Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome - Page 5 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Gaming » Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome

Gaming Discuss all aspects of gaming.

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2016, 05:18 AM   #101 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
I plan to do it this weekend as I had a full week. I play a herald.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #102 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
I plan to do it this weekend as I had a full week. I play a herald.
ah. yeh, I'd probably also prefer some more people if I did it with Herald or some other class that doesn't have distractions like pets or minions.

BTW, I did the Salvage Pit adventure in VB for the first time today and got gold on my first try, so if you haven't done it yet, it's two extremely easy mastery points. All there is to it is basically just to keep moving (probably doesn't hurt if there are other players to distract the tendrils, but it's not really necessary).
With the way it looks, I expected something horribly frustrating, so I'd avoided it until now.

That got me the last HoT mastery. Still need three or four for the last Tyria mastery, but that's just the last fractal thing, so it's hardly something I'm missing (I don't even know what it does).

Also got the last achievements for HoT story chapter 2 and 3 (so some more mastery points from those). I tried some for chapter 4 too, but they're apparently still buggy a year after release...
I didn't have the stomach to try to do Hearts and Minds, so I still haven't finished it on any character.

And I revisited the Mystery Cave from LS2, which is just as horrible as I remembered, although I do kill the dragon much, much faster now than the last time I played it (I guess I've learned something about gear and traits in the meantime).
Got one achievement, but the last two seem pretty impossible to do.
Which is annoying because I want Sinister accessories, but the achievements for both of the chapters that give them are not really possible solo (well, the Mystery Cave ones theoretically are, but not for me).
Old 10-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #103 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Doh! I partied up with someone but decided to fight the destroyer of hope (rather than let lazarus deal with it) and died. The first time it let me waste a revive orb but I did not learn my lesson and the second time just had to stay down until I did the dialogue at the end. It meant I got credit for completing the ep but not another for not dying. Right now I have 5 HOT mastery points so will just save those for if I need them in the next ep, nothing else is urgent anyway.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:07 AM   #104 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Doh! I partied up with someone but decided to fight the destroyer of hope (rather than let lazarus deal with it) and died. The first time it let me waste a revive orb but I did not learn my lesson and the second time just had to stay down until I did the dialogue at the end. It meant I got credit for completing the ep but not another for not dying.
yeah, I think the way to do it is to focus on the common mobs and just hit Destroyer of Hope (cringe...) whenever you have time for it.

I just got the last LS2 Mystery Cave achievement... I got the next to last (Shrubsplosives) earlier today, with really not very much trouble (two tries, although I had tried for it earlier several times other days).
The last one, however, took at least three, and more likely four, hours to get. Maybe 25 tries or so.
That was not easy (although it was certainly not helped by a glitch that causes thief pistols to barely ever hit the dragon when you use action cam. So instead of taking 50% of its health per burn phase, I took maybe 10-15% off, which made things much, much harder, until I switched action cam off. Some rocks don't give you any warning either, or rather, they hit outside the red circles, so I had to find a way to skip that phase too, by changing some traits so I could kill the wurms quickly enough that the phase didn't happen at all).

I hadn't thought I'd get it without cheesing it (dying at the very start and letting someone else kill the dragon while I was dead), so it feels kind of satisfying. And a bit like revenge for all the frustration it caused me when I was a fairly new player.
Similar McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #105 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I just got a bit impatient since it was losing health so slowly. Even though I knew Laz was doing it (slowly) I was stuck in the 'I need to do this' mode. Outside of partying with someone else at that step I guess I would need to do all of ep 2 (taimi's game forward) to get to it again?

Am I the only one getting annoyed at their pattern with new eps? Sure, I love the new zone. To get to it you need to do part of the story though and typically not the easiest part. Then each one has a zone-specific mastery (not only that but this one was 3 MPs rather than the usual 2 for tier 2, how many will the tier 3 be).

I hope the zone for chapter 3 is someplace you do not need to complete more story steps to get to. Also no new masteries or if we do get one that it is not something only relevant to one zone.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:30 AM   #106 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I just got a bit impatient since it was losing health so slowly. Even though I knew Laz was doing it (slowly) I was stuck in the 'I need to do this' mode.
yeah, I had that too. Since I was condi it was just easier to hit it few times and then switch focus back to the other mobs while it was still taking damage from the conditions.

Quote:
Outside of partying with someone else at that step I guess I would need to do all of ep 2 (taimi's game forward) to get to it again?
If you have the chapter selected in Story Journal, you should see purple markers on the map for the episodes you've already played through. You can go to them to replay the episodes (the instanced ones, at least. I don't think you can replay the open world bits).
This works for the LS seasons, HoT story, and, I think, the original PS (not quite sure; I never had cause to replay PS episodes).

A new character would have to start from the beginning, though.
Edit: Actually, a new character would only have to start from the beginning of the chapter, not all the way from the beginning of the season or whatever (not that this helps in this case because the chapter is the first in the season).

Quote:
Am I the only one getting annoyed at their pattern with new eps? Sure, I love the new zone. To get to it you need to do part of the story though and typically not the easiest part.
I bought the portal scrolls for Bloodstone Fen and Ember Bay. Playing the story through on sixteen characters seemed a bit much (and would probably make me hate the story, which I don't want to end up doing).

I do wish they'd done it like with Silverwastes, Dry Top and HoT, with a way to get there 'by foot'. Aside from easier access, it'd also make them feel more integrated with the world, I think (to be fair, there'd be quite a lot of ocean to cross by foot to get to Ember Bay, but still...).
Old 10-17-2016, 05:42 AM   #107 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I bought the scroll for Ember Farm. I did not do it for the first zone though as it was easier to get characters through the story than to gather the UM. Still though, it means at least one character has to do the initial parts of the story.

With BF they could have easily gotten there by foot. If you notice a path in there and in VB almost connect. All you would need is a portal there and probably a way up to the ship. Move the islands some more (they moved them anyway) and you can connect them to Orr or somewhere else (they are currently part of the Heart of Maguuma zone, which is a bit odd).
Old 11-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #108 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I can not be the only one that started mentally humming Pink Floyd when hearing the name of the new ep?
Old 11-17-2016, 02:23 AM   #109 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Well, we got linked with two small servers in WvW, both of which we've been linked with individually before, so we kind of know them and they're mostly nice people, so I've been playing a lot again lately.
Not that our current matchup is balanced at all (Gandara, which we're up against, is ranked eight, we're 14 and the two linked servers are 17 and 21. We're also up against Seafarer's Rest which is ranked 13).

It's the usual; the enemies have so many people they can have blobs in several maps at once, while we can normally only manage one.
Still, we are certainly trying, and our linked servers have quite a lot of commanders (not all of them good, but still).

I've never been ganked as much as during this matchup. Both the enemy servers have dedicated ganking squads, 3-6 thieves and mesmers, that go after one or two enemies at a time. There's even a guild that does very little else.
It gets pretty tedious.

Had an amusing moment with a Ring of Fire (one of our link servers) commander when we spotted a Seafarer zerg in our corner, which was trying to take a camp while we were distracted by a Gandara blob (SFR are pretty much just vultures at this point).
The moment we hit the SFR zerg, the commander put on "Ring of Fire" with Johnny Cash on TS, so things suddenly got rather comedic as we mowed them down.

Also had three Anet employees on one night:

Would have been better if they'd been on yesterday, so they could feel how outnumbered we are, though.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:36 AM   #110 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
I made it to the new zone. Apparently thee are a lot of people that failed to finish the last story where the egg hatches. There were a fair number of people trying to get that mission completed before they could start the new story.

The annoying part of the egg hatch mission, and the newest boss in the newest mission is that the instructions are unclear.

On the egg hatch mission you pick up the balls that get dropped and throw them at the boss, while avoiding the orange circles.

The newest boss (after 3 increasingly difficult tasks) basically involves waiting for a white circle to arrive, and the baby dragon to enter the circle, then a second circle will appear on the opposite side of the boss, which you step in, then hit a purple icon just above your skill bar. The baby dragon will drain the bosses health around 70%, which it will start to heal.

If you manage to do this correctly 3 times in a row, the baby dragon kills the boss.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:28 AM   #111 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
The newest boss (after 3 increasingly difficult tasks) basically involves waiting for a white circle to arrive, and the baby dragon to enter the circle, then a second circle will appear on the opposite side of the boss, which you step in, then hit a purple icon just above your skill bar. The baby dragon will drain the bosses health around 70%, which it will start to heal.
yeah, not too clear. I didn't know if the special ability only worked if you had the new mastery (which I didn't at the time, so I didn't know it had nothing to do with it).
If they'd made the circles present, but clearly inactive, it might have helped.

Still, not too difficult once you figure it out.

A later boss has some of the same problem, but since there's practically only one thing you can do, it's not too difficult either.
(I'm not sure how far I am in the story. Probably around the middle).

The new zone is pretty hard. My condi ranger, who does a lot of damage, often has to fire off everything to survive against common mobs. Haven't died yet, but I've certainly been downed quite a few times.
I kind of hope they don't nerf the difficulty like they did with HoT and other things.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:33 AM   #112 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

There were two bugs that a lot of people got tripped on and I hit both. Aurene getting stuck somewhere in the LS and the petrified wood node being the bloodstone node instead. The second was supposedly fixed but not for me (I now have the bloodstone node in my instance and can not buy the petrified node).
Old 11-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #113 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Similar McMillan View Post
yeah, not too clear. I didn't know if the special ability only worked if you had the new mastery (which I didn't at the time, so I didn't know it had nothing to do with it).
If they'd made the circles present, but clearly inactive, it might have helped.

Still, not too difficult once you figure it out.

A later boss has some of the same problem, but since there's practically only one thing you can do, it's not too difficult either.
(I'm not sure how far I am in the story. Probably around the middle).

The new zone is pretty hard. My condi ranger, who does a lot of damage, often has to fire off everything to survive against common mobs. Haven't died yet, but I've certainly been downed quite a few times.
I kind of hope they don't nerf the difficulty like they did with HoT and other things.
I will take a look at vids of it and probably party up.

I started training up the new skill and was nicely surprised that it was 3 points. I got half of the xp yesterday in the second zone (plus some of the story) and have 5 points ready to go.

Ugh if the new zone is hard. I thought they got it perfect in the second zone but really flubbed the first one.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #114 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Turns out the last boss has the same problem too, so that makes three for three... (sort of; the middle one, as mentioned, isn't so difficult to figure out).
Or maybe it's just odd. I did practically no damage to the lesser mobs and had to wait for someone to kill them, which took ages, but there's an achievement for killing the boss in under five minutes, so it must be possible to speed things up. I have no idea how, though.

Not an easy fight either.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:16 AM   #115 (permalink)

My Mood:
I still have no idea how I killed the last boss as well.

From what I can tell from online video, and what I did, (and this is not documented anywhere) is that you run through the electrical charges attaching the mobs to those stones while dodging the orange circles. This detaches them and makes them vulnerable to falling rocks.

The orange circle falling rocks will eventually wipe out all the mobs which is when the scroll drops. Interacting with the scroll will bring Braham to it. He will cast a spell making the boss vulnerable and killable.

I am finding that this new zone is not good for DPS builds. Too many mobs attack at once. I throw on my defensive/AoE build (Nomad armor, Ranger Greatsword, traps!) and I actually do pretty well.

I did not like this mission much at all: three waves of Svanir, followed by three waves of wolves, followed by three waves of spiders, followed by 2 waves of elementals, then a boss. The very definition of "trash mobs".
Ariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:16 AM   #116 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I still have no idea how I killed the last boss as well.

From what I can tell from online video, and what I did, (and this is not documented anywhere) is that you run through the electrical charges attaching the mobs to those stones while dodging the orange circles. This detaches them and makes them vulnerable to falling rocks.
heh. wow. I never figured that out at all. I must have run through a lot of the streams by accident then.

There's a safe spot up on the ledge of the path you came down by and I was tempted to just stand there and wait for Braham to get things done, but that made me feel a bit too selfish (and I also didn't think it could be right that the fight worked that way).

