Parcel bans based on Avi age question - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Parcel bans based on Avi age question

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2006
Business: [e bar]
Client: FS

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Parcel bans based on Avi age question

Has anyone used any of those gadgets that ban an avatar if it's less than 'X' days old and are they bad in the script/lag department?

I know that FS has some kind of box you can tick for that but am unsure if it will make ban lines?

Some person or persons are causing some issues on my business parcel. I'm keeping up with estate banning them one by one (landlord gave me estate ban orb) but they are showing up during times when I can't be online. All of them are less than 5 days old of course.

I have all the parcel protections in place but I'd like to boot them as soon as they land.
Ellen Cordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 01-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
We need a posse to "welcome" them to the grid.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Step one with trolls: Be Boring.

Boot the noob for being a noob kinda sucks any which way you slice it. I hope someone has a better solution.

So, I just TPed to the [e bar] to have a look at your land settings!
  • No rez
  • No object entry
If all your stuff is set to group properly, I'd recommend an autoreturn as well because 'things happen'.

Something to do immediately is check the Allow Group Access - Staff in case you throw ban lines up abruptly and eject yourself.

Your parcel is 4096 in a greater sim, so your sim boot orb is probably a command to a bot that has estate management privs. That'll do.

The Age thing is for declared real life age in the About Land - Access checkbox, not days old avatars. All disallowing public access will do is disallow any non group members.

I notice you don't have a landing zone full of vendors. So, you might be okay with closing the club when you don't have a DJ. To do that you'll need to have staff positions capable of turning on and off the Allow Public Access.

And however did an avatar name "Womanity's Owner" end up on a lesbian club's ban list?
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Step one with trolls: Be Boring.

Boot the noob for being a noob kinda sucks any which way you slice it. I hope someone has a better solution.
Yah I agree, but these are obviously brand new avi he's making daily as they get booted. Too stupid to not put the same photos in each one.

Quote:
So, I just TPed to the [e bar] to have a look at your land settings!
  • No rez
  • No object entry
If all your stuff is set to group properly, I'd recommend an autoreturn as well because 'things happen'.
My landlord's orb and some trees of his are down below on the ground, how do I turn on the auto return without booting his stuff? *10 years in and still confused about this. He is in my staff group btw.

Quote:
Something to do immediately is check the Allow Group Access - Staff in case you throw ban lines up abruptly and eject yourself.

... So, you might be okay with closing the club when you don't have a DJ.
I can't close during off hours tho'. Ladies come and go all hours. Apparently it's a bit of a 'quiet date' destination. Also..staff? That's just me and two DJ. It's a little unassuming place. *laughs

Quote:
And however did an avatar name "Womanity's Owner" end up on a lesbian club's ban list?
LOL IKR?
1 User Hugged You:
Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Mood:

Soooo, does anyone have any experience with these things? Getting back to the OP?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cordeaux View Post
My landlord's orb and some trees of his are down below on the ground, how do I turn on the auto return without booting his stuff? *10 years in and still confused about this. He is in my staff group btw.
Everything that isn't going to be swept needs to be set to the group. In fact, you're probably fine so, nix the autoreturn.

Quote:
I can't close during off hours tho'. Ladies come and go all hours. Apparently it's a bit of a 'quiet date' destination. Also..staff? That's just me and two DJ. It's a little unassuming place. *laughs
Welp.

Quote:
Soooo, does anyone have any experience with these things? Getting back to the OP?
I've never set one up, but they work by doing a periodic "sensor"* sweep and any avs it finds on the parcel that are under X days old, it either ejects, or TPs home. With or without warning. They should be pretty easy to set up. I can't recommend a product, though. Trasee Darkwatch did some work on Psyke's old orbs, you might check her store.

*The cool kids aren't using llSensor() anymore but it's the easiest to communicate.
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Sadly I think it's one of the few means available for dealing with stalkers that are willing to make a hundred new accounts just to screw with you.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
I am the Script Police!

*SLU Supporter*

post_count++;

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/01/2005
Business: The Wastelands
Client: Official Newest
For a while (maybe half a year?) I used to have such a limitation in The Wastelands, mostly because it was when the estate tools were rather broken. It worked by teleporting people home who were less than two weeks old, they then were given a landmark to return for when they hit 14 days of age.

It was something I scripted specifically for the estate, because we had some problems with people rolling up alts after they were estate banned; and they'd just continue griefing. Since the estate tools to clean up the griefing mess were effectively broken, it helped us out for a while. Eventually estate tools were mostly fixed, and I pulled the system down. In the end I think it hurt as much as it helped, since a lot of new SL users were curious about the estate and couldn't visit. Besides, I didn't like the idea of denying people the ability to visit, only because one or two people were causing problems.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Nan

"I feel like SL but BETTER"

My Mood:
Wouldn't a jerk just make a pile of alts , wait 15 days and come over? They may enjoy the anticipation.
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

Depends on their attention span and if they find a new shiny.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Wouldn't a jerk just make a pile of alts , wait 15 days and come over? They may enjoy the anticipation.
It also depends on whether they are selecting a target randomly, or it's something personal.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity Slade View Post
It also depends on whether they are selecting a target randomly, or it's something personal.

I'm pretty sure at this point that it's some butt hurt griefer dude/s who don't like the idea of a woman only space. Not someone I pissed off personally, other than ya know, the whole lesbian separatist thing.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm pretty sure at this point that it's some butt hurt griefer dude/s who don't like the idea of a woman only space. Not someone I pissed off personally, other than ya know, the whole lesbian separatist thing.
Then it is personal to an extent. But that person has a million other potential targets in SL and perhaps it wouldn't take much to get this person to move on and forget about your club.
Amity Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Based on this:

Quote:
I suspect you had some off hours guests hanging out when troll arrived, and they gave the troll a lovely and satisfying fit of indignation, and so the troll is treating the place as a honeypot.

In any case, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity Slade View Post
Then it is personal to an extent. But that person has a million other potential targets in SL and perhaps it wouldn't take much to get this person to move on and forget about your club.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-13-2017, 01:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

I used Thomas Conover's Land Security orb successfully to institute an age ban when my sim was being griefed by a stream of new accounts. Because I recall the detection it uses for that function using sensors I set up a landing point with the sensor so I didn't need sensors the full height of the sim.

Anyway It worked for what I needed. And for the month I used it there were only a couple of people that contacted me that I added to the exception list so they could get in. A lot less trouble than dealing with the results of the griefing each day and the tens of people contacting me with notecards detailing griefing on the sim and problems.

Last edited by Aethelwine; 01-13-2017 at 01:43 AM.
Aethelwine is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-13-2017, 04:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
King

<3

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2004
Misty Rhodes has one on her land, a friend who was less than a year old followed me and he couldn't enter.

SLUniverse Forums - View Profile: Misty Rhodes

I don't think she's active here on the forums anymore, but she's in world daily, send her an i.m :-)
Benjamin Opel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-13-2017, 05:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
a sherpa of your emotions

*SLU Supporter*

rotisserie compulsive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

In Queso Emergency 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethelwine View Post
I used Thomas Conover's Land Security orb successfully to institute an age ban when my sim was being griefed by a stream of new accounts. .
Sadly Thomas's orbs have gone FUBAR for some reason.
Also they are no copy. So no way to rez a new one.

Caspervend makes a very acceptable one that can be used for full sim or parcel only.
It is copy ok if you need 4 to cover the whole region.
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eku Zhong View Post
Sadly Thomas's orbs have gone FUBAR for some reason.
Also they are no copy. So no way to rez a new one.

Caspervend makes a very acceptable one that can be used for full sim or parcel only.
It is copy ok if you need 4 to cover the whole region.
You forget the 3rd dimension here, didn't you?

Last edited by KT Kingsley; 01-13-2017 at 09:19 AM.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

This space for rent

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kingsley View Post
You forget the 3rd dimension here, didn't you?
I use CasperSafe at home, and really like it a lot. One orb can cover an entire region in all dimensions. It uses the newish LSL functions that allow you to get info on all avatars on the region no matter where you're located.

It also supports having multiple overlapping orbs allowing you to set up different access lists in different areas while still maintaining a region-wide policy.

For relevance to the OP, we also set a minimum 14 day age on our land, when we were being griefed, it was invariably new accounts.
LoriClaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

OK, but if it only uses the one LSL function (llGetAgentList, I presume) why do you need multiple overlapping orbs? Surely overlapping is redundant using this function?
Old 01-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #21 (permalink)

This space for rent

My Mood:
Quote:
OK, but if it only uses the one LSL function (llGetAgentList, I presume) why do you need multiple overlapping orbs? Surely overlapping is redundant using this function?
We use multiple orbs to enforce different policies in different areas. For example, we have a private residence that has an orb which by default ejects and bans. The main parcel orb is set only to eject avatars younger than 14 days and to maintain the parcel banlist.

The orb in the apartment pops up a dialog when someone not on the guest list enters, if we're on sim at the time, so if it's someone we invited in, we don't have to rush to the orb to keep it from kicking them.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #22 (permalink)

Again presumably, each script calls llGetAgentList and receives a list of all the agents in the region. It then goes on to distinguish which agents are within it's particular area of interest and then acts according to what has been specified for agents in that area. All of which still only requires a single script.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #23 (permalink)

This space for rent

My Mood:
Quote:
Again presumably, each script calls llGetAgentList and receives a list of all the agents in the region. It then goes on to distinguish which agents are within it's particular area of interest and then acts according to what has been specified for agents in that area. All of which still only requires a single script.
Exactly. You can define the area to be covered by a specific orb in several ways: Full-Region, Parcel, Range, or use rezzed position handles to define a specific volume (and you can define multiple volumes for a single orb).
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #24 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethelwine View Post
I used Thomas Conover's Land Security orb successfully to institute an age ban when my sim was being griefed by a stream of new accounts.
Oh. I use this for my home parcel for years and didn't realize it had that function. I guess cuz I never needed it before. I'll look at that as an option.

ETA: I'll check into CasperSafe also. Which might be a better option with the updated scripts.

Thanks for the help y'all.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #25 (permalink)

I don't really have much experience with security orbs- when I had a club, we were very fortunate to dodge much griefing. But if I were looking for a security orb, one thing I would want to know is how frequently it scans, and ideally whether I could set the frequency of the scans.

From what I think I know about scripting, search-like functions (e.g., search the region and make a list of all the avatars there) tend to be the most resource-intensive- thus lag-inducing- functions. You want to avoid doing that rapid-fire.

If your griefer is merely of the annoyance variety- not the sim-crashing variety- consider setting the frequency of the scan way down. If your orb is, for example, scanning every five seconds as opposed to every second, you have five times less processing load. The trade-off is your griefer has 0-4 seconds (2 on average?) extra time to grief. Are those few extra seconds enough time for your griefer to really do extra damage?

(A crash-the-sim griefer might be able to do a lot of extra damage with a few seconds, so that would have to change your decision.)

I don't know what features security orbs normally have, so I do not know what is standard when it comes to scan frequency. But the frequency- and whether the frequency is adjustable- would be at the top of the list of what I wanted to know if I were looking for a security orb.
Amity Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks: