Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome - Page 4 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Gaming » Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome

Gaming Discuss all aspects of gaming.

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #76 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
My guild has an event on Saturday that involves a bunch of Sylvari running from the Grove to Cursed Shore, so I made a temporary Sylvari thief, even if it's obviously not a proper race, like the one and only Asura race (which I have fifteen of).

I did some map completions (Wayfarer, Ember Bay, Diessa, just because I apparently wanted to avoid any kind of sensible order) and got to Plains of Ashford, late in the night so it was pretty much deserted.
First I ran into the Baldazar grawl champ, and soloed him relatively easily.
Then I ran into Siegemaster Lormar, a ghost champ, which slaughtered me right away (my first death), but a mesmer showed up later and together we killed him, with some problems.
Then I got to that bloody ogre kraal on the East end of the map and of course the kraal was closed, so I cleared the watch tower, which involved about ten veteran ogres (which are bloody tough) and a champ. And then I defended the watch tower, which involved another eight or so veterans.
And then the meta got stuck, so I didn't get the POI in the kraal...

It's not often you run into all those champs and events in one completion run. I've completed Ashford maybe 25 times and I've never run into all of them like that.
It's really a rather special map. Metrica has no champs at all, Queensdale has none (anymore), Wayfarer has one, Caledon has none. And Ashford then has at least four, and maybe more.
Odd difference. I'd like to find out which order they made the starter maps in. I suspect Metrica was either the first or the last (no required events or HPs underwater. No champs).
Old 09-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #77 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
At one point all the starter areas had required water areas and champions, but then they redesigned the leveling up and decided that level 5 was too soon to introduce people to water.

Metrica Province had the earliest underwater event, but then it got moved north on land.

All low level champions in the starting zones got lowered to Veteran level and their rewards lowered to keep people from level farming them (which was super popular in Queensdale for a while)
Old 09-26-2016, 02:03 AM   #78 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
At one point all the starter areas had required water areas and champions, but then they redesigned the leveling up and decided that level 5 was too soon to introduce people to water.

Metrica Province had the earliest underwater event, but then it got moved north on land.
ah, interesting. I've been wondering why Metrica and Wayfarer have no required underwater events at all and then Caledon has a ton.
Ashford's underwater also seems like it was designed for more events in certain areas. There are some odd caves and such that have no apparent purpose (but maybe used to).

Quote:
All low level champions in the starting zones got lowered to Veteran level and their rewards lowered to keep people from level farming them (which was super popular in Queensdale for a while)
I've heard of the Queensdale train (you still see returning players asking where it is). Seems like a very good idea thing they got rid of it; it must have sucked for new players who wanted to explore by themselves. Sort of like having a constant daily in a region.

Last edited by Similar McMillan; 09-26-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Similar McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:21 AM   #79 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Similar McMillan View Post
I did die in Taimi's Game, both times I tried it on my condi ranger.
I didn't know the spheres cleared the fire when I did it, though.
I died pn my power herald many times, to the point of breaking all my armor. I did not know anything could clear the fires as I was playing the ep so soon after release nobody had reviewed it yet.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:27 AM   #80 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
I have completed the living story and the Ember Bay map. Still have some achievements and probably some MP to earn. The Taimi's Game simulator part is far and away the hardest part of this living story.

You will need 3 MP to get the Thermal Propulsion for map completion and to make the last part of the living story easy to finish. There are two on the map that are fairly easy to get to.
That is good to hear! I held off doing more of the chapter until I knew what I was signing up for.

I do have thermal propulsion. I bought it and the last vendor from HOT. Currently I have 1 MP from doing Jade so will just hold on to any I get until we see what we need for chapter 3.

edit: BTW, was I the only one surprised at us needing 3 MPs? I was expecting 2 like the other level 2 masteries. Especially since there are so few masteries on this map. Which means masteries on the next map might not have enough points.

Last edited by Kara Spengler; 09-26-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #81 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
edit: BTW, was I the only one surprised at us needing 3 MPs? I was expecting 2 like the other level 2 masteries. Especially since there are so few masteries on this map. Which means masteries on the next map might not have enough points.
I assume we'll need thermal in the next maps. Otherwise it really is expensive.

And yeah, not many mastery points. I hope they don't count the one for the JP as one most people are likely to get...
I've tried a few times and it strikes me as both overly messy (lots of glitch jumps required) and overly cruel (holes you can fall into and not be able to get out of. And you can't kill yourself to start from the last checkpoint), so I don't know if I'll get it.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:48 AM   #82 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Yes, from what I have seen most people will only get 3 MPs on this map. Story completion and the 2 insights. Anything more than that and you will need to scrounge the previous maps.

Ironically some people who maxed out everything are complaining gliding-6 is a pain because of all the ley lines. Right now I have gliding-5, the 2 for the LS3 storyline, and up through the vendor on everything else (except no raiding) so that looks to be the sweet spot if you are not a completionist.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #83 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Ironically some people who maxed out everything are complaining gliding-6 is a pain because of all the ley lines.
hmm. I can't say that's a problem I've had there. The ley lines are pretty convenient most of the time (when you can tell which direction they run, which sometimes isn't that easy).

Quote:
Right now I have gliding-5, the 2 for the LS3 storyline, and up through the vendor on everything else (except no raiding) so that looks to be the sweet spot if you are not a completionist.
If you can get it, I would recommend ley line gliding. It really is quite useful and judging from the two new maps, it'll get even more useful in the future.
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-27-2016, 05:17 AM   #84 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

At the moment I am hoarding MPs. I only have one hot one right now and they are coming slowly. Before LS3 I thought I had at least until the next expansion (which may be another category of points anyway) to buy masteries but now, especially with the 3-pt cost for a level 2 mastery ....
Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #85 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

To get the 2 mastery points in the final part of the chapter I assume you need to be the instance owner (ie, start it first)?
Old 09-29-2016, 01:09 AM   #86 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
To get the 2 mastery points in the final part of the chapter I assume you need to be the instance owner (ie, start it first)?
I don't actually know, but I would think that as long as all players are at the same point in the story, i.e. the last episode is next for them, it ought to count for everybody (otherwise every party would have to replay it with each member as instance owner).

It's always been difficult to figure out. I and some other people helped someone, who was the instance owner, with the Dodgy Crowd LS2 achievement and we all got it, except for the instance owner...

The achievement where you have to kill forty destroyers with bombs may be an individual one (since it doesn't have to be done in one go, but can be spread out over replays), but maybe not.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #87 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Yes, anet has not been very clear about it in the past nor have they been consistent.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:00 AM   #88 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Did world completion on my temporary Sylvari. It took five days (the character has existed for 56 hours), but could probably have been done in three with a bit more focus (OTOH, that might well have been too much focus; it was already feeling a bit much like work).

I suspect full dagger/pistol + pistol/pistol thief with a mix of Assassin's and Berserker stats is probably the fastest class you can use for it (all exotics, except for an ascended Marauder amulet I had lying around).

Not sure it says all that much, but world completion + Ember Bay, Bloodstone Fen, Silverwastes, Dry Top and Southsun resulted in nine Black Lion keys.
I think that might be slightly fewer than average, but it's hard to be certain when I didn't really keep much count on my other world completions. It just feels like it's fewer.
Two of the keys were from Ember Bay and Bloodstone Fen too.
(And, for the curious, I got practically nothing of value from the keys. Only two ticket scraps, which is very, very few. A makeover kit and, best of all, a BL salvage kit. I really need the latter).

I was using a karma enrichment and karma guild booster and got around 200K karma, although that does include some I got from not strictly world completion (and I didn't just ignore events either when doing completions).

Also, I have nearly all of Daredevil unlocked with the HPs from completions. I think I'm missing the last three.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:02 AM   #89 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I never go for 100% world completion as there is always some annoying vista or HP that messes me up. I was almost done with getting all of the WPs (all in CT and most in other zones) when the new LS3 chapter came along. Now I spend most of my time there.

I have come to the conclusion that RNG has a sense of humour. My alt account, which I only use for login rewards lately, seems to always get a BL kit which just fill up her bank and do nothing. I wish those kits (or at least the globs of dark matter they produce) were not account bound.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #90 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I decided to do the Hungry Hal thing. A MP and a title? Sure! If you have not done it yet there are about half a dozen trees just off the shore that you can reach with mushrooms and/or gliding.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:04 AM   #91 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I decided to do the Hungry Hal thing. A MP and a title? Sure! If you have not done it yet there are about half a dozen trees just off the shore that you can reach with mushrooms and/or gliding.
I did it before they fixed it, so it was pretty quick (sadly I did not do the TP-to-friend thing on the JP before they fixed that...).
Still, I at first thought you could only give him one apple a day (i.e. it would have taken forty days then). Fortunately it's not that bad, but I think you may have to switch instances; from what I've heard, the apples don't respawn.

----

Today's hot fix where they've deactivated some 'unintended' spawning in the Mursaat fortress probably came after something I watched last night.
I saw a 'jade farm' LFG, which sounded odd, so a guild mate and I went to take a look. It turned out to be a lot of engineers with a lot of turrets on top of a rock.

There was an Anet person watching and after a while, another one showed up. They said they had to shut it down because it would ruin the economy and then despawned most of the jades, which of course led to a lot of whining from the farmers, but it clearly had to be done.
I was pretty impressed, not only to find two of them ingame at five in the morning, but actively fixing stuff and not doing it anonymously (they could just have removed their tags and not said anything), but also telling people why.
That was nice to see.

Now they just need to do something about multiloot too...

Speaking of farmers, I'm getting increasingly fed up with venturing into the depths of some dark place and then find an AFK necro standing there with all his minions.
They are bloody everywhere now.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #92 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Yes, I wish they would get rid of multiloot! I have not done that meta since ML became popular. I am sure I am not the only one.

Right, it seems the apples do not respawn. Just toss a few alts at the WP (or instance switch some way) and do a few apples a day. Each instance will yield around a dozen apples.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:15 AM   #93 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

We got seriously screwed over by the last several WvW matchups. Just completely outnumbered all the time (which is even more frustrating because we can fairly easily beat their blobs one on one when we have a commander, but we don't have enough commanders to do that constantly. And they can have blobs on all the maps at the same time, while we can usually only manage one).
So now people are leaving. Some of the guilds that have been with us for years are giving up and a lot of regulars too.
It's pretty depressing, especially because we had started to do well again right before server linking happened.

Server linking could have worked, I think, but there's no balance in it now (and how Anet can screw it up that badly, I don't understand).
Old 10-04-2016, 05:14 AM   #94 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Ow! Isle of Janthir, right? What time do you need people? (server time)

While I have a cmdr tag I do not tag up except for shortcutting back to LA. Basically, I do not know enough about the mode to feel comfortable leading there.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:55 AM   #95 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Ow! Isle of Janthir, right? What time do you need people? (server time)
nah, Gunnar's Hold (EU).

And one problem is there isn't any specific time; we're outnumbered 24/7.

Quote:
While I have a cmdr tag I do not tag up except for shortcutting back to LA. Basically, I do not know enough about the mode to feel comfortable leading there.
It's most likely the hardest game mode to command in too, especially if you are outnumbered.
We have some very good commanders, but they've been doing it for years.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:14 AM   #96 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Yes, you need good commanders before they tag up. I only do it for dailies occasionally and find a zerg. I do not want to give anyone in WVW the idea that I know a lot about what I am doing there.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:16 AM   #97 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

hrm. I had that temporary Sylvari thief I mentioned earlier, but deleted her after the event. However, it was a rather fun build, so I made a new thief (an Asura, of course) and decided to level up manually, because it's been a while since I did that and I do kind of enjoy it.
The challenge I set was to world complete as much as possible and to not die before I reached level 80.

After a bit less than three days (maybe 35 hours play time or so) I got to level 76 and 68% world completion and then I tried Iron Marches... It was a bit unfair because I survived the heart in the South-West corner of the map, the one with the constantly respawning Fire Legion and all the fire turrets. And that tends not to be easy even with a level 80 properly geared thief.
But the HP with the two toxic imps and the fire imp (on top of a rock) got me. They stayed too far away from each other for my blindness field to cover them all and the fire imp has a rather painful attack, plus, just too many conditions for me to outheal.
That was pretty annoying (especially because I could have done better, I just wasted a couple of my Unloads right at the start and then it went downhill from there).

Then I tomed up the last few levels and bought Taimi's outfit as a consolation prize...
That outfit is nicely done, but it's extremely hard to choose colours for it; they change for practically every map you enter because the surface is so glossy. In Ember Bay it's a dark, glowing orange and in Rata Sum a dark, dull grey, with the same dyes, and everything in between on other maps.
It's perhaps not exactly the thing for a sneaky type like a thief, but then, neither is the very orange hair colour I chose...
(I was complimented by one guy, who also complimented another of my characters a few weeks ago, not knowing they're both mine. That was nice).
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 10-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #98 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I bought Taimi's outfit too because .... Taimi. About the same logic I used for her mini, even though I hate outfits and you can not really make out what the mini is of.

Last edited by Kara Spengler; 10-07-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #99 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Yow. I decided to look at the last instance. I will DEFINITELY need a party for this one!
Old 10-13-2016, 01:05 AM   #100 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Yow. I decided to look at the last instance. I will DEFINITELY need a party for this one!
I hope you found one. For me, Taimi's Game was definitely the harder one, but it probably depends much on which class you play.

A guild mate and I went through chapter 1 and 2 of the HoT story, to get more of the Order backpacks, and I decided to do some achievements for chapter 2 (I had already done all except one of chapter 1's. And I forgot to do Sylvari Solidarity while I had my temporary Sylvari...).

That bunny one from the Tarir trials... You have to kill the alpha wolf without reviving any Pact soldiers to help you and since you're a bunny, with a single attack, that is quite some work.
When I did really well, I got the wolf's health down with 4% per death...
I had brought ogre pet whistles and fire elemental powder, but the wolf quickly killed both and they have a cooldown of thirty minutes, so they weren't really of much help (I also used some of those combat boosters you get way too many of from BL chests and never use for anything, but I don't really think they have an effect on your bunny form).
I think it took about twenty minutes.
Oddly enough, I actually found it kind of fun.

Still need a few, which aren't really that hard, I think, I just kept doing the wrong things (which, of course, I didn't screw up the other times, when they weren't so important to get right).
And doing the intros over and over to get to the bit with the achievements gets a tad tedious, so I took a break.

Still, kind of nice to see that story again, with Taimi and all.
And that strange and creepy cutscene after the trials. It's really rather well done and feels quite different somehow.