Microsoft to Reveal Next-gen Xbox May 21st - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Gaming » Microsoft to Reveal Next-gen Xbox May 21st

Gaming Discuss all aspects of gaming.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 12, 2003

Awards: 1
Gaming Guru 
Microsoft to Reveal Next-gen Xbox May 21st

From Joystiq:

Quote:
The event will have a global stream on Xbox.com, Xbox Live and Spike TV (US and Canada). No word yet if the Xbox 360 Pizza Hut app will also stream the event.

"On that day, we'll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future. Then, 19 days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we'll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games," said Xbox's community guru Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb.

The event is titled "A New Generation Revealed" and will occur at Microsoft's Redmond, Washington, campus on Tuesday, May 21 at 1PM Eastern (10AM Pacific, 6PM UK).
Microsoft to reveal next generation Xbox May 21

I read awhile back that the CEO of GameStop thought that it will be the best console of the next generation. If he thinks that it will be able to play used games.
Edav Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Chillin' like a villain in my TARDIS, y'all!

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm....most of the time
The `always connected to the internet' thing isn't good. But if the rumors about it not being able to play used games is true, it will kill the system dead.
Eric Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Knox View Post
The `always connected to the internet' thing isn't good. But if the rumors about it not being able to play used games is true, it will kill the system dead.
I need to find the article but if the CEO of GameStop likes the next Xbox it'll play used games.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Defying Gravity

SLU Griefer Clan Member

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2-18-04
Client: Firestorm
Is the Xbox still relevant?
I am convinced the only way you will ever get the WII-U away from daughter is to pry out of her fingers.
She never play the X-box any more.
Same with my son
I don't think they have turned the X-Box on in 6 months.
Never hear them or the friends talk about the X-Box
Roxie Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie Marten View Post
Is the Xbox still relevant?
I am convinced the only way you will ever get the WII-U away from daughter is to pry out of her fingers.
She never play the X-box any more.
Same with my son
I don't think they have turned the X-Box on in 6 months.
Never hear them or the friends talk about the X-Box
Wait a few months and then she'll probably will never touch the Wii U again.

I liked the Wii for a few months and then it became a dust catcher.

The Xbox 360 was outselling the PS globally til just recently but still outsells the Wii U.

Also:

Wii outsells Wii U | T3

Quote:
According to Nintendo's own figures, the 3.98m Wiis were sold since its new console launched. That's 53,000 more Wiis sold than Wii Us.

Nintendo has said that it believes that when major software titles begin shipping later this year, sales will pick up.

However, with such low sales, it is feasible retailers may start scaling back the number of shelves they dedicate to the Wii U. If that starts happening before those games arrive, then the console will be in real trouble.
Nintendo better watch out or they could become like Sega which got out of the hardware business and went strictly into third-party software.
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Curiosity's end may coincide with new Xbox reveal | Joystiq

Quote:
Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube is now officially down to its last 50 layers. Even Peter Molyneux is impatient for 22Cans' bizarre iOS experiment to end, telling Polygon: "Enough's enough, for crying out loud."

The game, which is about tapping to remove dots from a cube to reveal the "life-changing" secret within, features a countdown timer running toward the projected end of the experiment, when one person will clear the final layer.

"I thought six months was about the length of time that Curiosity should go on before it closed, and this is almost exactly the six month anniversary of the end of Curiosity," Molyneux told GameSpot. "Bizarrely, as part of that controversy, is that the end of the cube – the last layer of the cube – might well be, I mean probably if you look at our analysis of probability, the same day that the next Xbox is announced. Which would be a bizarre twist of fate." The next Xbox is due to be revealed May 21.

Or a bizarre twist of Pete? Regarding the coincidence, he told GameSpot, "There's an interesting opportunity, possibly, for me to ... well, I can't say any more than that. There may be some words from me around that time. I'm not saying any more." Confirmed: The next Xbox will come in a box made of billions of tiny cubes.
My guess is that Molyneux's company 22cans will be making an exclusive next Xbox game.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Ex-Bizarre Creation devs Lucid tease possible reveal at next-gen Xbox event | Joystiq

Quote:
Lucid Games, the UK independent studio formed by former Bizarre Creations staff in 2011, is teasing "mid-May" news of some kind, a window that happens to match up with the expected May 21 reveal of the next Xbox. A recent status update on the studio's Facebook page reads: "So yeah, Mid-May will be interesting for the studio. We have some exciting updates coming. Stay tuned!"
Quote:
Rumors of a return for PGR go as far back as 2010, when, according to a Develop source, it emerged Microsoft was looking for a European developer to take on the series.

When approached, a Lucid Games spokesperson told us he "can't say anything at the moment."
Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Microsoft: Next Xbox will work even when your Internet doesn't | Ars Technica

Quote:
Should single-player games, Blu-ray playback, and live TV viewing be possible on a gaming console with no Internet connection? Most gamers would say "yes," but they have been worried that Microsoft feels differently; the next generation Xbox has been consistently rumored to require a permanent network connection.

It won't.

According to an internal Microsoft e-mail sent to all full-time employees working on the next Xbox, "Durango [the codename for the next Xbox] is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet." It continues, "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

The quotation also implicitly confirms another rumor: the next Xbox will sport an HDMI input, to allow cable boxes to be hooked up for live TV viewing. Our sources tell us that the console will be able to provide TV listings and similar information.

How far this offline support will extend still isn't clear. It could take the form of a fully offline mode akin to that on the Xbox 360 (insert optical disc, install game, play, all without an Internet connection) or it could be more like Steam (install and activate online but enable subsequent offline play once this has been done).
Old 05-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edav Nomad View Post
Nintendo better watch out or they could become like Sega which got out of the hardware business and went strictly into third-party software.
Sure, if Nintendo makes a whole lot of mistakes over the next ten years, driving their business into the ground, they could very well wind up like Sega....just as much as Sony and Microsoft could if they did the same.

The thing is, none of them appear to be going that route any time soon.

There were a number of factors which lead to Sega bowing out of the hardware market, none of which really apply to Nintendo's current situation. Sega had been struggling for several generations of hardware, Sony was engaging in utterly shameless false advertising which presented the PS2 as capable of delivering PS3 quality graphics which put to shame anything the poor Dreamcast was capable of (the reality later turned out to be that early PS2 games looked worse than what was available on Dreamcast), and there was a suicidal level of in-fighting between Sega's American and Japanese branches.

I do predict this being a bad generation for Microsoft, tho. Every console developer goes through a predictable cycle. They go through a period of working hard to build a good relationship with gamers and dame devs which pays off with a lot of success. Then they get greedy and start doing things that really piss off gamers and game devs which results in a poor market performance that they need to work hard at to turn around.

Right now, Microsoft is riding high on that peak, they've been top dog in the console market this generation and started taking advantage of that to increase their profits, customers and game devs be damned.

If the rumours are true and the next MS console doesn't allow used games, has a restrictive online requirement, etcetera, I expect it to go over about as well as;

Do I expect MS to do so badly that it drives them out of the market? Not really. I do suspect they'll get taken down a few pegs, tho.

Meanwhile, Sony is at the other end of that, coming out of a generation that didn't go nearly as well as they would have liked, and I suspect they'll be spending this generation doing everything they can to win back the top spot.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Next Xbox rumors: specs, developers, GPU, and more | The Verge

We'll see in a few days.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Two things that will be talked about during the reveal:

FIFA 14 goes next-gen in tomorrow's Xbox reveal event | Joystiq

UFC news scheduled for tomorrow's Xbox reveal event | Joystiq
Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
Xbox One? Shouldn't it be Xbox Three?
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

LLvangelist

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/12/2006
Business: [H]arsh Styles
Client: Always changing, and too lazy to edit.
They said, "here's a trailer of a game from Remedy", and it was 90% live action footage. Not exactly selling me on the capabilities of the console.

I guess they are touting some TV service. Meh. I guess this is the new thing though, tying TV shows and games together.

The truth doesn't care if you agree with it or disagree with it. It continues to be regardless, unchanged. Denying the truth is only lying to yourself. - Darien Caldwell
Darien Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/6/2004
Dumb name, none of the tv/cable or kinect stuff interests me, i'd watch an exclusive halo tv series if I had access to it but I won't buy something for that privilege. Barely any information about hardware, not much of anything about games.

I don't think i'm in the Xbox One target audience, which is fine.

I'll just get a PS4, probably a year after release.

Though, that 15 exclusives in the first year might be something. I guess we'll have to wait until E3.
Lianne Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
I think they call it Xbox One because of the All-in-one emphasis.

It's called a "reader trailer" so it doesn't have to make sense.

I think they should have shown more about the console like the brief mention of sharing your game videos. It was too short and needed to show at least some of those exclusives mentioned. They did say after the end of it on Spike TV that it won't be always on like during the playing of single-player games. Why didn't they mention that during the presentation?

But to tell the truth I was at the beginning impressed with it but later they dropped the ball a bit with not showing many games. Sony was better at showing that even though I wasn't impressed with most of their games.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
Being able to multitask with split screen while watching tv looks very cool and useful. Voice commands for navigating tv I think is awesome. I can never remember channel numbers and I hate having to flip past the 200 channels I don't get with my package. Being able to get to HBO or SyFy or whatever in the guide or directly to the channel with voice commands is pretty awesome in my opinion. The responsiveness of the UI was very impressive. Not a lot about games and everything they showed was trailer stuff with no actual gameplay but they're saving all that for E3. I'm tentatively impressed.
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

*cat noises*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
How much extra for the Xbox Zero?
[confused cats against feminism]
la lucha sigue...
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/6/2004
FIFA stuff exclusive, timed exclusive Call of Duty DLC, all the fantasy sports stuff... yeah, this thing will sell pretty well.
Lianne Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
How Xbox One Plans to Fight Sony, Steam, and Everything Else | Game|Life | Wired.com

Quote:
There’s one feature of Xbox One from which we can infer quite a few conclusions: You can install any game from the disc to the console’s hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in.

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

And what of the persistent rumors that Xbox One games will be “always online” – that is, that single-player games would require a constant online connection to function? As it turns out, those rumors were not unfounded, but the reality is not so draconian. Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.

Are developers forced to create games that have these online features, and are thus not playable offline? They are not, Xbox exec Whitten said to Wired — but “I hope they do.” So the always-online future may come in incremental steps.
At the end of the article the writer believes that a mostly gaming machine is not the way to go any more in this post-iPhone age we live in which could be why the PS Vita and 3DS struggled. Which could mean that Microsoft has the right idea.

Always on doesn't bother me since anytime I'm on my Xbox 360 it's connected. I can see myself getting an Xbox One before even thinking about getting a PS4 since so far it looks like the Xbox One will have more exclusive games.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #22 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
When I used to console game with my friends after college, we always had 2 TVs, one for gaming on and one for watching TV.

My son has 2 TVs in his room and plays the same way. He and most of the teens I know use their Xbox as their complete entertainment center. He watches HBOGo on it, Netflix,ESPN etc.

The people that actually own a XBox and use it are going to love it.

As far as installing games to the hard drive, I am all for it, nothing makes my blood boil like talking in a room and seeing $70 just laying on the floor or just out and not in a case. Discs are a pain in the ass.
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Xbox One and PlayStation 4 specs compared | Joystiq

They are very similar except that the Xbox One itself has 8GB of DDR3 RAM compared to the PS4's 8GB DDR5 RAM. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see how that makes much of a difference between the two.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
When I used to console game with my friends after college, we always had 2 TVs, one for gaming on and one for watching TV.

My son has 2 TVs in his room and plays the same way. He and most of the teens I know use their Xbox as their complete entertainment center. He watches HBOGo on it, Netflix,ESPN etc.

The people that actually own a XBox and use it are going to love it.

As far as installing games to the hard drive, I am all for it, nothing makes my blood boil like talking in a room and seeing $70 just laying on the floor or just out and not in a case. Discs are a pain in the ass.
I have my computer, gaming consoles and Dish Network connected to the same HDTV so something like this is ideal for me especially with the seamless changeover between devices. It would at least eliminate me from having to have to use my remote to switch between my HDTV and the Xbox.
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
On Twitch they are talking about the hardware live.