Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Gaming » Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome

Gaming Discuss all aspects of gaming.

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
How is the conduit even useful? Aside from the occasional crafting sessions I only use it for dailies. Nothing that can not hold off a few seconds while I waypoint to it.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #27 (permalink)

Catching up on videogame backlog

My Mood:
I use it to handle my yellows any time I max out my ectos in material storage, while I'm doing metas.

IMO it's not worth 100 Gold or more, but if you can pick it up cheap, sure, might as well.
Experimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
4th Anniversary is today, so all of your "Day 1" characters have presents.

Mostly the usual stuff, but you can unlock ANY dye you need. I just unlocked Shadow Abyss, which currently sells in the open market for 399 gold. Too bad it is account bound dye.

Also account bound is 1 commemorative backpack. This seems to be a one per account thing as I have 3 Day 1 characters and only got this once.

Celebrating Birthdays:
"Ariane Bane" - human ranger
"Aria Dawn" - Sylvari mesmer
"The Mighty Bleep" - Asura guardian

I created two others that first day, but then deciding I made some poor design choices, I deleted, then remade them.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I am a bit behind .... my first character is about 2 months shy of 2 years.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:46 AM   #30 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
How is the conduit even useful? Aside from the occasional crafting sessions I only use it for dailies. Nothing that can not hold off a few seconds while I waypoint to it.
I salvage all greens and blues, and yellow armour (and often weapons too, but it depends on what I can get for them), so I end up with lots of sigils which take up lots of space. That's a problem if I'm in the middle of a meta, or WvW zerg or champ train or such, so I forge them on the run.

I also far prefer Rata Sum to LA, so it's nice to not have to go there just to use the forge when promoting mats and such (although I've noticed the conduit can be buggy lately with certain higher tier mats and first starts to work properly after you've visited LA...).

Edit: Also, I do like the 2-factor authentication GW2 uses (no app nonsense, etc.), but it does cause a slight problem if you forget your phone... I just missed eight days of login rewards and other stuff because I couldn't login.

Last edited by Similar McMillan; 09-04-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Similar McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 09-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #31 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

It is calling you every time? It only does that to me when I am on another net (usually when traveling).
Old 09-08-2016, 04:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
It is calling you every time? It only does that to me when I am on another net (usually when traveling).
No, not at home. It was only because I was out taking care of my parents' house while they were away. I've deliberately set that to not be a trusted location (just in case their laptop gets stolen or something, not that my password and login are stored on it, but you never know). So my security consciousness came back to bite me.

Not that I can really play the game on their laptop anyway (Intel HD graphics), but I can login and harvest my home instance nodes. And maybe do the dailies if they are very simple (and the day isn't too hot; the fan starts sounding rather stressed when I even think about running GW2).
Old 09-08-2016, 05:16 AM   #33 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Yow.

Oh, my latest fun is setting up a revanent who I did not intend to be a herald. Talk about a broken base class.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:22 AM   #34 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Oh, my latest fun is setting up a revanent who I did not intend to be a herald. Talk about a broken base class.
I'm getting more and more puzzled by Revenant; I had a lot of fun leveling it up and for a while after I got Herald, but then I suddenly started finding it very dull. I think part of it was the nerfs to damage, because it went from feeling very powerful to this just kind-of-okay damage (with full ascended berserker gear and Strength runes, even). And if you don't have the damage, it just turns into something rather limited; no choice in utility skills, for one thing.
I barely ever play mine now.

I made one as a keyfarming character a few days ago and that didn't even feel powerful at the very low levels anymore either.

I am thinking of respec'ing my old one to condi, especially after seeing someone who had used the straight-to-level-80 gift we got back then and so just had that gear, but he could apply 25 stacks of torment to a veteran in less than 10 seconds, plus all the other conditions.
With Viper's, it could be pretty special, I think.

But I also want a condi mesmer and I'm still sort of gearing up my condi thief and condi ranger, so .... it's getting a tad expensive.

Other than that, I seem to be spending rather a lot of hours in-game lately. Since I got home, I think it's been around 15 hours a day on average. And a lot of those hours are spent at the Breached Wall waypoint in Diessa, helping people to the HP and vista.
I think I'm pretending to think about what to work on next while I do that, but .... then I certainly need a lot of time to think (I must have killed the separatist champ there some fifty times this week too).

It's kind of nice, though. Especially the new players get so grateful (a lot of them have been spending hours trying to get there on their own). I end up talking with quite a few of them about gear and classes and how to level up and such. It's pleasant.
But also a little scary that they seem so surprised when someone helps them.

Also, I did some dungeons with a couple of guild mates and we needed more people for a path, so we put up an LFG. One of the pugs thanked us for not kicking him after we were done and he'd been doing fine. Certainly did what he could.
I'm not sure that says anything pleasant about how dungeon LFGs usually are.
He was a fairly new player (below 1000 AP), so I assume he'd been kicked over and over for not having enough AP or the best gear or being a guardian or something.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:23 AM   #35 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I want to use this character for helping new people but even there it is lacking. For example, yesterday I used her as an 80 to do some HPs in low level zones (admittedly sans runes) and had to do much more work than I did with my other characters. I know it should be possible as I got my other revenant to the elite spec.

I decided to go zerker on my armor. A hammer of course and misc jewelry. I am still debating the runes and sigils. The other weapon, backpack, and underwater gear are just stuff from leveling right now.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #36 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I want to use this character for helping new people but even there it is lacking. For example, yesterday I used her as an 80 to do some HPs in low level zones (admittedly sans runes) and had to do much more work than I did with my other characters. I know it should be possible as I got my other revenant to the elite spec.
yeah. My key farming character felt kind of like back when I leveled warrior. I admittedly didn't really know what I was doing with warrior back then, but still, I died far more than with other classes.
Revenant is sort of like that now.

BTW, I find staff Tempest rather excellent for helping new people. I even gave mine some extra boon duration in order to do so (Commander's amulet, a couple of platinum doubloons in the backpack and one exotic trinket, plus Traveler runes).
Good swiftness, decent heals (although not quite so great after they nerfed water overload), auras, etc. And you do enough damage to save people from most things too.

I tried with my Herald too, but new players don't deal well with the constant swiftness, so that caused quite a lot of them to run off things, especially at Breached Wall (it even takes me some time to adjust to it; it somehow feels different than other types of swiftness). Though, Herald does have the constant application of Might. Tempest can't really compete there.

Quote:
I decided to go zerker on my armor. A hammer of course and misc jewelry. I am still debating the runes and sigils. The other weapon, backpack, and underwater gear are just stuff from leveling right now.
I remember using Traveler runes on mine until I got Herald, just to get decent movement speed, but I think they worked pretty well.
I use Strength runes now, but they are so dull... And I don't really feel the extra might duration and power help that much either.

---

I made a condi mesmer yesterday. So far it's actually really fun.
I didn't have enough dark matter globs to go proper ascended, so only some weapons, chest and leggings are ascended Viper's (I discovered that the bloodstone crown, the reward for doing that achievement with the crazed bloodstone creatures, has Viper's as a stat option, so that went on my head. It's just exotic, but it helps).
The rest is Rampager's, mostly.
I pillaged my Revenant's staff and turned it into Viper's, but I don't think I like staff much, so I've mostly been using scepter + pistol and torch.
I think I do need to carry a focus for when I do harvesting runs. Which, btw, is a seriously lovely side effect of the scepter trait; mining and chopping is much faster than on other classes (apparently warrior's axe trait works the same way).

For a condi build, it actually does quite decent damage, even in low level areas, and compared to my power Chronomancer, it also takes much less damage in return, which is extremely nice.
It does lack AoE, though, but torch helps a little with that.
Takes some to get used to not having constant +25% movement speed from Chronomancer, but this build works better without it.
And it's a signet build too, so you don't have any utilities.
In some ways, it's a bit like playing a thief (even with stealth from both torch #4 and the elite skill).

I ran to SW to test on husks and they just die extremely quickly, so that was rather satisfying.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #37 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I finally decided on scholar runes and zerker armor. My weapons are hammer for distance (blood and frailty runes) and sword/axe (air and fire runes). I have 2 spears so I can take advantage of switching (battle and leeching runes, 2nd rune undecided). The rare soldier's 80 aquabreather. Misc jewelry (I need to upgrade my backpack though). I need to set up some other weapons for OOC changing (staff, mace, etc) but that can wait.

Overall look is vaguely Asian. I am using the bladed armor except for wide rimmed glasses and also kept that look in mind for facial features.

Strangely, I can not figure out my defense stat in the red circle. Whenever I have it figured out it goes and changes on me. With wielding the same weapon and such it was different in LA than it was last night. When I do something that should increase it by X it instead increases by Y. Oh well, as long as it is increasing. At 23,319 (10 less with my hammer) it is in the right ballpark (in fact it is better than a character I remember as being more than that last night).
Old 09-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #38 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Strangely, I can not figure out my defense stat in the red circle. Whenever I have it figured out it goes and changes on me. With wielding the same weapon and such it was different in LA than it was last night. When I do something that should increase it by X it instead increases by Y. Oh well, as long as it is increasing. At 23,319 (10 less with my hammer) it is in the right ballpark (in fact it is better than a character I remember as being more than that last night).
It's also puzzled me how my stats jump around depending on where I am (i.e. from level 80 area to city, for example).
I don't know what you're seeing, though. It sounds like it could be Hardening Persistence ('Gain toughness for each point of upkeep you are currently using.'), but that's from Herald, so...
Old 09-11-2016, 08:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I was playing a base revenant and the other character I tested was a warrior (prob the elite, I need to look). Interesting.

Oh, reminded myself why I hate dungeons. I went to plains of ascalon to do some mentoring and a bunch of 80s (with one 35) got me to do the dungeon there. I finally convinced them to kick me when my armor was damaged to the point of not wearing any pants. That was in exploration mode too!

This is the second time this weekend (the other was my warrior doing the final bit of the 1st part of LS3 yesterday) where I got armor to the point of being broken. I think I have only worn broken armor once before in nearly 2 years!
Old 09-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #40 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hmm, maybe I will run this revenant as a herald. I already have 83 HP more than what I need so may as well go for the 250. At what point should I use the herald? When everything is unlocked?
Old 09-12-2016, 04:42 AM   #41 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Oh, reminded myself why I hate dungeons. I went to plains of ascalon to do some mentoring and a bunch of 80s (with one 35) got me to do the dungeon there. I finally convinced them to kick me when my armor was damaged to the point of not wearing any pants. That was in exploration mode too!

This is the second time this weekend (the other was my warrior doing the final bit of the 1st part of LS3 yesterday) where I got armor to the point of being broken. I think I have only worn broken armor once before in nearly 2 years!
oh, I kind of thought it was a myth that that could happen... So maybe the people I see AFK naked haven't actually taken their clothes off, but just been revived and killed so many times their armour got fully broken.

And yeah, some of the dungeons really are hard. I've done some with people from my guild who are experts and they get downed quite a bit (more than me, actually...) and we've wiped some too.
I prefer dungeons over fractals, though; fractals get too puzzly (i.e. do this in order for that to happen, then do that in order for this to happen, etc. Get past this stupid part which insta-kills you if you take a step wrong, because that sort of thing is so much fun...). But dungeon rewards really aren't great.

Quote:
Hmm, maybe I will run this revenant as a herald. I already have 83 HP more than what I need so may as well go for the 250. At what point should I use the herald? When everything is unlocked?
hmm. Hard to say, really. Just having Facet of Nature would help a good bit in many situations, but it depends on which of the non-specialization traits you have to replace. I think I'd want at least the swiftness, might and fury facets.

The more I play, the more I notice that the specialization traits aren't necessarily better than the old ones, and, depending on your build, often don't work better at all than the base trait lines.
Using Chronomancer traits with condi mesmer means you lose out on a lot, for example. Same with condi engineer. And somewhat the case with condi necro too, although it kind of depends on which type of condi build it is.
It generally feels like they didn't give all that much thought to condi builds when they made the specializations, except for Berserker.

I'm not sure about Herald. Constant swiftness is seriously convenient and constant Might or Fury adds a lot to your damage output. So I think it probably wins out over the base trait lines.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:19 AM   #42 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Frustratingly it seems the first thing the game removes are your pants. Maybe the guys do not mind it as much but just no.

What is the difference between might and fury? With fury so far down the list I was thinking just up to swiftness and might should be viable?
Old 09-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #43 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
What is the difference between might and fury? With fury so far down the list I was thinking just up to swiftness and might should be viable?
Fury raises your precision so you critically hit more (with enough ferocity, that can really make a difference for damage output).
Raid teams and such aim for near 100% precision, so every single hit crits.

Might is more power and more condition damage.

IIRC, the Glint upkeep cost is lower for Might than for Fury, so that's a consideration too.
For most things, especially in lower level areas, Might should be fine, I think.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #44 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Yes, I looked them up on the wiki. If I had to choose one of the other I would probably go for might. I am not tossing around conditions so the more power the better.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #45 (permalink)

My Mood:
My Revenant uses Assassin stat armor to increase precision. With perma-fury I have 100% precision so everything is a critical hit. That plus might is a lot of damage.

No wonder they nerfed it.

Meanwhile, I need to figure out the Warrior. I think I got the hang of most of the professions, except Elementalist which I find boring. But the Warrior is oddly weak and squishy than a Warrior should be.
Ariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
My Revenant uses Assassin stat armor to increase precision. With perma-fury I have 100% precision so everything is a critical hit. That plus might is a lot of damage.

No wonder they nerfed it.
yeah, nerfing it made sense. For PvP and WvW... It just really changed the feel of Revenant, I think.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I need to figure out the Warrior. I think I got the hang of most of the professions, except Elementalist which I find boring.
I felt the same way for the longest time and barely ever played my ele, but when I got Tempest I played it constantly for a long time (it's my only character who has completed every single map in the world). Then I kind of forgot about it until I tried it in WvW and that was really a learning experience, somehow, which made it feel new again (and made me a much better player, I think).
I really enjoy it, and that's even though it's a staff ele, which I found utterly dull in the beginning.

Quote:
But the Warrior is oddly weak and squishy than a Warrior should be.
Agreed. I've had several new players say that they feel much weaker than they thought they'd be (they chose warrior because it sounds like something that is easy to start with).
I died way more when leveling than with any other class, and even now with Berserker, things either go splendidly or I die; there's no middle ground.
It's just weird.

On the other hand, I've met many warriors in WvW who were practically unkillable and I have no idea how they manage that.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:55 AM   #47 (permalink)

My Mood:
I finally got a random invite to a guild that has a "Lost Precipice" guild hall.

It is awesome, way more awesome than the "Guilded Hollow" one that 90% of the guilds have.

In other news, if you read the latest travelogue, there are hints about an expedition to "Ring of Fire" islands, which is confirmed to be the next "story" zone.

Guild Wars 2 | Episode 2 Drops September 20th, Takes Us Back to the Ring of Fire | MMORPG

Ring of Fire was a prominent zone in Guild Wars (1) Prophecies, and contains the second Bloodstone after Bloodstone Fen, which recently got blown up.

The third known bloodstone was underground in a cave whose entrance was at the North East corner of Straits of Devastation.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:26 AM   #48 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Well, I finally got the speed and might facets last night so switched to herald. I need to read up on the mechanics (like finding out what 'facet of nature' does) but should have it complete in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
I finally got a random invite to a guild that has a "Lost Precipice" guild hall.

It is awesome, way more awesome than the "Guilded Hollow" one that 90% of the guilds have.

In other news, if you read the latest travelogue, there are hints about an expedition to "Ring of Fire" islands, which is confirmed to be the next "story" zone.

Guild Wars 2 | Episode 2 Drops September 20th, Takes Us Back to the Ring of Fire | MMORPG

Ring of Fire was a prominent zone in Guild Wars (1) Prophecies, and contains the second Bloodstone after Bloodstone Fen, which recently got blown up.

The third known bloodstone was underground in a cave whose entrance was at the North East corner of Straits of Devastation.
Cool about the hall. It is odd, you would think it would be closer to 50/50 but I have yet to be in a guild that chose LP.

If they are talking about a tier2 mastery to get around (I am guessing most people do not have ley-line unless they are completionists) why is it not 2 points like every other line? Training it up is not the problem (I am doing that by default) but the MP are the block.

It will be interesting how we get there though. Will we have to complete chapter 1 for everyone? What will it entail? (cue rage from altoholics if is more than something easy, like taking in the scenery) Will we get a MP for getting there?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:59 AM   #49 (permalink)

Catching up on videogame backlog

My Mood:
I used to be in a guild with LP, but they switched and joined the GH bandwagon

I do prefer the look of GH, but I prefer the guild weapons made with LP crystals.
Experimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #50 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
It will be interesting how we get there though. Will we have to complete chapter 1 for everyone? What will it entail? (cue rage from altoholics if is more than something easy, like taking in the scenery) Will we get a MP for getting there?
No, it should be like living story 1 where you can skip chapters as long as at least one of your characters have done it already.