Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome - Page 10 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Gaming » Guild Wars 2 - Still Awesome

Gaming Discuss all aspects of gaming.

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #226 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Yes, my main thing for LS3 right now is bitterfrost. Even if I do nothing else I wind up getting stuff from all the home instance LS3 nodes every day. I am taking a semi-break from UM farming since I will be on vacation next week and have lots to do this week.

Yes, have level 3 karmic in bitterfrost and ember. Handy since those are the LS3 zone I kill the most mobs in.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:35 AM   #227 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

SL Join Date: 2007-02-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Yes, my main thing for LS3 right now is bitterfrost. Even if I do nothing else I wind up getting stuff from all the home instance LS3 nodes every day. I am taking a semi-break from UM farming since I will be on vacation next week and have lots to do this week.

Yes, have level 3 karmic in bitterfrost and ember. Handy since those are the LS3 zone I kill the most mobs in.
ow, sorry. For some reason I had the impression you hadn't spent much time in Bitterfrost.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:18 AM   #228 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Bitterfrost is my mainstay, I have yet to do the story but go there and do the berry bushes, frozen chests, dailies (sans elixir), and a few events. I have everything on an excel worksheet and at the moment am splitting most of my S3 time between there and ember.

I have not completed stories after ember though. They have all had final instances that sounded no fun to complete (not that the first was either but did not have much choice).
Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #229 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Just seeing if this works ....... the excel workbook of what I have, The 'ascended stuff' and 'weapons' tabs are the most intelligible.

edit: It looks like the format will not upload, ah well.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:31 AM   #230 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Just seeing if this works ....... the excel workbook of what I have, The 'ascended stuff' and 'weapons' tabs are the most intelligible.

edit: It looks like the format will not upload, ah well.
oh, shame. It sounds interesting.

It's kind of odd how different the maps are.

Bloodstone Fen is where I'd get most of my trinkets from if it didn't take so long to get rubies (pretty sure they nerfed the drop rate from nodes and it wasn't that high to start with). Being able to change stats for 100 UM is really extremely nice.

Ember Bay is okay. Faster to get wood than to get rubies and easier to kill mobs than in Bloodstone Fen. Hearts can be sort of slow, though.

Bitterfrost sort of has everything. Pretty quick hearts, tons of berry bushes, tons of mobs to kill, respawning chests for lots of salvage loot. And you can get rings, accessories and backpacks there, even (well, and breathers, which was quite a surprise. I haven't bought any, but I suspect I will, just for that completion feeling on characters who have everything ascended).

And then there's Lake Doric. Mobs are tough, hearts are extremely slow to do, the nodes barely give you any fragments, and you can't buy much for them anyway. Really strange map. I don't know if the leather farm was supposed to be the main attraction of it or what.
I like the feel of the map, but I spend very little time there.
[Edit: hm. This bothers me, actually. I think Lake Doric was meant to be more like the old maps, more for exploring than for farming, and I don't like that my first thought now is a lot more 'what can I farm here?' than 'what can I experience here?']

I've also spent very little time in Draconis Mons so far (only done the first instance of the LS chapter, even, so I've been way slower than I usually am), but it didn't seem like the one heart I did do was quick at all. Nor like there were all that many nodes.

Last edited by Similar McMillan; 05-11-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Similar McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #231 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Yes, if it was possible to get everything from BF but as it is my largest source of rubies is my home instance node. Stat changing was a nice feature. A shame. I would gladly trade the heat seeking rocks for hearts.

Last edited by Kara Spengler; 05-14-2017 at 05:28 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #232 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

This is probably something everybody but me knew about, but I stumbled over it while looking for something else on the wiki and it's a rather excellent hat, at least for Asura, so just in case:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Iro...ilpipe_Bandana

You get it by solving a puzzle in Iron Marches.
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #233 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I think that skin is soulbound for some odd reason. I sent one character to get it then realized I wanted it for someone else.
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-20-2017, 03:10 AM   #234 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I think that skin is soulbound for some odd reason. I sent one character to get it then realized I wanted it for someone else.
huh. I thought I got the 'unlocked skin' messages (one for each armor class) on the right side of the screen when I solved the puzzle. And I think I also sent the skin consumable to another character than the one who did the puzzle.
I'll have to check, but I know two of my characters are using it and I've only done the puzzle once.

Edit: yeh, it's unlocked for all armor classes for me. Even my newest ele, who hasn't been anywhere near Iron Marches yet, can use it.

Last edited by Similar McMillan; 05-20-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #235 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hmm, maybe a balance patch fixed that? I thought it was odd when I could not use it by all characters on my account.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #236 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Also, least fun mechanic of GW2: Mesmer moa.

Fought the same mesmer in WvW several times and got moaed every time. Nothing you can do against it on necro and you just die.
Then I had a long and fun fight with a thief and the same mesmer came along, moaed me and I was dead. Takes no skill at all.

Whoever came up with it must not play the game at all.

Edit: ow. I think I somehow managed to replace my other post instead of posting a new one... (I was a tad drunk, but still, that's a first).

Last edited by Similar McMillan; 05-22-2017 at 04:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:31 AM   #237 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

You mean the moa skill is not just a joke?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #238 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
You mean the moa skill is not just a joke?
Well, if it is, it's not a very funny one, at least. But it is weird because it must have extremely limited use in PvE (maybe it's good against breakbars on champs, but I've never heard of anyone using it for that), so basically it's only a PvP thing and there it is seriously overpowered.
Perhaps it takes a little skill against guardians, because you have to time it so it hits when there's no stability or aegis, but against other classes it takes no skill at all; just turn them into a moa so they can't defend themselves and then gank them (and I've often seen it used against WvW commanders, who are always guardians, with at least a second guardian as support, so guardians can't really be much of a problem either).

It must theoretically be possible to dodge it, I guess, but since a mesmer can have five illusions up at the same time, it's practically impossible to figure out which one is the real mesmer (who is likely stealthed anyway). I don't know that it has much of a tell in any case; I've certainly never seen one.

I can't think of another skill that has as much impact as moa, and is as unfun.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #239 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Yes, about the only time I have seen it used in PVE is from a NPC (who I assume is a mesmer) at a hero point. I tried randomly using it on a couple bosses to see what it would do but no effect so pretty much a pointless skill in PVE.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #240 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Yes, about the only time I have seen it used in PVE is from a NPC (who I assume is a mesmer) at a hero point.
oh right. Fort Trinity, I think.

Quote:
I tried randomly using it on a couple bosses to see what it would do but no effect so pretty much a pointless skill in PVE.
yeah, I think I tried it once or twice a long time ago and didn't see any effect either.

Weird idea, really.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #241 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Yes, the ft Trinity one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 03:18 AM   #242 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

hrmm. Unlimited unbound magic tools...

I think I'll have to get them because I spend so much time grinding UM, but that's quite a few gems and I also don't like the effects and animations much (really wish we had wardrobe tool skins).
The Dulfy video makes the sickle, especially, seem pretty slow.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:47 AM   #243 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I got them. Actually, if the plant gives more than one thing it is faster than a normal tool as you get them all at once. I like the animations.

What is annoying me is I bought infinite tools a few months ago then decided I would grind UM for all of my characters. I just heard from anet that I have had them too long for a refund .... even though I think 2 out of 3 I do not think I even equipped, I replied asking if I could at least send them to an alt.

Last edited by Kara Spengler; 05-24-2017 at 08:01 AM. Reason: dup sentence
Old 05-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #244 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I got them. Actually, if the plant gives more than one thing it is faster than a normal tool as you get them all at once. I like the animations.
yeah, the sickle is great on the guild hall synthesizers, but I do think it's a bit slower than the ... healing spring sickle (I forget the real name) on single strike plants. I think the old one is the fastest of the unlimited sickles too, though.
I wish the axe just had a beam like the pickaxe, but yeh, the animations are not too bad.
I like the pickaxe best, but I think I need to use my old sprocket pick instead; sprockets went up in price due to condi revenant, and I might also need some for myself.

I'm in quite the 'gather all the things!' mode right now...

Quote:
What is annoying me is I bought infinite tools a few months ago then decided I would grind UM for all of my characters. I just heard from anet that I have had them too long for a refund .... even though I think 2 out of 3 I do not think I even equipped, I replied asking if I could at least send them to an alt.
hmm. Difficult to figure out what is fair.

I wonder what kind of time limit they've decided on.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #245 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Yes, I can see the 'well, you got your use out of them' but the annoying thing is I did not. With few exceptions they have just been taking up 3 sharable inventory slots ever since I bought them. They did not even let me send them to my alt account (not sure why they are account bound in the first place though).
Old 06-06-2017, 04:08 AM   #246 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

WvW update today. It'll be pretty interesting to see how that works.
From the description, it's kind of what I've wanted for a very long time, especially the ability to buy ascended, but it'll no doubt take a lot of work to get enough currency to buy anything.
WvW specific legendary back back is nice too.
And there's even an attempt to cut down on bandwagoning a little (our current linking has a ton of bandwagoners and they're not only no fun to play with, but they have the gall to complain about balance when they're the ones who constantly undermine it).

I imagine we'll get hordes of PvE players now, though, which may not be all that fun, especially not the queues they'll probably cause, but perhaps some of them will get interested and start to play seriously after a while.

Most of all it's just nice that Anet is doing something with WvW.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:23 AM   #247 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Make WVW fun again? It used to be when I ran in there I always encountered something. Now I am lucky if I can complete a daily task unless it does not involve other players.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #248 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
Make WVW fun again?
Well, so far it's just made queues. We had a 138 man queue to EB this evening. I've never seen that before. Queues to all the BLs too.
Which sucked.
And our bandwagoners have been assholes all evening too. They're generally pretty terrible, but this was bad. Team chat has been useless.

As for the changes, it'll take ages to get enough tickets to buy any armor or weapons, as expected (and the last tier of the WvW armor set requires you to be rank 1800 or 2000... I've just reached 1000 and that took about a year).

One seriously good thing is that you get a choice of various stuff from each skirmish chest and you can pick one that gives you a random upgrade. I got about ... 15 upgrades or so that way tonight.
If I had crafted them, they'd required 15x24 flax fibers...
So that's really nice.

There's also some non-unique ascended trinkets you can buy, like from raids, which is nice too, but again, it'll take ages to earn the tickets for them.

Quote:
It used to be when I ran in there I always encountered something. Now I am lucky if I can complete a daily task unless it does not involve other players.
hm. It's not that bad on my server, even though a lot of guilds left.
We do have some rather good roaming guilds, though, and you can count on them to do sane things, like taking towers and camps and to defend and such, so usually it's not too hard to get dailies done (I was also just invited to one of them, so that hasn't hurt).
Old 06-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #249 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

I will see if this works. Most of it is scratch sheets but the "ascended stuff" tab is the most useful right now. A lot on that sheet but the main thing is the table at the top showing characters, their race, profession, desired stats, how many ascended trinkets they need, what rune should go in the breather (incomplete), and then a table of what trinkets they have (color coded by where I got it to avoid the issue of things that are unique). The next columns are what order of importance (priority then 1-9 when possible), any items that are not at least exotic, and if I want condi stats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Any comments on what stats I am going for? For exotics I just got whatever for stats but am trying to be a bit more deliberate when it comes to ascended stuff.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #250 (permalink)
Extendable

Lizzard

Quote:
I will see if this works. Most of it is scratch sheets but the "ascended stuff" tab is the most useful right now. A lot on that sheet but the main thing is the table at the top showing characters, their race, profession, desired stats, how many ascended trinkets they need, what rune should go in the breather (incomplete), and then a table of what trinkets they have (color coded by where I got it to avoid the issue of things that are unique). The next columns are what order of importance (priority then 1-9 when possible), any items that are not at least exotic, and if I want condi stats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Any comments on what stats I am going for? For exotics I just got whatever for stats but am trying to be a bit more deliberate when it comes to ascended stuff.
hmm. It's a bit hard to get a clear impression of what you're going for, but if I'm understanding it correctly, using Ogre runes for a condi warrior seems odd. Runes of the Berserker or Superior runes of the Aristocracy (for might duration) would probably work better.
Balthazar runes might be an option too, especially if you want some armor that is cheaper to craft; all Viper's, plus Balthazar runes, plus traits, would give you something like 120% burn duration and it's capped at 100%, so some of the Viper's could be Sinister instead.
Assuming it's a Berserker, that is (I don't think a non-Berserker condi build will work very well).
The meta is full Viper's, but that's really for raids and fractals, so it's not so useful for open world PvE where you don't get all the boons
(I screwed my condi ranger up by following the meta, for example. My old build worked much better).

Same with your Daredevil, if you're going condi. I use rune of Thorns for my condi Daredevil and they work well enough (along with Viper's gear), but they're pretty expensive and I'm not really convinced four runes of the Nightmare and two runes of of Trapper might not work better.
Right now it's hard to tell because condi Daredevil is so seriously overpowered.
Still, if you're going for cheaper armor, like Carrion, the longer duration on rune of Thorns might work (45% poison duration. 4 x Nightmare + 2 x Trapper would make for 25% general condi duration. Plus duration from traits on top, of course).
The poison field from shortbow #4 is very strong right now, so it might also be worth focusing on poison for that reason (use the Lotus Training trait, pop a poison field with SB #4 on your enemies, then dodge in it to cause the projectiles from the dodge to apply poison, along with the torment and bleeding from the trait. And if you use Carrion or Viper's armor, you can use the Impacting Disruption trait; five stacks of poison causes daze, which, if it interrupts, then causes Pulmonary Impact, often multiple times, for several thousand HPs worth of, slightly delayed, damage).
Maybe something like this:
Build Editor :: Guild Wars 2 Skills
(I'm actually kind of wishing I'd tried Carrion; the problem with condi thief is lack of sustain, so more vitality seems like a rather good idea. Bit too expensive to lose my Thorns runes and to change Viper's to Carrion now, though).

Your other thief seems a bit mixed. If you use Scholar runes, it's probably better to go full zerker. ... Well, likely.
I always want to make some hybrid builds, but it's rare that they work very well.

Balthazar for Chrono, Ranger and Reaper is not a good idea, but I'm sure you know that.

Maybe consider Marauder's instead of Soldier's. Or mix Soldier's and Marauder's. Marauder's is a lot more damage, but still with extra vitality.

But basically, since it's kind of, mostly, sort of, easier and cheaper to get ascended trinkets with whatever stats you want than to craft ascended armor, use them to save on armor if possible (especially with something like the horribly expensive Trailblazer and Minstrel stats).
(Also remember that you can attune ascended rings pretty cheaply, so you can use two Bitterfrost rings on one character. And attuning rings resets the stats, so if you have one you want to change stats on, that's a possibility. You can only do it once, though (well, probably twice if you infuse it too, but that's much more expensive and requires doing icky fractals as far as I can tell)).

Also fun to see you have Seraph on one character. I've never seen any builds use it, except for my own condi revenant. The precision, condi damage and boon duration is a decent fit for that (although it's mostly Viper's and Trailblazer. Seraph helps me get 60% boon duration with Facet of Nature, and the precision helps to get more torment onto a target, so it seems worth it to lose some vitality and toughness).

Last edited by Similar McMillan; 06-07-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: attuning, not infusing...