OMG! SKYRIM - Page 12 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Gaming » OMG! SKYRIM

Gaming Discuss all aspects of gaming.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #276 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/6/2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Similar McMillan View Post
Do any of you get this problem with Skyrim's builtin screenshot command (prtsc)?
I scaled it by 50%, but the greyscale, the cropping, the weird angle and the wrapping or whatever it is are from the original:

Attachment 27884
Wow that's crazy, it's like you're playing Skyrim at the whims of the Saw killer.

I usually use the Steam overlay screenshot tool (F12). It works pretty well.
Lianne Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #277 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
The thing that is starting to piss me off about dragons is that the f***ers won't land for a proper fight. I've had a few that won't come close enough to fight, but they hover out of range so I can't fast travel and get on with my business.
Another thing I sometimes find is that they get distracted super easily. They're flying around doing strafing runs on me, then they see a bear off to the west and fly off in that direction, then there's a stormcloak patrol a bit further gotta go roast them as well. Meanwhile i'm just sprinting along trying to keep up.

I just found the first word of Storm Call. I'm not gonna put up with any more of that shit.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #278 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne Marten View Post
Wow that's crazy, it's like you're playing Skyrim at the whims of the Saw killer.

I usually use the Steam overlay screenshot tool (F12). It works pretty well.
yeah, that works for me too, but the compression is a bit harsh, so sometimes it'd be nice to take uncompressed screenshots (the program I usually use for that uses prtsc too, so it doesn't work with Skyrim).

It seems I'm not the only one with the problem, but I haven't found any solutions at all.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #279 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Is the rumour about Ulfric killing the old king with his voice ever explained? Since only the Dragonborn or the Greybeards can use voice that way, I thought there'd be some explanation, but I've done the Civil War questline
and still nothing.

I kind of figured he started that rumour himself so people would think he was the Dragonborn, but some of the conversations he has with his people in Windhelm could be taken to mean that he actually did it.
Also not quite sure lying about it fits his character.
Similar McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #280 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Scary Night Elf girl

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads Special Achievement In Nazi References Special Achievement in Thread Titling Thread Title of the Week 
If you listen carefully to what the Greybeards say, they mention that some people are more talented & adept at using the Voice than others. That implied, to me, that Ulfric was someone who probably had limited voice powers but nowhere near as much as you, the Dragonborn.

There are other Dragonborn, and there are those who have learned to shout without actually being Dragonborn. The sole sign of a true Dragonborn is whether they absorb the soul of a dragon after killing it.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #281 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
If you listen carefully to what the Greybeards say, they mention that some people are more talented & adept at using the Voice than others. That implied, to me, that Ulfric was someone who probably had limited voice powers but nowhere near as much as you, the Dragonborn.
yeh. I haven't managed to shout anyone apart, though.

Quote:
There are other Dragonborn, and there are those who have learned to shout without actually being Dragonborn. The sole sign of a true Dragonborn is whether they absorb the soul of a dragon after killing it.
Right. I forgot the last bit.

I was hoping there'd be some story about how it was either a PR scheme or that someone (maybe a Greybeard or even a dragon) had taught Ulfric.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #282 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
At one point I was talking to Ulfric, and he said that it was not his voice that killed Torygg--the high king was stunned, and then Ulfric stabbed him. It came up in some random chatting so I don't remember the triggers for the conversation. But that is consistent with what others who can Shout are capable of.

Unofficial Elder Scrolls Wiki has more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Williams
Well, red usually means "Caution," or "Beef" if it's a bouillon cube.
Veritable Quandry is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #283 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Is the rumour about Ulfric killing the old king with his voice ever explained? Since only the Dragonborn or the Greybeards can use voice that way, I thought there'd be some explanation, but I've done the Civil War questline
and still nothing.

I kind of figured he started that rumour himself so people would think he was the Dragonborn, but some of the conversations he has with his people in Windhelm could be taken to mean that he actually did it.
Also not quite sure lying about it fits his character.

I do know that Ulfric will shout during the last battle inside Castle Dour at the end of Taking Back Skyrim. I didn't pay enough attention to the shout he used but it sounded like Disarm.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #284 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Scary Night Elf girl

My Mood:

Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads Special Achievement In Nazi References Special Achievement in Thread Titling Thread Title of the Week 
Quote:
I was hoping there'd be some story about how it was either a PR scheme or that someone (maybe a Greybeard or even a dragon) had taught Ulfric.
His mentor was obviously Donald Trump.
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #285 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
I do know that Ulfric will shout during the last battle inside Castle Dour at the end of Taking Back Skyrim. I didn't pay enough attention to the shout he used but it sounded like Disarm.
ah. I actually reloaded that bit to try to determine if that sound was a shout, but I didn't see Ulfric do anything, so I wasn't certain. It does sound like one. And Disarm seems pretty weak (I haven't had any luck disarming anyone with it), so it might make sense it has no effect.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #286 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
He learned The Voice by training with the Greybeards, yeah. How he killed High King Torygg was probably a Fus to get him off balance, then stabbed him in the heart.

Disarm's effectiveness is based off the level of the person you are using it on and how many words you put into it. He can probably only use the first word, so using it on the Dragonborn... not gonna do much. The Draugr Deathlords can also use Disarm, but they use all three words so it almost always works. It's annoying as hell.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #287 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne Marten View Post
Disarm's effectiveness is based off the level of the person you are using it on and how many words you put into it. He can probably only use the first word, so using it on the Dragonborn... not gonna do much. The Draugr Deathlords can also use Disarm, but they use all three words so it almost always works. It's annoying as hell.
oh. I've only been disarmed once in the 200 hours I've played and I thought that was because the draugr I was fighting was special somehow (one of the protectors of that amulet you collect the parts of, IIRC).
Wonder if I have some protection against disarming. If so, I must have had it pretty much always.

On the other hand, the Fus of some draugrs has really thrown me around at times, sometimes instakilling me.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #288 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
The physics can be pretty wonky sometimes, and getting tossed around doesn't have a set damage to it. You know how sometimes you walk over a pot and it spazzes out and damages you, while other times it just gets nudged away? Same thing, except you're the pot.

Looks like Disarm only works on things under level 30, so once you hit that they stop using the shout, since you'll be immune.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #289 (permalink)
Makes breakfast spooky!

Spooky talk from toaster, spooky eat-me toast. Yum yum yum human hand.

SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
ah. I actually reloaded that bit to try to determine if that sound was a shout, but I didn't see Ulfric do anything, so I wasn't certain. It does sound like one. And Disarm seems pretty weak (I haven't had any luck disarming anyone with it), so it might make sense it has no effect.
You need all three subshouts. I can disarm Drauger overlords with it.

SL easily allows you to accidentally your entire pants. -- Adeon Writer

Let me avow you one object that you meliorate pound into your skull pearl: Metric Release PILLS ARE Bastard! -- Some Spammer

Beezle is made of brawn, rubies, and Villainy. With a dash of MONSTER TRUCKS.
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #290 (permalink)
The Purple

HEYOO!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
I thought that was because the draugr I was fighting was special somehow (one of the protectors of that amulet you collect the parts of, IIRC).
Scary random semi-OT fact >_>
I cleared up that certain last hall without even being attacked once. No, not hit..attacked. Sneak 100, silent casting + Invisibility spell, and a certain perk + equipment that gives me x30 damage for dagger backstabs total. At level 32.

Illusion thieves/assassins are overpowered against everything except dragons. They -majorly suck- there as you can't do backstabs or stealth-bowshots against them if they are awake.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #291 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 12, 2003

Gaming Guru 
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim patch 1.4.27 fixes companion sneaking | PC Gamer

Quote:
Followers now sneak properly when player is sneaking.
Edav Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #292 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
Scary random semi-OT fact >_>
I cleared up that certain last hall without even being attacked once. No, not hit..attacked. Sneak 100, silent casting + Invisibility spell, and a certain perk + equipment that gives me x30 damage for dagger backstabs total. At level 32.

Illusion thieves/assassins are overpowered against everything except dragons. They -majorly suck- there as you can't do backstabs or stealth-bowshots against them if they are awake.
That at least forces a bit of rethinking. As I remember it, nothing caused problems for my stealth archers in Oblivion once I'd reached decent skill levels.
Nothing much does for them in Skyrim either, but sneaking isn't quite as certain to hide you as it was in Oblivion; I do get spotted relatively often even with 100 Sneak and a number of the perks.
Sadly, much of the time I can't tell why I get spotted so it doesn't feel right, just random.

Also, I managed to backstab a sleeping dragon (or, I think it was sleeping; it had its head buried in a pile of hay so it was hard to tell), but it seemed to have no effect; it flew up and circled some times before it landed again, so I had ample time to panic.
Turned out it was actually dead and was just looking for a suitable spot to keel over in.
That was a little strange.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #293 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Scary Night Elf girl

My Mood:

Quote:
That at least forces a bit of rethinking. As I remember it, nothing caused problems for my stealth archers in Oblivion once I'd reached decent skill levels.
Nothing much does for them in Skyrim either, but sneaking isn't quite as certain to hide you as it was in Oblivion; I do get spotted relatively often even with 100 Sneak and a number of the perks.
Sadly, much of the time I can't tell why I get spotted so it doesn't feel right, just random.
Skyrim forces me to be more cautious about staying out of NPCs' line of sight and sticking to shadows. I could hide in plain sight in Oblivion, but not in Skyrim. I like that.

I've tried a few sneaking mods, and the "Overpowered Sneak" mod totally sucked. It essentially removed NPC aggro altogether, making my stealth archer little more than an arcade game. I was sneaking by guards' faces in broad daylight and sniping mobs that were standing next to each other without anyone ever attacking me. I removed it after about an hour's worth of playing with it.

I spotted another one that I haven't downloaded yet - it adds a number of secret tunnels and rooftop ladders to cities to help the aspiring thief get around. It sounds fun.
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #294 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Even with un-modded sneaking skills, at about 65 sneak I found that, if no one is looking directly at me, I can snipe one NPC in a room and then back up until they forget about me, and then repeat. I love the "It must be my imagination" comment that they sometimes make when you return to fully hidden...as if they just imagined that two of their friends are dead with arrows sticking out of their backs...
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #295 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
Even with un-modded sneaking skills, at about 65 sneak I found that, if no one is looking directly at me, I can snipe one NPC in a room and then back up until they forget about me, and then repeat. I love the "It must be my imagination" comment that they sometimes make when you return to fully hidden...as if they just imagined that two of their friends are dead with arrows sticking out of their backs...
Did I already post these? Probably. I don't care though, any excuse to share Whomp!.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #296 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
Skyrim forces me to be more cautious about staying out of NPCs' line of sight and sticking to shadows. I could hide in plain sight in Oblivion, but not in Skyrim. I like that.
yes, me too. Sometimes some NPCs just seem to suddenly know where I am even if they shouldn't be able to. It might make sense with Falmers, for example, with their extra sharp senses and no reliance on sight, but it seems pretty random who does it.
And other times they practically stand on top of me without seeing me (even when I'm filling their heads full of arrows).

Anyway, I think I've sort of finished all the game's major questlines, including the various guilds'.
I do have one outstanding bit of whining from the Blades who want me to kill a certain something that I don't really want to kill, and the Greybeards can't locate the last word of my last incomplete shout either. I also have a bunch of quest items stuck in my inventory, but no quests to go with them because I stumbled over the objects when exploring. That's a bit annoying.

One thing that surprises me is that in RPGs I always reach a point where I start to wonder if it hadn't been better to have chosen that perk instead of this one back when I had the choice some 120 hours ago and the thought eventually makes me start all over with a new character. Which generally results in me never finishing the games.
I haven't had that with Skyrim at all; 205 hours with the same character so far. I'm not sure why it's been different, but it's rather nice.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #297 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Tired of the same boring tips on loading screens? I love this mod...

1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #298 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Unofficial Skyrim Patch:

[BETA] Unofficial Skyrim Patch - Thread # 2 - Bethesda Softworks Forums

I haven't tried it, but it certainly sounds impressive.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #299 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Downloading now. It will be a while before I really get to try it, but it should clear up a few quest issues I have.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #300 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 12, 2003

Gaming Guru 
Kill with greater variety and look good doing it in Skyrim's 1.5 update | Joystiq

Quote:
Vanity is the subject of the next major update coming to Skyrim, which introduces new kill move animations for melee combat and some snazzy kill cams for ranged weapons and magic spells. If they look familiar in the video above, it's because you already saw them during Todd Howard's DICE 2012 keynote.

Of course, that's not the entirety of the update. Smithing skill boosts now factor into forged item value, there's a "better transition" when going underwater, and a variety of bugs and glitches are addressed. The full patch notes are over on the Bethesda Blog.

Wow those are some very powerful arrows.

P.S. It is a beta patch though.

Last edited by Edav Nomad; 03-16-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Edav Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holy crap, skyrim, so pretty, zomg the pretty