Burn2 2015 - SLUniverse Forums

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

needs to edit profile/pics

SL Join Date: Sept 2006 (but not active till 2008)
Business: someday, someday ...

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Burn2 2015

Burn2 is open!

Here's a shot of the greeters at the Welcome area.

Robert Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Like This:
Old 10-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Camp Duck and Cover

Duck & Cover
by Myf McMahon, on Flickr

This is my little corner of the Playa. Along with my build partner, Soto Hax, we've put together a facsimilie of a real Burning Man camp, as close as our building skills and SL allow. The centrepiece and main focus of the camp is a pop up cinema. Running on a Quicktime stream is approximately two plus hours worth of PSAs and educational films from the first half of the 20th century. These films are running in a continuous loop, 24 hours a day, so any time you drop in, there'll be something to see.
Myf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 10-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Feted Inner Child

Whee!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 22nd Feb., 2006
Client: Official Viewer
Send a message via Skype™ to Marianne McCann
Inner Child Camp is a faux "KidsVille" + art installation. It follows close along the playa aesthetic, but is not a faithful re-creation of Kidsville.

Come visit and explore. Check out the meander maze and climb the towers. Play a while.
Marianne McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Like This:
Old 10-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thread Title of the Week 
I've always wanted to build something in Burn but for various reasons I never have. This year something new has been added (by Huntress Catrena). There is a section of Burn called (walk in Camp) which is divided into free mini plots. When I saw this, I knew my procrastination was over -even I could make something for a mini camp ;-)

The simple tent was made by me ;-) The other items are from my inventory or Burn gifts. The rug is "Rug Red" by E linden. I think it's the first item I ever rezzed in SL -some of you might remember that I kept losing it under the floorboards of my home ;-) I thought it made sense to bring the old rug with me to the playa (dessert floor). The grundge mattress was a gift from Digger Opperel for SLU SLB11. She uses a different name for SLU but at the moment I can't remember it

I love this motley little walk in camp!

Last edited by Robert Jung; 10-19-2015 at 03:48 PM.
4 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

meaniehead

My Mood:

I'm over in the Frog Pond Sim and did something of an Escher-esque build

Second Life Maps | Burning Man- Frog Pond

Here's a quick gallery of my place on flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tracer...57659025126011

Old 10-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

meaniehead

My Mood:

Oh, and gonna be playing some tunes at center camp here at 8pm SLT

Second Life Maps | Burning Man- Jade

You can find the full calendar of events on the Burn2 website here:

BURN2 Event Calendar | www.burn2.org
Tracer Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thread Title of the Week 
What is Burn2?

Just in case someone is reading this who has never heard of Burn2 in SL ,or Burning Man in RL ...

Burning Man is and event held in annually in the heat and cold (day & night) of the Nevada dessert. People build art projects, make music, dance ,talk and support each other in community. At the end a wooden "man" is burned ritually.

In addition to the main group from California, there are official "regional Burns throughout the world and the event in SL (Burn2) is officially recognized as a regional event.
To me the most important aspect of Burning Man or Burn2 is the 10 principles:

The Ten Principles

DH — Sun, 02/28/2010 - 17:46

Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.
Gifting
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.
Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.
Radical Self-reliance
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.
Radical Self-expression
Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.
Communal Effort
Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.
Civic Responsibility
We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.
Leaving No Trace
Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.
Participation
Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.
Immediacy
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience

Here's links to more info:
www.burn2.org | Celebrating Community, Art, and Fire through the principles of BURNING MAN
Burning Man
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thread Title of the Week 
Immersion in Burn2

The casual visitor to Burn2 probably comes for the dancing , live music, the art exhibits, the fun carnival rides, and the funny vehicles, but for a more "immersive" experience, it helps to remember that this is based on a real event which happens in the harsh environment of the Nevada desert. The real event is a challenge -a bit dangerous. People need to keep themselves safe from the harsh environment, but the environment also needs to be kept safe from the crowd of crazy people. In both real life and second life, there are volunteers making it happen and keeping people safe.

Burn2 in SL isn't dangerous but I like to imagine that is is ;-)

Throughout the year, second life volunteers hold organizing meetings,plan & train volunters in the management office building.

While we are walking around dancing and having fun, some volunteer is sitting in a make shift work room, making sure everything is running along smooth ;-)

In real life and second life , there is a department of motor vehicles (dmv) for roads and cars in this tempoary little villiage. The real life Burning Man DMV lays out lays out "roads" in the desert and sets up rules for vehicles and art-car buggies. In second life members of the dmv make road sign graphics and create fanciful cars for people to drive during burn 2. Here's a shot of the dmv buildling:

on the inside

Keeping the peace - Rangers!

Some Burners have excellent interpersonal skills. Others, not so much. Some people may be taking drugs that make them mellow: others may be taking drugs that have the opposite effect.

In SL Burn2 sometimes people need help solving small misunderstanding,or just to anser questions. They are very nice people until griefers show up and then then go into swift action mode ;-)

"Rangers"are trained volunteers who help keep the peace. You'll find them hanging out all aaround burn2, keeping an eye on things and being available to help. Remember that in real life, they are standing there in the heat of the day and the cold of the night and are getting tired, so say hello and offer them a drink of water from your canteen.

Here's 2 rangers at the Ranger station. Radioactive is standing and Shendara is sitting.

And here's Daark Gothly rangering out in the field!

When you see a porta potty, make sure you open the door. Some are normal porta potties but if you look there a a few that are rather funny ;-)

This is a hash environment: you may and medical attention. Here is the SL version of the medical station.

One of the reasons why uou may need medical atention is sthe frequent dusst storms that pop up and can last for hours. When a virtual dust storm blew over Burn2, I looked for a scarf in my inventory to wrap around my face, but all I coould find was a gas mask ;-)

So when you visit burn 2, stop and look around and imagine that you are really in this harsh encvironment with a lot of people who are initially strangers. Stop to tdhink about why the ten principles are necessary and maybe be a little grdateful for the team, the community of volunteers (could be you) who are there to make the tempoary villiage work and keep enveryone safe. Taking time to imagine the reality makes Burn@ a bit more special for me.

Last edited by Robert Jung; 10-21-2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: was very messy and needed cleaning!
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thread Title of the Week 
Not everything is Reality Based!

Although some aspects of Burn2 realistically mirror the Nevada dessert Burning Man, SL is still SL so of course other aspects of Burn2 are unique to virtual reality;-)

for instance:

Balloons moving down the road with attached floating watermelon ;-)

flying saucers

Shiney!

Yes this really is a porta potty ;-)

and people riding on tour buses driven by a glowing alien ;-)

Last edited by Robert Jung; 10-21-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: I have my reasons ;-)
1 User Said Thanks:
4 Users Like This:
Old 10-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thread Title of the Week 
Fire!

I like fire! Partly that's just the little boy in me wanting to play with matches, but there's a deeper spiritual side to it too.

Fire is important in both RL Burning Man and SL Burn2. A group of Burners called the "Lamp lighters" gathers together (in the Lamp lighters camp area) and then form a procession walking towards the Burning Man Temple, and light lamps along the way to light the path during the night. Lamplighter then dance and drummers drum for most of the night. There are also Burners who dance with fire! In the Nevada Burning Man the Lamplighters, drummers and Fire Dancers are separate groups (I think) but in SL they tend to group together ;-)

So how about some RL Nevada pictures!

Fire Dancing!

Now let's look at SL Burn2 pics

Here are Lamp Lighters hanging out in their camp. They were milling around anxious to get moving. I'm afraid I had to ask them to pose sitting in the camp ;-) SL Lamp Lighters always seem to be moving - they don't really sit that much ;-)

Then they line up for the procession. Because this is SL a Taco gun is fired off and tacos fall all over the lamp lighters ;-)

(sorry I didn't get a good picture of the tacos -you'll just have to trust me that's what the little things in the air are) ;-)

SL Fire Dancing

Fire Dancers can't get hurt in SL so they tend to go just a little bit overboard! Don't try this at home kids!

I am inside this fire somewhere and I live to tell the story ;-)

the fire became more manageable later ;-)

I like drumming best:-) Free drums are available to anyone who wants one. You need to join the group and attend meetings to wear the Lamp Lighters robes but everyone is invited and join they in the processions.

Check the calendar for the next Lamp Lighting procession and come join us!

Last edited by Robert Jung; 10-21-2015 at 10:09 PM.
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have to edit this????

My Mood:
Art Car Tour with Robert

Robert visits my campsite

Interactive Dance

Lamplighters' Procession
2 Users Like This:
Old 10-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Resident Clydesdale

*SLU Supporter*

Cuteness level: 10

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/4/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne McCann View Post
Inner Child Camp is a faux "KidsVille" + art installation. It follows close along the playa aesthetic, but is not a faithful re-creation of Kidsville.

Come visit and explore. Check out the meander maze and climb the towers. Play a while.
Or bounce on the trampoline. (I had them come and put in new springs after I got done).

Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thread Title of the Week 
Bacon, & other Cool Stuff!

Bacon! & other cool stuff!

Steam Tank!
(I'm disappointed in the picture-it's hard to see the gun turret located on top of the cab -it looks great in-world)

Fireworks

Ultralight aeroplanes!

Mirrors that reflect your true inner self ;-)

1 User Likes This:
Old 10-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thread Title of the Week 
Music, Dance?

Yep, Burn2 haz em ;-)

Here is The Robot Band!

The Rogeury has shows that tend toward the tasteful erotic side ;-)
Timing is important; there was sexy here half a second before I took the picture ;-)

2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thread Title of the Week 
Tonight I crashed many, many times!
But I did get to see MYF at her "Duck and Cover" movie build and I watched a film about how to ask a girl for a date!

1 User Said Yay!:
Myf
3 Users Like This:
Old 10-23-2015, 11:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thread Title of the Week 
The Man Burns

Saturday

6am SLT
12 SLT
6pm SLT
Old 10-24-2015, 05:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jung View Post
Tonight I crashed many, many times!
But I did get to see MYF at her "Duck and Cover" movie build and I watched a film about how to ask a girl for a date!
Glad to see you got a watchable stream in the end.
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
feral ballerina

Hello, I'm the groove operator. Please hold the line.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2004
Business: D3volution

Trance dance last night at Burn 2

That's Myf (on the left) and I (on the right) nearest the camera. Somewhere behind the sparkle emitting avatar, you can almost discern Tracer's avatar as a cyborg-leg equipped porpoise.
Attached Thumbnails
Burn2 2015-burn-2-trance-dance_001.jpg  
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 10-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have to edit this????

My Mood:
Waiting for the Man to burn - Al and I are in the striped carnival jackets. Robert is somewhere on the playa at this point, standing in the middle of the road.

The Man burns

Fire dancing as the walls collapsed around us

Fire dancing in the Man debris - Mia is behind me, with the jester hat

Last edited by Mistryl Glyn; 10-24-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Mistryl Glyn is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have to edit this????

My Mood:
Robert's a greeter. So I tested his skills. He excelled.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Thread Title of the Week 
Reminder

Last Man burn at 9pm SLT

Temple burns Sunday 6am SLT, 12n SSLT. 6pm SLT

The active aspect of the event ends Sunday night but the builds remain up for several more days!
Old 10-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jung View Post
Reminder

Last Man burn at 9pm SLT
Pretty sure the burn's at 6pm.
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

Thread Title of the Week 

The temple burns at 12pm SLT today and again at 6pm SLT tonight.
3 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Like This:
Old 10-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

meaniehead

My Mood:

The Final Temple burn is about to happen folks.

Second Life Maps | Burning Man- Frog Pond

Also, will be playing an end of the Burn set at Center camp from 9-11pm SLT

Second Life Maps | Burning Man- Jade
Tracer Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-25-2015, 09:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have to edit this????

My Mood:
Final Lamplighters' Procession before final Temple Burn

Waiting for final Temple Burn

The Temple burns

Somehow, Tracer did not burn

Robert
2 Users Said Yay!:
3 Users Like This: