Mass Effect: Andromeda on early access - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Gaming » Mass Effect: Andromeda on early access

Gaming Discuss all aspects of gaming.

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Adult Content

My Mood:
Mass Effect: Andromeda on early access

If you have or sign up for Origin Access (5 bucks a month) you can play 10 hours of ME:A now. If you buy the game you get 10% off which is more than 5 bucks at new release prices.

Cancel Origin Access after you play and there you are. 5 bucks refundable deposit to play test before buying the game.
Rhonda Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
not a bad deal if you were already going to buy the game. Kinda crappy on EA's part to essentially charge you for demos.
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Mood:

Awards: 1
Gaming Guru 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
not a bad deal if you were already going to buy the game. Kinda crappy on EA's part to essentially charge you for demos.
You can also play older EA games for that same monthly fee so it's a pretty good service if you don't want to get EA games as soon as they come out.

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/sto...ss/vault-games

Xbox One has the same type thing called EA Access.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Catching up on videogame backlog

My Mood:
I've been playing it for 7 hours, enough time to get to the end of the demo's story limits (yeah, there's a limit on how far in the story you can advance, beside just the 10 hour limit) and do two more side quests.

There's a lot of small things I don't like about it... But even so, it still leaves me with an overall perception that I had a good time >_> Kind of like Fallout 4 or Mass Effect: Inquisition (I guess basically every AAA "RPG" of the past years except Witcher 3).

-- Resource gathering is incredibly tedious and annoying. Planet scanning from orbit takes forever because each time you fly to a different planet they give you a 10-15 second animation which serves 0 purpose and really gets annoying after the 2nd time you see it. The alternative is the surface mining scanner on the NOMAD (the new MAKO) and that also takes forever, driving your barely controllable APC in circles around an region on the map, trying to find the sweet spots...

When you're not gathering resources, I'd say the remainder of your time is 50/50 split between running/shooting around & conversation, looking at other character's faces. The conversations and the interpersonal relationships have been a staple of Bioware for years, no?

Well, its obvious all of the Old Guard has abandoned Bioware. The Doctors, Drew, all gone ... what's left is a B team in another studio that just got the name Bioware pasted on it but has zero feeling with Bioware. With a few writers with zero experience, and a gameplay director who got fired halfway through the development cycle for posting racist crap on his twitter feed almost daily.

What ruins the dialogues in this game?

- the faces look like shite. The graphics overall are fine, but the faces are just the stuff of potato-face nightmares. It feels like I'm playing TES: Oblivion again and that game was fucking released in 2006. Another good comparison is Sims 3 NPCs - without any kind of skin mods and computer generated.

- the meme I posted in the other thread with one of the NPCs lipsynced with a gold fish ... yeah, the lip syncing is really that bad.

- the writing is nowhere near as good as the previous games. I'm not talking about the overarching storyline, that is fine so far. But I've run into some really ... messed up conversation lines. I'm already convinced a few of these will turn into the next "Arrow to the Knee" meme.

- The voice acting. What the fuck? It's not all bad. There's some good, some bad. But some of the main characters that you talk to regularly, sound like their actors are forced to read the text in an unlit room while being bored out of their ass. At least if you have a mix of good and bad voice actors, make sure to give the bad ones the really shitty, tiny NPC roles. And that still all pales to the director of the main hub in the game. His voice is the most annoying voice acting I've ever heard in all my gaming life. And I actually like the actor who did that voice, but in this case he just FAILS completely. Anytime I need to talk to that guy the first thing I do is mute the sounds of my PC. I hope I can kill the guy at one point and replace him with ANY OTHER NPC.

So yeah, I have fun just exploring the universe and shooting up the shit, but ffs ... for a series that used to be all about dialogue, I find myself skipping a lot of the dialogue just because it's so cringeworthy.

also: I know that the Andromeda Initiative isn't a military organisation like the Alliance was in earlier games. But just because they aren't military doesn't mean it looks less silly when your entire crew looks like they belong in a Williamsburg Starbucks rather than on a Spaceship.

Last edited by Experimental; 03-18-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Experimental is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Adult Content

My Mood:
I just finished my 10 hours. I will not be buying this game.

It's the same Frostbite engine from DA:I with much much worse character meshes and graphics. Because of the engine there will be not player made fixes for this. It really feels like Inquisition in space. The pointless side grinding for widgets has never been fun for any game.

And then there is the price. 100 USD.

I might pick it up on Steam's summer sale in 2018 when it gets under 20 bucks.
Rhonda Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-19-2017, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Well facial animations especially the humans have always had some problems.

Edav Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-19-2017, 02:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Little Ghost

butterflies and zebras and moonbeams

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10-23-2006
I preordered it for the PS4. Yes, complete with weird animations, ugly hairstyles, and whatever surprise "features" come with it at launch. I can't help it. I sold my soul to Bioware long, long ago.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edav Nomad View Post

True. BUT standards were different in 2007 with Mass Effect vs 2017 with Mass Effect: Andromeda. AND even if Mass Effect Trilogy had its fair share of animations problems as well, the faces still look BETTER than in Andromeda.

I'm struggling to come up with any other videogame series where the sequel actually looked WORSE.

That said:

2 Users Laughed:
Old 03-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edav Nomad View Post

I looked really closely at the animation in comparison to previous titles and while I do agree that expressions aren't really worse, the huge difference is in body animation in conjunction with it... heads don't turn or tilt, bodies are stiff and rigid, spines don't bend or twist... all this adds up to a really bad plastic automaton feel when seeing these facial animations multiplying the defects. a lot of the voice work being rather sub par doesn't help the situation much either
Old 03-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Little Ghost

My Mood:
Sybil Maryfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/843576017591697408

Quote:
Most people don't seem to be aware that Andromeda is not developed by Bioware, but a sub studio formed in 2009 to do grunt work for the main devs that has never made a full game before themselves. Explains a few things and demonstrates how using the strength of a brand like Bioware to market a title can be a double-edged sword. People expect a certain level of quality from a studio like that and when they don't get it in some areas of the game they get loud about it.
Supposedly it's Bioware Montreal.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Mood:
Yep. As i posted before:

what's left is a B team in another studio that just got the name Bioware pasted on it but has zero feeling with Bioware. With a few writers with zero experience, and a gameplay director who got fired halfway through the development cycle for posting racist crap on his twitter feed almost daily.

Honestly, i think ea is only keeping the Bioware name around becaus they know the current market won't accept cold blooded murders anymore like what ea did to Westwood and Bullfrog.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Mood:
Also, reviews are starting to come in, just looked at an aggregate for now and it's the worst received "Bioware" game of all time. Currently it even has a lower metacritic score than Dragon Age II which is generally seen as an insult to Bioware. Saw a few reviewers actually use that line verbatim in their conclusions .. worst Bioware game ever.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
‘Mass Effect: Andromeda’ Game Ready drivers deliver performance boosts, HDR support
Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Indentured Servant

easily distract---er what?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/03/2004
Client: official

Special Achievement In Hello Kitty Trolling 
I wasn't really planning on getting this one anytime soon since I am pretty entrenched in my current games. This one just showed nothing of interest to sway me. And now I've seen the face animations that I can't unsee!

Only on SLU can there be an in-depth discussion about the history of packaging for pre-mixed cookie dough and its potential application in vaginally mediated theft. - Nemo Quisquam

NyteWytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
14 things I wish I knew before starting Mass Effect: Andromeda | GamesRadar+

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

My Mood:
Mass Effect Andromeda Criticized For Portrayal of Trans Character - CraveOnline
Old 03-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
eh on the flip side there is no accounting for future sensibilities.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
http://www.polygon.com/mass-effect-a...es-skill-trees
Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
played a few hours.. environment and visuals are fantastic. Story for me atleast is intriguing and i want to know more.. the whole issue with the characters and faces is a little bit unnerving. I feel as if i'm playing a Fan made game and not AAA title. I guess i'm a bit more tolerant as it didn't break immersion for me. however if I'm gonna be staring at a face that emoting all the decisions i make you think they would give a few more prettier options.

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-22-2017, 04:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel View Post
I feel as if i'm playing a Fan made game and not AAA title.
That's a perfect description IMO.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Little Ghost

My Mood:
I'm having a good time with the game. I'm about Level 7 now. Yeah, the character animations (especially NPC's) feel more like old school KOTOR than they probably should. That doesn't really bother me, though. I'm mostly here for the story.
Sybil Maryfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Bioware is apparently going to fix the animations. The last patch did change the look of the default female Ryder.

I spent some time with the character creator but couldn't get the character to look right. Something always looked off. It too needs fixing.

I haven't ran into many oddities. The most glaring one was killing an enemy and he would just stand there. It's happened several times but it's also happened in other games I've played.
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Super Science Award 

Also

Mass Effect Andromeda on PC Gets Massive 27% Price Cut

Mass Effect Andromeda on PC Gets Massive 27% Price Cut - Siliconera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007
Client: Firestorm

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Well I got 82 hours of my first playthrough. Did just about everything I could, enjoyed it, glitches and all.

UI needs a serious redesign, and the whole thing could use a good bit of polish but yeah it was fun.

The writing wasnt too shabby either, a few tough decisions and it even got a few chuckles out of me at times.

Gonna wait till the patch on Thursday before starting another playthrough though.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote