Lindex - this is weird - no? - Page 12 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Lindex - this is weird - no?

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #276 (permalink)

Rawr

My Mood:
Client: SL Viewer 5
It's general grid bork, couldn't teleport between regions a little while ago.

A redirect to the status blog is the 2016 version of the monkeys banging on things redirect.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #277 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

I would much rather get an actual 404 page, monkeys or not.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #278 (permalink)
Meshed up!

Editing status

SL Join Date: 06/15/2007
Business: Meshopotamia
Say hello to some old friends

The woman suffhned bvices s

“He died, possibly befoflight,

#OriginalSpammerPost
Reven Rosca is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #279 (permalink)
Owner, Willowdale Estate

*SLU Supporter*

I'm always happy to help :)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2008
Business: Willowdale Estate
Client: Firestorm
From the grid status report page:

[Posted 11:03 AM PDT, 23 August 2016] We are aware that some users are currently being logged out, and all users are currently unable to log in to Second Life. Additionally, please refrain from transacting on the LindeX on in-world as purchases are likely to fail. Some regions are also unavailable at this time, and teleports to other regions may fail currently. We have identified the issue causing this situation and are currently working to resolve it. Please monitor this blog for additional updates.
Imagin Illyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #280 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

That doesn't say anything about being unable to get to my account _after successfully logging in to the website_. In fact it doesn't mention anything but the grid at all.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #281 (permalink)

Cat Herder

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/11/08
Did someone light a fire under LL about Lindex sales? When I've sold lindens before it's taken up to two weeks from the time I put them up for sale (limit sell usually at the highest amount of lindens/US dollars) till the money finally goes thru PayPal & then into my bank. The last time I sold lindens at Limit Sell they sold right away but it still took almost 2 weeks from the point of sale till the money was deposited in my bank. Last Sunday I put some lindens up for sale around noon (I used the Market Sell this time because I wanted to see the difference) & within minutes it sold & I had my US dollars go thru PayPal & into my bank between Sunday afternoon & Monday evening. That's ONE day & remember I started the sale on a Sunday! Is that normal now? If so it was well worth losing a couple dollars just to have the time go from 2 weeks to hitting the bank in 1 day.
Maggy Hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #282 (permalink)
Owner, Willowdale Estate

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
I put a sale order through at 260 two days ago and it still hasn't gone through. I think LL has realized that if you just make them wait they will cancel and just use the market sell and they make more money.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #283 (permalink)

Cat Herder

My Mood:
You could be right Imagin. I wanted my money fast this time so decided to try the market sell as I said in my post above. For me, losing a couple dollars was worth the 1 day processing time but it wasn't a huge amount of lindens like some others put through on a regular basis. I was very surprised at the time difference.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:59 PM   #284 (permalink)
Owner, Willowdale Estate

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
For years I was able to cash out at 249 now I'm lucky to get 260. It's costing me well over $500US on what I can take out each month. I'm finding it hard to believe this is just "a conversation between users" any more.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 09-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #285 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy Hazelnut View Post
You could be right Imagin. I wanted my money fast this time so decided to try the market sell as I said in my post above. For me, losing a couple dollars was worth the 1 day processing time but it wasn't a huge amount of lindens like some others put through on a regular basis. I was very surprised at the time difference.
I go L$1 over best price. That's pretty much as fast as market sell, and I'm only losing pennies.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #286 (permalink)

Cat Herder

My Mood:
Thanks Argent that's good to know! But have you ever seen lindens sell that fast to go from the actual sale, then through PayPal & deposited into your bank all within 1 day? Is that normal time for a market sale? I ask because in my experience it's taken from 1-2 weeks to go from the actual point of sale to the bank deposit when I've done limit sales.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #287 (permalink)
Baby Baroness

*SLU Supporter*

OMG ICONS

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2005.10.28
Client: 1.23
Send a message via Yahoo to Wildefire Walcott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagin Illyar View Post
For years I was able to cash out at 249 now I'm lucky to get 260. It's costing me well over $500US on what I can take out each month. I'm finding it hard to believe this is just "a conversation between users" any more.
The prevailing theory for the devaluation of the L$ is that it's from tons of more-impatient-than-usual people emptying their Linden purses in order to take advantage of the grandfathered sim buy-down. I think that offer expires next week, so assuming LL doesn't extend the offer, we should see the value of L$ relative to the dollar creep back up if that was the root cause of the anomaly.

My own theory was that for years the crazy-steady L$249/$1 USD ratio was due to active manipulation on LL's part, and when the market went haywire it was a sign that they were stepping back from active management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy Hazelnut
Did someone light a fire under LL about Lindex sales? When I've sold lindens before it's taken up to two weeks from the time I put them up for sale...
When they changed the cash-out fee structure from a flat fee to a percentage-based charge with a cap, that was an intentional effort to bring down cash-out turnaround times by changing the behavior of residents. If you want to take advantage of the cash-out fee cap, MOST residents will have to wait for the funds to accumulate a lot higher than they previously did, reducing the number of transactions LL's paypal peeps have to process. So you probably SHOULD be seeing shorter turnaround times since they dropped the flat fee- assuming they maintained consistent staffing in that department. (This is another thing that makes the L$ devaluation seem like it's related to the sim buy-down... people should be cashing out less frequently due to the fee increase on individual Paypal transactions... but that wouldn't affect people selling off L$ for the buy-down fee, because LL just deducts that from your USD account directly; the seller only has to deal with the Lindex transaction tax. So maybe more people are converting Lindens to USD right now, but fewer people are actually withdrawing USD to PayPal.)

Desperation Isle Productions: Scripted skyboxes for lots (and budgets) of all sizes!
Wildefire Walcott is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #288 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy Hazelnut View Post
Thanks Argent that's good to know! But have you ever seen lindens sell that fast to go from the actual sale, then through PayPal & deposited into your bank all within 1 day?
I don't cash out, I just pay for my account and land from US$ credit.

I don't see how it would make any difference how you sold the L$, though. Cashing out US$ credit is a separate transaction from selling L$ for US$ credit, yesno?
Old 10-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #289 (permalink)
Baby Baroness

*SLU Supporter*

OMG ICONS

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2005.10.28
Client: 1.23
Send a message via Yahoo to Wildefire Walcott
According to the SL Knowledge Base the buy-down offer has expired:

Quote:
How to participate in the buy down event

This offer has ended as of 11:59PM PDT on October 4, 2016.
Although "Region Buy Down" is still an option you can select when submitting a Land & Region support ticket.

Doesn't appear to have had a short-term affect on the exchange rate but fingers crossed that things return to 2015 levels...
Wildefire Walcott is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #290 (permalink)
Owner, Willowdale Estate

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
I'd LOVE to see it go back to the 249 exchange rate. I'm losing too much money now. I don't believe that the buy down is the reason for the high exchange rate.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #291 (permalink)
Coin-operated

Quote:
I'd LOVE to see it go back to the 249 exchange rate. I'm losing too much money now. I don't believe that the buy down is the reason for the high exchange rate.
It will be very interesting if the rate does go back down. In fact, it will be hard to explain. It would suggest that the exchange rate really does move directly with the market, uncontrolled by Linden intervention in either direction -- and I don't believe that for a minute. If the Lindex works the way I think it does, it could have returned to status quo ante as soon as demand for sink-replacement L$s burnt off enough excess supply, but instead, the Lab apparently raised its target exchange rate and supplied enough L$s to meet it. If instead the Lindex worked without Linden intervention, the rate should be much more volatile, especially while the L$ recovers value.

But I'd just caution about the "losing too much money" thing. It's really not as simple as comparing the US$ value at different exchange rates, because buyers (or renters, or other L$ source) will be unquantifiably freer to spend less-valuable L$s. As I mentioned above, the Land business is less able to take advantage of that because its fixed expenses are denominated in US$s, but still: if the L$ had not lost some value, it's impossible to guess how many tenants would have left because L$ rent became somewhat more expensive in terms of their RL currencies.
Qie Niangao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #292 (permalink)
Owner, Willowdale Estate

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
With the exchange rate as high as it is tenants can buy lindens cheaper so they have more to spend. The land market cannot stand price increases so I'm losing money when cashing out, which is very frustrating because my estate is stable and doing very well. I pay LL $10G US a month for my sims already. It irks me that I have to take such a big loss because of the exchange rate knowing they are getting that money as well.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #293 (permalink)

Am I totally confused now or is there suddenly a huge decrease in offered L$? When I last checked a couple of days ago there were always around 5 Million L$ for sale at 261 and 80-100 Million at 260. Now, sunday morning, 7 Million at 260, 20 Million at 259, all together maybe 90 Million between 260 and 250. What happened? Can't be the end of the Buy-Down-Offer, that already was a month ago.
Daniel Regenbogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:28 AM   #294 (permalink)
only mostly banned

*SLU Supporter*

paddling.....

My Mood:
Business: Building in Motion
Client: References available on request.
Well, it looks like disaster has struck. The value of the Linden has absolutely skyrocketed. The inability to purchase low priced Lindens will wreck the economy and destroy SL. Everything depends on easy access to Lindens to keep the spice, errr, I mean the micro-transactions flowing. Also, Pan Pan passed away. If Sl makes it out of 2016 alive it will be a miracle.

(Also also, mark my words, we are all going to die, and when we do I will be here to point and laugh and say, "I told you so.")

"I understand that people are scared, but they should listen to facts." - Ryan White

Grandma Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-30-2016, 06:19 AM   #295 (permalink)
Your cutest PITA

Don't look yet !

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/28/06
Business: RealRestraint
Client: My own RLV
From what I've seen (and I've been following the Lindex closely for nearly the whole year), the buy-down did have an immediate effect, kept the rate high for 9 months, way after the end of October. There are many people like me who simply refrained from cashing out over all those months because they didn't want to lose money. The buy-down enticed land barons to cash out as much as possible as quickly as possible to pay LL those $600 for as many of their sims as possible. Leading to sometimes big orders at a very poor rate (for them).

Then once the last month of the buy-down offer was over, i.e. in November, the rates started to go down a little bit, then bounced back up as the patient ones finally decided it was a good time to sell, and cashed out all at once. But after almost two months, the flow dried (plus Christmas came) and we got an influx of buy orders, really outweighing the sale orders, and in one week the rate dropped from 263 down to 250 ! I've never seen this happen in all my time. It is 249 now when I'm writing this, and apparently still going down.

But I have observed another trend lately. It seems like those hacker groups are out in full force. Those who compromise accounts by spreading phishing urls on group chats, then using those compromised accounts to spread even more fake urls. Maybe you've seen those frequent small sale orders at very poor rates (like 10k or 100k at a rate 2 points or more above the highest rate). Most are from those "hackers" who, after having claimed yet another account, send most of its money to contacts who then immediately cash it out. It's a race against the clock, really, because these days LL cracks down on those guys and seizes the money before it is withdrawn, provided the victim sends a report fast enough. It happened to a friend of mine not long ago, he got his money back thankfully because he reported it immediately and his money, although already cashed out, wasn't wired to the thief's bank yet. There have been more and more of these stolen money sale orders lately, but I'm glad that LL is doing something about it. Of course this alone doesn't explain the surge we had for the better part of 2016. It must have been a coincidence of several events at the same time. Buy-down, Sansar, thieves and now Christmas (whether LL has something to do with it or not, but they will never tell anyway).
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-30-2016, 07:05 AM   #296 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Huh, I was thinking I was getting a decent price for my Lindens again. Looks like it's steadying out about where it's historically been, a nice comfortable 250/260 spread.
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 01-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #297 (permalink)
Owner, Willowdale Estate

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
At this point I'd say it looks more like certain Lindens were just on Christmas vacation and it's been inching up since they got back.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-09-2017, 06:58 AM   #298 (permalink)
syncing with reality

Mixing metaphors, splitting infinitives and dealing with rogue apostrophes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: a while ago
Business: Satiated Desires
i thought we were paying 15 times more to cashout because it was going to be quicker? I've been waiting 4 days now and it's still not been processed.

[insert traditional whine
Q: how do you know LL are lying?
A: Their lips are moving]

eta: as an update - around 6 hrs later they finally processed it. So it only took 4 1/2 days instead of the 5 of yesteryear. a bargain in anyone's book, right?
Originally Posted by Nemo Quisquam View Post
"Sansar: come for the user created 3D content, stay forever in an endless cycle of attachment and disappointment!"

Last edited by Couldbe Yue; 02-09-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Couldbe Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #299 (permalink)

Stuffed

My Mood:
Quote:
Necroing (is that a verb?) this thread!! Has anyone looked at the Lindex lately? Open sell orders are at 246!!! A big swing in the last few weeks. This is good news, yes? I don't remember it being below 249 for a very long time.
txWalrus Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 08-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #300 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
___

SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

Awards: 1
In Queso Emergency 
I think it has something to do with Sansar.. dunno.. but that is my guess