Inventory Sizes & Tips - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > General SL Discussion » Inventory Sizes & Tips

General SL Discussion Discuss topics related to Second Life

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Persona Non Grata

Cougar

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/05/2010
Client: Firestorm x64
Smile Inventory Sizes & Tips

What is considered a high inventory count and what number are you at currently?

Does your inventory size affect the SL experience in any way or doesn't it really matter?

Mine tipped 20,000 items recently and was wondering what number is considered high. I've since had a clear out of duplicate and unwanted items, LMs and even boxed a few things I don't want to delete but am reluctant to lose. I am fairly organised person, but began to wonder never the less.

Any other inventory tricks or tips to share?
Vixen Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Gingerbeard Man

*SLU Supporter*

Class of '08

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08/11/2008
Business: Club Noir
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Mine is almost 30k and at this size I've not noticed any drop in performance (compared with alts who have inventory size under 10k). In the last year or so I've been very lazy about getting rid of things like unwanted notecards and other stuff.

I hear anecdotes of people blaming large inventories for teleport slowness/crashes, usually from people whose inventories are near 100k. It was more of an issue in years past, I think.

I don't bother boxing up or deleting unwanted stuff. My inventory organisation plan involves lots and lots of nested subfolders, and never logging off without putting every new acquisition in its rightful place.
Lewis Luminos is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Mood:

~74,000 here. No lag on me. There used to be in the past, in comparison with my low-inventory alts. But that's all near gone after the Lab's more major updates. (^_^)

As for keeping things in order; Folders, folders, folders in folders, and folders. (^_^)y
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Agreed:
Old 10-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
I managed for years to keep my inventory under 10,000 which was supposedly a "safe" number, but I finally lost that battle. I'm currently fighting to stay under 15,000 instead. I can't say I've noticed any drop in performance since crossing that 10k milestone, so it may have been an apocryphal number or one that has ceased to be meaningful due to tech changes on the grid.

Nesting items in folders is supposed to help reduce performance load from inventory items, and I remember Desmond saying that too many Calling Cards can create issues.

Based on previous threads (this is a topic near and dear to many of us and is endlessly debated), your 20,000 is nowhere near the high end. People with 50,000 and upwards to over 100,000 have you beat by a mile.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
♂♂

*SLU Supporter*

*Poof!*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25th May 2007

I've had mine as high as 120,000 items. It's now around the 50k mark. I've never really noticed a correlation between inventory size and lag.
I'm a hoarder! I hate going through stuff... especially those marked object in the deleted items folder as i usually find an unfinished build and become re-inspired to work on it. Then still forget to name it when i take it back to my inventory!
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*

Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf

I actually do notice a performance drop. Logins take quite a bit longer on this account than my low-inventory alts.

My suggestion is organize. Every day.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

SL Join Date: 1/31/2011
Business: Cool Beans Estates
Client: Dolphin
Send a message via Skype™ to seanabrady
I took my Avi from over 60k to around 24k and didn't notice any increase in performance for doing so. Create a system that works for you and can be maintained. Use lots of folders (even LL says this is good for performance) and keep up with the folders daily.
seanabrady is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Just a Glitch

Levophobic

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/11/2006
Business: Catznip
Client: Catznip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen Fox View Post
What is considered a high inventory count and what number are you at currently?

Does your inventory size affect the SL experience in any way or doesn't it really matter?

Mine tipped 20,000 items recently and was wondering what number is considered high. I've since had a clear out of duplicate and unwanted items, LMs and even boxed a few things I don't want to delete but am reluctant to lose. I am fairly organised person, but began to wonder never the less.

Any other inventory tricks or tips to share?

Inventory is often widely misunderstood in terms of its impact on the your SL experience.

It has no impact on the region you are visiting, not will it impact teleports.

Your viewer doesn't have a copy of your inventory, it just displays what the server says you have. Like a browser and a webpage.

Inventory can slow your viewer down under certain circumstances but only for a moment. When you first open an inventory window there is a lot of XML that has to be rendered to make the list. That takes some time, the more you have the longer it can take.

There is no need to "download your inventory". Really. This happens on demand.

Inventory items take up about 1k of memory per item in the viewer, so if you have 100,000 items then the viewer will be using 100mb to show you a listing of these items. Which isn't very much at all.

If you open 2 inventory windows then you will use 200mb .. you get the idea.

Many listings in the viewer are inventory windows that only show you a small selection of your total list. This is why closing all windows in the viewer and relogging can give your a good performance boost - the viewer is literally smaller.

Never feel the need to clear your cache and refresh your inventory, it doesn't do what you think it's doing. It's just wasting time, bandwidth and eating up memory you might not actually need this session.

Re logging will fix almost all inventory glitches - your inventory is never broken just your local rendering of it might be wonky. (aside from a couple of very rare exceptional circumstances, and for those you need to file a support ticked, no amount of viewer voodoo will help you).

Plenty of viewer problems can be caused by your local inventory going a bit astray - like a stuck outfit or missing attachments. Just relog, 99% of the time that will fix the problem.

For your own sanity, if you start sorting your inventory you need to keep it up. a few years in SL and you will never make any sense of it.

Don't become too attached to your stuff. Most if it will never see the windlight a month after buying it and it's not like it has any value to anyone other than yourself.

If you are having inventory issues, try teleporting to a empty full region and relogging - KARA is one of these and it's easy to remember - just type kara in the address bar, hit enter and after you teleport, relog.

Be patient.

Do not obsess over the exact number of items you have, that number can change dynamically as you change outfits.
2 Users Like This:
Old 10-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
I'm at about 35K.

Most of it is the Objects folder, which has never been weeded out.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 10-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2010
I'm somewhere around 12.000. But I plan to throw out all the landmarks that come with items. Most places have changed or do not exist anymore.
Syo Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
i recently cut down from 119k to 91k. Before LL updated it use to take several minutes to load.... now it's fairly quick even if i cleaned my cache it normally l brings it up of after a minute or two. if i have an issue i hop to the offical viewer and wait for it to load there then hop back over to third party. I feel bad trying to clean it cause it feels like i'm deleting myself and my history. sometimes i just do a giant sweep of my inventory while in folders by date mode very quickly and try to zone out and not to think about it. I rarely go back anyway but the " What if i need it later?" question bugs me. wish i could get someone to do it for me.

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
perpetual lurker

status edited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 09, 2008
Business: current outfit
my inventory hovers anywhere between 40k-60k, depending on how motivated i've been to keep it organized. i always delete landmarks, mostly delete notecards, get rid of textures and unpacking scripts, i delete older skins and outdated clothes or anything i haven't touched in a long, long time... but i shop a lot, and blog a lot, and my inventory numbers seem to go up and up no matter what i do. i try to keep 50k as a benchmark to then go on a organizing and deleting spree, but i think at the moment i'm probably edging closer to 60k.

i'd also say that for me, i try not to fall into the trap of i'll box this stuff and keep it in case i ever want it again because i've done this in the past and never actually needed or wanted what i'd boxed up. once the items were out of my inventory proper, i never reached for them or even thought about them again, and ended up with boxes within boxes within boxes within folders and had no idea what any of it was after a year or two other than a ridiculous amount of clutter. so if you're tempted to box something up because you don't like it anymore/haven't used it in a year/have upgraded to something better, etc etc, i'd say just delete it instead unless it's incredibly sentimental.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
I know how it's spelled!

SL Join Date: Jan 2005
Client: Official Viewer
From my recollection, your inventory is nothing more than a collection of links. Inventory items are in fact just wrappers for permissions and a few other attributes. The actual asset is stored elsewhere and is referenced by your inventory item's UUID. (source)

So when you teleport around, you're not actually lugging your entire inventory with you. It's only accessed on demand from the asset server.

I believe it is as Trinity said, the only real impact from a large inventory is just downloading the list of items to the viewer - which is fairly light.

Semi related: I think this also implies that objects with large inventories don't necessarily impact a sim, as their inventories are as ours - a list of links to the actual assets which only get resolved as needed. Does this also imply that sim crossings aren't heavily impacted by object inventories as well? (not counting scripts in this case)
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2005
Client: Official client
I have a lot of stuff. I only throw away demos. I know LL did something with inventory that makes it not take as long to load as it used to, and stuff doesn't disappear like it used to. I think some stuff that I thought I had lost has even come back (we'll never know for sure). Whatever it was, they are gods to me for this. Not god-like, but gods.
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansarya View Post
[…] I know LL did something with inventory that makes it not take as long to load as it used to, and stuff doesn't disappear like it used to. […]
I think that was switching to the HTTP protocol for inventory fetching.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

watching

SL Join Date: 27/10/2010
Client: Official (w/Starlight) & Catznip
Mine's a bit over 30k, and the only time i actually wish to have a smaller one is when i really have to clear cache (which happens allmost never anymore), then it feels like its taking years to load.

And as most of the others said, its all about organizing. Foldes, subfolders, sub-subfolders etc.. Or whatever works for you.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 10-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxelf View Post

I actually do notice a performance drop. Logins take quite a bit longer on this account than my low-inventory alts.

My suggestion is organize. Every day.
I clicked "Yay!" for your inventory size, not for the performance hit.

I'm up to 68,000 but I cannot seem to find the time to do reasonable reorganization, which I consider to be:
  • Delete notecards and landmarks you receive if they're not going to do you any good later on. It's amazing how many of these we get when joining a club, buying something, or just hanging around. NCs and LMs are a huge inventory waster.
  • After you've been in world long enough, you'll have clothing and .. well, crap ... that obviously has no further use. Rez a prim, label it something informative, and start dragging crap to the box. (Note: this won't work with no-trans items, unfortunately. This is why I cannot bear to delete some of the 2005-2006 prim shoes that I store for nostalgic purposes!).
  • Do the same with textures and screenshots. But if they're transferrable/copyable, you can also open the texture and save it to your HD, then delete in world.

Like I said, I suck at inventory management. Nine years in SL and I often wonder how big my inventory would be if I hadn't spent 2 or 3 of those years not logging in.

I don't really notice performance hits (maybe when I'm loading, if then), but I do have one hell of a time finding anything in inventory even after setting up a long and deep folder system for clothing, shoes and hair (my biggest categories).
Old 10-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Disco Bandit

Blogging...BRB next year

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 10,2010
143K and I never experience performance or lag issues.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Swing Kid

*SLU Supporter*

Life is a cabaret old chum, come to the cabaret....

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November 8,2006
Business: Club Noir
Client: Singularity Alpha

I'm at 26K. I try to keep it under 25K
I have noticed that my alts with low numbers tp faster.
Madison Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
My main account was pushing 100K, I finished a ruthless purge and now down below 80k.

If you have ~100,000 items and you've just cleared your cache, you will see lag when trying to change outfits. You'll probably see yourself as a blob until your inventory is finished "fetching". You'll lock up momentarily when trying to open up a new inventory window.

I have several hundred outfits defined, each one contains up to 50 items - that's close to 20K inventory items right there. Why do those count, as they are just pointers to other inventory items?

my alt is 10k and takes significantly less time to login, multiple inventory window opens are instantaneous.

Last edited by jacqueline trudeau; 10-29-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: an avatar is a BLOB, not a BLOG! Thanks, Cindy!
jacqueline trudeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #21 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
And as most of the others said, its all about organizing. Foldes, subfolders, sub-subfolders etc.. Or whatever works for you.
More specifically, for me:

[Folder] - Shoes
.....[sub-folder] - Heels or Boots?
........[sub-folder] - Store name
...........[sub-folder] - Individual shoe item

Now you know why it takes me for-freaking ever to find anything
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
3 Users Hugged You:
Old 10-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline trudeau View Post
You'll probably see yourself as a blog
Is that a new mesh avatar?
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
37,487 here, which is odd, considering I have a store.

But then I've boxed up or deleted a bunch of crap over the years.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity Dejavu View Post
Never feel the need to clear your cache and refresh your inventory, it doesn't do what you think it's doing.
Sometime clearing cache is the only way to clear up weird SL gliches. Many customers of mine have reported this error on animation loads: "Could not find animation ‘00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000′" The only resolution is clearing cache and restarting.
jacqueline trudeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

One more point I want to make: I never had what I consider a large inventory (> 50k) until I started building things and making clothes. Suddenly, inventory size ballooned x2 and x3 its original size.

My 68k right now is actually a vastly reduced number since I got out of the creation business a few years ago and moved all my textures and prims to boxes. It could easily be 90-120k by now otherwise.

Tags
inventory , tips