Gardens - Cooking & Preserving the Harvest - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Food » Gardens - Cooking & Preserving the Harvest

Food Discuss your unnatural emotional attachment to cheese and other such food related vices.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Gardens - Cooking & Preserving the Harvest

This year I decided to plant a fairly good size garden. As you may have guessed from my last two posted recipes I have a huge bounty of sweet potatoes.

I'd welcome any sweet potato and malanga (similar to taro root) recipes. I also have a crazy amount of Jicama and will soon have a lot of Florida Pole beans. I generally use Jicama in salads or just eat it as a snack with lime drizzled over it. If you know of any recipes I'd love to try them.

Coming soon I'll also have Callaloo and Collard greens both of which grow really well in Florida.

Also if anyone else out there has a garden growing and wants to share recipes or gardening tips I'd love to hear them.
2 Users Like This:
Old 06-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I can help!

You can put pickles up yourself - Vancouver Sun
Old 06-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Karuna View Post
This year I decided to plant a fairly good size garden. As you may have guessed from my last two posted recipes I have a huge bounty of sweet potatoes.

I'd welcome any sweet potato and malanga (similar to taro root) recipes. I also have a crazy amount of Jicama and will soon have a lot of Florida Pole beans. I generally use Jicama in salads or just eat it as a snack with lime drizzled over it. If you know of any recipes I'd love to try them.

Coming soon I'll also have Callaloo and Collard greens both of which grow really well in Florida.

Also if anyone else out there has a garden growing and wants to share recipes or gardening tips I'd love to hear them.
I've been known to make sweet potato quesadillas. Peel and grate a few sweet potatoes, dice an onion, saute the onion (toss in some minced garlic toward the end of the onion saute if you want) then add the grated sweet potatoes to the pan. Season however you wish -- I throw in some cumin and oregano, maybe some minced jalapeno or a shot or two of hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste. If I remember, I throw in some paprika to color up the sweet potato, but that's just for visuals.

I've tried doing this with baked sweet potatoes, which makes them a lot easier to peel, but you'll end up needing to saute them anyway to dry them out enough to stay firm. Boiling them is a total fail.

Depending on how folks in your house feel about onions, you might want to even mince that thing --

You end up with, basically, non-juicy mashed & flavored sweet potato. Lay out a flour tortilla, cover half of it with the sweet potato -- say, 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Keep it about an inch from the edge -- it tends to goosh (tm) when you bite it! Grate some Swiss cheese on top of the sweet potato, fold the tortilla in half and toss it on a griddle or a dry frying pan long enough to melt the cheese and toast the tortilla a bit. Grab your spatula and flatten them out a bit as they toast. I think they're best when the tortilla is a bit browned and crispy.

I'd forgotten that dish until you asked -- I'm gonna make some this weekend! I usually make up a bunch, then toss one or two in a dry pan to re-toast and warm them.

I'm pretty sure at least the basic idea for this came from some vegetarian cookbook ages ago -- maybe one of the Moosewood books.

Serve with beer, of course!

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 09-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wanted for Makeup Crimes

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb 2008
Client: Firestorm, Crystal Ball

Someone brought me really pretty and mild banana peppers so I made some fridge pickles.

Last edited by Fauve Aeon; 09-30-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Fauve Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Taking care when growing and cooking exotic foods

As in I nearly killed myself off by eating raw malanga!

It all started when I wanted to make some potato leek soup and I was out of potatoes.

I had two choices in my garden, malanga or sweet potato. I thought malanga would be more like a potato, so I dug a couple up, peeled them and chopped them and popped a couple of the raw pieces of chopped malanga into my mouth as I was going along. I should have been wary because it has a bit of a slimy texture after being peeled.

... Big Mistake ... mouth felt itchy and hot and then went numb.

Panicked, I looked it up on the interwebz and here's what I found:

Malanga vs. Potato | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Basically, raw malanga contains calcium oxalate (also found in yuca, rubarb and even large amounts of spinach).

So if it's your first time cooking something, it's probably best if you look it up. I had to boil the malanga, pour the water I boiled it in off and rinse it before putting it in the soup.

It was a tasty alternative and probably when cooked properly healthier. Just careful with it in the raw.

This is malanga root and malanga plant, it's very similar to taro.
Attached Thumbnails
Gardens - Cooking & Preserving the Harvest-malanga.jpg   Gardens - Cooking & Preserving the Harvest-malanga-plant.jpg  
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks: