Reasons I didn't buy your stuff - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Fashion and Shopping » Reasons I didn't buy your stuff

Fashion and Shopping Discuss where to buy things, where to find things, favorite designers, etc. DO NOT ADVERTISE.

Sponsor:
Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Proud Member of the Meanie Core

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm
Reasons I didn't buy your stuff

I've been on a buying spree the last few weeks, not only ready but positively eager to spend fistfuls of Lindens on new clothing and shoes. Here are some of the reasons I didn't buy stuff I liked at first glance:

* No demos/high prices. If you're selling clothes or shoes for more than L$100 and I can't try them on first, I'm not buying. No matter how mouth-wateringly gorgeous they look, I've been burned too many times to take the chance. And this applies to prim/sculptie shoes not just mesh items.

* Demos that cover up the texturing. Yes, I get that you are terrified of having your marvelous creation used by someone who didn't pay for it, but the answer is not to write the word DEMO all over your clothing with such a density of type that I can't see the texture and shading of your product. This goes for skin demos, too. Texture matters; please let me see it.

* Demos that cover up the product. Giant glowing rings that keep me from judging the way your clothing looks when I don't have my nose pressed up to the texture are equally annoying.

* White untextured demos. Okay, only one store had this, but really, wtf? I don't buy clothing just for shape, but also for color and texture. I don't expect that you'll have a demo for every possible color (although I like it when creators offer that), but I do expect at least a few color/texture samples to get a sense of your craftsmanship.

"Didn't you know that only a fashion blog could create this much chaos? They are the Large Hadron Colliders of SL drama." -- Arilynn

Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

Also, if you add me to a spam list without my specifically opting in on purpose, you can forget me ever buying another thing you make. You'll never know, because I'll have muted the spam object and moved on to other creators.

And if you are selling anything no-mod, your chances of my buying it just dropped about 50%. This includes rigged mesh. I like to tint stuff.
Eunoli Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Because new creators may read this thread:

> Packaged demos of attachments

If I get a demo and it's in a box, even if build is on, I'm not bothering to try it on.

Also, I don't buy furniture, decor, landscaping, furniture etc. that I can't see rezzed. I'm willing to deal with an instore rezzer, but you have to make it easy to find. If you're mostly on the marketplace, get a small plot on mainland somewhere and put a temp-rezzer in a skybox so people can see your stuff.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

give cute a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post
I don't buy furniture, decor, landscaping, furniture etc. that I can't see rezzed. I'm willing to deal with an instore rezzer, but you have to make it easy to find. If you're mostly on the marketplace, get a small plot on mainland somewhere and put a temp-rezzer in a skybox so people can see your stuff.
So frustrating to see a 3D item that looks great on Marketplace (usually full perm mesh for me) and eagerly TP to the store to inspect it only to find a picture on a prim... no sale!
Ricci Beebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Praying for intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

I've passed things by when the permissions on an item are ambiguous or completely absent.

In-world this usually means there's no mention on the vendor, and the item is sold by pay rather than buy, so no one can see the actual permissions of what's being sold. (And references to resize scripts also set the alarm bells rings the same as for marketplace items; see below.)

On the marketplace it's usually references to resize scripts that don't also include a specific statement in the text that the stuff is also modifiable (even if the modify checkbox is ticked – I've been caught before by merchants who don't seem to understand the difference between a resize script and modify permissions), and when the item is sold boxed rather than open to scrutiny in the contents tab.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Spooky Talking Toaster

Spooky eating toast . . . yum yum yum human hand.

SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm
Mixed permissions on clothing annoy the heck out of me.

So the prims are mod, but the layers aren't? That makes it NO MOD

Same goes for no-mod prims with resize scripts, but with mod layers.

SL easily allows you to accidentally your entire pants. -- Adeon Writer

Let me avow you one object that you meliorate pound into your skull pearl: Metric Release PILLS ARE Bastard! -- Some Spammer
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
foreigner

*SLU Supporter*

The other day I was reminded why I can't stand NoMod things with a resizer.
I never buy NoMod things - at least the prim parts of dresses must be fully Modifiable, and preferably the clothing layers too - but a friend bought me an expensive dress which looked lovely in the picture...

The flexi skirt was NoMod and when I made it big enough to fit my hip width it was not only too big from back to front but also the length was way below the soles of my shoes. We don't all have distorted long legs like the photoshopped models in magazine pictures, or a figure like a Barbie doll.

My other pet hate is those damn coloring HUDs, which must be made by somebody who's never tried to actually use it to get an exact color. The bastard who made those HUDs and sold them to every dumb creator in SL should be shot.

Creators who don't trust us with Mod items should at least invest in a better resizer that lets us adjust x y z independently, and provide a proper coloring HUD which works as effectively as the Edit dialog.
Aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sushi0holic

You're turning into a penguin, stop it.

SL Join Date: 1/5/06
Quote:

If I get a demo and it's in a box, even if build is on, I'm not bothering to try it on.
But what if it's in multiple parts? IE. alpha layer, sock/shoe layer, prim of different size types to try....
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

sick of all the bullshit

SL Join Date: October 27, 2007
Items such as skyboxes, cottages, and furniture that are sold from a vendor and the ad doesn't list size and/or prims/land impact. Most people-unless they have a large plot-have very limited prims that they are allowed to use. A lot of people have smaller plots. Not everyone owns an island or even a sim that can bear large buildings or a large amount of prims. People that rent spend money, too.

I simply won't risk buying any furniture that doesn't show how many prims it has. I won't waste the money on something I can't use.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Always on the Outside... looking In

SL Join Date: April 2004
Business: Firestorm Support
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunoli Rain View Post
Also, if you add me to a spam list without my specifically opting in on purpose, you can forget me ever buying another thing you make. You'll never know, because I'll have muted the spam object and moved on to other creators.

1000Xs

And when you are asked politely to remove a customer from the list just do as you are asked instead of trying to make the customer feel guilty or like an ass. You will only end up making yourself an ass and you will lose the customer even if you do remove them.
"All rocks go to Heaven." ~ Our Lady of Martyrs Catholic Church
“Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you.” ~ Kahlil Gibral
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6/30/2008
Generally speaking now...

If you ask me to change my avatar in order to stay in your shop, then I'll TP out. I'm not advertising your competitor's goods and I doubt me wearing that avatar will affect your sales.

If the model of your ad has airbrushed shading or is heavily Photoshopped then I will suspect that you are hiding something about your product. I don't want to buy something that turns out ugly just because it looked perfect on the ad.

If you have an obnoxious profile or show great pride in being a bitch or an asshole, then I'll likely pass up your product too. I don't want to risk being brushed off or mistreated if I need customer support.

If you block my ability to unsubscribe by hiding your subscribe thing in a skybox with a security orb then I won't buy from you anymore.

If you are part of a negative controversy or are needlessly abusive toward people in SL forums, blogs or social media, I will certainly steer clear of your product for the same reason I would to people with very mean profiles.

High prices, vague permissions, no modify for clothes and demos obscured by demo text get me to pass items up too.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira Zobel View Post
But what if it's in multiple parts? IE. alpha layer, sock/shoe layer, prim of different size types to try....
If the prim the customer buys the demo from is set to sell a copy of all contents, and it contains everything you mentioned, the customer receives a folder with everything in it. The name of the folder is the same as the name of the prim.
3 Users Agreed:
Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Sushi0holic

You're turning into a penguin, stop it.

SL Join Date: 1/5/06
Quote:
If the prim the customer buys the demo from is set to sell a copy of all contents, and it contains everything you mentioned, the customer receives a folder with everything in it. The name of the folder is the same as the name of the prim.
Oh my mind is automatically thinking from marketplace. Just because that's where all my demos are at.
Well no, I have hippovend so the demos will be in boxes anyways...
Kira Zobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Under The Bed

Professional Lurker

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/25/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
And when you are asked politely to remove a customer from the list just do as you are asked instead of trying to make the customer feel guilty or like an ass. You will only end up making yourself an ass and you will lose the customer even if you do remove them.

I agree with just simply removing upon request, without resistance, asap, which I have done the 3 times asked, by 3 forgetful people who touched my subscribeomatic sign while visiting my store in the past. I disagreed with the last sentence of your comment, since I believe that it is OK to tell a forgetful person who complains and makes angry accusations of spam, who never purchased from me and therefore is not a customer nor a 'loss', that they are in the wrong, because subscribeomatic is opt in only. I hope that the forgetful complainers justifiably felt like asses, and I also told them that I was not apologizing for sending notices through my subscribeomatic server.
Dusky Jewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Always on the Outside... looking In

SL Join Date: April 2004
Business: Firestorm Support
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky Jewell View Post
I agree with just simply removing upon request, without resistance, asap, which I have done the 3 times asked, by 3 forgetful people who touched my subscribeomatic sign while visiting my store in the past. I disagreed with the last sentence of your comment, since I believe that it is OK to tell a forgetful person who complains and makes angry accusations of spam, who never purchased from me and therefore is not a customer nor a 'loss', that they are in the wrong, because subscribeomatic is opt in only. I hope that the forgetful complainers justifiably felt like asses, and I also told them that I was not apologizing for sending notices through my subscribeomatic server.

In the case you are describing yes. In the cases I have had personal experiences with no. I have made purchases and been added without my consent or knowledge to a subscription database and when I have asked nicely to be removed from that subscription I have been ridiculed for it and told "other people don't have a problem with it". I'm not other people and I don't like being added to subscription services without my consent or knowledge and then ridiculed for asking to be removed from it. That is not how you treat a paying customer if you want their repeat business which is one of the most important aspects of a business. Most businesses will die out without repeat customers. I know this for a fact since I have owned a successful business in RL.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Spooky Talking Toaster

Spooky eating toast . . . yum yum yum human hand.

SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
In the case you are describing yes. In the cases I have had personal experiences with no. I have made purchases and been added without my consent or knowledge to a subscription database and when I have asked nicely to be removed from that subscription I have been ridiculed for it and told "other people don't have a problem with it". I'm not other people and I don't like being added to subscription services without my consent or knowledge and then ridiculed for asking to be removed from it. That is not how you treat a paying customer if you want their repeat business which is one of the most important aspects of a business. Most businesses will die out without repeat customers. I know this for a fact since I have owned a successful business in RL.
I've been "auto-added" by making the simple mistake of being in the same sim as someone's store >_<

No, it didn't suddenly increase my desire to shop there tenfold. Made a nice add to my block list, though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky Jewell View Post
I agree with just simply removing upon request, without resistance, asap, which I have done the 3 times asked, by 3 forgetful people who touched my subscribeomatic sign while visiting my store in the past.
You require a click and don't have the clicky-thing hidden away somewhere. Which, IHMO, is how it should be done
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Monster Under The Bed

Professional Lurker

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/25/2007
I don't buy things based on the following criteria:

1. Overpriced - unless your product is exactly what I am looking for, I can't make it better than you, and you have no competition. If you have many competitors of equal quality and lower prices, I will buy from the competitor who has what I want at the best price. For example, I refuse to pay L$40,000 for a mesh Christmas tree or $L30,000 for limited edition jewelry.

2. You don't give a damn about presentation. I have only found myself shopping from merchant who pay attention to every detail, and attempt to showcase their products in the most creative or professional way possible to stand out. I recognize hard work, and I am prone to impulse buy from stores that put in alot of hard work into their store creative design, vendor setup, and decor, it helps me to trust the product quality (if it is a new store).

3. I will not buy from you again, if purchasing from you put me in your hippogroups, and you refused to remove me after I made a polite request to unsubscribe me.

4. I will not buy from you, if I dislike you personally or am loyal to a an established competitor of yours. Having been in SL for 6 years, I have had my share of dramaz before my friends and enemies opened businesses, some of them way more successful and still going strong. As far as the noob store owners go, if you compete against one of my friends, I might still overlook your stuff. I am always looking for things I haven't seen offered before, though.

5. I will not buy from you, if I admire your quality and skills, but I don't like your style. Different strokes for different folks, always.

6. I am 80% impulse shopper, and if I am trying to find something at your store via in world search or marketplace, and I can't find it immediately upon landing, no sale.

7. I never do hunts. You will never get me to buy via a hunt. I rarely go to fairs anymore, I will check the fashion feed to see if your new products at the fair are worth the visit.

8. I don't have a peeve about mod perms, unless it's a home, hair, or clothing attachments (that are not rigged mesh). If I can't tweak it to fit on my shape, I don't want it. If I can't decorate my HOME the way I want it to look, then I won't purchase.

Last edited by Dusky Jewell; 05-27-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Dusky Jewell is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

Praying for intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira Zobel View Post
Oh my mind is automatically thinking from marketplace. […]
Boxes are completely unnecessary on Marketplace. Upload a folder, or a set of nested folders, and that's how things appear on the contents tab in the listing, and that's how they're delivered to a customer.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
I see what you're doing!

Whatcha lookin' at?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 18, 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to Sally Rosebud
Quote:

Or clothes.

Oh I HATE this! Some of the people who do this don't have a way to open the box on their land either! Doesn't annoy me as much if you can add the box and click to open, but still. There is one place that has lovely clothes that does this, but it's easy to open the demo so I still shop there (every once in a while) but I say WTF every time cause I always forget they do this. Next time, I might IM the creator and politely suggest they NOT do this.
Sally Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

nuuuuuuuu

My Mood:
Business: lassitude & ennui
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
*tip-toes into the thread*

Please, pretty please, with cherry on top, consider sending a quick IM when noticing mixed perms. I try to double-check everything, but mistakes happen, and I am VERY grateful whenever people notify me of such mishaps.

(And it gives you a valuable insight into the mind of the shop owner - any place that gives me attitude upon being notified of a possible permission mishap loses my patronage immediately.)

*quietly sneaks back out*
Jackal Ennui is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 05-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
Slackers unite!! Later..

Silently Judging You

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/2007
I've been turned off by the model for some clothes and the branding. I shouldn't be embarrassed to stand in front of a poster of a model with her tits out and panties around her ankles selling me a skin or hair or shoes, but sometimes I am..

MissKillian Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Shiny Shenaniganator

*SLU Supporter*

Stop dragon my heart around

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post

So the prims are mod, but the layers aren't? That makes it NO MOD

Same goes for no-mod prims with resize scripts, but with mod layers.
Though to be fair, sometimes SL changes perms on things. I've had people contact me because something wasn't mod for them, and I could swear it was mod when I put it in the box. Of course, things get fixed and replacements sent out.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Shiny Shenaniganator

*SLU Supporter*

Stop dragon my heart around

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Quote:
That doesn't work with all vendor systems. I have to box everything for my vendor system, even demos. Of course I could litter the store with demo boxes that are set to sell contents...

This is why I have a place you can rez boxes. There's no perfect solution, but it's the best I could come up with.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

I (well, my alts) DO buy from you, Sredni. But only because I like you!

And your stuff.

And your store is fun.

And you have great customer service.

So I don't need to try on the demos!
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
Defying Gravity

SLU Griefer Clan Member

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2-18-04
Signs accusing me of being a copybotter and other warnings about nefarious behavior.
A good way to scare off your customers is to accuse them of being criminals .

Second pet peeve is merchants who can't be bothered to answer an IM or a note card.
Roxie Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You: