All things SW:TOR - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Gaming » All things SW:TOR

Gaming Discuss all aspects of gaming.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Clearly Mad

Fraternizes with Brits

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Aug. 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Mad Mouse
Star Wars: The Old Republic beta test attracts 2 million players | Massively

Quote:
t's no secret that Star Wars: The Old Republic is one of the most highly anticipated MMORPGs in recent memory, and the game's recently concluded public testing phase confirms the hype. The game's publisher, EA, announced that the SWTOR test phase drew in over 2 million players, and of those 2 million, 750,000 unique players jumped into the game over the Thanksgiving weekend alone.

EA also shared some interesting statistics about the game's test players. Over the holiday weekend, players averaged about 12 hours of game time each for a grand total of over 9 million hours of playtime across the playerbase.

"Sometimes, in madness resides genius"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
This has to be some of the stupidest e-peen dick wagging I have ever seen.
My Sadly Neglected Flickr
Mad Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Panda Hugs!

one happy panda

My Mood:
Client: 1.23
we needs it mousie D:
Bullet Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #28 (permalink)

What is my purpose?

My Mood:
According to discussion on SA it's been confirmed that if you have the latest beta build installed you don't need to uninstall, it will patch itself to the release build.

eta: I'm kind of wondering how RPing on RP serers is going to go if everyone of the same class is basically the same 'character' doing the same class-specific stuff...
The Republican Party needs to end now. You've fucked everything up. All your representatives are assholes and your primitive ideas are holding our country back. You are all utterly and completely worthless and irredeemable, and you hate human beings, America, and the planet we all share.
Seyla Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Monkeh Foo Master

*SLU Supporter*

You fight the fights that need fighting!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 16th, 2006
If anyone has been attempting to re-install the beta client, now would be a good time to do it. I was able to successfully log in and am currently re-installing the latest build.

Obviously only do this if you uninstalled previously or because of that email sent out earlier today. If you don't have 'SWTOR_setup.exe', then head over to Star Wars: The Old Republic | Game Testing (make sure you're logged out, otherwise you won't see the 'Download Now!' button).
Kavik Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #30 (permalink)

What is my purpose?

My Mood:
/me scrambles to uninstall a bunch of Steam stuff to fit the TOR client somewhere

"Sword of the Stars 2? Bleh, won't be playable for at least 3 months. DELETED"

eta: DO NOT CLICK THESE, awesome Imperial Agent story spoilers:

http://i.imgur.com/bq0UP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5bx6X.jpg
Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #31 (permalink)

Reality Check

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/08/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik Brock View Post
As we draw closer to the go-live of SW:TOR, I was thinking we should have an all encompassing thread to discuss the new game and all of the trappings that go along with it.

Jump in with your take on the beta weekend(s) you were involved in, list any good informational sites that you have come across, or just discuss the guild you are going to have once the game goes live.
  • What class of toon are you going to roll first?
  • What type of server (PvP, PvE, RP) do you plan to roll on?
  • What kind of guild (raiding, casual, leveling, etc.) are you planning on joining or creating?
  • Is your guild going to have open (anyone) or limited (selected few) enrollment?

Share your guild information, screenshots, guild website/blog, SW:TOR guild site, etc.
1) Sith Inquistor or Jedi Knight
2)PVE
3)I have no luck with guilds, so I won't be joining any.
4)See above
melponeme_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #32 (permalink)
Monkeh Foo Master

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melponeme_k View Post
1) Sith Inquistor or Jedi Knight
2)PVE
3)I have no luck with guilds, so I won't be joining any.
4)See above
While I very much enjoy solo-play in an MMO (I know, counterintuitive ), this caught my eye - not that you said you enjoy solo-play, just the guild comment itself.

If I am intruding, please let me know, but what is it about guilds that you don't have any luck with - in general?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #33 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 12, 2003

Awards: 1
Gaming Guru 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyla Warden View Post
According to discussion on SA it's been confirmed that if you have the latest beta build installed you don't need to uninstall, it will patch itself to the release build.

eta: I'm kind of wondering how RPing on RP serers is going to go if everyone of the same class is basically the same 'character' doing the same class-specific stuff...
That's good to know since I played this last weekend and was in the regular beta testing group. I won't have to uninstall then re-install.
Edav Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Copybuttering Gleefur

*SLU Supporter*

Passing the Bong along..

My Mood:
Business: Boo's Furniture
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 2
Best Redzoneapalooza Posting 
Send a message via Yahoo to Nynaboo Rhapsody
Quote:

Well our guild has kind of decided to, for our RP, ignore quite a bit of the main story in our RP, and instead come up with our own. Though when we do group stuff it will be fairly easy I think to find ways to work what you are doing in with any kind of RP you would like. Just takes some imagination I think.

I also quite like how open the world is, and how it won't be hard to find places to go with our group to RP.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #35 (permalink)

Reality Check

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/08/2006
"While I very much enjoy solo-play in an MMO (I know, counterintuitive ), this caught my eye - not that you said you enjoy solo-play, just the guild comment itself.

If I am intruding, please let me know, but what is it about guilds that you don't have any luck with - in general?"

Since I've been playing MMOs, any guild I have joined is basically just a vanity service for the person/persons who found it. I've been chatty, I've been quiet in guild chats and it doesn't make a difference. I've donated items and money to guild banks with nary ever a thank you or acknowledgement. I've asked for partners in guild for group quests only to be ignored or told that everyone had already gotten past those quests. In one guild I've been in, I was helping with some dungeon runs only to be dropped when a friend got online.

I'm done with that mess. And the way guilds are set up now, with perks in many games, I don't want to add to that system. Its just one big obnoxious mess, and I'd rather be alone. Less stress.
melponeme_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #36 (permalink)

Caffeinating~

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 19, 2008
Business: Astalianda
Client: Official
Quote:
Same way people roleplayed in Age of Conan or FFXIV or hells, even WoW. Not every character can have slain the same epic monster in-character. Not every character can have been sent to slavery and shipwrecked on the same island. Not every character can become Special Hero of Kingdom and so forth. Roleplayers just ignore the things that don't fit. Guilds usually come up with shared concepts of what they go with and what not in-character, and interacting between guilds might sometimes clash a little, but usually keeping the game's shared storyline separate from the roleplay is a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nynaboo Rhapsody View Post
Well our guild has kind of decided to, for our RP, ignore quite a bit of the main story in our RP, and instead come up with our own. Though when we do group stuff it will be fairly easy I think to find ways to work what you are doing in with any kind of RP you would like. Just takes some imagination I think.

I also quite like how open the world is, and how it won't be hard to find places to go with our group to RP.
Sonya Marmurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #37 (permalink)

What is my purpose?

My Mood:
If anyone doesn't have an up-to-date client installed, they just opened the login server a few minutes ago. I'm downloading now.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #38 (permalink)
Monkeh Foo Master

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melponeme_k View Post
Since I've been playing MMOs, any guild I have joined is basically just a vanity service for the person/persons who found it. I've been chatty, I've been quiet in guild chats and it doesn't make a difference. I've donated items and money to guild banks with nary ever a thank you or acknowledgement. I've asked for partners in guild for group quests only to be ignored or told that everyone had already gotten past those quests. In one guild I've been in, I was helping with some dungeon runs only to be dropped when a friend got online.

I'm done with that mess. And the way guilds are set up now, with perks in many games, I don't want to add to that system. Its just one big obnoxious mess, and I'd rather be alone. Less stress.
Understandable. I've been in a few WoW guilds (on Alts) that I experienced a lot of the same things. The most recent guild won't do much of anything for you until you get at least one too to 85; if you're lucky they may chat with you in guild chat, but don't expect any more than that. Once I get my toon to 85, though, they can't wait to have me jump into Rated BGs to help their team out.

o.O

I think you'll still enjoy SW:TOR as a solo, though. There was enough while I was in the beta to keep me occupied and it seemed the general storylines seem to allow for solo play (up until a few of the Heroic+2 things, but maybe with a companion once you outlevel the area by a few levels).

Good luck in-game! I hope we hear how your gameplay goes.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
Haggis Wrangler

*SLU Supporter*

Wibble!

Business: .::Poise::. Poses
Can someone explain this Legacy system in Noobish for me please? I get that it means you can choose a second name for your characters, but what is the benefit to your original character and the alts you roll? Also, it says you can do it once you finish your Chapter 1 story. Is that the point at which you get your ship? Or do they mean level 50? Sorry if there's an obvious answer on the official forums, but I struggled to see it
Mojo Skytower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #40 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
I just got an E-mail that says the Early Access starts on the 13th not the 15th. This below is from the official SWTOR website:

Quote:
Early Game Access* for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is only a few days away! Starting December 13, 2011, The Old Republic will begin emailing invitations to start your Early Game Access. Invitations will be sent throughout the Early Game Access period offering rolling access to the game in the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code, so be sure to check your email inbox!

To ensure that players can get into the game as quickly as possible when their Early Game Access begins, we are now allowing everyone who has redeemed a Pre-Order Code at our Code Redemption Center to pre-load the game to their computer.

In order to download the game client before Early Game Access begins, you need have already logged into your account and redeemed your Pre-Order Code. Once you have done this, you can download the game client by clicking on “My Account” in the upper-right of the window and then click “Pre-Order.” On your Pre-Order page, click the large button that says “Download Game Client” to begin download of the game!

If you participated in our recent Beta Testing Weekend between November 25th and 28th and still have the game client installed, you will be able to patch this client instead of re-installing by simply launching your client, logging in and allowing the download to complete. If you did not participate in the November 25th – 28th Beta Weekend, first uninstall the Game Testing Client and then re-install to ensure your game client will function correctly during Early Game Access.

Learn more about how to get ready for Early Game Access!

If you haven’t pre-ordered Star Wars: The Old Republic yet, you still have time. Visit our Pre-Order Page, secure your copy of the game and redeem your Pre-Order Code at the Code Redemption Center to pre-load the client and qualify for Early Game Access.
If you have any issues installing or patching the game client for The Old Republic, check visit the Customer Service Support section for information and assistance.

*Customers who redeem their Pre-Order Code at the Code Redemption Center prior to launch will be able to pre-load the Star Wars: The Old Republic Game Client before the official Game launch. Pre-loading the Game does not grant you access to the Game. Pre-Ordering the Game only allows you access to the Early Game Access period and your Color Crystal. Early Game Access may be up to 7 days. The length of your Early Game Access depends on the date and order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code. In order to continue playing the Game after the Early Game Access period, you must redeem your official Game Product Registration Code at the Code Redemption Center.
Star Wars: The Old Republic | News, Updates, Developer Blogs

I should get in the first or second day of Early Access since I had to wait a day after the pre-order started.

Last edited by Edav Nomad; 12-07-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #41 (permalink)

What is my purpose?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edav Nomad View Post
I should get in the first or second day of Early Access since I had to wait a day after the pre-order started.
. . . I pre-orders yesterday before finding out they were staggering the 'headstart' invites.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #42 (permalink)
Cute. Real Cute.

Tragically Canadian Sensibilities

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/23/2007
Business: BJ Yacht Club; Kawaii Racing
What day did pre-orders start? I bought in on 9/30 right after the Companions video came to my attention.

I am now totally looking forward to the day when I and my fellow Bounty Hunters can gather around a ring and throw our Jawas into a pit fight.

Maybe I'll call my ship the Dirty Bird.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #43 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naeve View Post
What day did pre-orders start? I bought in on 9/30 right after the Companions video came to my attention.
They started on 7/21. I got my code in on 7/22.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #44 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
I just found out that the Early Access was going to be five days long but they added the two extra days to ensure a smooth launch. Plus it allows them to better control how many people get in on each day of the Early Access. One way to see if you are able to log in is the launcher will have the "Play" button lit up. You will also receive the E-mail on the same day that you are eligible to log in.

They are also making sure that people who per-ordered get theirs will get it on the day of launch in the US, Canada and other countries. My guess is the stores probably already have or will have them soon. Also Early Access people won't get a "grace period" post launch in which those who are in Early Game Access will be able to continue to play the game. In order to continue playing past the Early Game Access period, you will need to enter a valid launch game code and payment method.

If you pre-ordered through Origin.com you get the code on 12/16. Supposedly if it was per-ordered from another retailer online the launch code will be sent through E-mail.

Last edited by Edav Nomad; 12-08-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Clarified a statement
Old 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
Monkeh Foo Master

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edav Nomad View Post
They started on 7/21. I got my code in on 7/22.
Yeah, that.

I pre-ordered via Amazon.com and entered the pre-order code that day, as well.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #46 (permalink)
Cute. Real Cute.

Tragically Canadian Sensibilities

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/23/2007
Business: BJ Yacht Club; Kawaii Racing
Thanks, BioWare, for making it impossible for me to be a responsible adult and schedule a day off for my personal launch day... #firstworldproblems
Naeve is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #47 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naeve View Post
Thanks, BioWare, for making it impossible for me to be a responsible adult and schedule a day off for my personal launch day... #firstworldproblems
I'm hoping that I get in day one since it looks like I'll only have to work for 3 hours that day but if I get day two I'll have to work 12 hours that day and won't get to play it much.
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 12-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #50 (permalink)
Haggis Wrangler

*SLU Supporter*

Wibble!

Business: .::Poise::. Poses
Is it just me or does the Trooper Vanguard look like an old school Cylon?
Mojo Skytower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioware, ea games, lucasarts, mmo, swtor