Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome - Page 7 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Gaming » Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome

Gaming Discuss all aspects of gaming.

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 04:13 AM   #151 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
They have +5 ones there? Cool! I was going by the wiki and they must have only listed the PVE vendor.
yeah, they have some extra damage to lords and guards, but the +5 part works in PvE.

Quote:
Nicely WVW sells the trinket itself for less laurels (+some badges). Not that I do much WVW but I do it sometimes so have 3 thousand saved up.
That's quite a few. I only have around 6K right now and I've played a lot (granted, I've also bought many trinkets and infusions and stuff).

With the Provisioner masteries, you can also buy HoT runes and such in WvW, for Proofs of Heroics and gold. It can be worth it, especially for the things that you normally have to buy for crystalline ore, for example (and so have to do the DS meta over and over to get).

oh, and you can buy cultural armor there too. I think that's a relatively new thing, but I'm not sure. It's cheaper, anyway (and I believe any race can buy it, if you just want it for achievements).
Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 AM   #152 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Yes, I think cultural there is relatively new or I would have bought it there when I was working on the fashion achievement.

Looks like I will be doing more wvw to farm more badges.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #153 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
Cats are Jerks GW2 Edition

Remember the last patch that added a snow leopard that follows you around your home instance? Apparently there are 25 other cats you can charm and get a whole herd of cats following you around your home instance.

Each cat requires you to feed it some unique item, and many cats require feeding by a specific profession.

Detailed list of known cats and what they want:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hun...scavenger_hunt

There is a total of 27, one is the snow leopard kitten, and one was a halloween special, leaving 25. I got 24, I need Dry Top to open tier 5 to get the last. Now I got cats all over my home instance.

Last edited by Ariane; 01-11-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Ariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #154 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
There is a total of 27, one is the snow leopard kitten, and one was a halloween special, leaving 25. I got 24, I need Dry Top to open tier 5 to get the last. Now I got cats all over my home instance.
heh. I have a few of the 'common' ones, the Halloween, Wintersday, and the cub, and my home instance feels pretty lively already.
Always amuses me when a snowball flies past my face when I harvest (I assume it probably should have been a ball of yarn, but they didn't get around to making one. But the snowball is pretty funny too).

----
In other news, I made a third mesmer. The first was power, the second condi, so now I'm trying boon duration.
Commander's chest piece, Commander's amulet and one ring, runes of Leadership, backpack and one exotic accessory both with platinum doubloons, make for 50.93% boon duration. So that's 7.5 seconds of swiftness instead of 5, from the Signet of Inspiration, which makes it much nicer to run around with a non-chrono mesmer.
It can't quite explode things like my pure power chrono, but it's not bad at all (of course, the longer boons from the signet help there too).
Rather fun, if a tad expensive.

Not quite sure whether to go for chrono. I really hate losing a traitline, but having wells would mean more Quickness, which might make up for the loss of DPS.
But I'm getting fed up with having to choose either damage or elite spec for nearly all the classes (except warrior, which I don't really play).

Last edited by Similar McMillan; 01-12-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Similar McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #155 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

heh. I was completing Dry Top on my new mesmer and had soloed the 'clear out the mordrem' in the Cavern of the Shining Lights, gotten the vista etc., so I was running back up the tunnel where there were 3 or 4 Inquest and a couple of golems. A male Asura, who had been running past the Inquest, stopped and put all his turrets out when he saw me, which was rather sweet. And then I killed everything in 20 seconds or so.

But I realized that that sort of thing has been happening quite a lot with this character. Especially newer, especially Norn and Charr, no doubt male, players seem to want to protect me (and then I kill everything way faster than they could). It's a bit odd.

Of course, if they talk to me, it's "dude", 'bro', 'mate', etc...

My mesmer isn't exactly the human female meta either:
Old 01-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #156 (permalink)

My Mood:
I really ought to learn to play my Mesmer better. I've been playing her a lot lately as I am trying to get most of my older characters to 100% map completion.

I mostly play sword/greatsword with the offhand on the sword varying (sword 2,focus, shield or pistol). She does OK but not super explosive. Any tips?

Meanwhile, if you play Mesmer to do jumping puzzles, you are doing it wrong.

Far and away the best and easiest jumping puzzle character is a Daredevil (Thief Elite) with a staff. Skill #5 on the staff works exactly like Engineer Rifle #5, but with little to no recharge wait time. I recently plowed through "Not So Secret" and "Troll's Revenge" using my Daredevil and it was way less frustrating. Instead of trying to master precise jumps, its all point and click jumping.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #157 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I really ought to learn to play my Mesmer better. I've been playing her a lot lately as I am trying to get most of my older characters to 100% map completion.

I mostly play sword/greatsword with the offhand on the sword varying (sword 2,focus, shield or pistol). She does OK but not super explosive. Any tips?
I use GS, sword/shield on my power mesmer. I find the CC from shield very useful and it's also good against hordes (especially coupled with the elite well; drop the well to get the mobs bunched up and CCed and then hit them with shield #5, followed by sword #2 and GS #4, #2 and #3, and F1 shatter, if necessary).
Other than that I just use the damage well and the slow/quickness wells (I forget what they're called).

Depending on your traits, shatters can be very powerful. Mostly F1 (damage) and F3 (for CC).
With GS #2 and #4 and sword #3, you can get three illusions up very quickly and then shatter them (this is where pistol or focus has the advantage over shield with the phantasm they can both provide). Coupled with the Chrono trait that brings the illusions back after the first shatter, you can do a series of shatters in a pretty short time (although only F1 does real damage, but F2 still does some, so it's better than nothing while you wait for F1 to recharge, and F3's CC can be useful if timed right).

It's a bit tricky to determine whether your phantasms do more damage if left up than a shatter will. I tend to use shatters to quickly kill lesser mobs, but for champs and such, it might make sense to leave the phantasms (especially if you have the traits that make them attack more often and do more damage), and maybe only shatter them for the CC (F3).

I haven't really mastered the Continuum Rift, but it's definitely worth experimenting with for rapid wells, especially, but also for resetting the recharge on weapon skills that create illusions.

Also, if traited, the wells give you Alacrity. It's not nearly as useful after they nerfed it so I normally don't have it traited when I do solo stuff, but it can still help a fair bit (annoyingly, the well that gives the most Alacrity doesn't do much damage, so I mostly only use that one to speed up recharge of portals and such).
I can never figure out whether to choose Superspeed for illusions (good for very fast shatters) or the Slow (possibly useful?) of those two traits when I don't want Alacrity. Can't really determine which works best.

Quote:
Meanwhile, if you play Mesmer to do jumping puzzles, you are doing it wrong.
It's funny. The base mesmer is really the least suited for JPs; the switch between no movement speed boost and swiftness takes a long time to get used to.

I did world completion like that on my condi mesmer, but now I find it hard not to stick with chrono, even if it's much less damage and sustain (so if I know I'm going to solo a champion or such, I usually switch Chrono to Chaos).

Quote:
Far and away the best and easiest jumping puzzle character is a Daredevil (Thief Elite) with a staff. Skill #5 on the staff works exactly like Engineer Rifle #5, but with little to no recharge wait time. I recently plowed through "Not So Secret" and "Troll's Revenge" using my Daredevil and it was way less frustrating. Instead of trying to master precise jumps, its all point and click jumping.
hm. Odd I haven't tried that at all, really.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-13-2017, 01:02 AM   #158 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

My mesmer builds. The previous post may make more sense with them, possibly.

Power mesmer ("Cartologist Mejja"):
Build Editor :: Guild Wars 2 Skills

Boon duration mesmer ("Tokkra"):
Not finished yet, hence the exotic trinkets and soforth.

Condi mesmer ("Vrekna"):
That's the offensive build, with Chaos instead of Chronomancer.
(Some problems with this one. The site hasn't updated things, so I can't put my offensive infusions on the armor (4 x Precision, 1 x Condi Damage), and the total condi damage that is shown should be 1535, not 1357. And the sixth effect of Nightmare runes is different now, but I only use five of them, so... I also only use one scepter, of course).
I can't figure out if I should use more Sinister trinkets instead of Rampager. People say Rampager, but I kind of feel that Sinister works better.

Also, I sometimes try staff instead of torch. It works better against multiple mobs, but I don't really like it.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #159 (permalink)

My Mood:
My own build is in between your power and boon builds. Mostly Power as I use chrono. I found some traits in your builds I wasn't using that should help.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #160 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
My own build is in between your power and boon builds. Mostly Power as I use chrono. I found some traits in your builds I wasn't using that should help.
I'm trying to figure out how to get Chrono to work with my boon mesmer. That last middle trait, 1.5 seconds of Quickness per illusion shattered, would be really interesting, but I'm not sure which other trait line I can live without (so, the usual problem with elite specs, in other words).
I don't have all of Chrono unlocked yet, so it's only a thought experiment so far.

Edit: gnh. It's even more frustrating than I expected. With Chrono, I can get 1.5 to 4.5 seconds of Quickness practically whenever I want it, but at the cost of Illusions, so I'm missing the 20% faster recharge on illusion summoning skills, the 20% faster phantasm attacks, the improved shatter and increased damage per illusion.
And it doesn't seem any better to lose Dueling or Domination.

With Chrono, things turn rather hectic, though. Just movement with the base +25% speed, but 7.5 seconds of swiftness every ten seconds, makes you very fast (almost too fast sometimes). And combat gets seriously fast with all the Quickness from shatters, Time Warp and Well of Action.
It's pretty fun.

Last edited by Similar McMillan; 01-14-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #161 (permalink)

My Mood:
That was my compromise. Illusions.

You are using the Boon Duration with Signet of Inspiration to get 75% swiftness. "Time Marches On" on the Chrono gives always on 25% movement speed eliminating the need for Signet of Inspiration, but then you are back to just being a power mesmer.

My build (for now, thinking of changing stuff), is Knights Armor for extra toughness, Wurm runes for extra health and ferocity. Opal (assassins stat) accessories helping me get 60% critical chance, which the Domination traits make even more powerful with added ferocity and fury, and the Dueling makes even better with vulnerability. It's a well rounded build built around critical hits and speed. No condition damage.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #162 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
That was my compromise. Illusions.

You are using the Boon Duration with Signet of Inspiration to get 75% swiftness. "Time Marches On" on the Chrono gives always on 25% movement speed eliminating the need for Signet of Inspiration, but then you are back to just being a power mesmer.
yeah. After pretty much hating it in the beginning (because of all the chatter it causes, and the switch between no movement boost and swiftness. Although the latter was random back then, which didn't exactly help), I don't want to run a mesmer without that signet now. Just today it randomly gave me Aegis at the most appropriate times, which seriously helped.
And of course, the boons it gives last longer with my boon duration, so there's a greater chance of them doing good too.

Quote:
My build (for now, thinking of changing stuff), is Knights Armor for extra toughness, Wurm runes for extra health and ferocity. Opal (assassins stat) accessories helping me get 60% critical chance, which the Domination traits make even more powerful with added ferocity and fury, and the Dueling makes even better with vulnerability. It's a well rounded build built around critical hits and speed. No condition damage.
Feedback (reflection) also works from Precision, so the higher the better (i.e. the more damage gets sent back). Not that it's something you generally use all that much, but it's nice when you really need it (for SW, Halloween labyrinth, Dragon's Stand, etc.).

I don't know how much the toughness and vitality is going to help. Whenever I've made a build with it for PvE, I find it doesn't really feel like it makes much of a difference. It should, but ... (it's much more noticeable in WvW, I think).

(Edit: Further on that; I often use my power Reaper WvW build for PvE. Valkyrie armor and some Soldier's trinkets, so I have 26.6K health and 1270 toughness, but I really don't feel like it's much easier to survive in PvE than on builds without extra vitality and toughness. Whereas it made a major difference in WvW).

---
Last night, in a drunken haze, I decided to change my hammer Scrapper build a tad. I had Might runes, for Might duration (with a Scrapper trait, when you get over ten stacks of might, you get Quickness). I switched them to runes of Leadership and added some Commander's trinkets, for a total of ~70% boon duration (and changed my hammer from Berserker to Commander's too).
With Juggernaut, Elixir B and U and a sigil of Might, I often get up to over 16 seconds of Quickness, with 25 stacks of Might. And just running around with the flamethrower means I have a permanent 16-17 stacks of Might, which gives me ~5 seconds of Quickness every ten seconds, so it's not slow to move around either (but if it is, Elixir B gives 20 seconds of Swiftness).

Rather expensive; it ate up all my WvW Proofs of Heroics, but I think I've finally found a Scrapper build that works for me.

Last edited by Similar McMillan; 01-16-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #163 (permalink)

My Mood:
Ever been to "Cerebro"?

In the Caledon Forest on the western edge just south of the Town of Cathel waypoint
[&BDsBAAA=] there is what looks like a body of water that can't be accessed.

Go to the "Town of Cathel" Waypoint then head straight south towards the lake on the map that isnt really there. You will see a sylvari building. Use the rocks and vines on the left hand side to get to the top of the building. Then face the non existent blue water then glide into the bushes until you clear a fence there. Drop down into the hole. Bingo.

You will find a large unfinished jumping puzzle that has been around for 4 years. There are "holes" that will cause you to leave the map (Hint: If you are in water you have fallen off the map, and can only get back with a waypoint.)

This is why they call it cerebro: http://imgur.com/a/rxsiQ More screen shots: http://imgur.com/a/ROPCK

And a video:

Last edited by Ariane; 01-16-2017 at 11:13 AM.
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #164 (permalink)

My Mood:
Here is a replacement for the broken movie I posted early, this is 3 hours long, so it is very thorough.

1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-24-2017, 05:42 AM   #165 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

A long time ago I did the first part of Chuka and Champawat (which is worth doing as it's rather fun), and then I watched a Wooden Potatos video where he showed some things about the tiger cubs I didn't know about, so now I've started the second part (more because I want the cubs than the legendary) and I think I've made a horrible mistake...

7800 elder wood logs
4820 thick leather sections
960 hard wood logs
240 hardened leather sections
(etc., etc.).

That's ... going to take a while. And that's only stage 2 of 4.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #166 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Yes, I always considered the legendaries more of an investment than they were worth. Since you can change stats on ascended stuff now it basically comes down to bragging rights and skins.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #167 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Yes, I always considered the legendaries more of an investment than they were worth. Since you can change stats on ascended stuff now it basically comes down to bragging rights and skins.
yeah, and they're everywhere now. I don't like most of them, though Chuka is okay, but I really just want the tiger cub that sits on your back. Unfortunately, I think you have to do pretty much the whole thing before you get the cub.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #168 (permalink)

My Mood:
So after finally mastering Mesmer and Engineer, I decided to figure out Elementalist. They are really popular for some reason, but mine is weak and slow and all I do mostly is spam 1 on the staff. Also my ele kind of looks dumb.

Step 1: use the free total makeover. Went from a big burly male charr to a skinny short female charr

Second, find a build that works for me. I now mostly use this one: Tempest - Fresh Air DPS - MetaBattle Guild Wars 2 Builds
except I swapped out dagger main hand for scepter.

It's based on "Overload Air" which does a ton of damage, and "Fresh Air" trait which instantly recharges Air on crit with a ferocity boost on switch to air. It also relies on precision and ferocity for best damage, so I had to switch to assassins or berserkers. (I was going conditions and toughness before)

If you look up the cost of a full set of crafted 80 exotic Berserker armor, its like 60 Gold. But Zhed's Armor with the exact same stats is 18 gold, and if you are willing to wait (and I am) and just put in high buy bids, you can knock off another 6 gold, or 12 gold. That's 80% off the crafted price.

Anyways F3 "Overload Air" followed by F1 and 1 spam until you crit, then F3 and 2 to lightning strike for 5 seconds until you can F3 Overload Air again, and repeat. Most things die before you get to the second OA.

Anyways, I'm finally liking my Elementalist. Next step, try and figure out Warrior.
Attached Thumbnails
Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome-gw283.jpg  
Old 01-27-2017, 02:15 AM   #169 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Second, find a build that works for me. I now mostly use this one: Tempest - Fresh Air DPS - MetaBattle Guild Wars 2 Builds
except I swapped out dagger main hand for scepter.
I've never actually tried scepter, I think. I always see people with it use this flaming rock that drops down from above and it takes so long to cast that the enemy has practically always moved out of the way, or been killed, before it hits. Doesn't really seem appealing, but I don't know how it works with Air.

Quote:
It's based on "Overload Air" which does a ton of damage, and "Fresh Air" trait which instantly recharges Air on crit with a ferocity boost on switch to air. It also relies on precision and ferocity for best damage, so I had to switch to assassins or berserkers. (I was going conditions and toughness before)
It's a bit sad condi ele doesn't work. It seems like it should be the perfect class for condi with all the elemental stuff.
They made that change recently to one of the glyphs which should make condi better, but it felt very awkward to use when I tried it.

Though, apparently Wooden Potatoes apparently uses condi ele for Fractals, but he's the only one I've ever heard of who plays one.
Not even my guild mate, who plays everything as condi, goes as far as playing condi ele.

Quote:
If you look up the cost of a full set of crafted 80 exotic Berserker armor, its like 60 Gold. But Zhed's Armor with the exact same stats is 18 gold, and if you are willing to wait (and I am) and just put in high buy bids, you can knock off another 6 gold, or 12 gold. That's 80% off the crafted price.
Nice. I think WvW armor is something like 9g (and about 1000 badges), so that's kind of decent too, if the available stat sets are what you need (because, unlike PvP, you can't buy HoT stat sets in WvW. It obviously makes sense that PvP has better choices seeing as it's the only game mode where you DON'T NEED ARMOR. bleh).

And yeah, due to the bloody hardened leather, crafting has become ridiculously expensive.

Quote:
Anyways F3 "Overload Air" followed by F1 and 1 spam until you crit, then F3 and 2 to lightning strike for 5 seconds until you can F3 Overload Air again, and repeat. Most things die before you get to the second OA.

Anyways, I'm finally liking my Elementalist.
Great. I switched from dagger/warhorn to staff, mostly due to WvW (I actually completed all the HoT maps with dagger/warhorn, which now surprises me).
I use Fire/Arcane for PvE and Fire/Water for WvW.

Quote:
Next step, try and figure out Warrior.
I'm gearing mine for condi, partly because I don't really enjoy Power Berserker much and partly because a guild mate recently switched his to condi and it seems rather fun, effective, and also like it has a better flow than Power.
(Unfortunately, due to ascended timegating and cost, it'll probably take months before I get it finished).

I did try a budget version when I needed to complete a HoT map for the specialization weapon (I wasn't going to attempt that with a Power warrior). It was just whatever I could find of Rampager/Sinister and such, but it worked well enough. With Viper's you can get some serious damage going.

I also figure I can then use the heavy Viper's to try out burn guardian too. I've always wanted to test that.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #170 (permalink)

My Mood:
I'm trying the same thing with my warrior. I had enough stuff in my inventory to make two Viper pieces, then went with the cheap Koss's Armor which has Rampager stats for the other 4. I plan to save up flax to get the other 4 pieces eventually. I'm working towards something like this: Berserker - Support Condition - MetaBattle Guild Wars 2 Builds

The odd thing is that makes my Warrior a Longbow / Sword-Torch user, which ironically is the exact same weapon combo I use on Ranger, and Guardian.

Last edited by Ariane; 01-28-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #171 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I'm trying the same thing with my warrior. I had enough stuff in my inventory to make two Viper pieces, then went with the cheap Koss's Armor which has Rampager stats for the other 4. I plan to save up flax to get the other 4 pieces eventually. I'm working towards something like this: Berserker - Support Condition - MetaBattle Guild Wars 2 Builds
Nice. I think that's pretty much what my guild mate is running. We did some tests in the Special Forces training area and while the Might output isn't as stable as Power PS warrior's, it's not bad at all, and personal DPS is much higher, so it works well for both solo stuff and support. He's been doing everything except WvW on his lately, solo HoT stuff, raids, Fractals, etc.
He's using warhorn for swiftness when just running around in open world and apparently that doesn't really cause much of a DPS drop, though he does switch to torch if he knows a larger fight is coming up.

I also only have two pieces of Viper's so far, so I still haven't tried it (getting trinkets will take a good while too).
Runes of the Aristocracy need dungeon tokens, so I need to do some WvW reward tracks for that too (although I do actually have two of the runes from forging major runes).

Quote:
The odd thing is that makes my Warrior a Longbow / Sword-Torch user, which ironically is the exact same weapon combo I use on Ranger, and Guardian.
heh.

I've pretty much stopped playing my guardian for some reason. I can't seem to get it to work anymore, which is a bit odd since I don't think I was bad at it back when I played it a lot.
But I made a keyfarming guardian recently and that's been rather fun, so maybe I can find back to whatever it was that appealed to me in the past.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:59 AM   #172 (permalink)

My Mood:
I replaced Rune of Aristocracy with Rune of the Berserker which is a cheaper and easier replacement.

As for Guardian, my build is not ideal, more of a defensive/support build with Soldier stats. Emphasis on "Retribution" which requires power to be effective, and because it requires you to get hit to trigger, I add toughness. Also Guardian does not have a movement increase trait unless you count "Retreat!" so I run with Speed runes.

Longbow is my range weapon of choice (so "Dragonhunter" a must), sword plus various offhands, and occasionally greatsword for melee. "Save Yourselves!" is permanently on my utility bar, a second shout, either "Retreat" for the swiftness or "Stand your ground" for retaliation. I used to use all 3, but "Procession of Blades" is too awesome and has become a Guardian staple. In normal PvE I usually use a Series D Golem for elite (yes my guardian is Asuran), but in group or zerg play I switch to Signet of Courage, because instantly restoring full health to team members is awesome.

I also have fun with this character as an Asuran "Golemancer", she has a Golem mini, a "Replica Job-O-Tron" backpack, a "Glide-R-Tron" glider, and wears Taimi's Outfit.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #173 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I replaced Rune of Aristocracy with Rune of the Berserker which is a cheaper and easier replacement.
I was thinking of starting with Balthazar runes, or maybe Fire or Baelfire. Also so I could try out burn guardian with the same gear.
Since Might adds condi damage as well as power, Might duration could be worth aiming for (hard to say without having tried, really).

I'm not likely to be acting as Might bot in parties (since I rarely do any group stuff), so that side of it isn't too much of a concern.

Quote:
As for Guardian, my build is not ideal, more of a defensive/support build with Soldier stats. Emphasis on "Retribution" which requires power to be effective, and because it requires you to get hit to trigger, I add toughness. Also Guardian does not have a movement increase trait unless you count "Retreat!" so I run with Speed runes.
I use Traveler. +15% boon duration and +10% condi duration coupled with +25% movenent speed seems pretty fitting for guardian. They also aren't very expensive anymore (few runes are these days; it's like they all dropped in price at the same time, for some reason).

Quote:
Longbow is my range weapon of choice (so "Dragonhunter" a must), sword plus various offhands, and occasionally greatsword for melee. "Save Yourselves!" is permanently on my utility bar, a second shout, either "Retreat" for the swiftness or "Stand your ground" for retaliation. I used to use all 3, but "Procession of Blades" is too awesome and has become a Guardian staple. In normal PvE I usually use a Series D Golem for elite (yes my guardian is Asuran),
I use sword/focus + greatsword on my keyfarmer guardian. It works quite well (lots of blinds, for one thing). Only level ~66 or so, so far, so I don't have the third trait line yet, but I'm kind of getting the feeling I might be enjoying it more because I don't have DH.
That would be a bit odd, but sometimes it's nice to get back to basics.

Downside is that the only ranged weapon I can use is scepter and I don't really like that too much.

Quote:
but in group or zerg play I switch to Signet of Courage, because instantly restoring full health to team members is awesome.
ah, I've never had much success with that. I think you have to stand still while it fires and it takes quite a while, so I always manage to interrupt it.

Quote:
I also have fun with this character as an Asuran "Golemancer", she has a Golem mini, a "Replica Job-O-Tron" backpack, a "Glide-R-Tron" glider, and wears Taimi's Outfit.
heh. You should almost run rune of the Golemancer too.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:31 AM   #174 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

I managed to craft five pieces of ascended Viper's armor, stole a bunch of weapons (sword, torch, warhorn) from other characters and changed them to Viper's, and got enough berries for two rings from Bitterfrost (already had a spare backpack from Bloodstone Fen).

It's a bit too much for my burn guardian when using Balthazar runes; burn duration is way higher than 100% (I should probably use Sinister instead of one or two of the Viper rings), but it works rather well.
Burn guardian is pretty fun, actually. I've completed all of the harder maps on it now (Orr, SW, DT, Frostgorge, etc., even a fair bit of Bitterfrost) without dying.

Then I tried condi Berserker and that's ... somewhat mixed. I do a lot of damage, especially to mordrem in SW where I tested it, but it feels a bit messy (though maybe it's something you get used to when you get a better feel for the rotation).
I did the VW thrasher twice and died both times, though. Even tried warhorn instead of torch the second time for some condi cleansing and that just meant I lived for about five seconds longer.
Everybody else died too (our guardians and mesmers apparently hadn't heard of reflects, and our druids hadn't heard of healing), but I really don't like not being able to survive stuff like that.
I can't see how to do anything about it either, not without losing a lot of condi damage.
So it's basically the same problem as with power warrior; things either go great or you die, no middleground.
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #175 (permalink)

My Mood:
I was looking at the requirements for the ascended staffs Bo and Ydrasil , and found that I was missing the same components. So I built a Mystic Staff and a Machined staff and managed to get on a populated server for Dragons Stand and got them both. Now I suddenly have a ton of account bound staffs with 6 ascended.
1 User Likes This: