Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Gaming » Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome

Gaming Discuss all aspects of gaming.

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome

Like the WoW thread, the previous Guild Wars 2 thread has gotten huge, so I'm starting another:

Flameseeker Chronicles: Guild Wars 2’s new Living Story has launched – Massively Overpowered

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
Whoa it's all new in here.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
Whoa it's all new in here.
It's a bit scary.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
/me starts mapping the WPs and POIs in the new zone

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
Old 07-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
Because it was a daily, I finally finished Goemm's Lab -- the hardest jumping puzzle in the game. It only took me 4 years.
Ariane is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 07-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Well, the Sanctum Scramble adventure is terrible. If you don't slide off things or the gates fail to trigger, the jump mechanism doesn't take you to where the green circle is (so you fall down and have to restart. For the nth fuggin time). bleh.
I need it for the Herald's specialization weapon, but after wasting 45 minutes on the adventure, I'm not sure I can do it, not without ending up hating everyone and everything, at least.
Good thing I wasted all that map currency on the plated weapon then...

The only other weapon I'm missing is the Berserker torch, but that takes completing a HoT map with a warrior. I don't have very good experiences with warriors and survivability, so it frightens me a bit, although I read there were some major changes some time ago, so perhaps it's better now.
Similar McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

The 'adventures' seem to be one of those things anet wants to push on people, whether we want them or not. If you get stuck in the story you need the adventures to get the upper levels of the masteries.

As to warriors I constantly change what class I use the most. Lately that has been my norn warrior but yes, she has some pretty annoying nerfs. I mostly spam 1 and 2 plus plant banners.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
The 'adventures' seem to be one of those things anet wants to push on people, whether we want them or not. If you get stuck in the story you need the adventures to get the upper levels of the masteries.
yeh, I doubt I'll ever get gold on any of them, or silver on most, so that's a lot of lost mastery points.

I did eventually manage to get bronze on Sanctum Scramble. It took over two hours...
But I got the Herald shield (which I doubt I'll ever use on my Herald, but maybe some other class can use it).

Quote:
As to warriors I constantly change what class I use the most. Lately that has been my norn warrior but yes, she has some pretty annoying nerfs. I mostly spam 1 and 2 plus plant banners.
The odd thing is that in WVW, warriors are pretty nearly unkillable, but in PvE they keel over if something large sneezes at them.
I don't get that.

I respecced my Berserker to a kind of half-assed condi type, so I could use the longbow and improve my chances of surviving a bit (with zerker warrior I use GS + axe/mace). It worked, so I got VB completed and got the Berserker torch too.
So that's the specialization collection done.

Also got the bloodstone node, as hideously expensive as that was, and one of the new trinkets (it's the only way I have to get Viper's trinkets, so it's a lot of work, but at least possible).

Lately I've been playing condi thief. It's a new character I started a few days ago and cheated to level 80. Pretty fun, but yet another build that really needs four trait lines; you kind of need Daredevil for the condi damage dodge, but then there isn't room for Acrobatics, which means no health recovery during battles, and no automatic condi cleanse either.
So it becomes a serious glass cannon. After playing power Daredevil, that feels extremely fragile. Still, it's pretty entertaining to jump all over the place with Heart Seeker, Death Blossom and dodge.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

You might want to look up whether other professions can use the elite weapons. The elite armor skins can only be used by their associated professions rather than worn by the entire armor class.

I have only tried one adventure (Salvage Pit) and hated it. Maybe I would have worked out the mechanics, maybe not, but that was not the point. It seriously broke the immersion with the game and by only being usable during the day most of the time I could have used it it was not available.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
You might want to look up whether other professions can use the elite weapons. The elite armor skins can only be used by their associated professions rather than worn by the entire armor class.
I'm pretty sure I've seen Chronomancers and others using the Herald shield and such, so I don't think there are any restrictions for the elite weapons.

BTW, for the Herald shield you can select Celestial, Crusader or Trailblazer stats. I'm pretty impressed by that because those stats pretty much don't fit any useful Herald builds.
Sometimes I think Anet just throw dice when selecting stat choices.

Quote:
I have only tried one adventure (Salvage Pit) and hated it. Maybe I would have worked out the mechanics, maybe not, but that was not the point. It seriously broke the immersion with the game and by only being usable during the day most of the time I could have used it it was not available.
ow. I suspect that's one of the worst you could have tried. I always end up fleeing out of the pit without doing anything.

Something like 'On Wings of Gold' in Tarir is far more pleasant.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Awards: 1
Super Science Award 
Thanks Anet.

I did the new LS chapter Thursday. I wished I hadn't.

No not due to spoilers as I've not finished Mordemoth yet.

But because it starts with a wake for Eir. And it set me off. I cried for hours. No not due to it being for Eir, but because I lost my Dad back on June 6th. I was doing good until this chapter triggered me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caete View Post
Thanks Anet.

I did the new LS chapter Thursday. I wished I hadn't.

No not due to spoilers as I've not finished Mordemoth yet.

But because it starts with a wake for Eir. And it set me off. I cried for hours. No not due to it being for Eir, but because I lost my Dad back on June 6th. I was doing good until this chapter triggered me.
Wish I could do more than push the hug button. I am very sorry to learn of your loss. *hugs*
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I am not sure why they did those first two episodes as they did, especially since you have to go through it with every character you want to have access to BF with (unless you like collecting 1000 unbound magic then paying it just so you can collect a waypoint in the zone). The first episode is either triggering or a waste of time. The second one is downright annoying in some places (the chak fight and some of the most grating NPCs I have ever encountered) with the bright side of seeing Taimi again (too bad without Scruffy 2.0).
Old 08-23-2016, 03:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I am not sure why they did those first two episodes as they did, especially since you have to go through it with every character you want to have access to BF with (unless you like collecting 1000 unbound magic then paying it just so you can collect a waypoint in the zone).
I haven't tried it, but from what I hear, you can use TP-to-friend too.
That's slightly less painful, at least.

Quote:
The first episode is either triggering or a waste of time.
It would be pretty odd if they just continued as usual after one of their members died, though.

Quote:
The second one is downright annoying in some places (the chak fight and some of the most grating NPCs I have ever encountered) with the bright side of seeing Taimi again (too bad without Scruffy 2.0).
hm. I rather like it (except for Rytlock being so useless against the chak; my personal challenge whenever I do the episode now is to keep him alive during that fight).
Old 08-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

It was more interesting back on the first character. Now that I have done it on, what, 6 or 7 so far it is pure monotony. Probably the only REALLY grating NPC is leafy-haughtiness at the very end but Taimi being there is the only thing that makes him bearable. As to Rytlock being useless, yeah, my pets are more useful, I just ignore him since he shows up after the battle anyways .... which is too bad but hey.

Yes, I have heard that about teleport to friends as well. I have yet to try it since they are so expensive and/or not easy to obtain unless you do the chest lottery a lot. I have 5 and am keeping them for when I have absolutely no other option.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
It was more interesting back on the first character. Now that I have done it on, what, 6 or 7 so far it is pure monotony.
yeah, that's certainly true. It was more bearable in LS2 because you didn't need to do the story to get access to somewhere (still an utter pain when you need to do achievements, though).

Quote:
Yes, I have heard that about teleport to friends as well. I have yet to try it since they are so expensive and/or not easy to obtain unless you do the chest lottery a lot. I have 5 and am keeping them for when I have absolutely no other option.
ah. I have 25 or so. They've just accumulated over time (I have used a fair number on one character, but not lately. I guess I've just run to wherever I wanted to be on my later characters).
Old 08-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Catching up on videogame backlog

My Mood:
I do hope at one point they'll add a damn asura gate into the area. At the very least I hope it gets added after the map is finished at the very latest (I assume like the Silverwastes and Dry Top releases way back it's going to be staggered at least, so what we can access now is only part of the map)

But yeah, until then, I'm also drowning in TP to friends. They just build up over nearly 4 years of playing, and I haven't used them much at all.
Experimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental View Post
I do hope at one point they'll add a damn asura gate into the area. At the very least I hope it gets added after the map is finished at the very latest (I assume like the Silverwastes and Dry Top releases way back it's going to be staggered at least, so what we can access now is only part of the map)
It sounds like that's very likely. People have glitched out of it and there's apparently a lot of stuff behind the walls.

I was thinking of that portal in Brisban you can't get to (on the other end of the bridge the bandits are repairing), but ... Bloodstone Fen would have to get extremely large to reach over there.
I hope that portal will be used for something, though.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Similar McMillan View Post
It sounds like that's very likely. People have glitched out of it and there's apparently a lot of stuff behind the walls.

I was thinking of that portal in Brisban you can't get to (on the other end of the bridge the bandits are repairing), but ... Bloodstone Fen would have to get extremely large to reach over there.
I hope that portal will be used for something, though.
Don't have the game open atm so can't say for sure if it would be a possibility, but maybe they'll add two maps, like they did with LS2? And have the second map connect there.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental View Post

But yeah, until then, I'm also drowning in TP to friends. They just build up over nearly 4 years of playing, and I haven't used them much at all.
They can put a portal on the north side of VB where the path goes to the wall then turns left. There is also a path in BF on the other side of that wall. You might not be able to get up to a couple of places (I have to look if you can) from the ground but it would get you in the zone.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Character slots 30% off! Whee! I bought 2 more so I can hit my goal of a character in each race and armor class.
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 08-26-2016, 06:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Character slots 30% off! Whee! I bought 2 more so I can hit my goal of a character in each race and armor class.
I got one too (it still amuses me that for the longest time, I thought I'd never need more than the five default slots...).
Needed one for the weekly keyfarm, but it wouldn't surprise me if I end up using it for a new character, like I have with all the other keyfarm slots. Though, I am kind of running out of builds to try (condi mesmer and condi revenant, I guess, but neither of those work very well in PvE, from what I hear).

Shared inventory slots are on sale too, but at only 15% off, and with the current gem prices, it's not really that much of a deal.
Nearly 1700 gems for three feels extremely expensive, even if they really are very useful.

And I think the copper-fed salvage kit is also still on sale. That one is a must.

After I got the copper-fed, the silver-fed and the mystic forge conduit, I've barely bought any inventory bag slots. They really help a lot (and even more so if you have shared slots for them).
Old 08-26-2016, 06:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I have 6 shared inventory slots. I had one free itself up a few weeks ago and I had to think what to put there so it is not urgent to have more. Currently they are the copper-fed salvage kit, the silver-fed kit, about a dozen gathering tool boxes, and keys for chests in the the silverwastes, auric basin, and verdant depths.

Where did you get the mf conduit? I only use the mf for dailies so not sure how handy it would be.

I would have just bought the copper-fed and skipped the silver-fed but I bought them in a package.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Where did you get the mf conduit? I only use the mf for dailies so not sure how handy it would be.
From the TP. Back when I bought it, it was 115g, but I think it's much cheaper now.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #25 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Similar McMillan View Post
From the TP. Back when I bought it, it was 115g, but I think it's much cheaper now.
If you have enough mystic coins (50) you can buy the three other pieces for about 15 gold. It's how I did it.

Or you can get the pieces through ecto gambling, but really, if you have enough gold to go ecto gambling, then 15 gold is just peanuts change anyway.