LL board, they should enable it. To the best of my knowledge the feature on SLU wasn't enabled in an effort to please everyone. It was enabled because that's just how Cris is. He's good people.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #174 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Thank you for your help. It was great to know that the time limit is 60 minutes now.
I just have to think about the size of images before I post them, or else be ready to a quick edit.
You're welcome. You might want to inquire about the feature I mentioned in my post above.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #175 (permalink)
FS Dev

Limited Edition Serious Pirate CEO Cat Supreme with Rainbow Skurvy Sprinkles and Bacon

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec '08
Quote:

Welcome to Web 2.1 or 3.0 or whatever the hell they call it now.

Also the trend of using super low contrast shades of colors next to each other as separators. On my calibrated monitors, a faint shadow cast on the display has more contrast than most things LL has done since 2.0.
Kadah Coba is offline   Reply With Quote