Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome - Page 13 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Gaming » Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome

Gaming Discuss all aspects of gaming.

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #301 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
There's about 2 to 3 hours worth of content here. I do not know how connected "Demo" characters to your account, like if you gather mats do they go to your storage? I'll assume they don't, so I'm not gathering much.

Another question: If you use transmutations on a demo account do you lose them? I am going to assume you do, so I'm not using them. The best way to get out of the generic exotic crafting armor is to use outfits, which totally work on demo characters.

I decided to recreate the big haired dark skinned human I posted above and put her in the sexy pirate outfit. I went "Ranger" because that is my main expertise.

I pretty much did everything there is to do. All that is left is more mount riding. When the expansion launches, mounts will be usable in every zone, just like gliding is.

ETA: Turns out the way the demo works is that they make a complete copy of your account when you create a demo, so anything you collect goes into a fake bank, and any transmutations you use will only affect the copied account.

Had I known this I could have moved my ascended armor and weapons to my bank, then created a character that could use the ascended armor.

Last edited by Ariane; 08-11-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Ariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #302 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
I think you are missing what I was asking about. Not nearly a year of oooh and ahhh like we got with HOT but a day or so of how to prepare for the test (creating characters, what time it will start). Logistics not what lore and features we will encounter.
There has obviously been a change of philosophy at Arenanet about this stuff. Since HoT, they have changed game directors, and as far as I can tell there is practically no one left doing marketing.

They have a communications director Gaile, who is the liaison between the community and the devs, and pretty much everybody else there is developing content.

Their philosophy these days is that You Tubers like Wooden Potatoes and Aurora Peachy are doing a way better job at keeping the players informed of new changes than they could ever do, so why not use them for marketing?

The devs can then focus on on their main source of income: new content creation.

Wooden, Aurora, and a few other You Tubers got early access to this stuff and have been featuring it on their channels since "announcement day" August 1st.

Of course this strategy has draw backs, like Arenanet not providing all the info we would like, and having to sort of figure this stuff out for ourselves.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #303 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Hmm, I wonder if anyone can use the lily of the elon? I bought ultimate so got the pass. I have done the first part of the story (go through the pyramid, fight the dogs, put out fires, see a few people, get the story rewards) and it still wants me to do chapter 1.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #304 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
If you use transmutations on a demo account do you lose them? I am going to assume you do, so I'm not using them. The best way to get out of the generic exotic crafting armor is to use outfits, which totally work on demo characters.
From what I know (WP mentioned it) they created a clone so you can use the charges without losing them on your main account. Since it is only a weekend though, I am not going to use them in case that info was wrong. If you look at his vids he did not even use charges on his weapons.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #305 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
Well, I wasn't fond of the idea of mounts, but I must admit I find the raptor highly enjoyable. Nice animations too (although I'm not clear on what it means when it suddenly looks to the sides. Enemies near, perhaps?).
Other than that, I've mostly been using the beta as a cheap way to test out some build ideas I have for necro and ele (although I can't quite get the runes I want, but it was still helpful).
Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #306 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

It seems a bit skittish but that just may be that I am not used to it.

My beta character is a ranger. I forgot that it would be starting totally from scratch which means 1 pet. So when the pet gets downed I basically have a good part of my stats awol until it gets better again.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #307 (permalink)

My Mood:
You can add a second pet on the demo ranger, it pulls from whatever you have unlocked on your account.

I got a couple of empty character slots for PoF characters. I'm playing with demos to see what I want. I am currently thinking an Asuran Ele to become a "Weaver" and probably a Norn Thief to become a "Deadshot".

My plan is to make them early and take them to HoT to get as many hero points as possible and NOT spend them on the HoT specialties, so that they both have a nice stack of Hero Points to get their PoF specialties quickly. My main Ranger has plenty of HP already to get "Soulbeast" fairly quickly.

Looks like the way the HP works in PoF is you can re-earn them daily. Might take a while if you don't have HoT.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:06 AM   #308 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
You can add a second pet on the demo ranger, it pulls from whatever you have unlocked on your account.
Apparently it's also possible to find a juvenile sand lion somewhere in the beta, at least according to a guild mate (who is obsessed with ranger).

Quote:
I got a couple of empty character slots for PoF characters. I'm playing with demos to see what I want. I am currently thinking an Asuran Ele to become a "Weaver" and probably a Norn Thief to become a "Deadshot".

My plan is to make them early and take them to HoT to get as many hero points as possible and NOT spend them on the HoT specialties, so that they both have a nice stack of Hero Points to get their PoF specialties quickly. My main Ranger has plenty of HP already to get "Soulbeast" fairly quickly.
yeh, I'm not sure how to handle things. Rather interested in Firebrand, just because I've been playing guard quite a lot lately, but I want to see the others too, so...

Quote:
Looks like the way the HP works in PoF is you can re-earn them daily. Might take a while if you don't have HoT.
huh. That seems ... odd.
Similar McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:27 AM   #309 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Hmm, I wonder if anyone can use the lily of the elon? I bought ultimate so got the pass. I have done the first part of the story (go through the pyramid, fight the dogs, put out fires, see a few people, get the story rewards) and it still wants me to do chapter 1.
I'm guessing "Chapter 1" consists of a few instanced missions of which we have only played the first. By the way on my second demo character the first mission went way faster as I already had the mount to play from the very beginning. This is good to know as I have a lot of characters to run through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Similar McMillan View Post
huh. That seems ... odd.
I have done a few hero points in the demo, so far they all consist of fighting a veteran level bad guy, who sometimes has minions. The upshot is that they can be soloed, unlike the champs you often had to fight in HoT. The negative is that they are only worth 1 point instead of 10, but they have that same infinity symbol that the heart missions do, meaning they will likely be repeatable each day for additional points.

The "Bounties" on the other hand are champ level. There is a bounty board by the Amnoon Waypoint. It seems the best strategy here is to stand by the board and organize a group and knock a few bounties out as a group.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #310 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:

Hmm, I will have to play around with the pets some more. Yesterday I could see other ones unlocked but I did not see to be able to add them.

It looks like the unlock this time might be collections rather than HPs. Hopefully the collections are more lore than "kill the 24 champs guarding the quest object".
Old 08-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #311 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Similar McMillan View Post
Apparently it's also possible to find a juvenile sand lion somewhere in the beta, at least according to a guild mate (who is obsessed with ranger).

yeh, I'm not sure how to handle things. Rather interested in Firebrand, just because I've been playing guard quite a lot lately, but I want to see the others too, so...

huh. That seems ... odd.
I will have to look for that.

As to what profession/race for the demo I am using a human ele. When things go live I will run to change my asuran engineer to a holo, the profession has not been the same to me since I have not been able to throw turrets but holo looks to go nicely with asura. I am still figuring out what 80 I want to make with the new slot though.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #312 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
I'm guessing "Chapter 1" consists of a few instanced missions of which we have only played the first. By the way on my second demo character the first mission went way faster as I already had the mount to play from the very beginning. This is good to know as I have a lot of characters to run through.
I found out on the forums that nobody can get to lily of the whatever, which wants chapter 1. Due to a bug I wound up doing the first part twice and it went faster the second time. I chalked it up to the same way leveling gets faster and faster as time goes on, you just learn the most efficient way of doing things.

BTW, am I the only one that just LOVED having an anvil in the story? I could have done it without it since I did not die that many times but I like having no damaged armor.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #313 (permalink)

My Mood:
I found the Juvenile Sand Lion literally on the border of the demo just east of the Southern Inspection Station POI.

I also saw this while racing raptors:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #314 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

TY, trained.

edit: Interestingly, my test character is the Finnish word for 'test' and I was shocked it was still available.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #315 (permalink)

My Mood:
After some internal debate about what to do with a couple of character slots for Elona, I decided I needed another Thief. I wanted to make an Elonan human, but my current thief was already a human, so I rolled a Sylvari. Meet "Try Anything" (I'm surprised the name was available as I typed it in as a joke -- and it worked!)

My First Sylvari was a Mesmer and is sky blue, born in dawn, my second is dark born at night. I decided to continue the theme and go for a "Dusk" character that looks like a living sunset. (You should see her at night when everything's glowing purple.)

Got in on a HP train through VB and AB and earned 220 HP to get "Deadshot"
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #316 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I also saw this while racing raptors:
heh. I saw them too, walking to somewhere. I haven't seen that movie, so it just puzzled me, but a legendary champ was trying to kill me, so I got a little distracted.
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #317 (permalink)

My Mood:
As far as I can tell, Elite Specializations will still cost 250 HP on PoF. So if you are looking for something constructive to do that does not require spending money, start earning Hero Points to get your Elite Specializations right away.

Up to 364 can be earned in PvE, and an unlimited supply could potentially be earned in WvW. My main character has 363, but the rest of my characters have a ways to go:

Future Soulbeast 363
Future Deadeye 220
Future Mirage 170
Future Holosmith 164
Future Renegade 162
Future Weaver 162
Future Scourge 19
Future Spellbreaker 4
Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #318 (permalink)
Indentured Servant

easily distract---er what?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/03/2004
Client: official

Awards: 1
Special Achievement In Hello Kitty Trolling 
I've finally given this a real chance and am enjoying this weekend. I finally got the mount in the preview stuff and that convinced me to buy the cheapo expansion anyway for the mounts. I boosted my necro to 80 with my HoT boost. Now I have no idea what in the hell I am doing.

I don't really understand the builds and specializations and whatnot. Trying to watch vids or read guides but they use so much lingo that it might as well be in french. So I decided to start a mesmer and am really enjoying it. Now just time to learn what the fuck I need to put where...

Only on SLU can there be an in-depth discussion about the history of packaging for pre-mixed cookie dough and its potential application in vaginally mediated theft. - Nemo Quisquam

NyteWytch is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-14-2017, 05:13 AM   #319 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
As far as I can tell, Elite Specializations will still cost 250 HP on PoF.
There is nothing there about POF and the info comes fromm what users enter anyway. Info about collections was on a WP vid.

It all really comes down to time. Which (HP or collections) is the quicker path to getting the elites.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #320 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteWytch View Post
I've finally given this a real chance and am enjoying this weekend. I finally got the mount in the preview stuff and that convinced me to buy the cheapo expansion anyway for the mounts. I boosted my necro to 80 with my HoT boost. Now I have no idea what in the hell I am doing.

I don't really understand the builds and specializations and whatnot. Trying to watch vids or read guides but they use so much lingo that it might as well be in french. So I decided to start a mesmer and am really enjoying it. Now just time to learn what the fuck I need to put where...
If you are a novice at this, game guides will just confuse the hell out of you. They are designed to make characters as strong as possible, but you have to play them a certain way to do it. If you are doing raids, fractals, or PvP they are important. For world exploring they are not.

Necro can be laid back, just fill utility slots with minions and let them do all the work for you. Staff as one weapon, and either axe/horn or dagger/horn as the other.

You might just want to naturally level up your mesmer, learn the profession as you go. My favorite weapon sets are greatsword for range, and sword/pistol.
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #321 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
There is nothing there about POF and the info comes fromm what users enter anyway. Info about collections was on a WP vid.

It all really comes down to time. Which (HP or collections) is the quicker path to getting the elites.
I saw that vid and I believe the "Collections" has to do with gaining ascended weapons.

HoT had exotic weapons you earned when you unlocked your Elite Specialization, and then objects to collect that upon completion earned you an ascended weapon. Instead of being mostly account bound junk you ended up destroying, the new collections look to be actually useful.

I ended up earning 3 ascended weapons in HoT, two staffs (Druid and Daredevil) and one Longbow (Dragonslayer)

The new skins look really cool. The Holosmith sword looks like a light sabre for example. All weapons skins: https://imgur.com/a/KWV1I
1 User Said Thanks:
Old Yesterday, 02:29 AM   #322 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

A couple of days ago I once again looked at my achievement list and got annoyed by the almost-finished ones that had been sitting there for months and months with no progress.
This time it was the Whisper's Backpack that caught my eye, or that is, at first it was the Agent's pack, because I forgot that that one opens a second collection (for the ascended version), and even though I've done both the Vigil and Priory packs, I'd somehow forgotten just how much work is involved.

I took my new condi ele all the way through the HoT story and then spent a lot of time in the HoT maps doing champs and the metas and such to get the rest of the collection.
So now I have the "The Great Reformer" title.

I actually had quite a lot of fun. I don't know if I've approached HoT a bit too much like work in the past, but I think I was a bit more relaxed about it this time and got sort of a new view on the maps.
Even the DS meta was kind of sort of somewhat fun, -ish, although, to be fair, that might not have been the case if it hadn't gone as utterly smoothly as it did (and I still got annoyed by the crap loot you get). I did not, however, feel any sort of urge to do another DS map completion... (I'll probably regret that some day, but HoT map completions are still a bit too frustrating to be much fun).

I've done about five Chak Gerent's in two days (mostly due to poor planning) and those were pretty fun too. And several Auric metas too. And a few VB ones.

Perhaps the influx of a bunch of new people, mixed with veterans, has made for a good combination of skill levels or something, I'm not sure, but something seemed different.

Edit: I actually even had fun doing Hearts and Minds, which is definitely a first...
Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM   #323 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I wish you could control that list better. It always lists the 3 achievements closest to completion .... even if you have no intention of completing them.
2 Users Agreed:
Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM   #324 (permalink)

My Mood:
HoT is really popular right now as people prepare for PoF. I have yet to get a completed Chak Gerent. I'm going to have to do that while the population is high.

I have 3 professions with more than 250 spare HP, 6 more to go - all of which have HoT masteries unlocked, so the biggest source of HP on those characters is Dragon's Stand.

I just looked at my 3 closest achievements, and ogre slayer has been sitting there for at least a month, and coin collector is number 2.
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM   #325 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Of course this strategy has draw backs, like Arenanet not providing all the info we would like, and having to sort of figure this stuff out for ourselves.
We just had another example of that. Does an unidentified rare/above show up as an 'unidentified green' and does 'salvage all masterwork/below' salvage them or not? Anet did not say boo about it, even though they are not hard questions to answer. So people had different opinions on what would happen and the only way to know for sure was to experiment yourself. In the copious free time we had with the beta this past weekend.

I get that their devs are jam packed so they do not have a lot of time. That does not mean someone at anet with the deets on unidentified gear could not have dashed off a faq doc about it. Even just give Gaile or someone the upper-level design document for that subsystem so it can be reworded for the users. They probably put more work into reddit posts.