Quote:
I am finding that this new zone is not good for DPS builds. Too many mobs attack at once. I throw on my defensive/AoE build (Nomad armor, Ranger Greatsword, traps!) and I actually do pretty well.
yeah, condi ranger doesn't seem like it was the worst choice for me.
Still far from easy, though. Those veteran Svanir brutes, especially, do a ton of damage.

Quote:
I did not like this mission much at all: three waves of Svanir, followed by three waves of wolves, followed by three waves of spiders, followed by 2 waves of elementals, then a boss. The very definition of "trash mobs".
yeh, and they're very tough too. I only died to the boss once, but I got downed several times by the trash mobs.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:29 AM   #117 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

It certainly sounds like I have some vids to watch! I am not attempting the entire chapter at once though, just the ability to get to the new zone.

I wish anet would stop with the story locks. It makes the areas feel disconnected from Tyria and we do not all get to explore them on day 1. As opposed to every other new map before LS3. Saying "we need a HOT lock" is no excuse, they managed it for the gate to VB.

I do not know much about the new zone but I hear the new zone has a normal portal which is ..... story locked. I am guessing when I buy the area scroll for my other characters that will only unlock the initial waypoint for them and not the portal?
Old 11-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #118 (permalink)

My Mood:
Here's the video I watched. Last boss is at 18:00 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEc84MjHKrE?t=18m

The cutting of the streams doesn't seem to work, but going after the lower guys first and ignoring the champ is the way to go. The guy in the video also got the 5 minute reward.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:37 PM   #119 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Ty, how was getting to the bit where you have the ability to enter the new zone?
Old 11-23-2016, 11:28 PM   #120 (permalink)

My Mood:
General question: What "race" skills do you use?

I keep a few around on some of my characters:
My RP character Raveney "Vampire" necro is a Norn, and the ability to shape shift into a giant Raven is part of who she is.

I also RP my Guardian Asura as a golemancer, so she uses one of the Asura elites to summon a golem when needed (usually the defender golem) Sometimes I equip "Pain inverter" if I want "retaliation" up 100% of the time, but "Save Yourselves!" "Stand Your Ground" and virtue of retribution trait is enough.

Both of my Sylvari characters use the turrets elite "Take Root". It's just too much fun.

My Asuran Ranger is a "Condi Ranger" and "Radiation Field" is a very nice companion to the short bow.

I've toyed with the Charr elites on my Elementalist, though nothing beats fiery greatsword. Battle Roar is occasionally on my Charr Ranger, too.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:36 PM   #121 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Ty, how was getting to the bit where you have the ability to enter the new zone?
Its soloable. Part 1 is easy. Part 2, go after the portals as soon as they spawn. Part 3 is the hardest as you have to thin out the mobs before you can reach the emitters. Part 4, the big boss, is exactly as I said a few posts ago:
Quote:

If you manage to do this correctly 3 times in a row, the baby dragon kills the boss.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-24-2016, 01:20 AM   #122 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
General question: What "race" skills do you use?
It's actually been a very long time since I used one, but then, I do only have Asura, so the choices are limited and most class elite skills seem more useful.

Quote:
Both of my Sylvari characters use the turrets elite "Take Root". It's just too much fun.
Apparently it also helps some with bleeding for condi necros, now that they nerfed the lich form horrors. As I understand it, it doesn't come close to how it used to be (I used to be able to get 40 stacks of bleeding up in a few seconds. Now it's more like 20), but still.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:42 AM   #123 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Its soloable. Part 1 is easy. Part 2, go after the portals as soon as they spawn. Part 3 is the hardest as you have to thin out the mobs before you can reach the emitters. Part 4, the big boss, is exactly as I said a few posts ago:
Part 3 was surprisingly hard. I kept feeling like I was missing something, but I don't see what (as far as I can see, there's no way to get Aurene to ignore the mobs and get her to the emitters faster).
Old 11-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #124 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I probably will find a squad as I generally find what people call soloable is often on the hard side. Part 1 on chapter 2 I wound up breaking all of my armor.

I still have no idea why anet is doing this now as they did not need to do it before. It gates content for casuals.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #125 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

BTW, you can get a very cute snow leopard cub for your home instance in Bitterfrost.

1 User Said Thanks: